2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Give me an uber-athletic wing and someone who can play above average defense against pg’s and bang home open 3’s.  Bring back Powell, Maxi, and DFS.

I don't know what free agent this is if we can't get KD, Klay or Kawhi.  I definitely don't want Jimmy Butler aka worst teammate in basketball.

Terrence Ross and Danny Green seem to be the next best unrestricted free agent wings that fit that description.  Pretty big drop off.

Unless we use the cap space to trade for someone, I think it's going to be Vucevic.

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Well we're going to see what it's like with just Powell and Maxi as our only real bigs for the rest of the year(Dirk can't play enough to really be counted, particularly on Defense). So we'll see.

I'm not sure KP is a true defensive shut down defender.  He'll block shots for sure.

Also, I think part of the Mavs plan to keep KP healthy is to allow him to play like Dirk did where he's not having to grind in the paint by himself or anchor the team as the rebounding presence.  I think they want someone else to come in and take the bumps and bruises and free up KP to be a pick and roll/pick and pop player who helps out to block shots.

I think a 3-man rotation of KP/Maxi/Powell at the 4/5 works.  I’ll be happy to revisit my wishlist after watching the rest of the season.  What I want to see:

Can Powell/Maxi play more minutes and will their production scale up?

Is Hardaway a starter on a high-level team?

Is Jackson a rotational piece?

Is Brunson a starting PG or a backup?

2 minutes ago, fellside said:

I don't know what free agent this is if we can't get KD, Klay or Kawhi.  I definitely don't want Jimmy Butler aka worst teammate in basketball.

Terrence Ross and Danny Green seem to be the next best unrestricted free agent wings that fit that description.  Pretty big drop off.

Unless we use the cap space to trade for someone, I think it's going to be Vucevic.

I was talking about 2 separate players: 1) Uber athletic wing, 2)defensive-minded pg who can shoot.  I would imagine that a trade would be the more likely way of obtaining both.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I think a 3-man rotation of KP/Maxi/Powell at the 4/5 works.  I’ll be happy to revisit my wishlist after watching the rest of the season.  What I want to see:

Can Powell/Maxi play more minutes and will their production scale up?

Is Hardaway a starter on a high-level team?

Is Jackson a rotational piece?

Is Brunson a starting PG or a backup?

All good things to look for. The rosiest of projections for next year I believe would have us looking at a starting 5 of

Luka

Hardaway

Brogdon

DFS

Porzingis

Backed up by

Dragic

Brunson/JJ

Lee/Jackson

Powell

Maxi

12 hours ago, Drew said:

But obvious it’s Greek Freak right now. They might win the Title this year.

Was at the game Friday.  Giannis is so damn impressive in person.  Freak is right.  Wish I would have gone to Sunday's game instead.  Sad to say I flipped it off in the 4th when Portland had that huge lead and was shocked when I saw the final score a couple of hours later.

• Like 2

The best part about yesterday was watching all the Portland Fans, Dame himself, and even their official account crying about the No call at the end of the game.

All the while Luka continues to get mugged, and, as everyone knows, they do NOT call fouls like that late in the game.  Also, don't tell me that no call cost you the game when your team scored all of 9 points in the 4th quarter.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

yes, it's still Top 5 protected.  And unless a miracle happens, they're sending it to ATL this year.

They want to win, which I applaud. Tanking is toxic. But you know they're gonna trade their 2020 pick as soon as Atlanta makes the 2019 selection. They're itchin' to make deals this summer.

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

They want to win, which I applaud. Tanking is toxic. But you know they're gonna trade their 2020 pick as soon as Atlanta makes the 2019 selection. They're itchin' to make deals this summer.

They can’t trade the 2020 pick.  NBA rule about trading first round picks in consecutive years.  We can’t trade a first round pick until our obligations to NY are fulfilled unless we acquire another pick in a trade.  

I agree. And that why i hate the Mavs fan mentality of “we’ve seen this before, no FA is coming to Dallas”.

Even if that’s the case the cap space they’re going to have isn’t for one guy. It’s for 2. Or it’s for a trade to absorb bad contracts to get a good young player to add to this core(much like the KP trade).

Pretty sure they cant trade that pick next. They may have to draft and then trade that player. That’s the work around.

44 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They can’t trade the 2020 pick.  NBA rule about trading first round picks in consecutive years.  We can’t trade a first round pick until our obligations to NY are fulfilled unless we acquire another pick in a trade.  

Stepien. I was wrongly thinking the NYK picked moved to 2022, but you’re right, they have to make the pick.  

I would bet that the Mavs 2020 pick doesn’t start the season with Dallas. 

Listened to Chris Bosh on the Bill Simmons podcast.  Simmons asked him about the best PFs he ever faced and he doesnt even mention Dirk.

I'm convinced that whole trio never came to terms with the fact that an awkward white European dude was better than them for a series.

• Like 1

Listened to Chris Bosh on the Bill Simmons podcast.  Simmons asked him about the best PFs he ever faced and he doesnt even mention Dirk.
I'm convinced that whole trio never came to terms with the fact that an awkward white European dude was better than them for a series.

Lebron loves Dirk. But it’s just him out of those guys. That’s also why joke ever came to play here. Guys loved Dirk...he just wasn’t a draw like we think and hope Luka is.

BTW this game is going to suck. Already seeing a ton of fouls going against Dallas. Not sure they have the scoring to keep up after Luka.

Those 3 bitches can suck a fat dick

3 hours ago, fellside said:

In fairness, during that offseason I saw Bosh on one of those retarded ESPN morning shows, and they asked him who the best player in the world was.  He said "right now, you gotta give it to Dirk."  I wondered at the time if he was pissed about being scammed into joining those two bitches as the Batwoman to their Batman and Robin, but I always hated him less after that.