2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Invest 96L, that popped up today, already has an eye. I assume it is forming too far north to be a threat in the Western hemisphere.  What is the furthest north a hurricane has formed?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-51.81,28.06,944

That view is mesmerizing.  

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I have a hard time believing a sailor isn't checking on the weather.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I bet it's that couple from Colorado that sold their entire life to live on a boat and sail the world.

Beat me to it.  For those that missed it the first time:

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/02/couple_spends_life_savings_on.html

Couple spends life savings on Alabama boat, it sinks on day 2

Updated Feb 12, 2018; Posted Feb 12, 2018

A Colorado couple is asking for donations after they sold all their possessions and purchased a sailboat in Alabama only to see it sink in the waters off Madeira, Florida.

Nikki Walsh, 24, and Tanner Broadwell, 26, of Colorado, paid $5,000 in April 2017 for a 28-foot 1969 Columbia sailboat they named "Lagniappe," The Tampa Bay Times reported. The couple, which previously drove for Uber but said they had little sailing experience, spent another $5,000 to fix up the vessel.

Couple%20with%20boat%20sunk.JPG
Nikki Walsh, 24, and Tanner Broadwell, 26, of Colorado, paid $5,000 in April 2017 for a 28-foot 1969 Columbia sailboat they named "Lagniappe." (GoFundMe)

The couple set sail recently from Tarpon Springs, Florida with only themselves and their pug dog, Remy, on board. They sailed south for about 30 miles before entering a channel of water called John's Pass, near Madeira Beach, Florida, roughly two days after setting sail. It was there they encountered trouble.

"We started freaking out because waves were coming, and it was tossing our boat back and forth," Walsh told the Times. The boat struck something under the water and the couple ended up grabbing their dog and jumping overboard with only a few clothes, some important papers and food and toys for Remy.

Local boat captains said sandbars often shift in the channel where the couple's boat capsized. It remains there in about 9 feet of water and the couple is seeking to raise about $10,000 to remove it and store it.

The GoFundMe campaign has already raised $11,421 in just three days.

"We lost every single one of our belongings with no insurance, but we all made it to land alive & we are not giving up on our dreams!" Walsh wrote.

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Beat me to it.  For those that missed it the first time:

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/02/couple_spends_life_savings_on.html

Couple spends life savings on Alabama boat, it sinks on day 2

Updated Feb 12, 2018; Posted Feb 12, 2018

A Colorado couple is asking for donations after they sold all their possessions and purchased a sailboat in Alabama only to see it sink in the waters off Madeira, Florida.

Nikki Walsh, 24, and Tanner Broadwell, 26, of Colorado, paid $5,000 in April 2017 for a 28-foot 1969 Columbia sailboat they named "Lagniappe," The Tampa Bay Times reported. The couple, which previously drove for Uber but said they had little sailing experience, spent another $5,000 to fix up the vessel.

Couple%20with%20boat%20sunk.JPG
Nikki Walsh, 24, and Tanner Broadwell, 26, of Colorado, paid $5,000 in April 2017 for a 28-foot 1969 Columbia sailboat they named "Lagniappe." (GoFundMe)

The couple set sail recently from Tarpon Springs, Florida with only themselves and their pug dog, Remy, on board. They sailed south for about 30 miles before entering a channel of water called John's Pass, near Madeira Beach, Florida, roughly two days after setting sail. It was there they encountered trouble.

"We started freaking out because waves were coming, and it was tossing our boat back and forth," Walsh told the Times. The boat struck something under the water and the couple ended up grabbing their dog and jumping overboard with only a few clothes, some important papers and food and toys for Remy.

Local boat captains said sandbars often shift in the channel where the couple's boat capsized. It remains there in about 9 feet of water and the couple is seeking to raise about $10,000 to remove it and store it.

The GoFundMe campaign has already raised $11,421 in just three days.

"We lost every single one of our belongings with no insurance, but we all made it to land alive & we are not giving up on our dreams!" Walsh wrote.

Welp.  That just makes me a little ragey.

18 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Wasn't the blonde an Aggie?  

Maybe they teamed up with Christopher Crossfit for this trip.

