The Turkey Thread

kevwun

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Traeger

No idea about a water pan there.  If it's for supposed added moisture, I'd skip it.  I suspect it's not for a heat sink since that setup should be pretty automated.  I vote skip.  Maybe a pan underneath to catch drippings to use later in gravy?  You can put some broth in it if you don't want it empty?

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I've got a 19lber I'm going to do on the WSM. Gonna use the Franklin method. Taking it overt to a friends place around 12 to eat at 2 (will transport in cooler). Thinking I should be putting it on around 730-8 to pull on time.  Does that sound about Right?

I'd say put it on about 9:30.  I also adhere to the Franklin method, and I'm putting mine (20 lbs on WSM 22.5") at 9 for a 12:30 or 1 pm. (who can say) lunchtime.  I run the WSM wide open with an empty water pan.  It usually takes just under 3 hours for me with the bird on the top (hot) rack.

That would give you about 45 minutes to rest it and time to slice and serve right at 2.

Don't mess with low and slow with Turkey.  Hot temps equal crispy skin.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'd say put it on about 9:30.  I also adhere to the Franklin method, and I'm putting mine (20 lbs on WSM 22.5") at 9 for a 12:30 or 1 pm. (who can say) lunchtime.  I run the WSM wide open with an empty water pan.  It usually takes just under 3 hours for me with the bird on the top (hot) rack.
That would give you about 45 minutes to rest it and time to slice and serve right at 2.
Don't mess with low and slow with Turkey.  Hot temps equal crispy skin.

Thanks. I was thinking 3-3.5 hours. I’ve got the 18 inch but should be similar. It seems like last time I tried to run it hot, I couldn’t get over 275 but I didn’t open the door at all. I plan to fill the base with charcoal then load a full chimney on top, or should I do two chimneys? I’m aiming to leave my place around 12 or just before.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Thanks. I was thinking 3-3.5 hours. I’ve got the 18 inch but should be similar. It seems like last time I tried to run it hot, I couldn’t get over 275 but I didn’t open the door at all. I plan to fill the base with charcoal then load a full chimney on top, or should I do two chimneys? I’m aiming to leave my place around 12 or just before.

I always minion method on the charcoal, which I know doesn't make sense when I'm cooking hot, but procedures are in place.  Mine gets up to about 300F wide open.  I haven't bothered cracking the door, but that's an option.  Just keep the water pan empty.

With turkey, I consider it a pretty tight window.  I'd rather be late and last on the buffet line than early.  Once it's sliced up, we're sitting down to eat.  So I like it to be the last thing ready.

Also, I don't know who may need to hear this, but cut those turkey breasts off the bird and cut against the grain (heard it called scallops).  Such an improvement.

Edited by dcbc

All y'all cooking on a WSM...have you ever tried finishing in the oven on higher heat (say 425) to crisp the skin? In the past I've followed Franklin's recipe with the butter bath and foil the last half to third. But skin winds up rubbery. Wondering what would happen if I skipped the foil and just put in the oven after basting with butter.

We travel to the in-laws every other Thanksgiving. The MIL asks me at the last minute every year if I’ll cook the turkey. It’s fine with me since I do a better job than anyone else there. This year we were running behind getting out of town so I just stopped at Central Market and bought the stuff in the picture below. Cooked at 325 until the breasticles were 165. Brined 15lb turkey for 16hrs. It was the best whole turkey that I’ve ever had (no pics). Highly recommend for anyone that wants to simplify Thanksgiving.

f40922cc6ab9216c2f65c21068cfea93.jpg

The flip method actually works pretty well. It would have been perfect if I didn’t tuck some butter between the skin and the breast. That created some hot spots and the skin got darker there then the rest of the bird. Pretty sure I would have been able to skip tenting the breast if it wasn’t for that. 

I also smoked a breast using Franklin’s method and some legs as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:52 AM, TXSG8R said:

I’m trying a new method this year, cooking halfway breast side down and then flipping. Supposed to keep the breasts a little more moist and prevent having to tent them. 

Before I took over and started smoking the turkey, my family elders  (mom) went off some recipe my sister scrawled down watching Martha Stewart on some morning program.  The notes are frantic and hilarious and written up the side of the notepad paper.  Anyway, one of the instructions is to cook it breast down for most, if not all, of the cook For some reason, no one ever noticed that instruction in the scrawl until my in-laws asked for the recipe and I asked them why the Turkey was upside-down. 

