2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

Definitely. We're great at home, horrible on the road, so any first-round series is gonna be a toss-up, imo. At least the team has put that 3-11 stretch behind.

I honestly don't understand wtf is going on with Kawhi. Starting to get the feeling he is not the person we all thought he was, but hope that is just hand-wringing from a feckless fan.

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Call your shot: five games left, how do we finish?

My heart wants all five so we keep the 50-wins tradition alive, but my head says 3-2 with losses vs. Portland and @ NO.

I really have no idea. It would pain me to lose the 50 streak by just a game or two after blowing so many games this year and having no Kawhi. But I’ll be a semi-realist and say we go 3-2. Lose one of the LA games and Portland. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I honestly don't understand wtf is going on with Kawhi. 

I'm hoping it's just a case of the tests showing he's fine but his body saying something's still not right.  He still has good years ahead and there's no reason to fuck that up by coming back at anything less than 100%.  Or maybe he really wants to be a doctor. 

1 hour ago, Tommy El Gato said:

I'm hoping it's just a case of the tests showing he's fine but his body saying something's still not right.  He still has good years ahead and there's no reason to fuck that up by coming back at anything less than 100%.  Or maybe he really wants to be a doctor. 

As this saga draws on and on I start to wonder.  It's kind of assumed that even if this session is lost that kawhi will come back next season healthy.  What evidence is there to support that?  He's played only 9 games in 10 months.  He's been rehabbing since September. What is he going to do in the off-season that he isn't doing now? We already know he's taken way longer than average for this type of injury.  If he just going to sit on his ass until August then try to get back in shape?  

Damn it, I missed the game. What happened? How did the spurs win so handily? Did the rockets play like shit or did the spurs play out of their minds? Wasn’t Houston on an 11-game win streak?
Paul was out. Spurs shot fairly well in the second half and the Rockets shot poorly. Thought they did a good job of attacking Harden.

On 4/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

As this saga draws on and on I start to wonder.  It's kind of assumed that even if this session is lost that kawhi will come back next season healthy.  What evidence is there to support that?  He's played only 9 games in 10 months.  He's been rehabbing since September. What is he going to do in the off-season that he isn't doing now? We already know he's taken way longer than average for this type of injury.  If he just going to sit on his ass until August then try to get back in shape?  

All I know is no two injuries are the same.  Until Pop or Kawhi says he's out, I'm still going with him staying in a Spurs jersey.  

On 4/1/2018 at 10:10 PM, XYZ said:

Damn it, I missed the game. What happened? How did the spurs win so handily? Did the rockets play like shit or did the spurs play out of their minds? Wasn’t Houston on an 11-game win streak?

Harden actually played as though he was bored. Nobody can keep that guy from scoring 40 if he wants to...but he seemed to be going though the motions a lot of the day. I have no idea why. Still scored 25. 

10 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Harden actually played as though he was bored. Nobody can keep that guy from scoring 40 if he wants to...but he seemed to be going though the motions a lot of the day. I have no idea why. Still scored 25. 

Bro, Harden literally ALWAYS plays like he's bored. That's his whole thing, he slow plays defenders as part of his offensive game, and never really hustles on defense. And yes, guys can keep him from scoring 40 if they want to, because he scored 10 points in an elimination game in the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs last year.

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Bro, Harden literally ALWAYS plays like he's bored. That's his whole thing, he slow plays defenders as part of his offensive game, and never really hustles on defense. And yes, guys can keep him from scoring 40 if they want to, because he scored 10 points in an elimination game in the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs last year.

I'm sure not saying he's MJ or anything. And we've done a great job on him in quite a few games, last season's elimination game you noted being a classic illustration. The game Sunday seemed a classic example of his "boredom," though. He regularly dribbled around a step or two inside the free throw line, with the defense spread out and his man not even closely guarding him, with an easy shot there for the taking. And when that guy shoots a 12-footer, I really like his chances of scoring. But for whatever reason(s), he didn't even seem to be looking to score.

For as good an overall job as D'Antoni has done in making that team a contender, I'm perplexed why he doesn't push Harden to be more aggressive. Dude is playing just under 36 minutes/game and obviously has great numbers. But I think he could average 35/8/5 without playing more minutes or dominating the ball more than he does now. And he he might have to hit those numbers for the team to win a title. I obviously hope they don't. 

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

For as good an overall job as D'Antoni has done in making that team a contender, I'm perplexed why he doesn't push Harden to be more aggressive. Dude is playing just under 36 minutes/game and obviously has great numbers. But I think he could average 35/8/5 without playing more minutes or dominating the ball more than he does now. And he he might have to hit those numbers for the team to win a title. I obviously hope they don't. 

This might not be what you mean at all, but I started thinking of Westbrook as I read that. If he were to put the team on his back and start aiming for 35/8/5 a game, is there a chance he just turns into Russell. Obviously he's a better shooter, but maybe he just has more control of himself to not just start throwing up 25 shots a game.

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

This might not be what you mean at all, but I started thinking of Westbrook as I read that. If he were to put the team on his back and start aiming for 35/8/5 a game, is there a chance he just turns into Russell. Obviously he's a better shooter, but maybe he just has more control of himself to not just start throwing up 25 shots a game.

