Pizza

blacklab

• 2 weeks later...

^ Damn. Hadn't been there in years but was definitely in my regular rotation in college. <csb> Was actually where I stopped at for lunch with my folks when we came into town to tour the campus while in high school. </csb> That 29th/Guadalupe area keeps taking some hard L's too, what with Ruby's and the old Conan's recently gone. Quick, somebody go check on Ken's!

On 12/3/2018 at 2:40 PM, D_Goose said:

^ Damn. Hadn't been there in years but was definitely in my regular rotation in college. <csb> Was actually where I stopped at for lunch with my folks when we came into town to tour the campus while in high school. </csb> That 29th/Guadalupe area keeps taking some hard L's too, what with Ruby's and the old Conan's recently gone. Quick, somebody go check on Ken's!

c044becd-fd6b-4f3d-85a4-9186da0816e9_scr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

is that the one in a trailer near the HCG?

Yep.

Thread inspired a new place too.  Went to Pizzeria Costra Nostra off 71 in spicewood.  Enjoyed the pies. Strong showing.  Nice Crust. Real similar to backdraft in style and execution. Place is only a few weeks old, but they are a contender.  Online review suggest that the service is still ironing out the kinks.  We were there early and service was fine.  We were the only people eating there and most were doing pick ups though. 

Edited by Anastasis

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

little deli is my far and away #1

via is up there, and i know it's popular to hate on them but i love mangia

also mod is severely underrated.  i love it.  their all you can drink blackberry juice or whatever puts it over the top. 

Mangia used to do a pizza with chorizo and cheese as the filling, with a picante-type sauce and jalepenos on top. Miss that one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How the hell was Backspace not already mentioned?  Great pizza.  Shawn's son & our youngest went to elementary school together -- that dude can cook.

Our kids are a bit younger than Shawn’s, but we know them through the Highland Park/Lamar circle. In addition to his culinary skills, he’s an incredibly nice guy. We were sad to see Bullfight close.

17 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

little deli is my far and away #1

via is up there, and i know it's popular to hate on them but i love mangia

also mod is severely underrated.  i love it.  their all you can drink blackberry juice or whatever puts it over the top. 

5 hours ago, Deej said:

Mangia used to do a pizza with chorizo and cheese as the filling, with a picante-type sauce and jalepenos on top. Miss that one.

Yup, don't give a rat's ass what any of the other assholes on this site say, I still enjoy Mangia.  

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 11:14 AM, South Austin said:

Our kids are a bit younger than Shawn’s, but we know them through the Highland Park/Lamar circle. In addition to his culinary skills, he’s an incredibly nice guy. We were sad to see Bullfight close.

Know him well for the same reasons. Amazing family. We probably know each other.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, Anastasis said:

Backdraft moving to domain area in partnership with 4th tap. Gonna have to go down 71 for pizza now. 

As in Domain proper or are you talking about the Backdraft food truck that's been in the 4th Tap parking lot for awhile?

I work approximately 100 yards away, I guess I should try their pizza.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

As in Domain proper or are you talking about the Backdraft food truck that's been in the 4th Tap parking lot for awhile?

I work approximately 100 yards away, I guess I should try their pizza.

Not sure. That was basically what I was told at the truck before it moved a few weeks back. How long has there been a back draft truck at 4th tap. Never been. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

https://www.eater.com/2019/4/9/18300994/square-pizza-detroit-style-trend-buddys-emmy-squared-expansion

the least surprising thing in this article about the rise of detroit style pizza is a place in austin taking credit for it.

You mean, the guys that are actually from Detroit that moved to Austin to start a pizza shop?  OK, I guess...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Wife dragged me to Blanco today for some festival, I said I'd go if we could try Pieous on the way back.

Damn.  That is some REALLY good pizza.  I'd put it well above Homeslice, Salvation, and maybe better than Backspace.  Outstanding crust, legit sauce, great flavorful toppings.  We got the "Smokey Italian", which is topped with their house-smoked Italian sausage and some spiced up onions.  Nice heat, tons of flavor.  

I'm going back when I can, it's a bit out of the way, but Austin is fairly pizza-deficient.  I'll take a great pie like that any day.

• Like 1