2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

If the Rockets find the right deal, I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone other than Harden be traded, but this is more along the lines of what I expect.

I just don't really see any realistic Chris Paul trades out there. To Boston for Hayward if they lose Kyrie/Rozier and don't have faith in him every fully coming back (of course, if they are having those questions, do the Rockets really want to do this?)? To Miami for Whiteside and James Johnson (and then a follow up Capela trade of some sort)? To the Lakers for a young player or two if they strike out on everyone and panic (I don't understand why the Lakers would do this rather than just moving down a tier or two on the free agent list)?

The assistant coaches are probably being lined up in such a fashion that one of them will be successor to D'Antoni after next season OR in the middle of next season if D'Antoni falters. This is what I hypothesize given that it doesn't seem like D'Antoni will be jettisoned.

MDA was right to reject that extension. His agent wouldn't call it insulting but I would.

$2.5m is less than a bunch of first time coaches. Incentives for making the playoffs and advancing are great, but trades aren't in his control, so he could definitely fall victim to outside circumstances.

2 hours ago, APMP said:

MDA was right to reject that extension. His agent wouldn't call it insulting but I would.

$2.5m is less than a bunch of first time coaches. Incentives for making the playoffs and advancing are great, but trades aren't in his control, so he could definitely fall victim to outside circumstances.

Coaching contract clusterfuck: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Mike-D-Antoni-s-agent-says-Rockets-offer-13911156.php

Tilman and Morey had to have known that such an offer would be immediately rejected, and that the details of the offer would have gotten out. What was the endgame? Any reasonable person can clearly see that the deal was a joke.

5 hours ago, APMP said:

Tilman and Morey had to have known that such an offer would be immediately rejected, and that the details of the offer would have gotten out. What was the endgame? Any reasonable person can clearly see that the deal was a joke.

To get D'Antoni to quit. Morey has moved on from him already. His style, while great in the regular season, doesn't win in the playoffs. You have to be able to adjust, and D'Antoni just doesn't do it well. I do find it hilarious that Nurse might win a championship after cutting his teeth at Rio Grande.

Morey is going to be the coach... (Joking, but not)

So, here's the problem... It's not that Houston is bad, it's the gsw has greatness...

Durant - Season MVP / Finals MVP
Curry - Season MVP / Finals MVP
Green - Season Defensive PoY
Iguadola - Finals MVP
Thompson - JAG (kidding... to make the point)
You could argue they have the top player at every position (you'd be wrong, but close.)

Houston has Harden and some guys... and wants to throw up 100 3s... With a bunch of 6'5 guys... That style won't win with a bunch of guys against the best guys. Hell, Toronto has better players overall. After Harden and Kawhi, who are you picking next? Siakam... then probably Capella... Then you can decide which old guy... CP3, Gasol, Lowry, PJ, Green, or a rookie... but TOR players will go before HOU... Same with BOS, PHI... After Harden, Houston players are not younger or better or taller... And that's not enough to beat GSW.

So... I will predict that Morey will somehow acquire Seth Curry to shoot corner 3s and some 6'7 guy to play defense..

Just throwing it against the wall... See you in October.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

His style, while great in the regular season, doesn't win in the playoffs. You have to be able to adjust, and D'Antoni just doesn't do it well.

Um, are you under the impression that Houston's offense is D'Antoni's preferred style? He adapted it to his best player's strengths. Yes, he wants to shoot a ton of 3's, but he'd rather do it with movement, passing, and pace (not that that style proved any more effective in the playoffs with Phoenix). What offense is the new coach going to build around Harden that he'd be receptive to with as much individual success as he's had running this one?

The logical path is to take one more shot at it--with a few minor tweaks--in a KD not in Golden State NBA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Um, are you under the impression that Houston's offense is D'Antoni's preferred style? He adapted it to his best player's strengths. Yes, he wants to shoot a ton of 3's, but he'd rather do it with movement, passing, and pace (not that that style proved any more effective in the playoffs with Phoenix). What offense is the new coach going to build around Harden that he'd be receptive to with as much individual success as he's had running this one?

