Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy

bad_teammate

Wearing a MAGA hat means you are endorsing a brand.  A brand with the ideology of anti-American nihilism, intolerance, and oppression of those opposed to the Trump worldview.  

I get it, they’re just dumb kids who probably have no conceptualization of what the MAGA brand represents.  

It’s up to the rest of society to let them know the MAGA shit isn’t cool.  If we fail to call them out and normalize their hate, the consequences will be bad. 

They have a right to be MAGA idiots.

We have a right to let them know they’re idiots, but at this point it’s almost a duty.  

JMO

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not a chance in hell you watch the whole 2 hours and still hold on to your opinion that Nathan Phillips was just trying to go the Lincoln Memorial to peacefully pray when he was set upon by an angry teen mob. 

He walked up to them to try to calm them down. When have I said differently?

You're arguing with a phantom.

You want to make this about race because they were wearing MAGA hats, then that's fine, but I'm just looking at what actually happened...regardless of how much I like or dislike the parties involved.

I also make it about race because they were mocking him with racist gestures (tomahawk chops, etc...). The kids were literally being racist right in front of your eyes and you don't want to see it for... god knows what reason.

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

Just as anyone who walks directly towards and through a group of people is embracing confrontation.

lol what

The Native American group walked right into the middle of it to get their 5 minutes. 

again... lol what

Do you seriously think Nathan Phillips thought, "Hell yeah, here's my ticket to media stardom?"

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Does that mean we throw away rational discussion and be dicks back at them because we hate Trump and this whole world has gone to hell? Sure let's keep digging. 

Who is being irrational?

3 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

They are kids who were approached by a Native American hitting a drum. In their adolescent brains, surrounded by their peers, they went to mimicking Indian stereotypes they know.

I love it when people tell on themselves.

"The only natural way to act as a teenager is to be super racist anytime a non-white is being noisy around you... this is how everyone is and it's not just me and my fucked up brain."

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It's problematic at best. But keep your boot on the throats of POC by propagating negative idioms living in an ethnocentric and unemphatic space of privilege, you murderer.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade 

I’m sure my gf will be pissed to know I’ve been hiding my flexibility skills since as a minority, I’ve had the ability to put my foot on my own throat this whole time.

Now why am I a murder? The rest of your schtick was good for a laugh but not sure how that last word is related.

7 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

They are kids who were approached by a Native American hitting a drum. In their adolescent brains, surrounded by their peers, they went to mimicking Indian stereotypes they know. Does that make them, in your words, dickheads? Well yes. At a minimum its an immature and disrespectful thing to do.

Does that mean we throw away rational discussion and be dicks back at them because we hate Trump and this whole world has gone to hell? Sure let's keep digging. 

Odds that this guy thinks Trayvon had it coming?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

"The only natural way to act as a teenager is to be super racist anytime a non-white is being noisy around you... this is how everyone is and it's not just me and my fucked up brain."

If your deductive skills are as good on me, then it makes sense how you saw genocide behind that smirk.  

If my brain is fucked up because I do not think the average white male has genocidal racist thoughts about everyone that does not look like them, then my mind is fucked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

If your deductive skills are as good on me, then it makes sense how you saw genocide behind that smirk.  

If my brain is fucked up because I do not think the average white male has genocidal racist thoughts about everyone that does not look like them, then my mind is fucked. 

I didn't say the kid was thinking genocide, but that's what is behind the overall situation and political speech involved. It's what happens when powerful white nationalism intersects with oppressed minorities who displease them.

What is that kid's face saying?

Edited by bad_teammate

17 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You’re right.  We should abandon reason and just go with our gut on this one.  THAT KID IS HITLER ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

It's not abandoning reason. It's not giving into a false sense of objectivity to appease a group of people that are inherently acting in bad faith. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Wearing a MAGA hat means you are endorsing a brand.  A brand with the ideology of anti-American nihilism, intolerance, and oppression of those opposed to the Trump worldview.  

I get it, they’re just dumb kids who probably have no conceptualization of what the MAGA brand represents.  

