2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

2 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

Also with GS being down now,  I’d rather keep PJ, Gordon, and CC on the team than trading for Jimmy. Feel like adding jimmy would lead to a mid season implosion with the other personalities already on the team

I think the House move is foreshadowing no Butler.

So we have

PG - Paul - ???

SG - Harden - Gordon - Green

SF - House - ???

PF - Tucker - Clark

C - Capela - Hartenstein - Davis

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the House move is foreshadowing no Butler.

So we have

PG - Paul - ???

SG - Harden - Gordon - Green

SF - House - ???

PF - Tucker - Clark

C - Capela - Hartenstein - Davis

We should resign Austin Rivers and Faried. Morey really needs to find another SF though

Edited by Houston20

9 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

We should resign Austin Rivers and Faried. Morey really needs to find another SF though

houston plays small ball so those traditional positions are not so relevant.  Just run it back, get rid of shumpert, play the bench more in the playoffs .  Add height with Javale and Looney and Houston is set.  Key is Rivers though as CP3 is fading fast. 

Signing House immediately to this deal is a bit disappointing because it means they can't really sign a contributor with the MLE and it will basically be minimum guys.

It does keep another team from throwing him bigger money when they strike out on other targets but still have money they are trying to spend.

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

houston plays small ball so those traditional positions are not so relevant.  Just run it back, get rid of shumpert, play the bench more in the playoffs .  Add height with Javale and Looney and Houston is set.  Key is Rivers though as CP3 is fading fast. 

I also think the CP3 fade is a bit overblown. IMO part of his regression was due to Eric Gordon’s heavy minutes in the three guard line up. The year before Gordon played the majority of the time with one or the other. Nit both. He destroys CP3s O with his own ball dominance   We were forced to run the 3 guard lineup due to lack of depth last season and it killed the O 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Feels like we won’t get shit. 

Getting Butler was always unlikely. Other than that, we don't have the ability to sign anyone to anything other than the MLE (and it's very doubtful that we would hard cap ourselves by using the non taxpayer version) so anyone expecting big moves immediately was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm sure Morey will be creative and try to get something done somewhere and we'll definitely be aggressive trying to get the veteran minimum targets that we think will fit best on the team, but that will be about it.

Just now, ImGolfn said:

Seems Rockets always miss out on adding free agents.  My opinion is players around the league either dont want to play with Harden or dont want to play in D'antoni's system in either case the Rockets will continue to go nowhere

Lol always? They added cp3? How do you miss out on a guy that was only gonna be acquired through a 3 team cap gymnastics trade? 

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

When was the last time Houston had max cap space to chase a star? It’s usually been through a trade they have got anyone.

The same year they signed Dwight. The year the cap exploded, they didn't have max space and ended up with Gordon and Anderson.

The Lakers signed Lebron last year and missed the playoffs. 85% of these signings are going to look really stupid in 3 years, much like the Ryan Anderson contract did for the Rockets.

If anything, the Raptors just disproved the whole notion of having the super team, as they won surrounding a Top 5 player with a very good cast of basketball players. It was so good, that it allowed Leonard to take nights off during the season to rest for the playoffs.

If Leonard goes to the Lakers, there is a good chance he will not get to take nights off in a loaded West and only 3 other players that can play the game. The Clippers would be a much better spot for Leonard.

The only other reason it worked out for Golden State is they drafted smartly, developed their players, which allowed them to pursue a couple of key FAs and resign their guys, that run of luck and development and an exploding cap will never happen again. Not too mention, the team depth finally declined to the point that their starters basically had to play entire games in the playoffs because their bench was awful.

Edited by HtownHorn

56 minutes ago, ImGolfn said:

Seems Rockets always miss out on adding free agents.  My opinion is players around the league either dont want to play with Harden or dont want to play in D'antoni's system in either case the Rockets will continue to go nowhere

Jimmy chose Miami because of the way they kissed Wade’s taint by being a fringe EASTERN conference playoff team. He’s gonna buy a boat. 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wonder if the Rockets acquire his early Bird rights after the season, allowing them to sign him to a longer deal as an over the cap team.

It appears that since they struck out with Butler, they are bringing the band back together. Just need a backup wing and center at this point.

Edited by HtownHorn

Guys, I'm not trying to change the subject but can anyone answer this for me. Players are signing contracts for 10.20,30 million a year. Where is the money coming from. Obviously this has changed but before this past season, the Warriors had a payroll over the next 4 years of about 1 billion. Is the TV contract that big? 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

11 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Guys, I'm not trying to change the subject but can anyone answer this for me. Players are signing contracts for 10.20,30 million a year. Where is the money coming from. Obviously this has changed but before this past season, the Warriors had a payroll over the next 4 years of about 1 billion. Is the TV contract that big? 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

TV contracts have fueled the salary cap upward movement, and the increasing values of NBA franchises have empowered owners to invest in the teams when they think can contend.

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TV contracts have fueled the salary cap upward movement, and the increasing values of NBA franchises have empowered owners to invest in the teams when they think can contend.

Thanks. Do you know if the sale of the Rockets included Toyota Center because if it didn't, I am not that was a good deal.  Also I wonder if the NBA isn't looking for trouble when LeBron retires like what happened when Bird and Jordan retired if I remember correctly.

28 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Thanks. Do you know if the sale of the Rockets included Toyota Center because if it didn't, I am not that was a good deal.  Also I wonder if the NBA isn't looking for trouble when LeBron retires like what happened when Bird and Jordan retired if I remember correctly.

Yes, the NBA has practically gone bankrupt since MJ and Bird retired. They will probably never recover from it. 

• Like 1

rivers for the vet minimum is an absolute steal.  holy shit what a great signing.
spend the ML on someone like jamychal green or marcus morris and i like the roster going in to next season.
he knows he's going to play minutes here and his next contract will be nice... and it's not like he needs money... he's been rich his whole life.

yes, Toyota center was included in the deal...