The logical path is to take one more shot at it--with a few minor tweaks--in a KD not in Golden State NBA.

This. 

I also think the series is different for the Rockets if they get GS without Durant for a full series. The level of effort they must expend to play at that level causes quick injuries. See their bench. 

45 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This. 

I also think the series is different for the Rockets if they get GS without Durant for a full series. The level of effort they must expend to play at that level causes quick injuries. See their bench. 

It makes me wonder if the Rockets ever considered training for the various iterations of the Warriors. Did they forget how the Warriors played pre-KD?

Shaka should take advantage of UT professor  Kirk Goldsberry. (Found out about Kirk on a post from another site.). 

Professor Goldsberry teaches Sports Analytics within the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas.  He's just written a Book that NBA and Rocket fans might like....

Front-Cover.jpg

“Beautifully illustrated and sharply written, SprawlBall is both a celebration and a critique of the 3-point shot and how teams like the Warriors and Rockets have used it to dominate basketball. Whether you come away appreciating today’s NBA even more or longing for the days of the post game and the mid-range shot, if you want to understand how the modern NBA came to be, you’ll need to read this book.” 
– Nate Silver

“Basketball has changed so much in the last 20 years. This book does an amazing job of describing where the NBA has been, where it is now, and where it’s going.” 

– Chris Bosh, two-time NBA Championship winner

His Bio:

Meet Kirk Goldsberry:

I grew up in State College, PA in the 80’s and 90’s before attending Penn State. After graduating, I worked as a cartographer for FEMA in D.C., and for Delorme Mapping in Yarmouth, Maine. I Ieft Maine for Santa Barbara where I studied mapping as a grad student and met my lovely wife. We have moved around from California, to Michigan, and Massachusetts, before settling down in Austin, Texas. We have 2 children and I spend most of my time either hanging out with them or mapping basketball players.

Academic

I studied Geography at Penn State as an undergrad before getting a Master’s and a Ph.D. from UC-Santa Barbara. I was an assistant professor at Michigan State from 2007-2011 before accepting a visiting position at Harvard in 2011. My expertise in geography is in mapping and Cartography. I love maps.

Basketball

In 2012 I published my first work on basketball analytics at the MIT Sloan Conference. This paper changed my career. Following its publication, I helped create the 2012 NBA Finals Preview at the New York Times, before accepting a part-time position at Grantland, which at the time was just starting. I left Harvard and academics in 2013 and went to work at Grantland full-time, where I stayed until the site was shut down in 2015. At that time, I accepted two jobs on the “team side” – 1) as the head analyst for Team USA Basketball and 2) as the Vice President of Strategic Research for the San Antonio Spurs. I still do work at Team USA, but left the Spurs in September of 2018 to return to writing and teaching.

Teaching

Between UCSB, Michigan State, Harvard, and UT-Austin, I’ve been teaching at universities for over a decade. My courses aim to enable students to harness the power of graphic communication by understanding fundamental concepts as well as learning contemporary design techniques. I am currently teaching Sports Analytics within the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas.

Writing

In addition to Sprawlball, I cover the NBA for ESPN. 

https://www.kirkgoldsberry.com

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Absolutely this. The logical approach is to keep doing the thing that has made you the only legitimate threat the Golden State with Durant while making a few improvements.

And at the same time, if a trade is out there that you think improves the roster, do it no matter which players are involved.

This seems to be exactly what the Rockets are doing even if everyone wants to panic and think the Rockets are trying to just trade everyone and force the coach to quit.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25459090/carmelo-anthony-last-great-american-ball-hog

UT Professor Kirk Goldsberry previously wrote this ESPN article on the death of the mid-range shot in the NBA -- it includes an analytical section on Harden:

"It wouldn't matter if Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant were more gifted shooters than James Harden. Harden's stats look better because he avoids the midrange as much he as avoids shaving cream."