It’s up to the rest of society to let them know the MAGA shit isn’t cool.  If we fail to call them out and normalize their hate, the consequences will be bad. 

We have a right to let them know they’re idiots, but at this point it’s almost a duty.  

JMO

Please explain how society can "call them out" in a rational productive manner.

"A brand with the ideology of anti-American nihilism, intolerance, and oppression of those opposed to the Trump worldview."  
One of the kids is getting threats sent to his family, his address posted, and their family business posted, and he wasn't even at the march.

1 minute ago, Alvin89 said:

Please explain how society can "call them out" in a rational productive manner.

"A brand with the ideology of anti-American nihilism, intolerance, and oppression of those opposed to the Trump worldview."  
One of the kids is getting threats sent to his family, his address posted, and their family business posted, and he wasn't even at the march.

thoughts and prayers

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I knew you'd bring up Baptist's work.  His primary claim is that slavery (after the end of importation in 1808) was vital in creating the institutions of capitalism in America because of its transactional nature combined with its logistic and transportation needs.  That's a tenuous claim at best since capitalism already existed.

Here's another perspective.

The issue of how society at large responded to the event is an entirely separate discussion from the issue of the event itself. Time machine ethics aren't real, the kid isn't suddenly right in being an aggressive, racist piece of shit because the anti-racist response has been, in your opinion, disproportional.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

The issue of how society at large responded to the event is an entirely separate discussion from the issue of the event itself. Time machine ethics aren't real, the kid isn't suddenly right in being an aggressive, racist piece of shit because the anti-racist response has been, in your opinion, disproportional.

The anti racist response towards an individual who wasn't even in attendance.

The anti racist response towards an individual who wasn't even in attendance.

Sure, yes.

We live in a time in which getting any kind of attention regarding things like this makes your life absolute hell. It's true.

I'm not sure what larger point is being made.

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Right...

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What is this kid's face saying?

What is the old man's saying?

So now we're supposed to be mind readers?

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I knew you'd bring up Baptist's work.  His primary claim is that slavery (after the end of importation in 1808) was vital in creating the institutions of capitalism in America because of its transactional nature combined with its logistic and transportation needs.  That's a tenuous claim at best since capitalism already existed.

Here's another perspective.

Keep on doing you man. There are two other sources there. If you honestly think I'm claiming we wouldn't have had any innovation and any prosperity I'm not saying that, but it's abundantly clear we owe a lot of the white wealth due to slave labor and racists practices thereafter.

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

JMO

I'm with you here. I was a big Bush/Cheney supporter in high school because that's who my parents and friends supported. I couldn't have told you one thing about Bush or Gore in high school, I was too busy trying to get into UT during the week and trying find Busch Light tallboys and get handjobs on the weekend. 

These kids are a product of their parents and school. They don't really care about abortion or taxes or immigration. They just think it's "cool" to wear MAGA hats because their parents and friends do it. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep over them catching heat over this, wether deserved or not. They will all be fine. There a million other issues that deserve more attention than this. Trump loves us all getting distracted by these bullshit shiny objects. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It's not abandoning reason. It's not giving into a false sense of objectivity to appease a group of people that are inherently acting in bad faith. 

I come into this with a bias, which I don’t believe is dissimilar from your own.  I tend to assume MAGA fucks are racist, unsophisticated, and uncouth. That is my subjective view.

I also viewed objective evidence, which shows some of the MAGA kids were indeed being dicks.  But it also shows the initially-alleged victim initiating an encounter with the initially-alleged perpetrator, who appears to react as any normal teenager might in such an absurd situation.  And it shows an unrelated third party group agitating the whole thing.

I have no sympathy for artificial both-sides objectivity.  But that is not what this is.  A kid was accused of acting like an oppressive racist in a specific context, and the evidence simply does not support that allegation.  That is not “false objectivity.”  It is REAL objectivity based on actual objective facts and evidence of sufficient clarity to overcome a substantial subjective bias that I happen to share with you.

