Texas vs. WVU @ 2:30 (Fox)

MirrOlure

5 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

unless WVU can beat OU the last game of the year. Then we actually are back in if we win out after WVU. I think.

Another scenario still puts HORNS in B12 Championship Game......

If BlowU beats Tech, and

TEXAS wins against WVa, Iowa St, and Kansas..... Horns won't have to Win in Lubbock

Edited by LTtxfan

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Another scenario still puts HORNS in B12 Championship Game......

If BlowU beats Tech, and

TEXAS wins against WVa, Iowa St, and Kansas..... Horns won't have to Win in Lubbock

Yup. If Texas beats WVU, Texas-ISU (they only have KU and Baylor before then, KSU after; I know KSU owns them but they aren't losing in Ames to that shitty team with a CCG spot on the line) becomes a de-facto play in game regardless of the outcome in Lubbock.

1 hour ago, Blanton said:

Of course, West Virginia gets to play away at a conference leader during the afternoon slot. 

We better get an afternoon kickoff in Lubbock; otherwise we'll get another nice dose of home-fucking-cooking. 

giphy.gif

Doubt HORNS play Tech at night unless Red Raiders defeat BlowU this Saturday.   Bedlam Game is the same weekend as HORNS vs Tech.....

9b26fe9de12640e770b5487fa6d160da.jpg

7 hours ago, El Squared said:

Unfortunately, we will get Kliffies best since he always seems to be playing for his job that time of year and because they rally the dust-troopers for this game.

It's another OSU situation, hopefully that is recognized and appreciated by the coaching staff but I don't know why I just said that.

They’ll bee coming off an emotional week/ass whooping at the hands of the sooners.  Not as worried as usual about Lubbock this year....

They’ll bee coming off an emotional week/ass whooping at the hands of the sooners.  Not as worried as usual about Lubbock this year....

I don't know why peoole would be scared of Lubbock. Tech is not that good. Same Tech as always. They've managed to embarrass us in Austin the past two times they've been but the last time Texas lost there was (trigger warning) 2008. Before that it was 2002. Garrett Gilbert won in Lubbock. Charlie Strong won in Lubbock twice - once with a team that proceeded to lose to fucking Kansas the next week. It is the one stadium in this conference we've maintained full ownership of since 2010.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking at the stats, some reasons to give hope, others to despair (yes, I know stats can prove/disprove anything the person who cites them desires to prove. Mine are merely for informational purposes, no betting, please); 

Penalty Yards: Texas, #95 (65.38 ypg); WV, #112 (73.71); 

Turnover Margin: Texas, #21 (+.63); WV, #49 (+.29).  

I want to pause right here, because these two stats are very important. In fact, if you can lead your opponent in these two stats, it increases your chance to win. Just sayin'. You mean there is somebody worse at penalties than we are? Yes...WV and Tceh, our next two opponents. I think Tceh has about a 10-year hold on this stat, last in the Big-12 in penalties during that time frame;  

Pass Offense: Texas, #42 (255.4); WV, #9 (331.3);  

Rush Offense: Texas, #83 (154); WV, #89 (147.9);  

Now for the bad news; there is not a single remaining major category in which we lead WV. Offensively, defensively, etc., we don't win. But, that's why they still play the games on the field;  

Pass Yds. Allowed: Texas, #90 (245.3); WV, #57 (216.6);  

Rush Defense: Texas, #36 (133.3); WV, #34 (132.9);  

Sacks: Texas, #78 (15): WV, #47 (17).  

Net Punting: Texas, #89 (36.24); WV, #40 (39.32);  

Kick return defense: Texas, #96 (22.88); WV, #55 (20.17);  

etc.  

None of it looks very good. But, I'll go back to the first two stats- if we limit our penalties, and win the turnover war, we win the game. That is all.  

Hook 'em.  

Texas at Home coming off a loss to playing a ranked West Virginia is exactly the type of game I feel most confident with this team. It's the AT K-St, AT Okie Lite, At Tech games I worry about. Hell I feel more confident playing ousucks again than I do playing AT Tech. We play up and down to whoever we play and especially suck ass on the road.

