Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Well, bye. 

Austin City Taco, an attempt at an artisan taco restaurant similar to Austin-based Torchy’s, has closed in west Fort Worth’s Cultural District, citing COVID supply delays and inflation as contributing causes.

The restaurant, 517 University Drive, opened in 2019, offering oak-smoked brisket, achiote rotisserie chicken and house-made blue corn or flour tortillas.

Like Dallas-based Velvet Taco nearby, many of its tacos seemed more like open-face sandwiches served on tortillas. But Austin City Taco never achieved either Velvet Taco’s or Torchy’s creativity or north side taquerias’ authenticity. It seemed lost between the two styles.

Although it was named “Austin,” it was Fort Worth-owned.

“Fort Worth has many great locally owned restaurants,” the sign in the restaurant window announced. “Please support them regularly.”

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Speaking of Shell, had a huarache for the first time from my little Doña Susy on Winscott. Asada beef, orange hot sauce applied post-pic. Slammed, yo. 

D9-BB39-DB-51-A8-4-D13-83-CB-2-D2564-E07

I have driven by this station for years on my way to the Benbrook Y.  Now I am going to stop in on your recommendation as this is the kind of place that has excellent fresh made food and based on the pics and reviews, deserves my business.  Pos rep for the post.

Had the chorizo burrito-HUGE and a meal unti itself, along with a barbacoa taco.  Wife had the barbacoa quesadilla.  They have two new customers who will be working our way through every option on the menu as the food and service was outstanding.

Edited by pch
update
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:39 AM, pch said:

The fries are hand cut and one order can feed two people easily.  Project X is not for the faint of heart and is endorsed by FW protcologists society.  Caveat emptor applies here.😁

I take the fries home and throw them in the air fryer for about 10 minutes 

44 minutes ago, fwtxbevo said:

In my opinion, Trevor puts out the best Q in Fort Worth.

I've been wanting to try Brix for years, from when I heard about his pop ups and time at that dining hall concept.

I tend to get tied up on the weekends, but fridays are easy for me. 

He definitely has a very strong argument for the best in the area.

Elote was good but not great. Grits are very cheesy. Goldees grits still my tops. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tomorrow is National Margarita Day on Taco Tuesday. Some specials... 

▪ Taco Heads, 1812 Montgomery St., and 2349 N. Main St., is known for its 24-ounce margaritas in a to-go cup with a straw for Stockyards strolling. For Margarita Day, Taco Heads will offer a $20 flight of three different margaritas; tacoheads.com.

▪ Tinie’s, a restaurant at 113 S. Main St., will offer $6 casita margaritas with a skyline view of downtown; tiniesfw.com.

▪ Its cousin Sidesaddle Saloon, 122 E. Exchange Ave. off Mule Alley, will serve $6 margaritas named for trick roper Flores LaDue; sidesaddle-saloon.com.

▪ Meso Maya Comida y Copas, 3050 S. Hulen St., is premiering its $15 Isla Mujeres coconut margarita with Osadia craft tequila and also will serve an avocado-pineapple margarita and $5 house margaritas; mesomaya.com.

▪ The Austin-based Chuy’s Tex-Mex chain will supersize any margarita for $2 extra. It’s also offering a new Tito’s Frozen Lemonade drink; Tarrant County locations include two in Fort Worth, Arlington and Southlake, chuys.com. (It’s not the same company as the small, local Chuy’s Restaurant locations in northwest Fort Worth, Haltom City, River Oaks and Richland Hills.)

▪ El Fenix Mexican Restaurants in Fort Worth, Arlington, Burleson and Weatherford will serve $4.50 house margaritas at happy hour; elfenix.com.

▪ The On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina restaurants will offer $5 margaritas with an optional 40-cent “meltdown” of Grand Marnier; ontheborder.com.

▪ Fireside Pies, 2949 Crockett St., Fort Worth, and 1285 S. Main St., Grapevine, will offer $5 margaritas and $12 Margherita pizzas; firesidepies.com. (The tomato-basil-and-mozzarella pizzas are made in the colors of the Italian flag and named for a queen. Don’t expect tequila pizza.)

▪ Fish City Grill locations in Burleson, Mansfield and Southlake will serve $6-$9.50 frozen and rocks gold and silver margaritas; fishcitygrill.com.

▪ Hurst-based BoomerJack’s Grill will serve $5 house margaritas at its eight Tarrant County locations; boomerjacks.com.

▪ The Fuzzy’s Taco Shop chain will offer $5 18-ounce margaritas; fuzzystacoshop.com.

▪ The Dallas-based Flying Fish restaurants, 2913 Montgomery St., Fort Worth, and 300 E. Abram St., Arlington, will offer $5 classic or strawberry margaritas, on the rocks or frozen; flyingfishinthe.net.

Hey, we got a new neighbor. 

Emma Coronel will serve the rest of her sentence in a minimum security prison in Texas, although her lawyers asked that she be transferred to a California prison to facilitate the visit of her relatives.

Emma Coronel Aispuro, wife of drug trafficker Joaquín 'El Chapo' Guzmán, has been transferred to a minimum security federal prison in Forth Worth, Texas, to continue serving her three-year sentence for drug trafficking and money laundering, reported the Bureau of Prisons (BOP).

During the "Presidents' Day" holiday, the US Marshals service concluded the transfer of Colonel Aispuro to the FMC Carswell prison and now her custody is in the hands of the Bureau of Prisons.

