Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy

bad_teammate

13 minutes ago, Mole said:

“A little harder than needed” is a little euphemistic.

There’s difference between offense and the lynch mob that formed over the weekend for this one kid. Any attempts to justify or perpetuate  that (but his hat!) is to abdicate any sense of morals. It’s fair to discuss the details of the scene, but it only makes sense with the shared understanding that the punishment the kid received was an injustice. Whataboutism by referencing other injustices does change what happened; neither does the racial grievance posturing that’s happening on this board.

Even if you grant that a MAGA hat is an invitation  to political discourse, three groups had a messy political discussion. Each group had moments that were inappropriate, mostly the Black Hebrews, but now I guess they must be good since they were going after the evil MAGAs.

Despite a nuanced and mostly nonsensical interaction, the event was framed in a particular way to focus our grievances onto one teenager. All of our rage over the worst of Trumpism was focused on that single smirk. This teenager’s crimes were his hat, standing still, and being born with a particularly punchable face. The punishment for such a crime includes threats to his future (reaching out to colleges he might apply for as well as everything this board advocated), threats of violence to his friends and family, and threats of violence to himself. 

This very board, in its righteous indignation over this kid endorsed saddling him with the (dishonest) framing of this event for life. Some of the more respected and long standing members of this board are real pieces of shit, and not in the normal shaggy/surly way.

The government is shutdown, 800k people aren't getting paychecks, Flint doesn't have clean water, children being taken from their families at the border, etc. 

But the criticism/treatment of one privileged white kid is a little overboard, and you want to talk about injustice?

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

As for the "lie", here's another video of Nathan Phillips where he literally says they were surrounded by the teens and he was trying to escape.  He later changed his story after the full video emerged.

Nathan Phillips was surrounded by the teens and he was definitely scared and wanting to walk away. The kid jeering and mocking him directly in his face is scary to him.

He walked up to the group and they surrounded him. This is literally the truth.

You keep calling this old man a liar... please be specific and quote him.

I avoided watching the whole video for a while because I assumed it would be some nuanced defense, but when I finally watched I came away with a different view.

Don't externalize your pathology. I've watched the whole video and it didn't take some great act of will on my part. I'm not scared of these things.

The MAGA teens and the Black Israelites are arguing back and forth. The old man walks slowly towards/near/into the group of MAGA teens, chanting medicine to try and calm them down. They surround him, and the psychopath gets directly in his face (most of the teens parted as the old man approached, which is why you see them around the sides) and smiles like a lunatic in his face. Old man gets scared, but keeps up his chanting.

That's what the full video shows. And that's what Nathan Phillips said happened. Pretty pathetic of you to continually attack this old Native American veteran for speaking the truth.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Statistical probability?  Is that our burden of proof now?

There is a nearly 2 hour video of the event...kindly guide me to the part where they are chanting "build the wall".

He said, "I heard them say 'build that wall'."

Did he say that they were chanting loudly in unison? Or are you putting words in his mouth again to apologize for white supremacy?

1 minute ago, Mole said:

It’s fair to discuss the details of the scene, but it only makes sense with the shared understanding that the punishment the kid received was an injustice.

Nothing has changed the reality of this image.

190119191611-01-maga-teens-tribal-elder-

You can acknowledge it for what it is or you can lie to yourself in an attempt to BOTH SIDES this thing.

What does is face say? What does his posture and positioning say? What are the messages these two humans are sending each other?

Even if you grant that a MAGA hat is an invitation  to political discourse, three groups had a messy political discussion. Each group had moments that were inappropriate, mostly the Black Hebrews, but now I guess they must be good since they were going after the evil MAGAs.

Has anyone said anything positive about the Black Israelites? Where? Who? No one cares about them. They're a fringe group of zero power and have already been marginalized and disempowered. They are not representative of dangerous cultural forces. They are not representative of a massive power movement. They are not historically connected to recent genocides.

They're assholes, we all agree, but they're irrelevant.

What IS relevant is the white supremacist surge among young white men because of the MAGA movement. That's an actual problem that's worth talking about, not some fringe radical freaks whose overall nationwide numbers are in the dozens or low hundreds.

And there is nothing wrong with what the old man did. He was literally chanting for peace a group of wild kids. But he's not white and wasn't speaking English, so you guys want to paint him as hostile. It's pathetic and you should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.

All of our rage over the worst of Trumpism was focused on that single smirk. 

A single smirk? He stares dead in the face of this man for minutes with that look. It wasn't some passing glance as he moved on. He stared the man down.

What does that smirk say, worn by a white person with a MAGA hat in the face of an old Native American? I asked Dixon, but I doubt he'll answer, but what's the message?