• Like 2

DixonHur can read the minds of minorities...

Nathan Phillips is plenty old enough to know what he was doing.  In my opinion, he went over there with the intention of getting them riled up so he could get his "gotcha" moment. 

But when asked to read a white mind...

So now we're supposed to be mind readers?

lol fuck off

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I also make it about race because they were mocking him with racist gestures (tomahawk chops, etc...). The kids were literally being racist right in front of your eyes and you don't want to see it for... god knows what reason.

lol what

again... lol what

Do you seriously think Nathan Phillips thought, "Hell yeah, here's my ticket to media stardom?"

Who is being irrational?

Read his interview with CNN. He walked into it with an agenda. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know what else to tell you.

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I come into this with a bias, which I don’t believe is dissimilar from your own.  I tend to assume MAGA fucks are racist, unsophisticated, and uncouth. That is my subjective view.I also viewed objective evidence, which shows some of the MAGA kids were indeed being dicks.  But it also shows the initially-alleged victim initiating an encounter with the initially-alleged perpetrator, who appears to react as any normal teenager might in such an absurd situation.  

To say that is debatable is putting it lightly.

Just now, Brew said:

Read his interview with CNN. He walked into it with an agenda. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know what else to tell you.

I've read and watched all this shit. Make your argument. What "agenda"? He saw a bunch of chanting, riled up boys and recognize that as a problem (which it is) and tried to calm them down.

Please tell me what the dark man's "agenda" was.

I was a normal teenager that went to a normal public high school in Houston. I do not find that kid's reaction to stoically stand with one facial expression to be normal at all. Different strokes, I guess. 

And I've now seen the words instigator and perpetrator used to describe the Native American elder.  I see absolutely zero malicious intent in anything he did. 

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

Keep on doing you man. There are two other sources there. If you honestly think I'm claiming we wouldn't have had any innovation and any prosperity I'm not saying that, but it's abundantly clear we owe a lot of the white wealth due to slave labor and racists practices thereafter. 

I read the other links too.  One was specific to the pre-Civil War Southern Economy and the other was about labor usage in building.  I didn't respond to those because they didn't seem as relevant to the conversation.

Of course, I recognize that slavery played a role in the physical building of America, but its impact was relatively short-lived and it was limited in scope.  It's just that America being blessed with vast untapped resources coupled with the advent of the Industrial Revolution were much bigger factors in our growth as an economic superpower.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

And I've now seen the words instigator and perpetrator used to describe the Native American elder.  I see absolutely zero malicious intent in anything he did. 

Why do you assume that one of these guys must have been a bad actor?  Isn’t it just as possible that neither acted with ill intent?  

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

DixonHur can read the minds of minorities...

But when asked to read a white mind...

lol fuck off

The difference is that my "opinion" is backed by the video of the events...you're going off a still image...basically, you're doing a caption contest

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I didn't say the kid was thinking genocide, but that's what is behind the overall situation and political speech involved. It's what happens when powerful white nationalism intersects with oppressed minorities who displease them.

What is that kid's face saying?

I could think perhaps Mr. Phillips was telling a funny joke. Now from both their statements, we know a joke was not told. At worst he is a smug ass. Perhaps he thinks the guy is crazy because in punchable face kid's world you do not walk around hitting a drum. Maybe he should spend time with Native Americans and discover what a drum means in their culture and why he would have one on the mall?

As I have experienced traveling is a great way to discover different cultures and people and realize no matter how different we look or live we also share a lot in common. 

Or the kid is a racist, and that is what his face is saying. 

11 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Largest-brains-since-Karl-marx: Putting his art critic hand to his chin as he moves his head to the side, "JUST LOOK AT HIS FACIAL EXPRESSION OF CLOSED LIPS AND HE HAS TWO EYEBALLS! WHAT is his face SAYING though?"

Face crime, dude.

