2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

You can't bring back D'Antoni. A new approach is needed. Offense wasn't the problem, it was defense and rebounding.

Capela and Gordon are your best tradable assets.

Capela can be replaced by Jordan, no way Jordan's nuts shrink like Capela's did in this series. I also like Kyle O'Quinn.

Got to find another wing that can defend and shoot 3's.

House is a RFA, so you should be able to match.

If Rivers leaves, try to sign Tyreke Evans, though that is going to be really difficult.

Edited by HtownHorn

D’antoni won’t be fires or we would have already been hearing chatter. Also the nba coaching tree doesn’t seem to deep right now, seems they all get regurgitated round and round so it’s not like some great coach is waiting in the wings to takeover.

anything we do to upgrade the roster will be small but morey seems to work magic when he can under the cap. This summer reminds of lay summer only worse and we didn’t do shit last summer either. When you swing for the fences and lose you’re stuck but had we not we would all be bitching because we would be the mavs or thunder and getting bounced in the first round or not making the playoffs.

Durant to the Knicks. Maybe Thompson is sick of being Steph's b****, and leaves too, but probably not with the all the cap space after KD leaves. 

The Rockets still can't beat Curry, Green, and Thompson. It reminds of the post 2005 Astros. You knew they would be competitive, but never win anything of substance. 

Morey should probably blow it up, but he can't with CP3's contract. That thing is going be an albatross. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Time to revisit last year’s end of season thread to see all the people who supported CP3 and Capella getting max contracts for multi-years. JFC. CP3 will be playing like his age soon and Capella....well when will people in NBA (and MLB for that matter) stop letting these flash in a pan guys rob them for huge chunks of the team’s salary allotment for several years and then immediately return to below average?
Do the Knicks want to sign KD and take CP3 and Capella for the #1 pick? LOL I know nm. 
I recall getting mocked for saying Capella was a fraud last offseason. He sucks.
I was on the pay Capela camp... But I also expected him to develop. He seems to have gotten better at FTs, but that's it. He has no game.

I'm still not sure he could have been easily replaced, and I think his signing was the right thing to do given the structure of the team.

He played well during the season...
  • Like 1

You can't bring back D'Antoni. A new approach is needed. Offense wasn't the problem, it was defense and rebounding.
Capela can be replaced by Jordan, no way Jordan's nuts shrink like Capela's did in this series. I also like Kyle O'Quinn.
If Rivers leaves, try to sign Tyreke Evans, though that is going to be really difficult.

CP3 and Jordan (and Blake Griffin) couldn't beat anybody when they were in their prime. Why do people want that now? Is Jordan still good?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

CP3 and Jordan (and Blake Griffin) couldn't beat anybody when they were in their prime. Why do people want that now? Is Jordan still good?

Once an aggy, always an aggy.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Is Jordan still good?

Houston can certainly pay him like he is, that will make Tillman Fertitta happy. Fertitta has a strong whiff of Aggie about him, specifically the idea that you show how serious you are about something by outbidding yourself and overpaying for that thing.

22 hours ago, NowThis said:

after last season i correctly stated that HOU will win 52-55 games. Bingo. 

The team has peaked and is on the backend of the mountain drive. The west keeps improving, rockets are aging badly.

LOL you correctly stated? The only reason we were the 4 seed was because we started off 11-14 with early season injuries and the Carmelo shit so no you weren't correct like you won't be about Houston missing the playoffs. 

I'd also take Deandre Jordan in a heartbeat, He rebounds and blocks shots and does the exact same thing capela does which is dunks. He also imo is 10 times more intense than Capela. Clint is soft as fuck and you don't ever feel his presence on the floor at all but reality is we are stuck with him.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

LOL you correctly stated? The only reason we were the 4 seed was because we started off 11-14 with early season injuries and the Carmelo shit so no you weren't correct like you won't be about Houston missing the playoffs. 

I'd also take Deandre Jordan in a heartbeat, He rebounds and blocks shots and does the exact same thing capela does which is dunks. He also imo is 10 times more intense than Capela. Clint is soft as fuck and you don't ever feel his presence on the floor at all but reality is we are stuck with him.

i predicted injuries, not specifically, but they happen. The 11-14 start counts in the record, you understand that right?  This team is decaying. I see them as a 7-8 seed at best next year with a strong chance of doing a Lebron in the playoffs.   

30 minutes ago, NowThis said:

i predicted injuries, not specifically, but they happen. The 11-14 start counts in the record, you understand that right?  This team is decaying. I see them as a 7-8 seed at best next year with a strong chance of doing a Lebron in the playoffs.   

This current roster wasn’t even the roster when the season started 11-14, this current roster had one of the best records post ASG and of that roster had a full season together they would have been a 1/2 seed and won’t be a 7/8 seed. Just stfu you are a moron.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

This current roster wasn’t even the roster when the season started 11-14, this current roster had one of the best records post ASG and of that roster had a full season together they would have been a 1/2 seed and won’t be a 7/8 seed. Just stfu you are a moron.

you are young , hyper and foolish. I am wise and experienced.  The roster this offseason is going to take a hit, key reserves will leave with inferior replacements. The vets will age and will have major injuries. Houston is decaying. This is the end of the Harden-Paul era, as we had the Yao-Tmac and Steve Francis eras. They came, peaked, and ended. So it will be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

you are young , hyper and foolish. I am wise and experienced.  The roster this offseason is going to take a hit, key reserves will leave with inferior replacements. The vets will age and will have major injuries. Houston is decaying. This is the end of the Harden-Paul era, as we had the Yao-Tmac and Steve Francis eras. They came, peaked, and ended. So it will be. 

What key reserves are we talking about?  We basically had a 6-7 man playoff rotation. 

Are we going to lose Shumpert? NeNe? Green? Gary Clark Jr? House? Manimal?

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

LOL you are a fucktard. Anyone that comes on here tooting their own horn like you do all the time ends up being a fucktard. So it will be. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

What key reserves are we talking about?  We basically had a 6-7 man playoff rotation. 

Are we going to lose Shumpert? NeNe? Green? Gary Clark Jr? House? Manimal?

the short rotation was a terrible decision by D'umbtoni since the bench power was a key strength.  Faried and House can fill up a box score.  I think Rivers, Faried and Green are gone. Was Rivers only making $1.1m? Dude is worth at least $8m/yr.   Can Houston afford anything given the bloated contracts to the Big 3?

52 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

LOL you are a fucktard. Anyone that comes on here tooting their own horn like you do all the time ends up being a fucktard. So it will be. 

And here we have the emotional restraint of a secure, stable individual. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Having Ariza and Luc both over 6-6, they can play D, shoot the 3 and drive to the bucket. 

They weren’t the same players this year, but that was the biggest difference. Length and versatility. 

Ariza isn't a creator, and Luc played like 5 minutes in the playoffs last year because he was hurt, and played all of 2 or 3 games this past season because he was hurt.

12 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Everyone wants to shit on Tillman, cause he is the easy target. But the Genius has been here for over 11 years. This is his system, his coach, his players, his style.

How many times has ownership put the cuffs on anything he wanted to do?

After Yao and Tracy had to retire because of injuries, Morey wanted to blow it up and start from scratch. Les wouldn't let him. Though Morey did fuck up royally by passing on Leonard.

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

And here we have the emotional restraint of a secure, stable individual. 

Didn’t you post at me how you “owned” a team and how you were in Italy eating pizza? lol, that’s some security right there. Telling people on the internet how rich and important you are. Hahahahaha.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ariza isn't a creator, and Luc played like 5 minutes in the playoffs last year because he was hurt, and played all of 2 or 3 games this past season because he was hurt.

Ariza could attack the bucket and was obviously a better defender. And you are correct, Luc never recovering from the end of reg season injury depleted him, but when the rockets were at their best, those two were healthy 

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

House was hurt all knowing one. Shows how much you watch and pay attention dumbass.

Yes, but D'Antoni mentioned that even if House were healthy, his minutes were going to Shumpert due to lack of experience on House's part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Didn’t you post at me how you “owned” a team and how you were in Italy eating pizza? lol, that’s some security right there. Telling people on the internet how rich and important you are. Hahahahaha.

Yes, you're very intelligent for deducing and accepting that I own a professional team in the national basketball association.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Ariza could attack the bucket and was obviously a better defender. And you are correct, Luc never recovering from the end of reg season injury depleted him, but when the rockets were at their best, those two were healthy 

He wasn't finishing well around the basket in last year's playoffs. Still could have used his defense.

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yes, you're very intelligent for deducing and accepting that I own a professional team in the national basketball association.

I’m not the one that posted about it and not being more clear and stating how you are in Italy eating pizza like anyone gives a fuck. We are talkingRockets basketball so head on out to the mobilehoma thunder thread and talk about how the thunder was the shittiest team in the west playoffs this year.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not the one that posted about it and not being more clear and stating how you are in Italy eating pizza like anyone gives a fuck. We are talkingRockets basketball so head on out to the mobilehoma thunder thread and talk about how the thunder was the shittiest team in the west playoffs this year.