I don't think either of you will be honest.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Mapache said:

Covington Catholic Basketball game

Look at the students in blackface on the left and right and the kid to the immediate left of the Clark County player is making that white supremacist troll sign

What do you expect from a state that gave us Mitch McConnell

j3l0ef0flqb21.jpg

Maybe a wider shot will show a different story #bothsides

Ah, shit. nevermind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I guess there is no middle ground. Either you are a racist and hate PoC or you hate white people (which is a different kind of racist).

Now now, shittiest cookie, that's not what I said. But points for trying to put words in my mouth. I'm simply calling a spade a spade. The kid knew what wearing that hat and standing against that native american war veteran meant. How about not giving little pieces of shit like that any slack? How about calling out shitty behavior for what it is? Nothing to do with hating PoC's or white people, but everything to do with this proto-trumpism bullshit.

I'm sure if your kids did something like this, you'd give em a pat on the head and told em they done good though. 

14 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

To what I would say if it were my kids: I agree that I wouldn't want them to engage with this guy or any of the loons like the hate group black guys. In regards to Nathan Phillips, I actually would tell my kids to just get out of the guys way and let him engage in his theatrics and tantrum or whatever he was doing and just ignore him. It's not worth it to stoop to people's level and besides, he's elderly, just let him do what he wants and go find a different part of that lot to wait for your bus. 

Good grief. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 hour ago, Mapache said:

Covington Catholic Basketball game

Look at the students in blackface on the left and right and the kid to the immediate left of the Clark County player is making that white supremacist troll sign

What do you expect from a state that gave us Mitch McConnell

j3l0ef0flqb21.jpg

Well you see that uppity black basketball player approached them, so they had no choice but to defend themselves by showing up in blackface and making white power hand signs.  

I'm sure parts of all the stories are true, butt she sounds like she has an agenda.

Wait....SHE has an agenda. But every statement and carefully crafted narrative of the Covington kids must be treated as gospel truth, because, well, they’re clearly objective and have no agenda?
Look, if the point is “it’s not entirely as bad as it looked at first glance,” I’ll agree with that. But is that particularly exonerating? It’s a matter of degree, not one of making a wrong right. I’ll back off some of what I suggested at first - it was hasty and not fully-informed. But we’re far from letting the school and these students off the hook - there’s still plenty in that video that’s really bad shit.
And you know, here’s the part I love: this incident is a perfect example of the shameless and disingenuous double standard of truth. These people are wearing gear of worship of a man rightly called “a Vesuvius of mendacity.” They worship at an altar of the prince of lies - he lies more easily than you and I breathe. But not only do they not hold him accountable, they joyfully revel in it. But should anyone not full-MAGA dare slip up on any point of fact, and suddenly, the truth matters. It matters more than anything. Bullshit. They live in a world where strict adherence to the truth “is for thee, not for me.” I call bullshit. These folks have not been concerned with the truth for years - they just discover it when it’s THEIR ass in the crosshairs? Fuck that. And fuck them.
I post this from near the walled city of San Antonio, where the wall made it safe “immediately.”
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Firstly you are a racist (e.g. Spade a spade), secondly, are you people saying that the kid is at fault for not kowtowing to the elderly man approaching him and getting into his personal space clammoring on a drum in his face?

Like I mentioned, the guy was trying not to laugh at some medicine man chanting in his face in some show of something-or-another, whether it be intimidation or admonition or chiding or whatever he was doing. Name a 16 year old who doesn't laugh at things that seem awkward or weird. He smirked. and wore a MAGA hat. He's evil and hates PoC.

To what I would say if it were my kids: I agree that I wouldn't want them to engage with this guy or any of the loons like the hate group black guys. In regards to Nathan Phillips, I actually would tell my kids to just get out of the guys way and let him engage in his theatrics and tantrum or whatever he was doing and just ignore him. It's not worth it to stoop to people's level and besides, he's elderly, just let him do what he wants and go find a different part of that lot to wait for your bus. 

Ultimately, I think the lesson (yet again) is that in 2019 and in the age of social media and people on both sides who can manufacture and make hay out of anything and everything, there is nothing to be gained by engaging with weirdos and victim-mentality people. Just keep your head down and stay off the radar.

People who allow/enable their spawn to travel hundreds of miles to protest settled law are the epitome of loons. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And you know, here’s the part I love: this incident is a perfect example of the shameless and disingenuous double standard of truth. These people are wearing gear of worship of a man rightly called “a Vesuvius of mendacity.” They worship at an altar of the prince of lies - he lies more easily than you and I breathe. But not only do they not hold him accountable, they joyfully revel in it. But should anyone not full-MAGA dare slip up on any point of fact, and suddenly, the truth matters. It matters more than anything. Bullshit. They live in a world where strict adherence to the truth “is for thee, not for me.” I call bullshit. These folks have not been concerned with the truth for years - they just discover it when it’s THEIR ass in the crosshairs? Fuck that. And fuck them.