A facecrime in the book 1984 is just an expression that is shown on one's face that conveys suspicious (anti-party) beliefs.
It is easy to commit because it is very difficult to have full control of your natural reactions.
In the novel, if you find something that you hear sad, or gruesome, like the government killing thousands of enemies, then you may instinctively flinch. This is a facecrime because it shows that you disagree with the party's actions, which is considered a crime.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I've read and watched all this shit. Make your argument. What "agenda"? He saw a bunch of chanting, riled up boys and recognize that as a problem (which it is) and tried to calm them down.

Please tell me what the dark man's "agenda" was.

How is getting in the face of a "riled up" teenager while chanting and banging a drum supposed to diffuse the situation?

Edit:  BT, I'm headed to the gym...try not to get offended again if I don't respond promptly to your "questions".

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

I could think perhaps Mr. Phillips was telling a funny joke. Now from both their statements, we know a joke was not told. At worst he is a smug ass. Perhaps he thinks the guy is crazy because in punchable face kid's world you do not walk around hitting a drum. Maybe he should spend time with Native Americans and discover what a drum means in their culture and why he would have one on the mall?

As I have experienced traveling is a great way to discover different cultures and people and realize no matter how different we look or live we also share a lot in common. 

While yes, we should consider all evidence, and yes, this situation wasn't as simple and clear as it appeared at first, we also shouldn't dispense with common sense.  There's SOME common sense here (for example, everyone seems to agree that the black muslims israelites were nutbars starting shit).  But otherwise, some folks want to ditch it.  These are shitty entitled white kids, doing shitty entitled white kid stuff -- it's not terribly sophisticated, intelligent, or well-thought-out.  Doing a tomahawk chop at a native American is not exactly clever or witty.  It's just shitty.

And let's use our common sense.  I knew the kids whose parents said the N-word regularly, for example.  Of that  group of kids, I've kept up with some of them.  EVERY SINGLE ONE of them is a "build the wall" MAGA champion.  The correlation in my particular pool of acquaintance is 100% (ahh, FB, where you get to confirm that the kid from a racist family in 1988 turned out to be a racist too).  I knew these kids, and  kids like those in this video doing the tomahawk chop etc..  So did you.  Let's not kid ourselves about who they are, and who they're going to grow up to be.

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The difference is that my "opinion" is backed by the video of the events...you're going off a still image

You and I have watched the same videos and read the same articles. What, specifically, are you seeing that shows that Phillips was actively seeking confrontation?

How is getting in the face of a "riled up" teenager while chanting and banging a drum supposed to diffuse the situation?

1) You have no evidence that he got in anyone's face.

2) In his mind it's not merely "banging a drum", it's a ritual (a medicine) with that purpose. Your characterization of it as "banging a drum" is a blatant attempt to make this elderly veteran sound like a fucking toddler.

Obviously these kids don't know what he was trying to do, but that's kind of the point, isn't it?

(*defuse)

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I gave you a time code, dipshit.

I don't see the kid in question in that video. That video is him walking towards the group. It doesn't show the kid at all.

As far as I know, there's no video at all of how those two got so close to each other.

Look at the context, though.

One group is literally jumping up and down, chanting and shouting, and mocking.

Then there's an old man walking slowly and chanting peacefully (well, maybe not, he's not white so it's kind of scary).

I wonder how that kid got right in the man's face! 

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

We really do go on looooong walks to avoid calling that kid's expression out for what it is, don't we?

His face is expressing smugness in the face of an elder. Why is he so smug in this particular elder's face?

Edited by bad_teammate

48 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I feel pretty comfortable saying anyone who wears a MAGA hat in a political environment is embracing confrontation. 

That whole freedom of speech thing clearly only applies if you agree with said speech, correct? 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think people are focusing too much on the details of this story and not the implications.  

Trump/GOP have created the environment where these kids can openly display their hate and bad behavior without fear of tangible consequences.   It’s along the same line as the Charlottesville tiki torch boys.

This is something new to mainstream America that should be disturbing and it’s mostly due to a failure of our conservative leaders to reject the hate that comes with Trumpism.