CLASS OF 1991 

Jennifer Appel BSLA ’91 is the owner of Landscape & Design, Inc., one of the top ten landscape architecture firms in Houston, according to the “Houston Business Journal.” A registered landscape architect and licensed irrigator, Appel has designed, installed and maintained a 10,500 sq. ft. green roof for the Humble Oil Marriot in Houston. The all-organic green roof utilizes two minutes of water a day supporting 13 trees, over 5,000 flowering plants and the chef’s herbs. 

Appel also owns Pet Friendly Fertilizer, which designs custom organic fertilizers to reduce water requirements for high profile landscapes. She is a consultant for residential and commercial applications, especially those designed to require little or no maintenance. Appel is particularly interested in native plant green roofs for storm water management. 

http://archcomm.arch.tamu.edu/archive/news/spring2005/classacts.html

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I'm happy although have sympathy for the Carolinas.  Plus, this thing is going to rain out over Appalachia, and in those mountains floods can come through and sweep everything before it.  Crossing fingers.

I too am crossing my fingers that this thing washes away Appalachia.

damn seems like when it hits now there are highs and other shit alll around it and then it just flops right on top of Wilmington for a while, backs out, wobbles south and hits Souf Carolina. Wilmington and the Carolina border there could get 2 to 3 days of this bitch. I would get F out of there. Two time house looser here (Ike and Harvey) like most of you guys and balls to that. Even if your shit isn't F'ed up you may spend the next week eating mosquitoes off your sweaty ballsack.  

damn seems like when it hits now there are highs and other shit alll around it and then it just flops right on top of Wilmington for a while, backs out, wobbles south and hits Souf Carolina. Wilmington and the Carolina border there could get 2 to 3 days of this bitch. I would get F out of there. Two time house looser here (Ike and Harvey) like most of you guys and balls to that. Even if your shit isn't F'ed up you may spend the next week eating mosquitoes off your sweaty ballsack.  
Exactly. A post hurricane war zone with no food water or power sounds miserable af

2 hours ago, Mapache said:

Don't worry Pats got this....

Pat Robertson Establishes A 'Shield Of Protection' Against Hurricane Florence

Why do they believe the media news stories about this?  It's just fake news from the MSM, right?

This will be about like Rush Limbaugh with Irma.  He ranted on the air about the media overplaying the storm and later that day was on a private jet out of the state.

35 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Any updates on the development in the gulf? (i.e., is it going to be pouring rain at DKR Sat night)?

Satellite images and surface observations indicate that a broad
area of low pressure has formed in the central Gulf of Mexico.
Although the shower activity is still disorganized, upper-level
winds are forecast to become more conducive for development, and
it is likely that a tropical depression will form on Thursday,
before the system reaches the western Gulf coast.  Another
reconnaissance plane is scheduled to investigate the disturbance
tomorrow. Regardless of development, heavy rainfall and gusty winds
are expected across portions of northeastern Mexico, Texas, and
Louisiana late this week, and interests there should monitor the
progress of this system, and refer to products from their local
weather office.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^

If that scenario happens with a 150 mile wide hurricane winds then the Myrtle Beach area will be close to receiving 48 hours of hurricane winds.  Whoever chooses to ride that out is really going to regret it.

I would with enough food, water, booze, a good non-fearful woman, and maybe some really good ganja

3 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

I would with enough food, water, booze, a good non-fearful woman, and maybe some really good ganja

Doubtful in a class 4, I've had good ganja and there ain't any that would make me consider riding out a direct hit from a class 4.  A class 4 leaves very few structures if any left standing in it's storm surge zone, which if the tides right can be up to 20' .  

Google hurricane Hazel and Carolina beach. They did a really good video of that event recently. I caught it on facebook yesterday.

10 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

You know you can also pack all five of those things up in your car and drive somewhere to enjoy them without fear of the roof caving in on your fucking back.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

You think I am going to offer my life in a poorly constructed townhome in the middle of the storm surge?  Fuck no.  Give me a hotel room or condo in a tower 50-70 feet up so I can watch all the good shit from above like a damned god.

Yeah no, Those 50 -70' towers probably mean all the glass will be gone from your Mt. Olympus if you're facing the water for sure.  The you have all those stairs to go down when the power goes out for days.