The game is rigged. The only answer is to disqualify and disempower a group of players. 

7 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

He was approaching the kid to chide him or something.

Or something. Jesus fucking Christ.

"I don't know what the fuck was going on. Some indian - feather not dot - was banging his drum and speaking another language. Whatever it was, I found it very grating. Fuck him. He's in America and needs to act American."

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Firstly you are a racist (e.g. Spade a spade), secondly, are you people saying that the kid is at fault for not kowtowing to the elderly man approaching him and getting into his personal space clammoring on a drum in his face?

Like I mentioned, the guy was trying not to laugh at some medicine man chanting in his face in some show of something-or-another, whether it be intimidation or admonition or chiding or whatever he was doing. Name a 16 year old who doesn't laugh at things that seem awkward or weird. He smirked. and wore a MAGA hat. He's evil and hates PoC.

Ultimately, I think the lesson (yet again) is that in 2019 and in the age of social media and people on both sides who can manufacture and make hay out of anything and everything, there is nothing to be gained by engaging with weirdos and victim-mentality people. Just keep your head down and stay off the radar.

Your act is so tired. You've already been banned once, just take the hint.

15 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

People who allow/enable their spawn to travel hundreds of miles to protest settled law are the epitome of loons. 

Yes, I'm sure these kids have VERY STRONG opinions about Roe v. Wade.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

This just proves, yet again, nothing like the smirk on the face of a white guy can create so much anger and bitterness in the world.

Goddamn, just shut up already.

Some people know their place. Others just post shit over and over again in some feeble ass attempt to either A) look intelligent or B) serve as a troll or some other antagonist or C) just don't know what the hell they are doing, and don't know when to quit.

Pick one.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes, I'm sure these kids have VERY STRONG opinions about Roe v. Wade.

Most of them probably don't have much of an opinion on Roe v. Wade right now. Once they knock up Becky after she drank too much trashcan punch after the Pi Phi mixer, they (and their parents) will LOVE Roe v. Wade. 

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Well, that is definitely one interpretation. I think that description tells us more about your frame of mind than the kid though. 

That's the thing about decking yourself out in political hate speech. It's kind of hard to have a rational conversation with a person who does that.

My father in law, as a young man, was a Goldwater Republican. He changed over time, and is now a bleeding heart liberal on a whole bunch of issues. (Abortion aside -- he is a staunch Catholic, but one who believes in social justice as much as being anti-abortion.) 

Point is, he would have been one of those kids in 1963. He evolved. Maybe he would not have evolved had been shamed and doxxed -- some people dig in when confronted with bad behavior. 

• Like 2

Some of y’all need to step away from your jump-to-conclusions mats.  The smirking kid has now provided his side of the story:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/20/us/covington-kentucky-student-statement/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

New videos seemingly support the notion that (a) the Native protester approached the teens from Kentucky and (b) there was a group of black Israelites (for Jesus?) stirring shit up.  

Did the teens do stupid smartass teen shit?  Probably.

Does that kid have a punchable face?  Absolutely.

Do MAGA hats convey dipshittery?  No doubt.

But put yourself in this kid’s shoes. You’re a bumpkin from Kentucky, on a trip with your high school crew, winding down the weekend.  A group of black dudes is sitting over there proclaiming Zionism and cursing up a storm.  Suddenly, an old Indian dude walks right up in your face and starts banging a drum and chanting.  

If it were 17 year old me, I would have done a lot more than smirk.  I would have completely lost it and bust out in hysterical laughter at the sheer absurdity of the scene.

And I might have even done it while wearing a MAGA hat because, like most teenagers, I had a rebellious streak and was fucking stupid at times and didn’t consider what message I was sending other than “Cool, my parents will hate this shit!”  

This kid ain’t perfect, I’m sure.  Maybe additional evidence will show these dudes were running an impromptu Klan rally and that started the whole thing.  But from what I’ve seen so far, he looks like a typical kid reacting to what was frankly a bizarre scenario.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

How is that not true? This country for white people was built on slave labor and colonization. This isn't up for debate.

How is this not true?  Are you serious? 

It's not true because it's a patently false generalization?  America was not "built" on slavery.  Slavey (and it's lasting impact) is an ugly chapter in the US, that is currently experiencing an exclamation point period.  However, the idea that slavery was the key driver behind the rise of America is simply not supported by facts.

America's rise to world power because had more to do with "right place, right time" than anything else.  It was rich in untapped natural resources, too far from any other major powers to have external threats, and just happened to come of age during the industrial revolution.  Automation and innovation have more to do with her success than slavery. 

That's not to say certain individuals and regions didn't profit off slavery, but the entire economic engine was not predicated on slavery.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

New videos seemingly support the notion that (a) the Native protester approached the teens from Kentucky and (b) there was a group of black Israelites (for Jesus?) stirring shit up.