Let's just hope Mensa doesn't fucking defer again so we can watch what we already know is gonna happen which is the defense gets scored on in 5 plays. Just fucking stop! Let the offense go out and start the game with a fucking 14 play clock chewing drive.

• Like 1

I'm not worried at all about ISU on account of it being a night game at home. We win this week, win in Lubbock, and barring significant injury, we should be able to take care of business against the cyclones. 

Our team has so much god damn potential, as evidenced by the end of the OSU game, but we have some lingering derpiness from the Strong era that should be removed by the end of this year. 

Kansas could be a weird trap game, kinda like Miami vs. Pitt last year, where the team is playing under weird weather conditions in a morning game. Could be a 14-17 kinda game (which I hope isn't the case, obviously)

• Like 1

I'll be interested to read more in depth analysis this week as I just haven't watched much WVU this year.  They looked awesome against Tech early (then I flipped channels and they almost blew that game).  Then they looked flat out horrible against Iowa St.  And then absolutely dominated a Baylor team that played us well looking every bit of a top 10 team.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'll be interested to read more in depth analysis this week as I just haven't watched much WVU this year.  They looked awesome against Tech early (then I flipped channels and they almost blew that game).  Then they looked flat out horrible against Iowa St.  And then absolutely dominated a Baylor team that played us well looking every bit of a top 10 team.

Good start here: http://sportstreatise.com/2018/10/the-bash-bros-are-coming-for-the-raid-bros/

42 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Baylor really didn't play that well besides a few drives here and there. Defense settled in and dominated them for the majority of the game after that. They didn't look anywhere near a top 10 team. Once Sam went down, we were so up and down on offense. And never could put them away even though they were begging us to do so. Missed FGs and could not capitalize inside the redzone. 

Baylor really didn't play that well besides a few drives here and there. Defense settled in and dominated them for the majority of the game after that. They didn't look anywhere near a top 10 team. Once Sam went down, we were so up and down on offense. And never could put them away even though they were begging us to do so. Missed FGs and could not capitalize inside the redzone. 
Pretty sure he was referring to WVU with the top 10 team thing. Bad grammar tho.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hate to say I saw last week coming...but I saw last week coming. Texas can not generate nor prevent big plays and OSU jumped all over that in the first half as I would have expected a coach like Gundy to do. When OSU decided they weren't going to shoot themselves in the foot this game (no turnovers, only 4 penalties), that was all that was needed. 3rd down defense of course was a huge problem again this week. Orlando knows it but his charges aren't executing.

Unfortunately, this week actually looks worse now since Texas clearly did not improve coming out of the bye week. WVa's offense is significantly better than OSU's as not only are they explosive (Top 15 in the country), but also very efficient (5th). This is OU lite in a lot of respects. WVa also has had penalty and turnover issues (their margin looks better because Baylor was so giving last week), but they will come to execute as they are coming off of consecutive bye weeks (yes that was a shot at Baylor). The only way Texas' defense holds this team under 40 this week is force some turnovers and hope WVa executes like they did against ISU. ISU's defense has certainly been executing better this year than Texas' has for the most part, but WVa helped that along by not looking crisp. Texas also has to generate sacks-WVa has actually given up more than you would expect given their offensive prowess, but Grier isn't as mobile as other quarterbacks in the league which probably attributes to it. 

WVa's defense is also "sneaky good".  What they have done well this year is get teams in 3rd and long. They do a good job stuffing the run on early downs and have been one of the best in the country on getting teams in 3rd and long. They are only allowing 30.1% on 3rd down conversions this year and doing it without the benefit of a lot of sacks (they are as bad as Texas is in that capacity). Texas has actually been reasonably good on 3rd down this year on offense which will be critical in this game to keep up. Too many wasted drives against OSU-that can not happen this week. Texas must be good on first down this week and play against tendencies. Expect that WVa will aggressively attack on first down to get Texas in predictable 3rd and long situations. If Texas can avoid that, they can sustain drives and keep up on the scoreboard. 

I don't expect special teams to make a significant difference in the game as WVa is neither exceptional nor poor on special teams. Our punting game is still problematic and Bujcevski did have a poor 4th quarter punt that gave OSU insurance points to secure the victory. Net punting for Texas has been a huge problem that won't go away this year and we will likely continue to give up points off of it. We knew it would be tough to replace Dicko, but this has frankly been worse than expected. 

Smells like back to back losses to me. Know Herman's teams generally overperform in this situation, but matchups matter in football and this is not one that plays to our strengths. We'd be better suited playing a team like LSU this week if we were trying to score the Herman upset special.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

Hate to say I saw last week coming...but I saw last week coming. Texas can not generate nor prevent big plays and OSU jumped all over that in the first half as I would have expected a coach like Gundy to do. When OSU decided they weren't going to shoot themselves in the foot this game (no turnovers, only 4 penalties), that was all that was needed. 3rd down defense of course was a huge problem again this week. Orlando knows it but his charges aren't executing.

Unfortunately, this week actually looks worse now since Texas clearly did not improve coming out of the bye week. WVa's offense is significantly better than OSU's as not only are they explosive (Top 15 in the country), but also very efficient (5th). This is OU lite in a lot of respects. WVa also has had penalty and turnover issues (their margin looks better because Baylor was so giving last week), but they will come to execute as they are coming off of consecutive bye weeks (yes that was a shot at Baylor). The only way Texas' defense holds this team under 40 this week is force some turnovers and hope WVa executes like they did against ISU. ISU's defense has certainly been executing better this year than Texas' has for the most part, but WVa helped that along by not looking crisp. Texas also has to generate sacks-WVa has actually given up more than you would expect given their offensive prowess, but Grier isn't as mobile as other quarterbacks in the league which probably attributes to it. 

WVa's defense is also "sneaky good".  What they have done well this year is get teams in 3rd and long. They do a good job stuffing the run on early downs and have been one of the best in the country on getting teams in 3rd and long. They are only allowing 30.1% on 3rd down conversions this year and doing it without the benefit of a lot of sacks (they are as bad as Texas is in that capacity). Texas has actually been reasonably good on 3rd down this year on offense which will be critical in this game to keep up. Too many wasted drives against OSU-that can not happen this week. Texas must be good on first down this week and play against tendencies. Expect that WVa will aggressively attack on first down to get Texas in predictable 3rd and long situations. If Texas can avoid that, they can sustain drives and keep up on the scoreboard. 

I don't expect special teams to make a significant difference in the game as WVa is neither exceptional nor poor on special teams. Our punting game is still problematic and Bujcevski did have a poor 4th quarter punt that gave OSU insurance points to secure the victory. Net punting for Texas has been a huge problem that won't go away this year and we will likely continue to give up points off of it. We knew it would be tough to replace Dicko, but this has frankly been worse than expected. 

Smells like back to back losses to me. Know Herman's teams generally overperform in this situation, but matchups matter in football and this is not one that plays to our strengths. We'd be better suited playing a team like LSU this week if we were trying to score the Herman upset special.

Go push some pencils, Sally.

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

Just posted a thread about it, but with J. Moore out for the season and Jamison day-to-day, we are extremely thin at slot receiver now behind LJH. Heard is probably our next option, and he's not much of an option.

Heard has been disappointing.  I don't think he's really improved at all from when he first moved over to WR and looked like he had some potential.   He really needs to step up and make some plays as a SR.

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

We already beat WVU on steroids and it's name is OU. Spare the sob story. Our defense had a bad quarter because our two best corners decided to be dumb asses off the field. I don't get why you're jumping off a bridge all of a sudden. This WVU team was pants-ed by Iowa State, we'll be fine.

I do not understand the people saying “I’m not worried about such-and-such game because...”. Maybe someday Herman will turn the team into a rolling ball of butcher knives, but for now this team has to fight tooth and nail for every win. That’s the only way Texas knows how to win, Dikembe Mutombo style.

• Like 1