The Turkey Thread

kevwun

6 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Y'all got a turkey (wet) brine recipe?

What the hell happened to hulla? @baboso 

The most important thing in a wet brine is the salt. It needs to be 1.25 - 1.5 cups per gallon. I don't really think the rest matters all that much. I had some experimental science on this at one point in time but I don't really remember it. I usually use a bunch of frozen apple juice from the grocery store, water and salt. 48 hr brine, at least 24 hours rest in the fridge before cooking, pat dry. 

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

The most important thing in a wet brine is the salt. It needs to be 1.25 - 1.5 cups per gallon. I don't really think the rest matters all that much. I had some experimental science on this at one point in time but I don't really remember it. I usually use a bunch of frozen apple juice from the grocery store, water and salt. 48 hr brine, at least 24 hours rest in the fridge before cooking, pat dry. 

Yeah the salt is by far the most important, but I do get some of the sugar in the final product.  

This year I'm going to brine and smoke one. I'm also going to smoke a couple bone-in breasts and confit in duck fat and beef tallow.
Went to the store to pickup a couple turkey breasts this morning and 1 breast was two dollars less than a whoke 12 pound turkey. Already butchered it up this morning, so now I'll smoke a couple extra hind quarters.

Now I can make my stock this weekend with the neck, back, and wings.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:33 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

So, here's an easy to do a small turkey (10 pounder).  If you set charcoal on fire, you can do this.  This is what you need:  10# charcoal, 10# turkey, 10-gallon metal trash can, wood/other stake to hang bird on, aluminum foil, and small shovel.  Optional sufficient beverage of choice.

1 Drive stake in ground then use foil to lay around stake.  At some point during cook the bird may slip or become tender enough to slide down stake.  Most likely with leave burn mark in grass.  Be sure of your cooking location.  

2 Hang bird on stake and cover with metal trash can.  Do the math or at least eyeball.  Set trash can near the hanging bird; make sure there is 2-3 of clearance.

3 Pour all the charcoal on top of the inverted trash can.  Set to fire.  Once the coals are established (you know greyish to orange) use shovel or other transfer device to surround the bottom of the can with some coals from the top.  See pict.

4 Pay attention, now it gets difficult.  Wait 1 1/2 hours.  Watch football or scroll Hot or Not thread.  Drink, Football, Drink,....

5 Easy off with trash can, bird maybe laying up against the side.  It's best to use a spotter to take a peek to see where bird is resting.

We done at least 8 or so like this and never had one not pass muster.  It's great way to do one at the deer lease or fish camp. Oh, you say but wait the galvanizing will make me sick. Nope.  It will not get hot enough to gas off.  Save trash can for next time.

20181122_095815_resized.jpg

20181122_100312_resized.jpg

20181122_100704_resized.jpg

20181122_110255_resized.jpg

20181122_122037_001_resized.jpg

This is very similar to an old Thai cooking method for chicken, they invert a used cooking oil can over it and burn it under grass/hay/straw.

https://youtu.be/CEHayLnKvwY

15 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

he's around.  Check the music board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

If I put a pan under my turkey in my Kamado would there be enough drippings to make gravy with? I’ve only roasted turkeys before

That one of the reasons I stick it in a foil pan with butter a couple hours in.  All the smoke it needs, won't dry out, and butter is awesome for gravy.  I'll already have turkey stock made for gravy, dressing, etc.

I usually fry turkeys but I’m smoking them this year for the 1st time.  I’m still going to inject them with Prudhomme’s recipe of blended garlic, onions, celery, jalapeños, bunch of spices and butter. Do I still need to brine it? Also, when frying, I usually rub bunch of the mixture on the outside. Should I do that with the pre-smoked birds or will that fuck up the skin?  

Edited by TonyTexas

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I usually fry turkeys but I’m smoking them this year. I’m still going to inject them with Prudhomme’s recipe of blended garlic, onions, celery, jalapeños, bunch of spices and butter. Do I still need to brine it? Also, when frying, I usually rub bunch of the mixture on the outside. Should I do that with the smoked birds or will that fuck up the skin?  

If it is a fresh turkey, yes brine it.  If it's frozen and "basted" (check the label), then no.  The bird can only take so much salt.

Rubbing butter and spices won't fuck up the skin, but I would use a toothpick skewer and poke some holes in the fatty areas so that it can render while it cooks.  Makes for a much nicer color and texture. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 11:10 AM, tigol said:

I pulled mine off of the smoker with the breast at 159 and the thighs at 165.  Am a good after resting it for an hour?

