2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

29 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Coach doesn’t know what’s up. Teammates ain’t heard from him or see him. Won’t show up to the games. Major NBA writers with sources in both camps commenting on the disconnect. GM’s from other teams circling. That “between the lines drama” is at a “Requiem for a Dream” level.

I completely agree that the silence is odd.  However, I don't believe that means sure fire he's gone. I've heard nothing from Kawhi or the organization saying he doesn't want to be there.

If Kawhi truly wants out, the only semi-plausible business reason I can come up with is that his “team” believes that his shoe and/or other deals are worth way more in a bigger, more glamorous market, and that this is the best time to apply pressure for a move to one of those cities. This of course presumes the difference in salary would more than be offset by endorsements. 

True? I have no idea. Just wondering. 

The thing about that line of thought is that there is absolutely nothing preventing him from getting endorsements in San Antonio. His main detriment is that he has the personality of the shoes he so badly wants compensation for wearing. That’s not going to change in L.A.

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

The thing about that line of thought is that there is absolutely nothing preventing him from getting endorsements in San Antonio. His main detriment is that he has the personality of the shoes he so badly wants compensation for wearing. That’s not going to change in L.A.

Probably so. I’m just trying to come up with something other than distrust/homesickness/etc. Of course, I still want to see him a Spur for life...as of now.

7 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Kawhi truly wants out, the only semi-plausible business reason I can come up with is that his “team” believes that his shoe and/or other deals are worth way more in a bigger, more glamorous market, and that this is the best time to apply pressure for a move to one of those cities. This of course presumes the difference in salary would more than be offset by endorsements. 

Good let's send his ass to New York. Pretty sure PATFO could get Manhattan for Kawhi and a handful of beads.

Also, this is why Kawhi doesn't get national endorsements...

yDj3wv6.jpg

kawhi-leonard-after-scoring-a-game-winni

250d7ebb5b9bc7b56d5d3bf84039a9bf3da55add

Tom Brady gets away with being boring by being a champion. Winning will solve everything for Kawhi, if he bothers to show up and play for one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time.

17 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Well he already has a ring and FInals MVP.

Let's swap him for Porizingis.  Sounds like him and NY aren't getting along.  Both could use a change of scenery.  

The more boring you are, the more championships you need. Took Brady about four of them and a marriage to a supermodel before he really gained acceptance in the mainstream.

Good Luck to Los Spurs tonight! I really want to see a good long series and to do that, a win tonight would go a long way!

I personally would switch out Anderson for Gay in the starting lineup to hopefully create some more offense. The SA starters were outscored 81-33. Although Javale McGee giving them 15 as a starter was probably an aberration.

The frustrating part about playing the Warriors isn't when Durant or Curry are doing otherworldly video game shit, or when Klay can't miss or when Green is acting like a bitch. No, the frustrating part is when scrubs like Livingston or McGee tear your ass up or Iguodala (note: not a scrub) starts killing you. That's the kind of shit that drives me crazy. You expect the great players to do great things, but their role players have just given the Spurs fits over the past couple of years.

PS. Fuck you Zaza

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The frustrating part about playing the Warriors isn't when Durant or Curry are doing otherworldly video game shit, or when Klay can't miss or when Green is acting like a bitch. No, the frustrating part is when scrubs like Livingston or McGee tear your ass up or Iguodala (note: not a scrub) starts killing you. That's the kind of shit that drives me crazy. You expect the great players to do great things, but their role players have just given the Spurs fits over the past couple of years.

PS. Fuck you Zaza

Fuck Zaza in the ass with a hot poker. Shit hasn't been right since his dirty play last year.

I think he is being told that he won't get a supermax from SA.  I'm not sure if that is true or not but SA doesn't typically hand out max contracts does it?  Aside from LMA (is he even max?) have they ever maxed someone?  Maybe he is just positioning himself to walk away and not be the bad guy like KD is/was.

Beyond that, at this point, would he even be welcomed back to the bench if he said he was ready to play?  Sure you take good players when you can get them, but with Pop, TP, and Manu all voicing frustration with the events would he just kill whatever culture is there?  I have to believe a this point a trade over the summer is imminent.  

4 hours ago, F250 said:

I miss Tim and all the leadership and stability he brought to the Spurs.

Seems like Tim needs to fly to ny and just pop in a dvd of tims last game where he hobbled around on one leg for 34 minutes and score 18.  Then say "ill see you in oakland" and leaves.  (Tim wouldn't actually have to go to oakland)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I think he is being told that he won't get a supermax from SA.  I'm not sure if that is true or not but SA doesn't typically hand out max contracts does it?  Aside from LMA (is he even max?) have they ever maxed someone?  Maybe he is just positioning himself to walk away and not be the bad guy like KD is/was.

Beyond that, at this point, would he even be welcomed back to the bench if he said he was ready to play?  Sure you take good players when you can get them, but with Pop, TP, and Manu all voicing frustration with the events would he just kill whatever culture is there?  I have to believe a this point a trade over the summer is imminent.  

He hasn’t been told that. Every indication before this debate eroded into fans flinging poo was that Kawhi was going to be offered the super max. I’m sure SA will still offer it, but he’s got to prove that he can play at that level and that he’s committed to being a Spur. Otherwise he’s somebody else’s problem.

Of course he would be welcomed back, but that’s not going to happen. Because of his team’s non-communication over the season and into the playoffs, no one has been able to guess when or if he’s playing again this season. It finally took the backlash over him not being there for them to finally rule him out. 

36 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Tim Duncan..... LMA.... and.... wait for it...... Kawhi Leonard on his last extension.

21 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

If an athlete sells out his true convictions (i.e. Kawhi wants to stay with team, but feels obligated to his crew to look at other options), he may regret what could have been with a sound/ strong franchise as in San Antonio... If moving to say Miami/ Boston/ Los Angeles for "branding" he has to factor in that part of his brand will be known as a quitter...

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tim Duncan..... LMA.... and.... wait for it...... Kawhi Leonard on his last extension.

I guess they haven't had much "maxable" talent other than TP and Manu but so the answer would be "no, they don't just max medium to high performers because they are afraid to lose them."  They've definitely never given a supermax.  Looking at the bigger picture, the spurs are at a crossroads in their culture.  Do they pay people big money and build around the production of a very defined centerpiece, or do they try and keep everyone in their roles and potentially have players believe that the spurs are holding back their careers?

2 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

If an athlete sells out his true convictions (i.e. Kawhi wants to stay with team, but feels obligated to his crew to look at other options), he may regret what could have been with a sound/ strong franchise as in San Antonio... If moving to say Miami/ Boston/ Los Angeles for "branding" he has to factor in that part of his brand will be known as a quitter...

Three things happen in this scenario...

1. You have massive success and your move emboldens you to play even better and you transcend the game (lebron).

2. You become the quitter or sellout and have a negative perception for the near-mid future (KD).

3. You never find a spot to fit in, constantly search for a role that you "want" but can't find, you become "trade-able" because you still have very high perceived value (dwight howard).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I guess they haven't had much "maxable" talent other than TP and Manu but so the answer would be "no, they don't just max medium to high performers because they are afraid to lose them."  They've definitely never given a supermax.  Looking at the bigger picture, the spurs are at a crossroads in their culture.  Do they pay people big money and build around the production of a very defined centerpiece, or do they try and keep everyone in their roles and potentially have players believe that the spurs are holding back their careers?

1. You have massive success and your move emboldens you to play even better and you transcend the game (lebron).

2. You become the quitter or sellout and have a negative perception for the near-mid future (KD).

3. You never find a spot to fit in, constantly search for a role that you "want" but can't find, you become "trade-able" because you still have very high perceived value (dwight howard).

The supermax is a fairy new ... oh wait I’m talking to JHawk. Nevermind.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The supermax is part of the latest CBA which went into effect the summer of 2017.  The Spurs haven't had the opportunity or occasion to offer this to anyone.  It's anyone's guess which organizations will deem the supermax necessary except for the Warriors, Wizards, Thunder, and Rockets, who have signed players to them.  The latest opinions are supermax contracts may end up being bad investments unless you have a Lebron, Jordan, or Duncan type player.... 

Didn't realize I had to point out why they have never given a supermax (I thought saying "definitely" implied they haven't had the chance ).  Either way, the point of the post is maybe they took time to talk about the future with Kawhi and maybe they said they expect him to be a good drummer and carry on the way former spurs players have and not ask for too much money.  Maybe that made him realize that his days were numbered.  The dude never speaks.  Maybe this is the first chance he has gotten to show that he is all about the money.

Edited by Jhawk

39 minutes ago, Artificial Iverson said:

KL to Philly for Simmons + Pick

Trade idea I've seen is Saric, Fultz and 1st rounder for Kawhi. That would be juicy. I don't think people realize how good Saric is. Saric + a young talented player in Fultz + a 1st round pick is not bad. 

Edited by texasstrong12