For almost three months, the location of the wife of the former head of the Sinaloa Cartel was kept secret. Two weeks ago her release date was published: September 13, 2023, for which she will serve 31 of the 36 months that a judge imposed on her last November.

The new prison to which the wife of 'El Chapo' Guzmán, mother of his 10-year-old twin daughters, arrives, is a "federal administrative security medical center with an adjacent minimum security satellite camp." It houses 976 prisoners in the medical center and 261 in the camp.

Apparently I posted this back in 2019. 

Many moons ago, I used to deliver paint to Carswell. Them husky bitches would throw those 55 lb 5-gallon buckets off the truck like they were stuffed toys. Their cells were fucking tiny too, but it would have been the easiest prison of all-time to escape from if they were so inclined.

Basically just ducking down in the Sherwin-Williams truck would have got one or two out without much sweat in those days. 

They gone. 

Fireside Pies has closed in Fort Worth, ending a 12-year run for one of the last standing full-service restaurants in what has become a slumping Crockett Row bar district.

Fireside Pies closed due to the “changing traffic,” along with industry challenges, a spokeswoman said in a written statement.

Fireside Pies, one of the earliest wood-fired pizzerias in Fort Worth, remains open at 1285 S. Main St., Grapevine, and at two Dallas locations.

The company has experimented with an expanded menu of entrees and specials under a new owner, the Richardson-based restaurant company that also owns the Golden Chick chain.

The restaurant opened in 2010 as Fireside Pies. It briefly operated under a different owner as Thirteen Pies.

The closing is the latest in a series of departures on Crockett Row. The Crockett Hall food court and bar closed in January, following shutdowns by neighboring Fred’s Texas Cafe and by Dallas-based Blue Fish Sushi. (Blue Fish is not related to Blue Sushi Grill, which remains open nearby in Museum Place.)

City officials recently began planning to make parts of Crockett Row and West 7th a no-parking zone after 10 p.m. on weekend nights to improve traffic and safety after a series of late-night police calls, drunken-driving arrests, pedestrian accidents and fights in the area.

The plan will go into effect after meetings with stakeholders, a city streets supervisor said.

As a Crockett Row tenant, Fireside Pies could validate diners to park in the adjacent garage.

When Fred’s closed to move to a location on Camp Bowie Boulevard West that’s still under construction, owner Quincy Wallace said the burger grill was leaving because the Crockett Row area had become mostly bars.

“The money is made from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. down here. .... They want something different than what we have,” he told WFAA/Channel 8.

Fireside Pies had been a holdout even after the Terra Mediterranean Grill lunch buffet and El Bolero upscale Mexican restaurants closed next door in Crockett Row, managed by Phoenix-based Vestar.

8 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Reports from White Settlement says the old train bridge that crosses the highway there is/was on fire and damaged. Absolutely no clue if this is true. It is White Settlement so who knows how high the reporters are.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/westbound-i-30-in-fort-worth-closed-due-to-bridge-fire?taid=6221093518c5730001d4338c&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

9 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

How does a metal bridge catch on fire?  The article says it happened around noon, but I drove by there around 9:30 and they ad already put it out.

Jet fuel, assuming you’re a sheep 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

There is a sneaky homeless population over there.

I came by that exit at noon'ish today. Saw the traffic, exited just before and and went around Ridglea mall. 
I'm pretty sure it was a homeless fire. I've seen tents on that bridge and there are several makeshift housing emplacements all over that area. The city cleaned out brush and trees next to the soccer fields up the road from there so the homeless wouldn't set up their tent cities. Really bad area. 

13 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I came by that exit at noon'ish today. Saw the traffic, exited just before and and went around Ridglea mall. 
I'm pretty sure it was a homeless fire. I've seen tents on that bridge and there are several makeshift housing emplacements all over that area. The city cleaned out brush and trees next to the soccer fields up the road from there so the homeless wouldn't set up their tent cities. Really bad area. 

There was a straight up Hooverville on Cherry & Calmont where the Idea Academy is now. 

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Friend of mine who knows JB says she hasn't heard anything about Waters closing.  

He is not shy about moving, and (post?) covid has to have affected business downtown.  I would if they wouldn't do better somewhere like Clearfork.

I like the 30-minute gap between Boomer & Woody's. He gonna go grab some Rat Toes real quick? 

Does beer taste better when it's been poured by a celebrity? My guess is yes, but you can find out on March 9-10 when ex-Dallas Cowboys Troy Aikman hits six bars across Dallas-Fort Worth in a cross-town guest-bartending wave.

Aikman will not be pouring just any beer: He'll be pouring Eight Elite Lager, the new light lager for health-minded drinkers who watch what they consume, which he co-founded and launched in February. This is a promotional thing, so don't be a wise guy and ask for a Bud or Blue Moon or a Guinness, even if it is just days away from St. Patrick's Day.

Eight Elite Lager is now available on tap in bars and restaurants in Dallas, and Troy will show how a three-time Super Bowl winner can transform his pass-throwing skills into the surgical act of pouring beer from a tap. 

----

March 9 - Fort Worth

• 5:30-6 pm: Boomerjacks, 6001 SW Loop 820, Fort Worth
  • 6:30-6:50 pm: Woody’s Tavern, 4744 Bryant Irvin Rd Suite #946, Fort Worth
  • 7:30-8 pm: No Frills Grill & Sports Bar, 12846 South Fwy, Burleson

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-09-22-troy-aikman-eight-lager-bartending/