2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

Gordon does need to go. He's only useful when he's hot from 3 and is scoring mid 20's, because his defense is abysmal and he doesn't rebound worth a shit.

I'd look to move his contract to create space to try and convince Rivers and Faried to return. Maybe with a new coaching staff that realizes securing defensive rebounds is a plus, he'd get more run.

Maybe Hartenstein and Clark develop more, because it's likely that 3 of the 4 guys that played off the Rockets bench tonight played their last NBA game in Nene(for sure retiring), Green, and Shumpert.

Edited by HtownHorn

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bring back Van Gundy.

That would be amazin'

But Fertittas would have to cough up the dough, and More ball would have to admit he was wrong. AND Van Gundy probably likes chilling on the sidelines barely working now

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Gordon needs to go. Bring on Jimmy buckets. It’s Harden Paul Capella Tucker. Everyone else is expendable. 

Fuck shit cunt bitch god dammit 

*because contracts. Maybe find some assholes to take Simon Phoenix off our hands

Gordon is a good player but he is a point guard too. Rockets have an all time great shooting guard, and the 2 best players they get to play with him are point guards. Do you recall the point guards that played with Jordan and Kobe?  Generics. Harden needs a big man to play with. Just like every other great guard needs. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Gordon does need to go. He's only useful when he's hot from 3 and is scoring mid 20's, because his defense is abysmal and he doesn't rebound worth a shit.

I'd look to move his contract to create space to try and convince Rivers and Faried to return. Maybe with a new coaching staff that realizes securing defensive rebounds is a plus, he'd get more run.

holy fuck did you just say gordon's defense is abysmal??

know how i know you don't know shit???

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Gordon is a good player but he is a point guard too. Rockets have an all time great shooting guard, and the 2 best players they get to play with him are point guards. Do you recall the point guards that played with Jordan and Kobe?  Generics. Harden needs a big man to play with. Just like every other great guard needs. 

lolwut?

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

He is the most valuable trade piece we have. Unless someone is still high (and I mean fucking High as a god damned kite) on Capella and his skidmark 

So Eric Gordon is a point guard who is awful on defense? What?

It would be nice if we could move Gordon back to the bench and he definitely shouldn't be kept out of deals that could bring in something better, but he's very much not a point guard and is a good defender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

holy fuck did you just say gordon's defense is abysmal??

know how i know you don't know shit???

Yes Gordon's defense is abysmal. DRtg of 118 for the series, only Green was worse. TRB% of fucking 4.1 the worst on the team.

4 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

So Eric Gordon is a point guard who is awful on defense? What?

It would be nice if we could move Gordon back to the bench and he definitely shouldn't be kept out of deals that could bring in something better, but he's very much not a point guard and is a good defender.

Under what metric is Gordon a good defender? 

Less than 1 DWS a season

-2.3 DPM on average for his career

Career 113 DRtg, and 115 this season

A career TRB% of 4.3

A career BLK% of 0.8

A career STL% of 1.4

His best season of ORtg vs. DRtg was last year when it was 110 to 110, otherwise he's DRtg has always been worse than his ORtg.

He does have a very movable contract and can space the floor as a spot up shooter, but he's closer to the 8th man on a good team than a starter getting 30+ minutes.

The stretch between Curry getting his third foul and halftime doomed us. We let Thompson drop 12 or 13 when he was the only real offensive threat on the court. Letting him dominate when his supporting cast was Draymond, Looney, Bell and Cook was fucking awful. 

Then Curry remembers he’s an all time great in the 4th, and it was all she wrote. 

Fuck. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

The stretch between Curry getting his third foul and halftime doomed us. We let Thompson drop 12 or 13 when he was the only real offensive threat on the court. Letting him dominate when his supporting cast was Draymond, Looney, Bell and Cook was fucking awful. 

Then Curry remembers he’s an all time great in the 4th, and it was all she wrote. 

Fuck. 

It was always doomed. The Rockets best starting lineup has been Harden, Paul, Gordon, Tucker, and Capela. Capela is the only one over 6'5" and he was garbage in the series. 