These have been the facts since the beginning. There's been video since the first day of the story.

Did the teens do stupid smartass teen shit?  Probably.

Does that kid have a punchable face?  Absolutely.

Do MAGA hats convey dipshittery?  No doubt.

Working very very VERY hard to ignore the obvious racism. Working overtime.

Maybe additional evidence will show these dudes were running an impromptu Klan rally and that started the whole thing.

Easy to make arguments against fabricated absurdity.

Edited by bad_teammate

55 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

He was approaching the kid to chide him or something. It was theatrical and aimed to put the White Boy in his place. Whatever just avoid it next time.

keep your head down and stay off the radar

what about the when the kids were approaching the Black Hebrew guys.  Should they have kept their heads down and stayed off the radar?  When the kid ripped off his shirt and started riling up the large group of his classmates, was that theatrical and aimed at putting the Black Muslims Hebrews in their place?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

These have been the facts since the beginning. There's been video since the first day of the story.

Would it still be racist without the MAGA hat? Would it still be genocidal? 

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

How is this not true?  Are you serious? 

It's not true because it's a patently false generalization?  America was not "built" on slavery.  Slavey (and it's lasting impact) is an ugly chapter in the US, that is currently experiencing an exclamation point period.  However, the idea that slavery was the key driver behind the rise of America is simply not supported by facts.

America's rise to world power because had more to do with "right place, right time" than anything else.  It was rich in untapped natural resources, too far from any other major powers to have external threats, and just happened to come of age during the industrial revolution.  Automation and innovation have more to do with her success than slavery. 

That's not to say certain individuals and regions didn't profit off slavery, but the entire economic engine was not predicated on slavery.

We really debating this? 😂 This country, most especially the Southern states, doesn't achieve it's current status without imported slave labor. It's insane to think otherwise.

I’ve seen maybe 3-4 different video clips and haven’t seen “obvious racism.”  That said, I’d be more than happy to consider any evidence that you believe proves up the racism you allege is obvious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Some investigators need to take a deep dive into the recent history of Kentucky politics. 

Something is just off with that state.  Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul?  Jfc someone check the drinking water for contamination that causes brain damage.

And causes teenage boys to grow tits.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait....SHE has an agenda. But every statement and carefully crafted narrative of the Covington kids must be treated as gospel truth, because, well, they’re clearly objective and have no agenda?

Oh God no.  I still want to punch that kid in his smug face.  What I'm saying is the no one is telling the full story.  They are only telling the parts that make them look good.  In my opinion, all 3 groups acted stupidly.  It's just that when doling out blame I tend to go softer on children than adults.  I'd say the high school kids are about 20-25% responsible, with the Black Hebrews and Nathan Phillip's group splitting the rest of the blame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Some investigators need to take a deep dive into the recent history of Kentucky politics. 

Something is just off with that state.  Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul?  Jfc someone check the drinking water for contamination that causes brain damage.

I'd like to better understand Kentucky v Ohio.  How does the blending of Ohio vs Kentucky work near Cincinnati.  Is Cincinnati a bit Kentucky, or is that whole area basically Ohio, or is it gradient. 

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Would not have done what, exactly?  

Well, first of all, I'd have never been at an anti-abortion protest hundreds of miles from my home state.

Secondly, I wouldn't have stood there mocking a native American's chant with a shit-eating smirk while my buddies mocked him by jumping and hooting like morons. 

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’ve seen maybe 3-4 different video clips and haven’t seen “obvious racism.”  That said, I’d be more than happy to consider any evidence that you believe proves up the racism you allege is obvious. 

Jumping around in his face mimicing his chanting isn't racist? lol ok bud

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Oh God no.  I still want to punch that kid in his smug face.  What I'm saying is the no one is telling the full story.  They are only telling the parts that make them look good.  In my opinion, all 3 groups acted stupidly.  It's just that when doling out blame I tend to go softer on children than adults.  I'd say the high school kids are about 20-25% responsible, with the Black Hebrews and Nathan Phillip's group splitting the rest of the blame.

The minorities hold the majority of the blame. hmmm weird how this works

[edit]

Hey I asked you some questions earlier, why are you ignoring them? Do you admit that the old man didn't "change his story" or lie?

Edited by bad_teammate

Worn racist symbols. Mocked an elderly man by standing directly in his face and smirking.

What racist symbol?  MAGA hat? 

And I addressed the letter point in my last post.  That elderly man walked right up to the Smirk and got in his face.  That kid didn’t mock him, at least not in the videos I’ve seen.  He tried to keep a straight face when a grown man walked up to him chanting and beating a drum.  Let that happen to you and see if you don’t crack a smile.

As to the other kids, who knows?  It was a big group of teenagers, so it’s almost a statiscial certainty that a few did shitty stuff.  

• Pancho changed the title to Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy