Which Is Your Favorite Win Against OU?

Vic Mackey

I need more info from those who were there in 1976. I'm currently writing a realistic fiction piece that incorporates different elements from different eras (the teams are the All-Time teams, played in the 2008-pres stadium with the expanded seating, State Fair attendance like in 2009 when they broke the record, commentators are Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles, etc). The actual atmosphere of the game I wanted to project is 1976 based on the very limited stories I've heard as it's the most egregious example of a toxic atmosphere, not to mention Switzer and Royal will obviously be the HC's. I'm asking for this because there isn't video goddamn 1 anywhere on the internet, at least not that I've seen. I've searched high and low for VHS/DVD, but similarly to no avail. Here's what I've heard so far

-This was either the first or second year of the crowd saying "OU sucks" in the fight song and it was in response to the Tuck Fexas shirt that had debuted the year before
-It was very hot and ice was being thrown across the 50 yard lines by both sides
-"every hit was a train wreck" 
-"Who are the two assholes with Switzer?"
-Royal absolutely dreaded the entire experience from beginning to end
-Switzer is an unrepentant asshole and this was Exhibit A
-both offenses were absolutely brutalized by 2 suffocating defenses

Edited by hpslugga

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Yeah, after leaving the 2012 game in the 2nd quarter I vowed to end my 17 year attendance streak if Mack was still coach because after another blowout he clearly didn't care as much as me.  I blame shaggy influence for the decision to skip 2013, but yeah, nobody could have predicted that beatdown.

No one could or ever should have predicted any of the four Black Saturdays.   After 63-14 in '00 you would have thought that Brown would have learned not to treat that game, anymore, as a picnic.  But that didn't subsequently stop 65-13, then 55-17, and then 63-21.    I will never forget walking out of the Bowl after (during) #3 in 2011 and seeing Tom Hicks walking down the stairs at the main entrance, with a look on his face like someone had murdered his first born. 

Still unfathomable that a Texas coach could be completely disemboweled by OU in such bad fashion, so many times. 

18 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

No one could or ever should have predicted any of the four Black Saturdays.   After 63-14 in '00 you would have thought that Brown would have learned not to treat that game, anymore, as a picnic.  But that didn't subsequently stop 65-13, then 55-17, and then 63-21.    I will never forget walking out of the Bowl after (during) #3 in 2011 and seeing Tom Hicks walking down the stairs at the main entrance, with a look on his face like someone had murdered his first born. 

Still unfathomable that a Texas coach could be completely disemboweled by OU in such bad fashion, so many times. 

Those games would make me want David McWilliams to come down on the field and take over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scholz said:

Mine remains my first one 1990.  The blowu kicker RD Lashar (dude had a permed mullett for Christ sakes) had a last second, game winning kick that he hooked.  The kick was into the south endzone and the UT crowd thought it was good at first.  Then the refs signaled no good and the UT crowd erupted.  Everyone threw their drinks into the air.  An okie granny flipped me the bird on the way out.  It was glorious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTebjS_dOKljjq725UzSnA

As someone watching the game from the opposite end zone behind the goal posts I can testify that the kick was good at first. And the okie crowd started to cheer. Apparently God wasn’t having it so he decided to smack the ball down and to the left. The anguish of Lasher at midfield after he missed it was absolutely glorious. 

The worst game was 2000. Seemed like only big hamp gave a shit and OU could have named its score that day but called off the dogs. It was way worse than 2003. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

As someone watching the game from the opposite end zone behind the goal posts I can testify that the kick was good at first. And the okie crowd started to cheer. Apparently God wasn’t having it so he decided to smack the ball down and to the left. The anguish of Lasher at midfield after he missed it was absolutely glorious. 

The worst game was 2000. Seemed like only big hamp gave a shit and OU could have named its score that day but called off the dogs. It was way worse than 2003. 

You aren't lying. Got 2 seats on the 50 about 20 rows ups through the student draw. Quite literally I was the end of the UT section. Down 35-0 with the cold rain coming down, I broke up with my girlfriend because I refused to leave. I think she made it back to Austin; I don't know. It was no longer my responsibilty.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 1

2008. It was my first OU game to attend as a junior. We were not at all prepared for traffic and had to get out of the car and walk several miles to make it to the game just after it started. Undoubtedly the best game I have watched live. Although watching us beat aggy at Kyle Field was pretty good too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

2008. It was my first OU game to attend as a junior. We were not at all prepared for traffic and had to get out of the car and walk several miles to make it to the game just after it started. Undoubtedly the best game I have watched live. Although watching us beat aggy at Kyle Field was pretty good too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How many junior years did you have? Or did you not have a dad before then?

2008 was probably the best game. There’s been so many great ones but that one sticks out because of the way we thoroughly dominated them at the end. Which makes what ultimately happened by us getting screwed by the BSC so hard to take. We would’ve beaten Florida, just never got the chance. Oh well. So I guess 2005.