Pollen, Allergies

miguelito

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe I'll give that a try.  I don't care about the money if it works.  It's just hard to try anything else when you know benadryl does the job.  I remember like 20 years ago, there were two "miracle" allergy drugs by prescription (don't recall their names).  I got a scrip for one and didn't do much and before I could get the scrip for the other, it went off the market cuz it was killing people or somesuch.  Seldane was the latter, don't remember the other one.

See the Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec drugs are to prevent you from getting leaky in the face. Once you get leaky, then all bets are off and then things like Benadryl or Atarax are necessary to dry you out and stop the leaks.

Edited by UDontKnow

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

See the Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec drugs are to prevent you from getting leaky in the face. Once you get leaky, then all bets are off and then things like Benadryl or Atarax are necessary to dry you out and stop the leaks.

Ahhhh.  Perhaps my problem all along.  I don't really consider myself to be having an allergy attack until I'm leaky in the face.  And, obvs, I don't take benadryl until I am.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ahhhh.  Perhaps my problem all along.  I don't really consider myself to be having an allergy attack until I'm leaky in the face.  And, obvs, I don't take benadryl until I am.

So find one of those where you can take it in the morning immediately upon waking so it has time to kick in before you expose your system to the allergens. It would also help (if you're aware of what ails you) to follow an allergen tracker online and you should be good.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 3:53 PM, zman13 said:

Have you all tried the various nasal rinse/neti pot/navage? 

I've been using the sinus rinse for a few years. I realized, for myself, that everything I do helps about 10%. 

Allergy shots help 10%. Allergy drugs help 10%. Nasal rinse helps 10%

While it's gross, the sinus rinse is easy and cheap.

The navage was a life saver. The green oysters that come out are gross but definitely worth it.

Any recommendations for eye drops?

Check out xyzal too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Last night was the worst it's been in years for me.  The pile of used tissues on the floor of my bed this morning looked like a manhole cover, and no, I didn't use them that way, in a manhole or otherwise.  I was outside yesterday afternoon for a whole damn 2 hours.  Yeesh.  This oak is unreal.

Anyone done the sinuplasty? I’ve been miserable for along time so I’m starting to explore this option. 

Yep. I did Dr Slaughters advertised on the horn. Sinuplasty. Turbinate reduction. Palate raising. And correction of deviated septum. And I’m on allergy drops. Made a world of difference.

38 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

friend did.  about 10 years later they are back.

Yeah, I had a friend do the deviated septum thing probably 35 years ago.  It came back after about 7 years.  I actually deformed my nose slightly by rubbing on it as a ringmeat kid, including deviating the septum.

Had a deviated septum and turbinate reduction about a year ago. Helped a good amount. Allows my sinuses to drain better and gunk doesn't get stuck in there.

Had more of an effect on reducing sinus infections than reducing allergy symptoms.

14 minutes ago, zman13 said:

Had a deviated septum and turbinate reduction about a year ago. Helped a good amount. Allows my sinuses to drain better and gunk doesn't get stuck in there.

Had more of an effect on reducing sinus infections than reducing allergy symptoms.

this here. i can blow my nose now and the shit is more likely to come out now that i had the surgery. 

surgery is a bit bloody and you have to stay laying down for a day or so, but its worth it. 

http://www.kxan.com/news/health/oak-allergy-season-expected-last-longer-this-year/1094644668

Allergists have not-so-welcome news for people who've been sneezing and dealing with itchy or swollen eyes. 

"I anticipate this will be a long season, and people will suffer for a little more than they did last year," said Dr. Thomas Leath at Allergy Free Austin. 

He said recent rain has helped clear out the air of oak pollen, but that was just a day or two of relief.

"Any count above 300 or 400 is enough to cause people with allergies, symptoms," Leath explained. "So when we hit 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, that's just even worse."

On Sunday, the Oak count was 1,583 in Central Texas.

According to Leath, we've had high oak pollen counts since mid-March without any significant break. 

The problem may also be exacerbated by the late cedar season, too. Leath said cedar typically peaks around Christmas, but the worst didn't hit until January. So people may be feeling like they had little to no break between the two seasons. 

"I got cortisone shots, steroids, to make me better," Austin resident Arnaldo De Jesus Diaz said. He told us he's doing his best to control his symptoms because not going outside at all to avoid pollen isn't an option for him. 