I didn't give enough context here.  I smoked it to those temps, rested it for an hour, then vacuum sealed it and froze it.  My plan is to thaw it and bring it back up sous vide in a 165 degree water bath for an hour or so.  I think that should kill any Salmonella if it's still present.  Also, it is a frozen turkey that was pre-brined and I spatchcocked it.  I bought some spring loaded poultry shears that made it so much easier than a knife or kitchen shears.  I used a brick of unsalted softened Kerrygold butter and rubbed it under the loosened skin of the breasts and then all over the bird.  I also pierced the skin 20-25 times with one of those fondu skewers that is always lurking in the silverware drawer waiting to stab me. This was the only rub I used.  https://jp-bbq.com/collections/frontpage/products/sexy-chicken

Edited by tigol
More stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Annual bump of Kenji articles. You don't need to brine. I like brining, particularly wet brining. But it is a large pain to do. Kenji swears by dry brining which is a helluva lot less of a pain.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving

Good article, but I still prefer a wet brined turkey for smoking.  As opposed to roasting, I think the smoke penetration gives the added moisture flavor. 

These brining buckets make it a lot less of pain as long as you have room in a fridge for them.  You can even fit a brisket in them for pastrami as long as it's not a huge one.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/briner-buckets/all-cooking-dehydrating?msclkid=c77c436dc20b1f06457122f70872953a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI) BR - Shopping&utm_term=4580359289481766&utm_content=Seasonings

On 11/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

If I put a pan under my turkey in my Kamado would there be enough drippings to make gravy with? I’ve only roasted turkeys before

I tried that on my wsm one year.  There were drippings, but the veggies I had in there didn't get the moistness that they had when we put them in a roasting pan with the bird. 

7 hours ago, tigol said:

I didn't give enough context here.  I smoked it to those temps, rested it for an hour, then vacuum sealed it and froze it.  My plan is to thaw it and bring it back up sous vide in a 165 degree water bath for an hour or so.  I think that should kill any Salmonella if it's still present.  

You'll be fine, you probably picked up 10-15 degrees from carryover cooking, and those are already higher temps than I use.

• Hook 'Em 1

have not smoked a bone in turkey breast before but doing a couple this year.

any thoughts/changes to my basic plan below, ripped from Matt @ Meat Church

• brine
  • season
  • smoke ~275
  • after about 90 min begin basting with herb butter
  • pull at ~160

on the fence about actually brining them, if they are natural i should 100% do it right? (i may actually do a dry brine vs wet brine since i am doing 2)

23 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Annual bump of Kenji articles. You don't need to brine. I like brining, particularly wet brining. But it is a large pain to do. Kenji swears by dry brining which is a helluva lot less of a pain.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving

I came here looking for a reason to skip the pain in the ass brining process this year and you delivered good sir.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NoName said:

on the fence about actually brining them, if they are natural i should 100% do it right? (i may actually do a dry brine vs wet brine since i am doing 2)

Always brine (either wet or dry). Huge benefit to moisture and tenderness.

Even with mass-factory birds that are saline-injected, I still dry brine, just reduce the salt.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Make gravy by making stock from the neck and gizzards. After you make the gravy you can add smoked drippings a little at a time. It can definitely be overwhelming if you add too much but if you get it right, it’s glorious.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Make gravy by making stock from the neck and gizzards. After you make the gravy you can add smoked drippings a little at a time. It can definitely be overwhelming if you add too much but if you get it right, it’s glorious.

^This.  Be careful with any drippings from a brined bird.  Can get way salty way quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
2 hours ago, Rip76 said:
Smoking a turkey this year on a traeger. (First time)
Would you go 225 or 250?

I go with 350 because that's what Aaron Franklin told me to do and it's worked several times without fail. If you haven't watched Franklin's Thanksgiving turkey videos on the YouTube, you should.

I just watched them.  (maybe not the right one’s as he didn’t really mention length of time.

So for a 15lb turkey, how long would you cook at 350?

*** and at what point would you wrap

Edited by Rip76

I usually go 350 for 1.5 to 2 hours on a 20# turkey unwrapped.  Until the skin gets the brown color and the meat has absorbed the smoke. Place in a foil pan with a pound of butter and tent with foil. Continue cooking until it hit proper internal temp.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I didn't have my phone with me when I got inspired last night after a vodka drink and busted out the DeWalt to de-spine this year's bird. He is resting in a nice salt bath in a bag in a crate in my basement fridge. I might have cut into the back of the breast plate getting a little aggressive with the reciprocating saw but man is it satisfying. I wonder if Jeff Dahmer started out as a spatchcocker. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

any recs for holding temp if meal gets pushed back some?

at this point, probably going to wrap and throw in a pre-warmed cooler...

Toss it in a cooler with towels in the headspace after it's rested for a bit.  I'm sure oven space will be at a premium.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I've got a 19lber I'm going to do on the WSM. Gonna use the Franklin method. Taking it overt to a friends place around 12 to eat at 2 (will transport in cooler). Thinking I should be putting it on around 730-8 to pull on time.  Does that sound about Right?

Yeah sounds about right.  I normally do 15-17 pounders for around 3 hours or so.