Tennessee State LB Christion Abercrombie unresponsive at local hospital after head injury against Vanderbilt

satyanash

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Unfortunately, soccer players are much less likely than football players to recognize that they have suffered a concussion. So, they are less likely to take the time to rest and get treatment.

........If football is such a scourge, where is the concern over soccer or other sports? Indeed there are a number of sports that are less "safe" than football.

I have no idea. Maybe you are missing something? Considering how widely soccer is played compared to football you would think a brain injury concern over soccer would dwarf concerns about football by several orders of magnitude.

As for football players taking time to rest and get treatment...that is not just the case historically, maybe in the last few years. It used to be, for most of the games existence, they would be out there almost immediately.

Edited by Valmy77

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I have no idea. Maybe you are missing something? Considering how widely soccer is played compared to football you would think a brain injury concern over soccer would dwarf concerns about football by several orders of magnitude.

Not sure I follow your logic.....

My post was ALL a QUOTE from a Fox News article...... Hope that helps

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure I follow your logic.....

My post was ALL a QUOTE from a Fox News article...... Hope that helps

Ok. Many more people play soccer than football, hence if brain injury was a much bigger problem in soccer than surely everybody would be talking about that since it would be a much bigger problem then our relatively tiny sport.

So...why isn't it? I mean it is not like there is some sort of anti-football conspiracy here in the US that would justify us trying to over-exaggerate its danger and under-report soccer issues. Billions of dollars are at stake here for football and we still have lots of people playing soccer.

If it is a news article it seems like lots of facts were left out. Because that needs some explanation.

Edited by Valmy77

Nice racist post you cunt. 

It's alarming pieces of shit like you are allowed anywhere near people's kids, much less as a teacher/coach. 

Racist? Come on dude, we understand you’re sensitive about defending a boring sport but don’t play the racist card when there was no call to. And I find your post sexist by using the word cunt...

• Like 3

Sure but that seems like a freak incident. People are generally not running into each other and smashing their heads together in soccer.

I guess I figured the concussions came from headers.

Or heck, maybe they do smash each others heads together. I am hardly a soccer junkie.

Edited by Valmy77

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok. Many more people play soccer than football, hence if brain injury was a much bigger problem in soccer than surely everybody would be talking about that since it would be a much bigger problem then our relatively tiny sport.

So...why isn't it? I mean it is not like there is some sort of anti-football conspiracy here in the US that would justify us trying to over-exaggerate its danger and under-report soccer issues. Billions of dollars are at stake here for football and we still have lots of people playing soccer.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/01/girls-run-a-dangerous-risk-of-soccer-related-brain-injuries/

Girls who play soccer run a dangerously high brain damage risk August 1,2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/10/25/heading-a-soccer-ball-causes-instant-brain-changes-study-finds/?utm_term=.741af995fd79

https://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/03/concussions.html

Edited by LTtxfan

I see. Well maybe all sports are fucked.

If you have some article like that to post about baseball I don't want to see it. I need something left LTtxfan, don't take it all away.

Maybe over in Europe and Asia this soccer brain damage thing is all they can talk about.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

It's alarming pieces of shit like you are allowed anywhere near people's kids, much less as a teacher/coach. 

Well, dipshit, the observation that soccer is popular with Europeans, Latin Americans, women, and pussies isn’t racist, pussy.

And I’m not a teacher or coach, pussy  

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I see. Well maybe all sports are fucked.

If you have some article like that to post about baseball I don't want to see it. I need something left LTtxfan, don't take it all away.

The Press likes to talk about football concussions more...... maybe because it's so popular in the US and sells more advertising.....

My point is while football is violent and players get hurt, so too are other sports such as Soccer, Hockey, Lacrosse, Basketball, Wrestling and Baseball.

As far as baseball goes a good Texan,  Mike Coolbaugh, was lost by getting struck by a foul ball.  It's the reason all base coaches now wear helmets.

RIP

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Press likes to talk about football concussions more...... maybe because it's so popular in the US.

My point is while football is violent and players get hurt, so too are other sports such as Soccer, Hockey, Lacrosse, Basketball, Wrestling and Baseball.

Ok basketball and baseball players can play over a hundred games a year for decades. Football players cannot. Explain why that is if they are equivalent in the level of violence and injury?

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok basketball and baseball players can play over a hundred games a year for decades. Football players cannot. Explain why that is if they are equivalent in the level of violence and injury?

Did not claim one sport more violent than the other.

I'm just not a fan of folks saying one Sport is ok to play over another.  Society imo is trying to regulate too many things.  Most folks should understand risks in football..... If you think it's too unsafe, then don't participate.  But my Sons loved it and hope their kids can play football too so why should others be able to say "No More Football".

If that's the case..... then I say "No More Soccer" since concussions happen more often in Soccer than Football.....

Just playing Devil's Advocate......

i am tired of lots of folks nowadays trying to tell me what's "Right" and "Wrong"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm just not a fan of folks saying one Sport is ok to play over another.  Society imo is trying to regulate too many things.  Most folks should understand risks in football..... If you think it's too unsafe, then don't participate.  But my Sons loved it and hope their kids can play football too so why should others be able to say "No More Football".