Leath said wearing a mask when you're outside can help, but, "most people get annoyed by that and don't wear it enough to make a difference," he said.

"When you come back inside, do a sinus rinse, flush that pollen out of your nose, maybe take a shower to rinse it out of your hair to lessen that impact," he suggests.

Edited by zman13

On 4/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, UDontKnow said:

Doing something like OTC Loratadine (Claritin) right when you wake up in the morning (before you go outdoors) doesn't cut it for you? It's dirt cheap if you buy in bulk at Costco/Sam's--similar to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

I take the OTC Loratadine and Flonase every morning. Most of the time it helps, but it didn't work today. 

7 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I take the OTC Loratadine and Flonase every morning. Most of the time it helps, but it didn't work today. 

On a day like today, in addition to your normal routine try coating your nostrils with petroleum jelly (vaseline) -- no homo.

We are bad here too right now.  Not sure why, but Benadryl does nothing for me, Claritin does nothing, but I found Zyrtec a few years ago and it clears me right up in about an hour and lasts all day.  Greatest stuff in the world.

The other strange thing is that, since Sunday, I have been mostly symptom-free.  I get pounded the first time the pollen/allergens get high/change and then I am more or less OK.  I rarely get more than one severe attack per season.  I also probably live with a level of congestion that many would find unacceptable.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, TwiceHorn said:

essentially, you can think of the world of allergies in five categories...

first, you have antihistamines...the majority of which rely on loratadine.  this is Claritin, Zyrtec, etc...  this is intended to prevent congestion.  i take these daily no matter what.  when it is allergy season, i take the "-D" versions which have pseudophedrine.  you have to get this from the pharmacy with dl so you don't make meth.  at this time of the year, anything less won't do shit for me.

second, you have expectorants...the majority of which rely on guaifenesin.  this is mucinex, etc...  this loosens congestion in your sinuses and chest.  this is good to have when you have mild to intermediate congestion to avoid infections or bronchitis.  

third, you have oxymetazoline hydrochloride.  this is afrin, etc...  this has the most instant effect but you can't take this too much or you will be in for it bad.  it instantly reduces inflammation through vascoconstriction.  when you are so stopped up you can't breathe, this is the only thing that helps but again, do not take it too much.

fourth, you have steroids to reduce inflammation in the sinuses and allow the plumbing to engage.  this is Flonase at the weak end and corticosteroid injections at the other end.  when people are at the end of their wits, the corticosteroid shot is a miracle.  can't have it more than once or twice a year though or else say goodbye to your adrenal glands and other issues.

finally, antibiotics for infections.  amoxicillin, etc... for the people who don't have to deal with it that much, and on up the severity list to some pretty heavy shit i have had to take.

of course, turbinate reduction, septoplasty, other surgeries for when your pipes are all fucked up but it honestly doesn't help that much.  lot of ent's have bought a lot of vacation homes on that scam...

I've lived my entire 35 years in and around Austin and this week is the worst I've ever had them. Started in my head and has moved down to my chest now. Haven't found much to help this week. I'm about ready for some rain already. On a better note, I might not have a choice but to quit smoking finally.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

essentially, you can think of the world of allergies in five categories...

first, you have antihistamines...the majority of which rely on loratadine.  this is Claritin, Zyrtec, etc...  this is intended to prevent congestion.  i take these daily no matter what.  when it is allergy season, i take the "-D" versions which have pseudophedrine.  you have to get this from the pharmacy with dl so you don't make meth.  at this time of the year, anything less won't do shit for me.

second, you have expectorants...the majority of which rely on guaifenesin.  this is mucinex, etc...  this loosens congestion in your sinuses and chest.  this is good to have when you have mild to intermediate congestion to avoid infections or bronchitis.  

third, you have oxymetazoline hydrochloride.  this is afrin, etc...  this has the most instant effect but you can't take this too much or you will be in for it bad.  it instantly reduces inflammation through vascoconstriction.  when you are so stopped up you can't breathe, this is the only thing that helps but again, do not take it too much.

fourth, you have steroids to reduce inflammation in the sinuses and allow the plumbing to engage.  this is Flonase at the weak end and corticosteroid injections at the other end.  when people are at the end of their wits, the corticosteroid shot is a miracle.  can't have it more than once or twice a year though or else say goodbye to your adrenal glands and other issues.

finally, antibiotics for infections.  amoxicillin, etc... for the people who don't have to deal with it that much, and on up the severity list to some pretty heavy shit i have had to take.

of course, turbinate reduction, septoplasty, other surgeries for when your pipes are all fucked up but it honestly doesn't help that much.  lot of ent's have bought a lot of vacation homes on that scam...

