2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

8 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What they did last night is not in the same galaxy as Chris Webber calling timeout.

You’re right, from a game play perspective the Spurs were worse than Webber.  They just gave up a game, a series and an entire season by not performing basic basketball strategy. Aldridge and the other players on the court threw the season away for some unknown reason.

Obviously the national title game has more at stake than a round 1 series. However It doesn’t matter if a horrible sequence is during game 1 of the season or game 7 of the Finals, it deserves to get called out.

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

What they did last night is not in the same galaxy as Chris Webber calling timeout.

Yeah, I’m not trying to pile on but it was worse. These idiots are paid professionals who do nothing but play and coach this game. The lack of situational awareness is embarrassing and is antithetical to what this organization is supposed to be. Chris Webber was some dumb shit kid and even though he fucked up in one of the worst ways imaginable, I’ll bet even he would’ve fouled in that scenario. How anyone can not be ready to start over and move on from these players is beyond me. There are three that I want to keep on the team, the rest can go to purgatory. 

While it's true that this side of the bracket was less impressive, they still had an outside shot to make the West finals. Which is incredible IMO. There was not a ton of separation between Denver and SA. And they would have been an underdog against Portland, but crazier shit has happened.

Haven't read every post but I don't think we see substantial changes. Add Dejounte, and subtract Durant from Golden State, I really think we'll see them in contention again next season.

6 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:

While it's true that this side of the bracket was less impressive, they still had an outside shot to make the West finals. Which is incredible IMO. There was not a ton of separation between Denver and SA. And they would have been an underdog against Portland, but crazier shit has happened.

Haven't read every post but I don't think we see substantial changes. Add Dejounte, and subtract Durant from Golden State, I really think we'll see them in contention again next season.

You are discounting the continued decline of LA. And while Murray is intriguing for him to be a difference maker he will have had to have spent this year building a jumpshot.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

You are discounting the continued decline of LA. And while Murray is intriguing for him to be a difference maker he will have had to have spent this year building a jumpshot.

I think we have more upside than downside going into next year. Murray, continued development of White, year 2 for Poeltl and Derozan where players really start to play well in the Spurs system. Potentially some Lonnie minutes. All of those are probably more plus than LA's decline is a minus. 

And it doesn't matter what we think. They're going to run it back. It isn't in the Spurs' DNA to pull a 76ers type rebuild. And even if we wanted to, none of the numbers or cap logistics work.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I think we have more upside than downside going into next year. Murray, continued development of White, year 2 for Poeltl and Derozan where players really start to play well in the Spurs system. Potentially some Lonnie minutes. All of those are probably more plus than LA's decline is a minus. 

And it doesn't matter what we think. They're going to run it back. It isn't in the Spurs' DNA to pull a 76ers type rebuild. And even if we wanted to, none of the numbers or cap logistics work.

I completely agree.  Also, with Durant potentially leaving GSW the west could get blown wide open.  

That was a strange game from the jump and the finish was no different.  We all jumped up yelling FOUL FOUL FOUL MFER'S and then just looked at each other like WTF just happened as the time ran out. 

In the end, I guess you could say fuck it, we were playing with house money anyway.  But that was an interesting way to spend it. 

I happen to think LaMarcus' game is poised to age gracefully. Nothing about his success has ever been based on speed or explosiveness. Quite the opposite, really. Never in a hurry to get off silky smooth jumpers from his spots.

3 hours ago, ZanTheFan said:
On 4/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, Llogg said:

I happen to think LaMarcus' game is poised to age gracefully. Nothing about his success has ever been based on speed or explosiveness. Quite the opposite, really. Never in a hurry to get off silky smooth jumpers from his spots.

You ever been old AF and tried to hit a turn around baseline fade away jumper like when you was 20? Even that goes away. Even that. Now I have to go drink more.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26634254/popovich-negotiating-new-contract-spurs

Popovich negotiating new contract with Spurs

SAN ANTONIO -- The Spurs suffered through an odd, erratic season filled with injuries, strife and drama before a second straight ouster from the playoffs in the first round.

Gregg Popovich enjoyed it so much he is coming back for a 24th season as coach in San Antonio.

