Texas vs. WVU @ 2:30 (Fox)

MirrOlure

2 minutes ago, torre said:

Holgorsen's press conf.   At about 15:00 he discusses Joe Wickline's OL and the DL.    Sounds like they are deep and improved.    Tough to watch first few minutes due to cough.

I hate that cough every week.  He either needs to see a doc about post nasal drip or quit toking up with Matthew McConaughey prior to the presser.

IT team notes:

TEAM

Expect a rotation of Wilbon, Graham, and Chisholm for the injured Chris Nelson, while still sliding Hager inside on occasion. Coburn would be the only freshman and his first game appearance.

Jeff McCulloch playing at Mac for the suspended Wheeler, per Herman.

It was just another week of practice. There wasn't a ton of emphasis on corrections, so much as just getting back to doing things correctly.

I asked about the poor tackling and heard, "Guys are wanting kill shots instead of wrapping up. You have to wrap up." I asked if not tackling in practice as much as last year has hurt. "Probably need to work on it some more but these guys know how to tackle. Just stay under control. Not every tackle has to be a highlight hit. Not scrimmaging has probably hurt because there are too many bad angles too."

As he's been prone to do, Herman steals a little Humidor thunder with his Thursday media availabilities. He mentioned two interesting things: Chris Nelson is out, and Anthony Wheeler will be suspended for the first series.

Nelson was rolled up on in practice on Tuesday. Replacing him will be Gerald Wilbon and then D'Andre Christmas. We may see Jamari Chisholm I doubt we see true freshman Keondre Coburn. You should know how this staff operates by now. Coburn has yet to scrimmage barefoot over coals so he hasn't earned his 'game ready' patch just yet.

Herman said Jeffrey McCulloch will play the first series in place of Wheeler at mac. This was news to my source which tells me McCulloch didn't get any extra snaps in anticipation of playing there this week. McCulloch does rep there, as well as at every other linebacker position, every week, so he should have an idea of what he's supposed to do. We've seen Orlando's defenses begin every game like they're stuck in quicksand so hopefully this change offers them a vine to grab onto.

Wheeler was disciplined for being late to a team lift. Sources tell me PJ Locke was on time for each of his.

On offense the interior triumvirate of Elijah Rodriguez, Zach Shackelford, and Derek Kerstetter rotated with both Rodriguez and Kerstetter working at center. Kerstetter an E-Rod are battling at guard but the work at center appears to be to create depth.

I received word of a likely transfer after the year. The player won't be a big surprise but he's solid depth and a good program guy.

I checked back in on the potential of underclassmen declaring early for the draft. I'll put percentages on their chances of returning.

WR Collin Johnson - 80%. The dude just loves Texas and people I ask assume he'll return.

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey - 30%. I would have had this at 10% prior to this week, but the possibility of the team winning and offense being really good in 2019 has his curiosity. Just another reason to keep winning.

DB Brandon Jones - 70%. This has more to do with him not being sure he's ready than the last game that kind of underlined that. He's been quiet about his future but we feel pretty good on his return as of now. Of the players mentioned he's the one with the most incentive to leave early.

21 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm not sure what all is wrong in our secondary, but teams with less lethal passing attacks have receivers running free with regularity

I have no idea what causes this either, but it’d be awesome if it stopped happening. I’d guess the lack of pass rush doesn’t help.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Back when more practices were open to the public my dad used to attend and chat with Frank Denius.  I remember several years ago they honored him and other veterans during a game, and his face was on the jumbotron, humbled so much at the recognition that he was weeping.  Made me tear up.  What a badass Longhorn.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes:

Reveal hidden contents

TEAM

Expect a rotation of Wilbon, Graham, and Chisholm for the injured Chris Nelson, while still sliding Hager inside on occasion. Coburn would be the only freshman and his first game appearance.

Jeff McCulloch playing at Mac for the suspended Wheeler, per Herman.

It was just another week of practice. There wasn't a ton of emphasis on corrections, so much as just getting back to doing things correctly.

I asked about the poor tackling and heard, "Guys are wanting kill shots instead of wrapping up. You have to wrap up." I asked if not tackling in practice as much as last year has hurt. "Probably need to work on it some more but these guys know how to tackle. Just stay under control. Not every tackle has to be a highlight hit. Not scrimmaging has probably hurt because there are too many bad angles too."

As he's been prone to do, Herman steals a little Humidor thunder with his Thursday media availabilities. He mentioned two interesting things: Chris Nelson is out, and Anthony Wheeler will be suspended for the first series.

Nelson was rolled up on in practice on Tuesday. Replacing him will be Gerald Wilbon and then D'Andre Christmas. We may see Jamari Chisholm I doubt we see true freshman Keondre Coburn. You should know how this staff operates by now. Coburn has yet to scrimmage barefoot over coals so he hasn't earned his 'game ready' patch just yet.

Herman said Jeffrey McCulloch will play the first series in place of Wheeler at mac. This was news to my source which tells me McCulloch didn't get any extra snaps in anticipation of playing there this week. McCulloch does rep there, as well as at every other linebacker position, every week, so he should have an idea of what he's supposed to do. We've seen Orlando's defenses begin every game like they're stuck in quicksand so hopefully this change offers them a vine to grab onto.

