Danny McBride, John Goodman, Adam Devine play televangelist family- coming soon on HBO

Goo Punch

Wow, I did not recognize McBride looking at that picture. That group looks so awesome as a religious group bilking its followers out of their money, I can picture it easily. Totally in. 

Crazy lady from Vice Principals will fit right in, never seen her in anything else, but she was great in VP. Not a huge fan of Devine, but maybe in this setting his annoying personality will work. I hope he's a youth pastor, as I could see him fitting that role. He kind of reminds me of one I had growing up. 

John Goodman will star as Gemstone family patriarch Eli, who has built a global following via his ministry and weekly TV show. Though he's no longer the force he once was, he still expects unquestioned loyalty. Goodman also stars on The Conners, the Roseannespinoff premiering Oct. 16 on ABC.

McBride will play Jesse, Eli's oldest son and presumed heir to his father's throne. He wants to take what his father built and expand it for a more modern audience.

The Righteous Gemstones also stars Edi Patterson (Vice Principals) and Adam Devine (Workaholics) as Judy and Kelvin, Eli's other children; Cassidy Freeman (Longmire) as Amber, Jesse's wife, who gave up a journalism career to devote herself to the church and her husband; Tony Cavalero (School of Rock) as Keefe Chambers, an ex-Satanist who was saved by Kelvin; Tim Baltz (Bajillion Dollar Properties) as BJ, Judy's fiance; and GregAlan Williams (Greenleaf) as Martin Imari, Eli's trusted counsel.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...