Yeah, I'm familiar with the general basics.  Just curious if the newer AHs offered any real improvement on benadryl.  Never used Afrin though.  I do use saline spray on occasion.  It's particularly helpful after benadryl dries me out.

I've lived my entire 35 years in and around Austin and this week is the worst I've ever had them. Started in my head and has moved down to my chest now. Haven't found much to help this week. I'm about ready for some rain already. On a better note, I might not have a choice but to quit smoking finally.
Went to the doc earlier this week and was given some steroid pills to clear out my lungs, and it ain't working. Fucking miserable this morning.

I did allergy shots in Austin for years and they worked (4 once a week). Allergist told me I was top 5 worst she had ever seen. After 2 years, for some reason my body started rejecting the shots and I would swell up and get really bad reactions. At that point we started daily under tongue drops. Those continued for a long time and also worked well. One day I just stopped to see where things stood. No allergies. I moved to Houston area 3 years ago. Never had a problem until pine got me last year. It gets on my throat and I lose my voice. This year has been a different story. I’m dying.

Using Claritin-D, musinix and some nose spray. Need to go to AUSTIN sir work. Dreading it if things are this bad in the Houston area.

finally got decent insurance at my last job in austin and hit up the allergist. ended up goin to a guy named Ojas Patel in westlake area. young dude and extremely friendly, offered rush immunotherapy which expedites the typical ~6 month build up period to 2 days. took 75 shots in ass cheeks and arms over the course of 48 hours at their office, go home to sleep of course. it was a total haze of benadryl and other antihistamines, and my body was hived/swollen. after that i did 5 or 6 shots of full blast stuff once a month. that shit did the trick and then some, felt great and hardly had any issues while on them. then insurance flipped and I'm back to being effed again. 

edited to add that i can't recommend Patel's office enough, they were great working with me on insurance billing/timing/coding along with shot scheduling etc. very good operation overall. 

Edited by bluto

75 shots over 48 hours doesn’t sound safe. Things must have changed. When I first got tested I swelled up so much they gave me a Benadryl and sent me home before we finished. They told me I needed to wait 5 days for my system to clear out. That was 10 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 6:18 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Last year, I was miserable from January to mid-June. Had a lot of issues in Paris in late April as well.

This year, was good to go until yesterday, then BAM! Today, been using Mucinex nose spray and Benadryl. Absolutely knackered.

my wife and i got sick in Paris last year from the air pollution. We did the usual walk all over town for a day. Next morning - sinus infections for both of us. And looked online to find out that Paris is indeed one of the most polluted cities in the world.

Flying home with a sinus infection IS NOT FUN

after being immune all my life, the tree jizz got me dying.  I event felt as if I had a dumbbell pressing down on my chest.  went to the doctor on monday and walked out with a steroid nasal spray script.  that shit didn't work and went to an urgent care yesterday and they gave me a shot of something, which had be feeling better in less than 10 minutes.  so now I'm looking at immunotherapy.  any allergist recommendations in Houston?

3 hours ago, hornimal said:

after being immune all my life, the tree jizz got me dying.  I event felt as if I had a dumbbell pressing down on my chest.  went to the doctor on monday and walked out with a steroid nasal spray script.  that shit didn't work and went to an urgent care yesterday and they gave me a shot of something, which had be feeling better in less than 10 minutes.  so now I'm looking at immunotherapy.  any allergist recommendations in Houston?

Allergy Clinic, 7707 Fannin, Suite 100, 77054, 713-797-0993.  Also locations in Pasadena, Pearland and Museum District.  Been a patient of Dr. Engler and Dr. Malick for years.  Have always been very impressed with them.  I call them my "Dr. Feel Good"...lol

Edited by Stella Link

Went to the doctor for the third time since January to get rid of the hacking and chest rattles. This time got a nebulizer treatment, more steroid pills, two different inhalers, and an antibiotic because they're afraid my lungs are getting infected.

I'll be going back in a couple weeks for a checkup. If things haven't cleared up significantly by then, I'm going to ask them to run a roto rooter.