Pollen, Allergies

miguelito

Might as well get this started, since we're right in the heart of Oak season.

Here is a graph of the last 2 year's counts.  Honestly, we haven't had any real high numbers yet this year, with a high so far of 4130.  But as you know, life can be miserable with counts only in the hundreds sometimes. 

2G4xI0O.jpg

This weekend I was complaining about my allergies to my wife. Then I mentioned that year everything was covered in yellow-green pollen for weeks. "At least we don't have that stuff everywhere", I said, then I walked outside.

Morning - Zyrtec and Benedryl to start kick the protection

Lunch - Flonase

Night - Azelastine

That's been my routine since xmas. So far it's held my allergies at bay and hopefully I'll start paring the list sometime in April.

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

it will be nice that this rain over the next few days knocks all the oak out of the air...however, it will begin the end-times for us alternaria mold sufferers.

Yeah, I'm allergic to everything airborne, basically, but the pollen is the worst for me.

I can’t recommend enough getting on to Flonase twice daily several months prior to oak season. Adding it in when it hits is too late.

I used to get allergy induced pink eye every year, requiring prescription steroidal eye drops just to keep them from crusting over.

Once I added Flonase to my twice daily Zyrtec it still gets bad but completely manageable. No more eye issues outside of occasional itchiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have bad allergies but something has changed for me over the last few years.    Theres an internet cure that you take a teaspoon of honey daily.  Preferably honey as local as possible even from your neighborhood.  The idea being that the pollen is also in the honey and you become immune to it.  

I know docs and bee experts say the honey should have no effect on allergies and maybe it’s only a coincidence that I haven’t had allergy problems in a few years. I also stopped the daily honey after the allergies went away.   

Anyway I hope everyone gets better 

Have you all tried the various nasal rinse/neti pot/navage? 

I've been using the sinus rinse for a few years. I realized, for myself, that everything I do helps about 10%. 

Allergy shots help 10%. Allergy drugs help 10%. Nasal rinse helps 10%

While it's gross, the sinus rinse is easy and cheap.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I used to have bad allergies but something has changed for me over the last few years.    Theres an internet cure that you take a teaspoon of honey daily.  Preferably honey as local as possible even from your neighborhood.  The idea being that the pollen is also in the honey and you become immune to it.  

I know docs and bee experts say the honey should have no effect on allergies and maybe it’s only a coincidence that I haven’t had allergy problems in a few years. I also stopped the daily honey after the allergies went away.   

Anyway I hope everyone gets better 

That's the theory with allergy shots:  exposure to the allergen, although honey presents a different route.  I have heard that.  And, I fully believe that your system reaches a sort of detent with the local allergens.  I had reached one in N Texas before I moved to Austin and the cedar whipped my ass, then I moved back, rinse/repeat.  And I have been in Houston during the spring and had a complete respiratory spaz attack. And, of course, the allergy season(s) ramp everything up.

Edited by TwiceHorn

This is horribad.  Took two overlapping doses of benadryl to stop the leakage yesterday.  So far so good today, but I haven't been outside and can feel that  it's just waiting to start back up again.

Question.  Most of the time I just power through initial allergy attacks, but when my eyes and nose start leaking at high flow rates, hit the benadryl and take a nap.  Benadryl has always been effective for me.  I have a hard time dropping $25 on one of the newfangled ones, when the $5 benadryl means rapid relief.  What of the modern allergy meds should I try?

• Like 1

man i don't know. i do the daily zyrtec or whatever and rotate them. i don't think they do anything though and i have greatly cut down. do more natural stuff like the neri pot, hypoallergenic sheets, air filters, etc

you are nuts taking benadryl. thats a nap for sure. sorry you have it so bad my man. 

i am actually worse in my house right now (versus outside) so not sure wtf is going on. imma go kick the dog and slap the wife just to make sure

24 minutes ago, staboner said:

man i don't know. i do the daily zyrtec or whatever and rotate them. i don't think they do anything though and i have greatly cut down. do more natural stuff like the neri pot, hypoallergenic sheets, air filters, etc

you are nuts taking benadryl. thats a nap for sure. sorry you have it so bad my man. 

i am actually worse in my house right now (versus outside) so not sure wtf is going on. imma go kick the dog and slap the wife just to make sure

I dunno, I like sleep, and I am mostly non-functional when the really leaky attacks happen, so benadryl stops it and I doze off.  Win-win in my book.  I suppose it might be nice to find something that stops it and doesn't make me nod off.  I use saline spray sometimes, like now I can tell everything is just inflamed as hell inside my head.  The saline stings pretty good so I guess that's helping, I don't know.

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is horribad.  Took two overlapping doses of benadryl to stop the leakage yesterday.  So far so good today, but I haven't been outside and can feel that  it's just waiting to start back up again.

Question.  Most of the time I just power through initial allergy attacks, but when my eyes and nose start leaking at high flow rates, hit the benadryl and take a nap.  Benadryl has always been effective for me.  I have a hard time dropping $25 on one of the newfangled ones, when the $5 benadryl means rapid relief.  What of the modern allergy meds should I try?

Doing something like OTC Loratadine (Claritin) right when you wake up in the morning (before you go outdoors) doesn't cut it for you? It's dirt cheap if you buy in bulk at Costco/Sam's--similar to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

57 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Doing something like OTC Loratadine (Claritin) right when you wake up in the morning (before you go outdoors) doesn't cut it for you? It's dirt cheap if you buy in bulk at Costco/Sam's--similar to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

Maybe I'll give that a try.  I don't care about the money if it works.  It's just hard to try anything else when you know benadryl does the job.  I remember like 20 years ago, there were two "miracle" allergy drugs by prescription (don't recall their names).  I got a scrip for one and didn't do much and before I could get the scrip for the other, it went off the market cuz it was killing people or somesuch.  Seldane was the latter, don't remember the other one.  Actually, it appears that Claritin was the one I tried that didn't seem to work very well.  Claritin and Seldane, does that sound right?

Edited by TwiceHorn