ALCS: Astros vs. Red Sox

UTexasFight

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is such an absolutely perfect post.
I went to Fenway for the first time in 2003.  (I was running the marathon the next day.)  I felt like I was walking into an old cathedral.  I just walked around with my jaw dropped for an hour before the game.  Saw Roy Halladay pitch, and he was just mowing down the Sox hitters, who gamely kept working the count, got him tired, out of the game, and rallied to tie.  Nomar was leading off B9, and I turned to my wife and said, "If Nomar hits one over the Monster here, this will be one of the coolest days of my life."
Nomar hit one over the Monster to win it.  

i’ve been to 2 games at fenway in my life and that was one of them.
  • Like 1

After seeing that crew, I’d frankly be shocked if the umpires were not a key story in this series.

I’d also be shocked if this isn’t West’s final series. Whether that’s by his own choice or a gentle nudge by the umpire union /MLB, I don’t know.

Post #72 an hour after the crew was announced

God dammit

• Like 1

It is what it is.  Jeffrey Maier doesn't go to Astros games.  MLB replay has made it abundantly clear all season to the Astros that "You're not Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs enough to get that call."

Ed-Hochuli-Cam-Newton.jpg

Obviously the Astros didn't sell enough merchandise this year.

Edited by clapclapclap

Just now, dbecks said:

Is there a scenario where that would’ve resulted in a ground rule double? Or is it only either a HR/out?

The way they explained it was that replay only overturns a call, confirms a call or basically what they did "we don't know what we just saw so the call stands" . I guess if they overturned it they could have overturned it into either an HR a GRD etc...but not sure.  Clusterfuck

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

He was going to catch the ball....with his fucking glove fucking closed???

You didn't see the arms banging against his glove, causing it to close?  Or you don't want to see them, because you're an Astros fan? 

The argument you should be making, is that the ball was beyond the wall...because the way they are explaining it, it sounds like it's a home run if the ball is beyond the wall...which is definitely was.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

“No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk.”

thats mlb comments to the rule 

they blew it. 

Astros robbed of a 2 run homer. 

This is the rule that should have resolved it.  The ball was definitely beyond the fence.

Replay has been wrong about 50% of the time in the games I've watched this post season.

This is the rule that should have resolved it.  The ball was definitely beyond the fence.

Replay has been wrong about 50% of the time in the games I've watched this post season.

That is correct. It was a fucking home run and Jerry West sucked a dick (NTTAWWT) with that call. Fuck Boston and MLB.

That’s all true.....but he squeezed his glove on his own at the peak of his jump. No doubt at all.

15 minutes ago, Monster said:

..but if it's beyond the fence, are the fans allowed to interfere?  Because it looked beyond the wall...

If the spectator does not reach into the field of play, there is no interference.  Here's the definition of spectator interference taken from mlb.com.

Definition

In every case of spectator interference with a batted or thrown ball, the ball shall be declared dead and the baserunners can be placed where the umpire determines they would have been without the interference. When a spectator clearly prevents a fielder from catching a fly ball by reaching onto the field of play, the batter shall be ruled out. But no interference is called if a spectator comes in contact with a batted or thrown ball without reaching onto the field of play -- even if a fielder might have caught the ball had the spectator not been there.

• Like 1

If the spectator does not reach into the field of play, there is no interference.  Here's the definition of spectator interference taken from mlb.com.

Definition

In every case of spectator interference with a batted or thrown ball, the ball shall be declared dead and the baserunners can be placed where the umpire determines they would have been without the interference. When a spectator clearly prevents a fielder from catching a fly ball by reaching onto the field of play, the batter shall be ruled out. But no interference is called if a spectator comes in contact with a batted or thrown ball without reaching onto the field of play -- even if a fielder might have caught the ball had the spectator not been there.

MLB not following their own rules. Shocked.

20 minutes ago, thepop said:

I pretty much agree with Monster. I think the only definitive thing I can see is that the fan caused the glove to close. I can not definitively say however the ball was beyond the fence, but I am starting to think it was.

I bet thepop's statement is how the replay people explained the call. 

They could definitively see the glove getting closed by arms/hands, but they didn't have an angle to prove it was beyond the wall.   

Personally, it looks like its in the first row to me... 

hePsJf0.jpg

Mirrolure, can you see the guy with the orange shirt...his hand pushing/closing the glove...

Edited by Monster