Thompson is a shooting guard that is taller than 4 of those players. 

The Rockets problem is that they built a team that can beat everyone else with small ball. They need a team that can beat the warriors.  The warriors play small ball with tall people. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Here we are again, debating why we can't get over the hump and how to fix it.  How do I keep falling for this shit every year?

It was always obvious. The Rockets need an all star forward. Paul was a waste of money. Same team with or without him. Same with Gordon though hes an awesome 6th man.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t have a clue what Houston could do. A lot of this is on morey and our early season shit start or we would be a 1 or 2 seed and we need HCA to have a chance. 

I hope he attempts to make a roster move but kinda feels like he doesn’t have wiggle room and will run it back. Capela is worthless unless it’s a lob so wouldn’t mind seeing him get moved for a banger that will grab boards.

• Like 2

Did the Warriors win when Mark Jackson was coaching the Warriors with pretty much the same roster? Yeah that's what I thought.
Actually, they were winning, but young. They got better every year... And Jackson still got fired.

It was always doomed. The Rockets best starting lineup has been Harden, Paul, Gordon, Tucker, and Capela. Capela is the only one over 6'5" and he was garbage in the series. 
Thompson is a shooting guard that is taller than 4 of those players. 
The Rockets problem is that they built a team that can beat everyone else with small ball. They need a team that can beat the warriors.  The warriors play small ball with tall people. 
I said this last week... Team is too small... And getting old.

Dantoni is the current Don Nelson (or the past Dantoni). I said this when he was hired. This style of ball will not win in the playoffs...

Morey is also off..

The math is correct, but the other team can affect the math... And the math doesn't tell you what to do when you're missing the high value / low percentage shots and the other team is scoring. When your team goes on negative runs with low percentage shots, the runs will be longer... And when you play against better defenses, the runs will be longer. Longer runs of not scoring are hard to overcome against good teams.

He has to have this in his spreadsheet, right?

• Like 1

GS had 7 blocks, Rockets had 1 (old man Nene).

Iggy, who was a star in Denver and Philly, had 5 steals which is a lot AND hit 5 threes. Damn the talent. 

Houston has thick smaller football player bodies which allows them to play bigger (like Charles Barkley only 6-4.5") but the lack of length is a hindrance.

Houston will also probably lose Rivers (only $1.1mil), Faried (Downtwenti stupidly didn't play him), Green and House this offseason. Meaning their bench is totally fucked for next year. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Houston misses the playoffs next year with being so old, no bench, and the certain injuries to paul / harden.

This team died last night.  Nice run for about 4 years, now it's time to rebuild, but can't because the salaries are too much.  It's going to take many years to recover from this devastation. 

Miss the playoffs? Lol you are the worst troll poster on this thread.

harden is in his prime he’s not 38, everyone over exaggerates after a loss and while we aren’t winning a title with this core we aren’t missing the playoffs completely because we lost to the eventual 3 time champion haha. If we were in the bottom of the bracket we would have been in the wcf again and we are better than the nuggets and blazers so just stop. 

Why don’t you wait and see exactly who is on the roster first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I honestly don’t have a clue what Houston could do. A lot of this is on morey and our early season shit start or we would be a 1 or 2 seed and we need HCA to have a chance. 

I hope he attempts to make a roster move but kinda feels like he doesn’t have wiggle room and will run it back. Capela is worthless unless it’s a lob so wouldn’t mind seeing him get moved for a banger that will grab boards.

HCA? choked that away last year and couldn't win at home last night with the other team missing it's best player. 

Time to revisit last year’s end of season thread to see all the people who supported CP3 and Capella getting max contracts for multi-years. JFC. CP3 will be playing like his age soon and Capella....well when will people in NBA (and MLB for that matter) stop letting these flash in a pan guys rob them for huge chunks of the team’s salary allotment for several years and then immediately return to below average?

Do the Knicks want to sign KD and take CP3 and Capella for the #1 pick? LOL I know nm.