Scoring Champions

PLAYER FG% MIDRANGE SHARE (%)* 3P SHARE (%) TS%
*From 10 feet to 3-point line, via Basketball-Reference
Kobe Bryant (05-06) 45.0 47.9 23.8 55.9
Carmelo Anthony (12-13) 44.9 38.6 27.8 56.0
James Harden (17-18) 44.9 11.0 47.9 61.9

Harden's analytically correct shot diet is the key to his game. Anthony made 44.9 percent of his shots in 2012-13. Harden made the exact same amount in 2017-18, but his TS% dwarfs Melo's because Harden took more 3s and free throws than any other player in the league.

harden.png 

Basically this Melo article points out how the mid-range game is dead in the NBA.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Even if MAD leaves Dork Elvis will still be there. This is the type of style he wants to play with his players. What’s going to change?

Maybe the new coach will not be afraid to play his other 2 guys 6'7"+ guys, instead of watching his team get out rebounded during critical stretches of games. Maybe also, the new coaches can design a way to not have their tallest player and best rebounder 35' away from the basket.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

He's over stating D'Antoni's market, the Rockets and Morey know Mike has not market outside of Houston.

He may have to sit it a year if he and rockets part ways, but there are definitely teams that would be interested in him.  I mean , he sort of crashed and burned in la and NYC, but Houston still hired him.

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-celtics-engaged-pretty-164444047.html

Maybe Clint can ask to play the Raptors because he wants to play the champs.

I'm intrigued by what Boston could offer in return. I think the Rockets are working with the assumption that if Capela is moved, Jordan is signing.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

I'm intrigued by what Boston could offer in return. I think the Rockets are working with the assumption that if Capela is moved, Jordan is signing.

My irrational hope is that CP3 and Capela get moved together to Boston because Kyrie is obviously leaving.

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

My irrational hope is that CP3 and Capela get moved together to Boston because Kyrie is obviously leaving.

Even if CP3 waived his last year's option, I don't see them taking on 2 years 80m for him. Yeah they might lose Irving and Rozier, but CP3 isn't enough to get them a ring. 

CC is only making 14.5m next year in salary, that's a great deal for any team, and he would fit in well with the Celtics offense. If they are looking to move Horford, assuming he opts in to his 30m next year, CC would be a great replacement. Although, I have no idea who would want Horford at 30m for one year.  

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Even if CP3 waived his last year's option, I don't see them taking on 2 years 80m for him. Yeah they might lose Irving and Rozier, but CP3 isn't enough to get them a ring. 

CC is only making 14.5m next year in salary, that's a great deal for any team, and he would fit in well with the Celtics offense. If they are looking to move Horford, assuming he opts in to his 30m next year, CC would be a great replacement. Although, I have no idea who would want Horford at 30m for one year.  

Horford was their 2nd best player last year behind Kyrie. He'll be 33, so buyer beware, but a one year deal wouldn't be all that bad.

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

CP3 and Cap to Boston for Horford + Hayward? Money is about the same right? 

Nope. You'd have to include Gordon too to make the money work. Horford as a PO for $30M.

But then you have Horford's contract coming off the books after next season, and Gordon next year or 2020 (depending if he opts in/out).

Not sure what the FA scene will be after next season, but you could have the Rockets with a close to his prime Harden and room for 1-2 players.

Edited by HtownHorn

33 minutes ago, NowThis said:

I'd rather keep Capela than get an aging Horford.  If that's the deal, it's pretty desperate. 

It also resets your cap within 2 years. It's not desperate at all, you aren't beating the Warriors with the current core. Capela is unplayable against them, and Paul will always be an injury risk.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

It also resets your cap within 2 years. It's not desperate at all, you aren't beating the Warriors with the current core. Capela is unplayable against them, and Paul will always be an injury risk.

Warriors themselves are on a downward track. Even with KD, they won't be the team of this year.  I thought Cap played well against them in 2018. If GS loses Cousins, Houston has a legit shot.  Their series was the closest by points per game in NBA playoff history 

i don't think they should do anything drastic.  would be nice to add a 6'9 guy who can shoot and defend multiple positions but everyone in the league wants to add guys like that.
harden and cp3 need to spend the summer getting on the same page though.
6'9" guys used to be the Morey special... all he had to do is dig up his spreadsheets from 10 years ago, change the names, press RECALCULATE and Viola... a 6'9" wing will come out for half the MLE.

don't act like you don't know who she is...