Wheeler was disciplined for being late to a team lift. Sources tell me PJ Locke was on time for each of his.

On offense the interior triumvirate of Elijah Rodriguez, Zach Shackelford, and Derek Kerstetter rotated with both Rodriguez and Kerstetter working at center. Kerstetter an E-Rod are battling at guard but the work at center appears to be to create depth.

I received word of a likely transfer after the year. The player won't be a big surprise but he's solid depth and a good program guy.

I checked back in on the potential of underclassmen declaring early for the draft. I'll put percentages on their chances of returning.

WR Collin Johnson - 80%. The dude just loves Texas and people I ask assume he'll return.

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey - 30%. I would have had this at 10% prior to this week, but the possibility of the team winning and offense being really good in 2019 has his curiosity. Just another reason to keep winning.

DB Brandon Jones - 70%. This has more to do with him not being sure he's ready than the last game that kind of underlined that. He's been quiet about his future but we feel pretty good on his return as of now. Of the players mentioned he's the one with the most incentive to leave early.

Thanks for posting this Machinator....

Seems like the IT writer's tone in the above post is frustrated with how this week's practices were conducted..... Anyone have more info on the team's preparation this week??

Slot defender is really good for West Virginia.... gonna make it more difficult for LJH tomorrow.  Time to see Herman get more creative in playcalling.....

Top 10 highest-graded Power-5 slot defenders, entering Week 9

BY THOMAS FRANK CARR • OCT 24, 2018

The ‘slot’ corner position used to be an afterthought in football about a decade ago. As we detailed last week about slot receivers, offenses are now using the slot to attack defenses on a regular basis. This has led to the slot defender becoming not just an important position, but many defensive coordinators now view them as a starter on defense.

With that in mind, here are the top 10 highest-graded slot defenders through the first half of the college football season.

This list of 10 highest-graded slot defenders is brought to you by Eckrich, the Official Smoked Sausage of the College Football Playoff.

[Editor’s note: The grades represented below are just grades when the specified defensive back is lined up in any one of the slot cornerback positions and not as an outside cornerback. To qualify, a defender must have played at least 100 snaps on defense from the slot.]

10. DRAVON ASKEW-HENRY, WEST VIRGINIA – 73.1

To the point in the open about slot defenders gaining importance, West Virginia deploys senior Askew-Henry entirely in the slot and he’s currently their second-highest graded cornerback the season. Askew-Henry has allowed only 114 yards on 10 receptions in the pass-happy Big 12. He has limited receivers in the slot to the tune of allowing just one reception every 12.2 snaps.

9. AJENE HARRIS, USC – 74.1

Harris has had a bit of an up and down year so far, much like the Trojans. His worst game of the season came in a loss to Texas yet, he bounced back nicely after that and played his best game of the year against Colorado and Lavikska Shenault Jr, who is the highest-graded receiver this year. Harris allowed two receptions to Shenault on four targets and had a pick-six on a tipped ball.

8. MYLES BRYANT, WASHINGTON – 74.8

The junior is a leader in the secondary that can play lights out in the right situation. In the Huskies win over Utah, Bryant allowed only one reception, which was for nine yards on 3rd & 25 and currently this season, he’s only allowing a reception every 9.2 snaps in coverage. As an added bonus, Byrant is great in the run game with an overall grade of 79.7 on the season.

7. JUSTUS PARKER, TEXAS TECH – 75.7

Parker’s raw numbers can be deceiving as most of the yards and every touchdown he’s given up this season came in two games against Ole Miss and Houston in Weeks 1 and 3, respectively, where he surrendered five receptions for 122 yards and a touchdown. Outside of those two games, he’s allowed just six receptions for 64 yards and no touchdowns while dominating in Big 12 play.

6. TAJ-AMIR TORRES, BOSTON COLLEGE – 75.8

Torres has seen more targets than anyone else on this list, yet despite that, he’s only allowed 23 receptions. His two worst games of the season came against NC State and Jakobi Meyers, who made our top 10 slot receiver list and his lone touchdown against him came against Purdue and Rondale Moore, who is rocketing up the true freshmen rankings. Despite logging so many snaps in coverage and playing against excellent receivers, Torres is still only giving up 1.2 yards per coverage snap.

5. INNIS GAINES, TCU – 76.0

Gaines has lined up primarily over slot receivers (228 out of 329 snaps) but has as lined up all across the TCU defensive front. In slot coverage specifically, he is allowing a ridiculous 0.39 yards per coverage snap and he’s snagged an interception and only allowed nine receptions in six games for 48 yards. Prior to allowing a season-high three catches for 19 yards (yes, those are season-highs), he had allowed 29 yards in the previous five games and sports a passer rating of 40.2 when targeted.

4. UGOCHUKWU AMADI, OREGON – 76.3

Teams have targeted Amadi 36 times this year from the slot and he’s given up a reception on just 52.7% of those targets, the best percentage among the top 10. He also leads the list with three interceptions from the slot to go with an outstanding 53.5 passer rating when targeted. Despite being targeted so much, Amadi has given up only two touchdowns on the season and has only given up a passer rating of over 80.0 on one occasion this season.