TLDR, it works well for roasted turkeys. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2021 at 3:18 PM, Classic Rock said:

I am trying one of these this: https://store.donsspecialtymeats.com/whole-deboned-turkey-stuffed-w-cornbread-dressing-serves-8-10/

I have cooked their chickens before and they are fabulous.

Try these guys

Home - Cajun Meats

They may or may do boneless turkeys, but ANY of their boneless chickens w dressing are bad ass.  Located out on Kuykendahl Rd.  IIRC they sell the chickens to some of the Bucee's.

• 10 months later...

I’ll post it directly out of my Justin Wilson book without comment since the ingredients are sure to spark some surly comedy
cd99951ecf9606bb8da100f699719894.jpg
b73893e8cdf37b243701f419c9a7d726.jpg

I love Justice n Wilson but liquid smoke ain’t going into anything I cook.

I am pro brine with unprocessed fresh birds. I think wet brining a turkey that has been plumped with the finest saline/chemo solution makes for a mushy product.

I like getting those 3lb turkey breast roasts that are in the jet-netting. Brine 'em about 6 hours. Season 'em real nice and then throw 'em on my WSM, still inside of the netting. I usually have the temp around 250 when I thrown 'em on and let it rise up to about 290-300ish. Turn out great every time. Glad I saw this thread, need to go ahead and stark stocking up on them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I love Justice n Wilson but liquid smoke ain’t going into anything I cook.

I am pro brine with unprocessed fresh birds. I think wet brining a turkey that has been plumped with the finest saline/chemo solution makes for a mushy product.

I’m anti liquid smoke as well, but he puts it in the water pan.  I can’t imagine it would make a difference either way.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've picked up a 22 pounder last week when I was under the impression that the seven additional people we were expecting for Thanksgiving were, in fact, coming.  That's okay.  More meat for gumbo the next day. 

Doing the Franklin method.  Nothing heritage about this bird.  Straight butterball.  Don't care.  Don't have to brine.  It'll be delicious.

Edited by dcbc

smoking turkey breasts (boneless, HEB one) this weekend. can't recommend it enough, smoke, cool, slice, vac seal and heat up on thanksgiving day with sous vide or redneck sous vide on the stovetop. gives you flexibility around eating time.

usually roll with the Franklin Method

• 2:1 pepper to salt on the bird
  • smoke at 265 until golden brown or 145 IT
  • double wrap in foil (don't skimp on doubling up on foil), skin side down with 2 sticks of butter
  • smoke until 160 IT
  • cool to 140, slice, enjoy

i've also done it like Chud does which is basically the same (brine, pat dry, season, smoke 275 until 145 IT, confit in hotel pan w/ clarified butter + herbs until 155 IT, cool to 140, slice, enjoy) and used dukes as a slather.

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Do you take the skin off like AF? I've always wanted to try but never have been brave enough to do it with an actual whole bird or titty. 

While you wait for @NoName to respond, when I mentioned the Franklin method, I was referring to the Thanksgiving episodes of the PBS web series.  Skin stays on in that one, but the rest of the first method he mentions looks like what I've been doing with a whole bird.  Only difference is I do a Mack Brown addition by stuffing the carcass full of orange slices.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I skinned and spatchcocked the turkey last year with a butter injection (two sticks, melted, with a quarter cup of cholula) and seasoned with BBQ rub and smoked it at 275 for about an hour and a half.  Put it in a pan and basted with butter, covered until it hit 160 and then threw some bbq sauce on it.  Pulled at 165 in the breast. 

I've been told that I'm cooking turkeys from now on for Thanksgiving.  Will take pics this year.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Do you take the skin off like AF? I've always wanted to try but never have been brave enough to do it with an actual whole bird or titty. 

yes, i take it off. don't get enough temp to crisp it up and nobody in my fam likes it anyway.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NoName said:

i've also done it like Chud does which is basically the same (brine, pat dry, season, smoke 275 until 145 IT, confit in hotel pan w/ clarified butter + herbs until 155 IT, cool to 140, slice, enjoy) and used dukes as a slather.

I'm doing the Chud method this year.  But am going to slather with Dukes.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, NoName said:

yes, i take it off. don't get enough temp to crisp it up and nobody in my fam likes it anyway.

Interesting. I do a whole bird for my side of the family and a breast for the in laws. I don't think they are adventurous enough to let me try the skin off method but on my side I'm the cook and I do what I want.  Except I'm scared to try it and fuck it up. Anyone do skin off for a whole bird? I typically butterfly it and smoke it at 300-325. But the skin is always meh at best.