I wasn't thinking of Russ when I wrote that, but I can see why you might think I was. The biggest differences in those guys' games (other than the ferocity with which Russ plays) would seem to be pure shooting talent. Harden is Gervinesque in how he seems to be able to score without breaking a sweat. Just insane shooting ability. Russ reminds me much more of MJ or Dominique in relying on a blend of sheer athleticism and force of will to put the ball in the hole. But he obviously can do just that. If he had some of the Rockets' shooters around him, or perhaps d'Antoni running the show, no telling what his numbers might be.

Anyway, maybe none of this has much to do with how the Spurs season goes. But I do think it means we have a puncher's chance if we face Houston in Round 2. For as good as the Rockets have been the past couple years, SA is at least somewhat in their cabezas.     

I guess we’ll know pretty quickly. 

1. Spurs don’t offer the max extension and trade him to hell.

2. Spurs offer a max deal but Kawhi doesn’t sign and asks for a trade which would just be idiotic. 

3. Sign and trade with a team who doesn’t mind paying him $50 million a season at the end of his contract. 

4. Spurs and Kawhi kiss and hug. Kawhi then fucks Tony Parker’s wife thus fulfilling the karmic nature of the universe.

Welp, I'm actually for the first time entertaining the idea that Kawhi may never play another game with the Spurs. I had written off all this crap with his uncle but I was told (insert Bobby Burton joke) that his uncle is the one who leaked the players only meeting to the media. I have no idea what his motives are, but it seems like he's doing everything he can to undermine the Spurs. There's always an uncle.

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp, I'm actually for the first time entertaining the idea that Kawhi may never play another game with the Spurs. I had written off all this crap with his uncle but I was told (insert Bobby Burton joke) that his uncle is the one who leaked the players only meeting to the media. I have no idea what his motives are, but it seems like he's doing everything he can to undermine the Spurs. There's always an uncle.

What!?  You were the only voice keeping me sane over here!  Full panic!

I keed!  It used to hurt my feelings, but I've gotten over it.  If he doesn't want to be here, let him go and he'll forever be dead to me.  If he does, great!  

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Sorry if I missed something in the thread, but tell me more about the player's meeting?

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Sorry if I missed something in the thread, but tell me more about the player's meeting?

Tony Parker called a players only meeting where the vets basically implored Kawhi to come back and play, or explain wtf was going on. It was allegedly very heated and emotional. 

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tony Parker called a players only meeting where the vets basically implored Kawhi to come back and play, or explain wtf was going on. It was allegedly very heated and emotional. 

Unless you believe Danny Green..... Only the guys in the meeting really know how heated it was.  Regardless, it's not a good look to have your teammates wondering about your status because they feel they're in the dark on the subject.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not to be that guy, but it Kawhi is traded there's a lot of talk around Boston. 

Flipping Brown or Tatum with a high draft pick certainly wouldn't be terrible. 

Not saying history is in any way relevant, but if I'm an All-NBAer already gun-shy about my health, do I really want to play in the land of Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas, Reggie Lewis and Len Bias?  

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Not saying history is in any way relevant, but if I'm an All-NBAer already gun-shy about my health, do I really want to play in the land of Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas, Reggie Lewis and Len Bias?  

At some point, some enterprising person in this thread is going to have to break down all the teams, and the players and assets they can offer.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Unless you believe Danny Green..... Only the guys in the meeting really know how heated it was.  Regardless, it's not a good look to have your teammates wondering about your status because they feel they're in the dark on the subject.

Danny and Brandon Paul. Both of whom refuted that it was heated and emotional.

At this point, I'm not sure how the Spurs could be comfortable with giving Kawhi a super max based on the injuries and apparent divide with the organization. 

I hate to say it,but I think the right move is to make a trade and get value while you can. 

The Spurs flipping Brown or Tatum with a high draft pick is a lot of value in return. Granted, that's complete speculation that the Cetlics would make that move. 

Edited by texasstrong12

13 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I mean..... do we care?  If Boston or any other team where we like the package is willing to risk it, do we really care what he wants?  If they're willing to assume the risk (sort of like OKC is doing with George), then you take the best package available.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

I mean..... do we care?  If Boston or any other team where we like the package is willing to risk it, do we really care what he wants?  If they're willing to assume the risk (sort of like OKC is doing with George), then you take the best package available.

Oh, I know. Spurs wouldn't have any reason to care. Just weird to hear about a potential destination for a mysteriously injured guy being the one place guys go to suffer nasty injuries...or way, way worse. 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

At this point, I'm not sure how the Spurs could be comfortable with giving Kawhi a super max based on the injuries and apparent divide with the organization. 

I hate to say it,but I think the right move is to make a trade and get value while you can. 

The Spurs flipping Brown or Tatum with a high draft pick is a lot of value in return. Granted, that's complete speculation that the Cetlics would make that move. 

This is pretty much where I am.  If he's willing to come back and ball out next year and prove he's healthy, I'm still not sure it's a great move to allocate 35% of your salary cap to a guy who's had some other injury issues.  Most are goofy and coincidental but he needs to prove he's healthy and still a top 3 player before I would offer the supermax and even then it could go very, very wrong....

• Like 1

The Spurs would be extremely fortunate to get that haul. Either that or Kuzma and Ingraham. Either way, they’re holding a shit sandwich, but it’s a shit sandwich that actually plays, hopefully communicates with its teammates, and doesn’t cost $50 million a season.

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There's no chance Boston would give up Brown and Tatum. They might not even give up one of them. 

Then they wouldn't get Kawhi..... Someone is going to give a good young player (future AS potential), lottery pick, and rotational player.  Frankly, it'll probably be more.