2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

From my abomination of the thread I started because I didn’t see this one:

So just went through Gordon in sw Florida and it was not a big event here, but looking at The Atlantic and see early models of invest 92L and looking like it could head our way. I may be a little nervous from Irma but what say the weather gurus here?

Well first, Florence is looking like a bit of a pisser for the East Coast.  Next 24 hours or so, shear should keep it badly organized, but it's moving into a region of less mid-level winds.  Good chance this is going to be a TS somewhere from the Carolinas up.

92L and 93L have formed off of Africa.  Both have potential.  WAY too early to predict strength or course, but both have a decent LLC.  If the circulation axes line up, they could last.  However, they could make the turn north way before the Western Atlantic.

Right now, Florence is the one to watch. And I'll be in D.C. for it if it lasts.  Oboy!

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hope PhD goes and hangs out with the psycho weatherman from last year. Forgot name, but he survived some cool shit. 

Jeff Gammons?  The guy who live streamed in Rockport from the car wash bay?   I don’t know if I was more impressed by his courage or his Verizon coverage during hurricane gusts. 

• Like 2

You find me a building like that blue one, and I'll fucking sit in a Day After Tomorrow Supercane and laugh and mock the storm and tell it I fart in its general direction.

I actually do have a dog in this hunt, though.  Fixing my (RIP) mom's house up for sale, a few small holes in the roof, the contractors are supposed to patch 'em up Saturday but we're expecting rain all day (like you).  If they can't get to it Sat or Sun and Florence pisses all over D.C. Mon or Tues I'm So Fucked [/Marathon Car Rental, St. Louis]

Looks like Flo is gonna come more north though, hopefully turn and go more north into NE.  We'll see.

Edited by phdhorn

5 hours ago, Ichabod said:

Florence is gonna cause massive hysteria along the entire eastern seaboard

I NEED TO GET MILK AND BREAD. Is the storm going to come over my house? What does Eyeball replacement lifecycle mean? I have a feeling based on (insert irrelevant anecdote) that the storm won't landfall, as the complete opposite is happening.

Edited by Calihorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to make fun of the massive hysteria, but this thing is looking troublesome to say the least.  It's probbaly going to reach Cat 4 strength, quite possibly/easily Cat 5.  And the models are now pushing it more into the U.S. than yesterday when most of them had it taking a big N-NE sweep back out to sea.  I'm spending $ and time prepping my ma's house for resale - I hope it's not for lumber.

Man, I am NOT liking this at all.  Katrinaesque omens popping up (click on the img for the tweet).

Yeah, this is looking bad.  Devastating storm brewing.  High pressure in the W Atlantic is going to block a turn out to the N/NE.  This thing will hit the U.S. at this projected path.  And it could be one of the strongest to do so in years, if not on record.   Right now current path looks to be SC/NC, maybe GA coasts.  More over next few days.

Y'know, I think I WILL go to the store tonight and get some bottled water etc. before the panic starts tomorrow. (I'm 8 miles NE of the District Line in Md.)

• Like 2

Apparently that region has already amassed good rain totals, there's worry with an already saturated soil, that in-land flooding could be nasty as well. Hope Flo makes a hard right turn and gets lost in the Alantic. Maybe head north and.move some ice around.

Some new disturbance in the Caribbean. I can't post a picture on this forum for the life of me 

Here you go. There is a lot of sheer in the Caribbean/GOM right now. That is forecasted to replace a little this week. That disturbance is expected to drift into the BOC over the next few days. It needs to be watched.

326ded0a3f5fc84e734d4df97d7f9c58.png

Been sitting here on the Outer banks the last 2 weeks, fucking beautiful for 15 straight days, no clouds, no bad rip tides, but great surf multiple days, great water temps.in the low 80's. 

Flash forward to today, and the sea has getting fucking angry the last 2 days.  Rough surf, and big low tide 6-8' breaks piling up on top of each other, and building fairly steadily.  The lifeguard just now put up the red NO SWIMMING FLAGS across the street on the beach dune.

Heading inland back into central Va. today, where we may still get fucked if this thing tracks to the slightly northern projected track.

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Been sitting here on the Outer banks the last 2 weeks, fucking beautiful for 15 straight days, no clouds, no bad rip tides, but great surf multiple days, great water temps.in the low 80's. 

Flash forward to today, and the sea has getting fucking angry the last 2 days.  Rough surf, and big low tide 6-8' breaks piling up on top of each other, and building fairly steadily.  The lifeguard just now put up the red NO SWIMMING FLAGS across the street on the beach dune.

Heading inland back into central Va. today, where we may still get fucked if this thing tracks to the slightly northern projected track.

If it continues on the projected track yall are fucked, much less more north. Its gonna hurt the western part of the state more than the coast by the looks of it with all that rainfall

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

If it continues on the projected track yall are fucked, much less more north. Its gonna hurt the western part of the state more than the coast by the looks of it with all that rainfall

Yeah not looking good. If that thing stalls out the whole state is gonna float away.  

Mandatory Hatteras evacuation just announced for today, this part of the beach starting tomorrow (Nagas Head, Kill devil Hills Kitty hawk) .  

I did see one of the Euro model projection that had it hitting more south, on a Charleston centric track that kept the worst part south of central Va. after immediate landfall.  Gonna get one more lunch here, and then bug out back home this afternoon to batten things down just in case.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah not looking good. If that thing stalls out the whole state is gonna float away.  

Mandatory Hatteras evacuation just announced for today, this part of the beach starting tomorrow (Nagas Head, Kill devil Hills Kitty hawk) .  

I did see one of the Euro model projection that had it hitting more south, on a Charleston centric track that kept the worst part south of central Va. after immediate landfall.  Gonna get one more lunch here, and then bug out back home this afternoon to batten things down just in case.

The Euro has been consistently south. Haven't seen any Charleston tracks, but some at Myrtle Beach, which would be karmic retribution for being America's worst city (still hope y'all don't get hit though).  It really looks like Wilmington is in the crosshairs. Got a lot of friends there.

The Euro has been consistently south. Haven't seen any Charleston tracks, but some at Myrtle Beach, which would be karmic retribution for being America's worst city (still hope y'all don't get hit though).  It really looks like Wilmington is in the crosshairs. Got a lot of friends there.
Lots of shade for myrtle beach.. I've been there twice and didnt think it was that bad. The boardwalk area you could see was turning for the worse back in 2011, no idea what the area looks like now

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:
4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Lots of shade for myrtle beach.. I've been there twice and didnt think it was that bad. The boardwalk area you could see was turning for the worse back in 2011, no idea what the area looks like now

I support above ground nuclear testing on Myrtle Beach.