So, Jack Reacher without Tom Cruise

Gil Bang

On tapa so no link, but today Lee Child said Reacher would be streaming as a series, without TC. He said that Tom Cruise is a terrific actor, and was a pleasure to work with, but he was miscast in the role.

They are actively looking for an actor to plat Reacher, and Child says that he welcomes anyone’s suggestions.

I’m actually excited about this in the food and watching it on Netflix or Amazon or wherever

• Like 1

I nominate the dude who played Opie in Sons of Anarchy, or maybe Liev Schriever.  

I also think Cruz did a fine job as Reacher, and enjoyed both movies.  THat said, he was clearly mis-cast in that role.  The whole Reacher aura and mystique is physical stature, and while I think Cruz captured the essence of Reacher's personality and wit, he could obviously never bring to the screen the physical presence and intimidation so necessary to make the Reacher character feel authentic.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I nominate the dude who played Opie in Sons of Anarchy, or maybe Liev Schriever.  

I also think Cruz did a fine job as Reacher, and enjoyed both movies.  THat said, he was clearly mis-cast in that role.  The whole Reacher aura and mystique is physical stature, and while I think Cruz captured the essence of Reacher's personality and wit, he could obviously never bring to the screen the physical presence and intimidation so necessary to make the Reacher character feel authentic.  

If you just think of the Reacher movies as more "generic bad-ass beats up the bad guys and saves the day" movies, they're fine, but as much as I like Cruise in most things, he just wasn't Jack Reacher.

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

It just occurred to me that they could have filled every role  other than Reacher with midgets.  It would have worked.  

Didn't they do old Alan Ladd westerns that way?

I like to think I’m up on things, but I didn’t realize the jerk from Lost was played by an actor named Kevin Durand (I thought the poster was making a Kevin Durant joke), and I sure as hell didn’t know who Joel Kinnaman is, so I Googled. 

What I came away with was an appreciation for his wife, who has completely turned me around on tatted chicks. Holy moly. 

a5398e94794e37970ea89a5e5dc0e1dc.jpg

Cleo Wattenstrom

Edited by Vito Andolini

Reacher was born in 1960.  Now, they have a few options.  If they want to be true to the literary work, as Lee Child is espousing now, then he'd be near 60 and you'd have to have an actor of this age.  You could have the series start in the late 90's as the books did and therefore have a small period piece and have a younger actor like a Hemsworth or Skarsgard.  Or you could simply ignore the books and place him in the current period but have him at the age of his first book at 36/37 and therefore born in 1980ish.

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Reacher was born in 1960.  Now, they have a few options.  If they want to be true to the literary work, as Lee Child is espousing now, then he'd be near 60 and you'd have to have an actor of this age.  You could have the series start in the late 90's as the books did and therefore have a small period piece and have a younger actor like a Hemsworth or Skarsgard.  Or you could simply ignore the books and place him in the current period but have him at the age of his first book at 36/37 and therefore born in 1980ish.

Same issues "Bosch" and  "Longmire" had.  The main character  of both of those were Vietnam vets (or "characters" in the case of Longmire...both Walt and Henry) .  They just ignored that aspect for Longmire, and made Bosch an Iraq vet instead. 

Same issues "Bosch" and  "Longmire" had.  The main character  of both of those were Vietnam vets (or "characters" in the case of Longmire...both Walt and Henry) .  They just ignored that aspect for Longmire, and made Bosch an Iraq vet instead. 
Do that. Plenty of modern storylines that would match up with the books.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, pepper brooks said:

Penelope?