You need a tissue, or a pat on the head or something?

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Having Ariza and Luc both over 6-6, they can play D, shoot the 3 and drive to the bucket. 

They weren’t the same players this year, but that was the biggest difference. Length and versatility. 

Basically, this is really what the Rockets need. They made the right decision letting Ariza and Luc walk and I didn't hate the attempts to replace them even though they didn't work out. For next season though (assuming there isn't a huge roster change that I don't think will happen), the Rockets need to add two big wings who they feel confident playing at least 20 minutes a game.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, HtownHorn said:

After Yao and Tracy had to retire because of injuries, Morey wanted to blow it up and start from scratch. Les wouldn't let him. Though Morey did fuck up royally by passing on Leonard.

Alright, so he couldn't start from scratch. No guarantee that was going to work anyway. Was Les in charge of the draft too?

2008 1 25 Nicolas Batum (traded to Portland)
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png FRA SF Le Mans (France) 2008 2 33 Joey Dorsey (from Portland via Memphis) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Memphis 2008 2 54 Maarty Leunen 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Oregon 2009 2 32 Jermaine Taylor (from Washington)[v] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG UCF 2009 2 34 Sergio Llull (from Denver via Oklahoma City)[v] 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png ESP PG Real Madrid (Spain) 2009 2 44 Chase Budinger (from Detroit)[v] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG/SF Arizona 2010 1 14 Patrick Patterson 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Kentucky 2011 1 14 Marcus Morris 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Kansas 2011 1 23 Nikola Mirotić[w] 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png ESP PF Real Madrid (Spain) 2011 2 38 Chandler Parsons 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SF Florida 2012 1 12 Jeremy Lamb 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG Connecticut 2012 1 16 Royce White 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Iowa State 2012 1 18 Terrence Jones 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Kentucky 2012 2 44 Furkan Aldemir (from Los Angeles Clippers)[x] 23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png TUR SF/PF Galatasaray (Turkey) 2013 2 34 Isaiah Canaan (from Phoenix Suns)[y] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PG Murray State 2014 1 25 Clint Capela 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_Switzerland.svg.png  SUI PF Élan Chalon (France) 2014 2 42 Nick Johnson (from New York Knicks)[z] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PG/SG Arizona 2015 1 18 Sam Dekker [ (from New Orleans)[aa] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SF Wisconsin 2015 2 32 Montrezl Harrell (from New York)[z] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Louisville 2016 2 37 Chinanu Onuaku (from New York via Portland and Sacramento)[ab] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF/C Louisville 2016 2 43 Zhou Qi 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ CHN C Xinjiang Flying Tigers (China) 2017 2 43 Isaiah Hartenstein (from Denver)[ac] 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png GER PF/C Žalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania) 2017 2 45 Dillon Brooks (from Portland,[ad]traded to Memphis)[ae] 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn CAN SF Oregon 2018 2 46 De'Anthony Melton (from Miami via Memphis)[af] 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG USC

Besides Clint how many of those guys have given the Rockets anything towards being a contender? And where are they now? The team that keeps kicking his butt, has solid role players(Thompson, Green, Looney) that were acquired through the draft. You have to develop some talent to help your stars out.

Asking Harden to win so many games in the playoffs primarily on his own doesn't work against the Warriors.  Harden is still wearing down too much late in playoff games.... Rockets need to manage minutes better for Harden during the regular season and increase his fitness.

Still think Rockets need a better big guy to run pick and roll more often with Harden and CP3. Better team balance will free up Harden and CP3 more.  And in order to beat the Warriors, the Rockets need lessons in team basketball, better shot selection, using the midrange shot more,  and a hellava lot less isolation basketball.

Just came across this analytical stuff.......

Hey Rockets, how about just win freakin' playoff games and forget all the numbers crap!!

https://digit.hbs.org/submission/moreyball-the-houston-rockets-and-analytics/#

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Hornets lose Walker, if we could swing a Batum for Gordon and another piece deal. We might actually get a draft pick out of it, considering Batum still has $52M left on his contract. I also like Marvin Williams, and his contract is a near match for Gordon's, if he opts into his PO.

Funny you mention Batum..... just bought a ski resort with Tony Parker

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nba-france-parker-idUSKCN1SJ2AN

Also a new article on Batum.....

https://www.atthehive.com/2019/5/13/18617845/charlotte-hornets-player-review-nicolas-batum-did-not-play-to-level-of-salary

Edited by LTtxfan