3. MIKE EDWARDS, KENTUCKY – 79.1

While some players on this list may excel in one area or another, Edwards has put up consistent numbers in nearly every metric in slot defense. He has the fourth-best passer rating when targeted at 61.0 and is allowing a reception once every 10 snaps. He has not allowed a touchdown and is one of the more versatile players in the top 10 as he’s played 100 snaps at free safety as well.

2. TAVEON BECK, CAL – 80.2

The Pac 12 takes the crown for ‘land of the slot corner’ with five defenders on this list and three of the top five. Beck has allowed just 76 yards from the slot in seven games this season. In what could be called his ‘worst outing’ to date, Beck allowed a mere three receptions for 28 yards to Oregon’s standout quarterback Justin Herbert.

1. JAVELIN GUIDRY, UTAH – 82.7

The Utes have climbed to the top of the Pac 12 South largely on the back of their defense. Guidry is a sticky cover man as he has been targeted the fourth most of any player in the top 10 on a per-snap basis. The sophomore has risen to the occasion, with a 65.8 passer rating when targeted this season, and he’s only getting better. He posted his two best overall coverage grades the past two weeks in wins over USC and Arizona.

36 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1. JAVELIN GUIDRY, UTAH – 82.7

The Utes have climbed to the top of the Pac 12 South largely on the back of their defense. Guidry is a sticky cover man as he has been targeted the fourth most of any player in the top 10 on a per-snap basis. The sophomore has risen to the occasion, with a 65.8 passer rating when targeted this season, and he’s only getting better. He posted his two best overall coverage grades the past two weeks in wins over USC and Arizona.

Sigh, I remember him. Suuuuuper salty we offered late and stuck to Utah.

Need help trying to remember jokes about Dana Holgorsen....

Some I remember are:

1) Red Bull consumption

2) Woody Harrelson look alike

3) Hillbilly stuff

Anything else come to mind??  I think the Charlie F'n Strong Twitter acct used to have some funny stuff too

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Some I remember are:

1) Red Bull consumption

3) Hillbilly stuff

Anything else come to mind??  I think the Charlie F'n Strong Twitter acct used to have some funny stuff too

Not quite a joke, but definitely trashed his half of the apartment when he and Kliff were roomies: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/wvu/2015/11/07/Holgorsen-and-Klingsbury-no-longer-share-an-apartment-but-they-share-a-strong-bond/stories/201511070038

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Some I remember are:

1) Red Bull consumption

3) Hillbilly stuff

Found one of the funny things on Holgorsen....

Dana Holgorsen inspired Matthew McConaughey’s look in his new movie

00:05  26 january  2017

Matthew McConaughey played a college football coach from West Virginia in "We are Marshall." For his newest movie "Gold," he'll just look like one.

If McConaughey resembles West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen in the upcoming movie, there's a good reason for that…

Via the Austin American-Statesman:

He pauses. "But you know where it really came from? I haven't told anyone else this. I went to the hair lady, said, 'It's this guy's hair,' and handed her a picture of Dana Holgorsen," McConaughey said, laughing uproariously.

I'd say the hair dresser did a bang-up job. Here's Holgorsen…

Nov 5, 2016; Morgantown, WV, USA; West Virginia Mountaineers head coach Dana Holgorsen greets West Virginia Mountaineers quarterback Skyler Howard (3) as they enter the field to play the Kansas Jayhawks at Milan Puskar Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports© USA TODAY Nov 5, 2016; Morgantown, WV, USA; West Virginia Mountaineers head coach Dana Holgorsen greets West Virginia Mountaineers quarterback Skyler Howard (3) as they enter the field to play the Kansas Jayhawks at Milan Puskar Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports

Here's McConaughey in "Gold"......

Edited by LTtxfan

Well fuck it. You guys are going to have to cheer the horns to a victory without me. Left the ranch a 5:45 this morning so we could watch the Stratford high cross country team at State in Round Rock before going to the game. We hit a deer 13 miles west of La Grange on 71. I’m waiting on the tow truck now.

Well fuck it. You guys are going to have to cheer the horns to a victory without me. Left the ranch a 5:45 this morning so we could watch the Stratford high cross country team at State in Round Rock before going to the game. We hit a deer 13 miles west of La Grange on 71. I’m waiting on the tow truck now.

On 71? Wow! Hope everyone is alright. Must’ve been a big hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Thoughts and prayers for the deer... may he make a speedy recovery.

Don't wanna be a pussy god but damn this game makes me nervous. Win and great we are right back on track. Lose and we start creeping back towards last ten years of bullshit with a Tech road game and a hot ISU at home lurking. This is Herman's most important game so far. It can set the tone for his tenure here. Middle of year two now, you need to put up or shut up and be resilient after a bad loss. Seniors seem to have collectively mailed it in since beating OU and getting bowl eligible. Hopefully this week Herman got them motivated that there are bigger fish to fry than just a bowl game. With that said, lets go kick some hillbilly mountain aggy ass.