Normally extremely private, Popovich said Monday he is negotiating a new deal with the Spurs after his most recent contract expired at the end of this season. There was some uncertainty surrounding his return, but the 70-year-old Popovich put an end to that with a quip or two.

"I'm currently in negotiations and could very well end up with either the Portofino Flyers or the Positano Pirates (or the Spurs)," Popovich said dryly. "I think it's like one-third Positano, one-third Portofino and one-third San Antonio. So, we'll see where I end up."

There is little chance Popovich ends up anywhere but San Antonio, where he has enjoyed unprecedented success. His desire to return was apparent during an 18-minute news conference to wrap up a season that ended with a loss to the Denver Nuggets in Game 7 of the Spurs' first-round series.

Popovich has 1,245 wins, third-most in NBA history behind Don Nelson and Lenny Wilkens, and is one of five coaches to win five NBA championships. He will coach USA Basketball in the FIBA World Cup in China this summer, and will coach the Americans in the Tokyo Olympics next summer, should the team qualify.

The Spurs have reached the playoffs the last 22 seasons, a streak that ties for the longest in NBA history.

Many doubted the Spurs would continue that streak this season with all the turmoil and turnover.

A year ago, Kawhi Leonard played in only nine games while nursing a right thigh injury. Reportedly upset with how his rehabilitation was handled, Leonard pressured his way out of San Antonio in the offseason and was sent to Toronto along with Danny Green in a trade for DeMar DeRozan and Jakob Poeltl.

The Spurs also lost Manu Ginobili to retirement and Tony Parker left the team in free agency, as did veteran Kyle Anderson.

"I didn't know what to expect, to be honest," Popovich said. "I didn't know how this group would respond to that kind of adversity, but they showed us a lot in continuing with the program and trying to do what we wanted them to do. So, that was very impressive to me."

San Antonio had eight new players on its roster this season, the most in Popovich's tenure. That turned out to be one of the highlights for the veteran coach.

"It was kind of one of the more enjoyable seasons because you got to see people develop," Popovich said.

If that wasn't enough to overcome, the Spurs also lost starting point guard Dejounte Murray to a season-ending knee injury in the preseason and his replacement, Derrick White, missed the first month with a knee injury.

In one four-game stretch, the Spurs lost three games by 30-plus points; in Popovich's first 1,758 regular-season games as coach, the Spurs had only lost by 30-plus five total times. Of course, they also won five straight games by 25-plus points for the first time under Popovich and ended up seventh in the Western Conference as DeRozan and veteran LaMarcus Aldridge helped carry the team's young roster.

"I think that when we all reflect on the season, they achieved a lot more than a lot of people gave them credit for having the opportunity to achieve," Popovich said.

San Antonio was able to reach the postseason while also developing young players like White, Poeltl and Bryn Forbes on the court and prepping rookies Lonnie Walker IV, Chimezie Metu and Drew Eubanks in the G League.

"It's the beginning of a new culture for a new group," Popovich said. "So, we'll have a little bit of corporate knowledge going into next season and they'll show that, I think."

26 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Yeah, but he’s fucking incredible. It makes the hate watching bearable to see him play well and his team lose. Hopefully it continues the rest of his career. Fuck you Kawhi.

Crazy watching Kawhi tonight.... still have feelings wanting him to do well.  Damn it..... can't forget how much he helped the Spurs hang a banner in 2014 and Kawhi won MVP of the Championship Series.

But.... Still pissed about his shit show last year throwing the Spurs under the bus and wanting to leave.  Seeing him play again with the dinosaurs gives me feelings of a manic-depressive person.  Can't break an old habit as a Spurs fan of wanting to see Kawhi play well.... but evilly laughing and enjoying when his Mesozoic era team chokes during crunchtime and loses.

So I guess I'll just keep rooting for the old Spurs Danny and Kawhi to play well.... while hoping that their Prehistoric team gets their butts kicked.  But either way, there are still Spurs connections moving on to the Eastern Conference Finals with Brett Brown coaching the 76ers.... 😉

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Fuck Kawhi....we’d be contenders for the next 8 years if he wasn’t such a bitch. I don’t ever want anything to go well in his career ever.

This. Also, username checks out.

It really is a damn shame because it’s one of the greatest draft day moves of all time. Flipping George Hill for a guy that you were able to mold into a top 5 nba player. I wish their was some way to give him truth serum or something so we could really get into what the fuck actually happened. I miss him. I feel like watching him these playoffs is like watching your ex bang some other dude. 

19 hours ago, Hate said:

Fuck Kawhi....we’d be contenders for the next 8 years if he wasn’t such a bitch. I don’t ever want anything to go well in his career ever.

I blame Zaza, but seriously fuck Kawhi.

It really is a damn shame because it’s one of the greatest draft day moves of all time. Flipping George Hill for a guy that you were able to mold into a top 5 nba player. I wish their was some way to give him truth serum or something so we could really get into what the fuck actually happened. I miss him. I feel like watching him these playoffs is like watching your ex bang some other dude. 
Hangers-on got into his ear and told him that they could do better for his career, so they removed him from one of the greatest coaches in NBA history who was still putting together competitive teams with the hopes of landing in LA with an insane shoe deal, but they best they could muster was Canada and a deal with New Balance. It's like that whole sequence was written by the writers of Veep.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:
On 5/2/2019 at 11:19 PM, youdunnf said:

Hangers-on got into his ear and told him that they could do better for his career, so they removed him from one of the greatest coaches in NBA history who was still putting together competitive teams with the hopes of landing in LA with an insane shoe deal, but they best they could muster was Canada and a deal with New Balance. It's like that whole sequence was written by the writers of Veep.

He can get to LA, if he wants, but Kawhi will never be a huge advertising or marketing presence.  There's only so much you can do with a functional mute.  I'd like to see him stay with Toronto, as he has an entire country behind him and they treated him well.  He goes to LA, the first time he has to miss a half dozen games in a row because of injury, they'll start to question his heart.  I don't think Kawhi will like that type of criticism.  He definitely wants to avoid the EC, sensitives Sues, need not apply.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'd like to see him stay with Toronto, as he has an entire country behind him and they treated him well.

You’re a far more magnanimous person than I am.  

IMO, fuck that guy.

5 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:

Can you even imagine leaving $80 million on the table?

Leaving Nike (Jordan) for New Balance = Leaving Spurs for the Clippers?

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Surely he made that up with his sick new balance contract though.

Sure is strange that contract number hasn't been put out for the public.  I'm sure NB overpaid for him, but it probably isn't near the number his uncle said he could get.

He had a whole Nike campaign built around him in SA. You don’t have to be in a big market to get endorsements these days. And let’s not act he is some embraceable guy like Harden or any other likable NBA player. He’s got no personality. His former team of agents were smart enough to build his image around his basketball and winning. His uncle is a fucking moron. New Balance? Really?

1 hour ago, Hate said:

He had a whole Nike campaign built around him in SA. You don’t have to be in a big market to get endorsements these days. And let’s not act he is some embraceable guy like Harden or any other likable NBA player. He’s got no personality. His former team of agents were smart enough to build his image around his basketball and winning. His uncle is a fucking moron. New Balance? Really?

Wait, people like Harden? I could swear he was despised around the league for being a flopper and a whiny bitch.

22 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Why didn't pop make them take patty instead of Danny? 

Or demand Siakam instead of Jakob?  Probably a non-starter on that front but I think Pop and RC loved the irony of sending Kawhi to the polar opposite of what his team wanted and weren't hard line in their demands.  I'm probably wrong but that's what it looks from the outside.  Keeping another guard under 6'5" made little sense with our roster makeup.

I guess spurs had just given patty that new contract and Danny was on his last year.  Makes sense that toronto wouldn't want an aging backup pg for 12 million per year for 4 more years, given the chance kawhi bails on them. 
Sheeeit, why am I still discussing this.  I'm over it!

This is the most likely reason and we had very little leverage. I think they took the best deal they could find given that they weren’t going to trade him to the Lakers and no other WC teams had anything we wanted and interest in Kawhi.