If that's the case..... then I say "No More Soccer" since concussions happen more often in Soccer than Football.....

i am tired of lots of folks nowadays trying to tell me what's "Right" and "Wrong"

I think the perceived issue is that people are getting into the sport before they are old enough or mature enough to fully understand the risks.

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, dipshit, the observation that soccer is popular with Europeans, Latin Americans, women, and pussies isn’t racist, pussy.

And I’m not a teacher or coach, pussy  

Popular with pussies? I don’t get you.  Soccer is literally the most popular sport in the world.  That you don’t understand it or it’s not for you is something totally different than “being popular with pussies”. You are literally the definition of an “internet tough guy.”  All this talk behind a keyboard.  I remember always dogging Wylie and his strength training (although I’ll admit the results weren’t there) and I can guarantee he’d wipe the floor with you.  I guess being dubbed an “internet badass” is something you strive for...congrats?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think the perceived issue is that people are getting into the sport before they are old enough or mature enough to fully understand the risks.

Seems like adult permission is still required for most Sports.  

Trying to improve safety is important, but getting rid of Sports that help lots of kids is wrong in my opinion.....

Riding around in cars is dangerous..... guess we should all stop that too......

/s

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, CowboyFred said:

Popular with pussies? I don’t get you.  Soccer is literally the most popular sport in the world.  That you don’t understand it or it’s not for you is something totally different than “being popular with pussies”. You are literally the definition of an “internet tough guy.”  All this talk behind a keyboard.  I remember always dogging Wylie and his strength training (although I’ll admit the results weren’t there) and I can guarantee he’d wipe the floor with you.  I guess being dubbed an “internet badass” is something you strive for...congrats?

OK, Rainman. Take it to the “Girls’ Sports” board. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I gather we need to a: ban the NCAA from oversight of athletes it seems to lack a heart for, b: form new collegiate sports leagues that use bubble wrap on the fields of play...

The real issue for football is that technical advances have now been able to produce more in depth results to injuries of football players, who on average are more sever than soccer...

It's obvious that future conference realignment will be impacted not only by television/ internet media broadcast deals, but also eventually compensation for athletes & encompassing full coverage insurance that is thorough enough to cover all medical bills, without the NCAA having the ability to intercept any potential funds as seen in the Go Fund Me effort for the TSU athlete...

16 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Just for giggles, I clicked on the reactions to see who liked or disliked your post. Most  of the likes are from posters who have no “community” /barf reputation. I’m not sure what to make of this, and I’m about the last person to care about reputation points. Is  there really a community of snowflake lurkers out there?

10 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Just for giggles, I clicked on the reactions to see who liked or disliked your post. Most  of the likes are from posters who have no “community” /barf reputation. I’m not sure what to make of this, and I’m about the last person to care about reputation points. Is  there really a community of snowflake lurkers out there?

I only pos repped because TexPete’s uppity ass negged but honestly didn’t think it was racist either.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I guess that makes sense for the school to be in charge of the proceeds to be paid out.  Good on the NCAA for now completely fucking this up.

Edited by CowboyFred

21 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

I only pos repped because TexPete’s uppity ass negged but honestly didn’t think it was racist either.

I guess that makes sense for the school to be in charge of the proceeds to be paid out.  Good on the NCAA for now completely fucking this up.

You were the exception to my reply. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Most of them are known sock accounts. Probably his. They went on a neg war against me when I first joined.

19 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Any news on how he is doing?

18 hours ago, immortal13 said:

So does anyone have an update on this kid's condition? 

10 hours ago, runthebone said:

Um, so I don't know what the hell happened to this thread, but is this guy doing better?

not the time or the place for the bullshit, fellas. 

• Like 6

Sure but that seems like a freak incident. People are generally not running into each other and smashing their heads together in soccer.
I guess I figured the concussions came from headers.
Or heck, maybe they do smash each others heads together. I am hardly a soccer junkie.
The soccer concussions are mostly from a flopping player's head hitting the ground when they flop as a mild breeze puffs past them.

There is no massive outcry as you can't tell if a soccer player is concussed as most of them are congenitally brain damaged from birth hence the flopping.

I wonder what the concussion rate is for footy (afl) players.
808e0c0f0aaa9340f479a33bce847ee0.gif

• Like 1

So you are saying women dont like soccer?

17 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

The soccer concussions are mostly from a flopping player's head hitting the ground when they flop as a mild breeze puffs past them.

There is no massive outcry as you can't tell if a soccer player is concussed as most of them are congenitally brain damaged from birth hence the flopping.

I wonder what the concussion rate is for footy (afl) players.
808e0c0f0aaa9340f479a33bce847ee0.gif

I would not mind seeing a Rugby match in the college football stadiums...

2 weeks later he's still critical, very slow recovery:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2018/10/13/christion-abercrombie-tennessee-state-injured-football-player-decals-murray-state-vanderbilt/1628989002/

...Abercrombie's mother Staci tweeted earlier this week that her son was making significant improvement. He was able, she said, to squeeze her fingers strong enough to crack her knuckles.

He also has been able to count to four using his his fingers and has responded to verbal commands. He also responds when he hears his favorite music played....

• Like 2