So now that there is evidence that the actual facts of the story might be a little different than originally reported (and of course went viral) they don't matter? 

That's a pretty damn dangerous jump to go to. 

I damn sure wouldn't ever allow my kid to wear one of those hats but saying facts don't matter or they got what they deserved just makes you as bad as the people you can't stand.

Do you also "reject the hate" shown to these HS kids or does that not matter because you know they aren't on "my side"?

That's the shit that I get so annoyed with. You either reject ALL KINDS OF HATE or you don't. We shouldn't be able to choose which hate is OK and which hate isn't. Think about it. Are you outraged by the The Black Hebrews yelling racist, homophobic, and threatening insults too? 

• Like 3

Just now, JimmyHoffa said:

That whole freedom of speech thing clearly only applies if you agree with said speech, correct? 

What does "freedom of speech" have to do with what he said, snowflake?

That's the shit that I get so annoyed with. You either reject ALL KINDS OF HATE or you don't. We shouldn't be able to choose which hate is OK and which hate isn't. Think about it. Are you outraged by the The Black Hebrews yelling racist, homophobic, and threatening insults too? 

It's almost like racism has a larger context than the isolated incidents and words themselves.

Nope, too complicated to think about. #BothSides

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You and I have watched the same videos and read the same articles. What, specifically, are you seeing that shows that Phillips was actively seeking confrontation? 

One, he has done it before.  Two, he claims (in one version of his changing story) to be heading to the Memorial to pray, but instead of going up the empty steps to the right he beelines it toward the group of teens. 

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You have no evidence that he got in anyone's face.

How about the picture of him in the teen's face?

Ok, now off to the gym... 😉

5 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

So now that there is evidence that the actual facts of the story might be a little different than originally reported (and of course went viral) they don't matter? 

That's a pretty damn dangerous jump to go to. 

I damn sure wouldn't ever allow my kid to wear one of those hats but saying facts don't matter or they got what they deserved just makes you as bad as the people you can't stand.

Do you also "reject the hate" shown to these HS kids or does that not matter because you know they aren't on "my side"?

The longer, unedited video changed the degree of being racist jackasses. In many people's view including on this board, they are not giving benefit of doubt to the MAGA crowd given past actions of the broader group. The individuals arguing that the elderly vet is the instigator are delusional. No one with any sanity can believe he had bad intent in his behavior. 

The new video showed that the kids are racist, inconsiderate assholes but not the lynch mob that the original video showed. Ok, good on you all that the kids won't commit a hate crime but gladly yell racist slurs at people who aren't white.

Edited by happyfunball
  • Like 2

Just now, DixonHur said:

One, he has done it before. 

"It"? Source?

Two, he claims (in one version of his changing story) to be heading to the Memorial to pray, but instead of going up the empty steps to the right he beelines it toward the group of teens. 

He says he went there to pray, saw the confrontation between the Black Israelites and the MAGA boys, went to calm down the MAGA boys, got spooked, and wanted to continue walking up.

How about the picture of him in the teen's face?

There is video that shows a bunch of other MAGA kids jumping around in front of him. We don't know how they got right in each other's faces.

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

The First Amendment only protects speech, Jimmy.  It doesn’t protect those who express hatred by silently standing, smiling, and keeping their presumably vile, racist thoughts to themselves.  

How are you people turning this into a 1st amendment issue? Do you know what the 1st amendment is?

4 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I’m a middle class white guy, I’ll call out the white trash MAGA fucks way before I rail against some black Hebrews.  

I’ll let the moderate Hebrews deal with cleaning the trash on their side.  

Us whites should focus on cleaning our own house before we go trying to clean up someone else’s shit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The First Amendment only protects speech, Jimmy.  It doesn’t protect those who express hatred by silently standing, smiling, and keeping their presumably vile, racist thoughts to themselves.  

I probably shouldn't engage anymore as nobody is going to change their opinion I just get so sick of people bending the facts to match their views on things. 

I think Trump is an absolute racist douche that has no business being president but holy hell what a shit show. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy