Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If he hadn’t structured his contract the way he did at USF, he would have been paid the same by USF (total over X years) but less by Texas, correct? So he would have made less money total between the two schools. Maximizing his money seems to be in his family’s best interest more than it being about “fucking over Texas.”

Incorrect. The money works out the same. Anything signed for with USF is deducted from the UT obligation. That’s it. So no, he wasn’t being a sweet innocent man just looking out for his family’s best interest. Sorry. 

Hello darkness, my old friend. I see I have brought you out again. 
1. The shithole he left behind at OL was slightly less bad than the one Mack left behind. As for QBs, he tried and failed to get Wittek, and that was because a) Wittek's fault; and we should have been relieved because,  b) Wittek sucked anyway. 
2. Always a pleasure to read your honied prose. You are the Percy Foreman of this and all predecessor sites -- you  are able and very willing to defend false premises with salvoes of well-written 100 percent bullshit. I admire that. I do.
But no, Mack did in fact leave behind a program that was rotting and getting funkier by the day.
You just cannot argue against it.
Do you deny that?
Some of the real dedicated recruiting dorks over here that we love and adore once put together a list of Mack's big targets for the years after we finally gave him the boot, and it was pretty terrifying in retrospect. Actually, you could laugh at it, a little bit, because it did not come to pass. Some were run of the mill busts, I seem to recall a criminal or two, but none went on to be a fucking football player worthy of the name. 
Add that to the fact that the University of fucking Texas fucking Longhorns stopped turning out draftable players under Mack's watch. Charlie absolutely reversed that trend. 
My point is, and has been for the last couple of years is, that Charlie Strong left behind a better program than the one he came in to. 
We can argue all you want about who might have been a better hire back then, but what I just said is a fact. I have shown you with the dozen or so NFL quality players he left behind, as opposed to the three or four legit NFL starters Mack left him. You can hate-jerk-it some more if you want about other aspects of the Strong tenure, but that is a fact. He left a better program behind than the one he found. 

I like Strong and rooted for him all the way to the Kansas game, but there is no way he left the program better than when he took over. His teams and record were terrible, and that three years of horrible performance put the next coach in a tough spot to attract top talent. And yet Herman has done that. Strong is the worst coach in Texas history.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Hello darkness, my old friend. I see I have brought you out again. 

1. The shithole he left behind at OL was slightly less bad than the one Mack left behind. As for QBs, he tried and failed to get Wittek, and that was because a) Wittek's fault; and we should have been relieved because,  b) Wittek sucked anyway. 

2. Always a pleasure to read your honied prose. You are the Percy Foreman of this and all predecessor sites -- you  are able and very willing to defend false premises with salvoes of well-written 100 percent bullshit. I admire that. I do.

But no, Mack did in fact leave behind a program that was rotting and getting funkier by the day.

Do you deny that?

Some of the real dedicated recruiting dorks over here that we love and adore once put together a list of Mack's big targets for the years after we finally gave him the boot, and it was pretty terrifying in retrospect. Actually, you could laugh at it, a little bit, because it did not come to pass. Some were run of the mill busts, I seem to recall a criminal or two, but none went on to be a fucking football player worthy of the name. 

Add that to the fact that the University of fucking Texas fucking Longhorns stopped turning out draftable players under Mack's watch. Charlie absolutely reversed that trend. 

My point is, and has been for the last couple of years is, that Charlie Strong left behind a better program than the one he came in to. 

We can argue all you want about who might have been a better hire back then, but what I just said is a fact. I have shown you with the dozen or so NFL quality players he left behind, as opposed to the three or four legit NFL starters Mack left him. You can hate-jerk-it some more if you want about other aspects of the Strong tenure, but that is a fact. He left a better program behind than the one he found. 

Kansas

38 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I like Strong and rooted for him all the way to the Kansas game, but there is no way he left the program better than when he took over. His teams and record were terrible, and that three years of horrible performance put the next coach in a tough spot to attract top talent. And yet Herman has done that. Strong is the worst coach in Texas history.

You don't understand how much worse it would have gotten under Mack. If Herman took the reins when Charlie did, we'd be cursing his name now the same way we do Charlie's, trust me. Or fight me, I don't give a fuck, but it's a fact. Mack set up the next coach to fail, mostly through incompetence but at least somewhat intentionally, 'cause that's just how that playa play. He's a dick. This is known.

Mack left Charlie in a tough spot to attract top talent and yet he has done just that, too. 

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You literally failed to address anything I said, then accused me of being full of shit while doing so. Congrats on that attempt at whole cloth deflection. 

I didn’t craft a defense agaisnt Mack Brown as I ran Chuckles over. I don’t need to do so. I despise both guys and they’re independent in terms of what they did or didn’t do. 

I said Charlie isn’t exactly a great guy just because you say he is. I asked for you to defend your position while offering specifics that argue against it. 

I said Choll walked into a bad situation, like most new coaches not named Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day, and he did shockingly poorly compared to even other bad hires. He posted 3 consecutive losing seasons at Texas. A sped like you could probably summon a winning season at least once in 3 tries on UT’s campus  

I referenced he failed to address issues, specifically QB, with any sense of urgency. You limpdicked a response with Max Wittek, then blamed Wittek, and then that’s it. There were 100+ JUCO and transfer QBs signed to FBS schools in Chuckie’s first two years on campus. Max Wittek wasn’t the fucking problem. Dipshit headcoaching was the problem. 

Try as you might to knock the windmills down with a strong lean and blowhard breath, there is no escaping the reality that Charlie Strong was the worst head coach in Texas history. He was an embarressment while here and he’s failing at his new role, on UT’s dime, currently as well. In many ways, you are the posting equivalent of Sweet Chuck’s UT performance - a lot of activity frantically attempting to manufacture some form of disorganized success, but in the end, it’s just discombobulated, hurried stoogery that isn’t necessarily worth the effort for those trapped into observing it. 

Good stuff. Will you admit, at least, that I bring out the best in your rhetoric? 

(I'll get around to your points when I have more time.)

We may just get new data points for those wanting to continue this exciting line of inquiry. Strong will be starting year three of his USF Bulls stint, having created a 7-6 juggernaut out of the 11-2 dumpster fire he inherited. Meanwhile, to count to 7 wins for UNC prior to this year, you’d have to go all the way back to 11/5/2016. Can Mack stop the pain this year and manage 6 wins? Can Charlie? Tune in December 2019 for the answer.

15 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

We may just get new data points for those wanting to continue this exciting line of inquiry. Strong will be starting year three of his USF Bulls stint, having created a 7-6 juggernaut out of the 11-2 dumpster fire he inherited. Meanwhile, to count to 7 wins for UNC prior to this year, you’d have to go all the way back to 11/5/2016. Can Mack stop the pain this year and manage 6 wins? Can Charlie? Tune in December 2019 for the answer.

This gets back to how maddening it is to evaluate coaches. Who is winning with whose players and when? Charlie built a program up in Kentucky that the supposed evil wizard Petrino wrecked like a motorcycle with a hot coed aboard. Yes, much of that was on the back of Teddy Bridgwater, but hey, guess who recruited him? And Louisville was churning out NFL talent that Charlie recruited just like Texas is once again putting players on rosters. 

Yes, this will be an interesting year for Charlie. So far we know: he can build a program. He can't quickly turn around another program on a more prominent stage. He can win with a roster that was stacked for him. He can also lose with a roster that was a little less stacked for him in year two. He has this year and next year to prove if he is a great head coach or....maybe a coordinator. 

You don't understand how much worse it would have gotten under Mack. If Herman took the reins when Charlie did, we'd be cursing his name now the same way we do Charlie's, trust me. Or fight me, I don't give a fuck, but it's a fact. Mack set up the next coach to fail, mostly through incompetence but at least somewhat intentionally, 'cause that's just how that playa play. He's a dick. This is known.
Mack left Charlie in a tough spot to attract top talent and yet he has done just that, too. 

I doubt if Herman would have ever kicked off in both halves or ever had a game where the team was completely unable to kick an extra point.

What exactly is the argument here? Surely it isn't whether Mack Brown or Charlie Strong was the better coach, right? Because that isn't a serious discussion. 

Mack won more consistently at UT than any other coach since Royal. I get it, conference championships, blowout losses, thin-skinned, etc...take the good with the bad, and he was still better than anyone since Royal, and arguably the second-best coach we've had.

Strong, on the other hand, was just awful. Yes Mack inherited a better roster. He also recruited incredible talent to the program for many years. Strong had roster deficiencies, but he also made head-scratching choices, didn't seem to be in charge of his program (didn't he say once that he didn't know what the offensive strategy was going to be?), and his teams got worse the longer he was here. 

Post-2009 Mack sucked, to be sure. He left Strong with a pretty shitty roster. Strong left Herman with a pretty shitty roster. Who cares which was worse? The difference is pretty much negligible. 

42 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Post-2009 Mack sucked, to be sure. He left Strong with a pretty shitty roster. Strong left Herman with a pretty shitty roster. Who cares which was worse? The difference is pretty much negligible. 

More to the point, it clearly wouldn't have mattered if Mack had left Charlie more to work with, because he obviously didn't know what to do with it. Arguing that he wasn't the worst coach in Texas football history is just choosing to willfully ignore more accumulated evidence than is required in a capital murder case.

Meanwhile, we don't have to worry about either, because we are now no longer in the late-stage Mack era nor in the Charlie Strong era. We're in the "Hot damn, we just beat down Georgia and are about to do the same to LSU, and then we're just getting started" era.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

More to the point, it clearly wouldn't have mattered if Mack had left Charlie more to work with, because he obviously didn't know what to do with it. Arguing that he wasn't the worst coach in Texas football history is just choosing to willfully ignore more accumulated evidence than is required in a capital murder case.

Meanwhile, we don't have to worry about either, because we are now no longer in the late-stage Mack era nor in the Charlie Strong era. We're in the "Hot damn, we just beat down Georgia and are about to do the same to LSU, and then we're just getting started" era.

Truth. We aren’t “withstand[ing] the surge.” Instead we are “show[ing] them what they signed up for.”

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

What exactly is the argument here? Surely it isn't whether Mack Brown or Charlie Strong was the better coach, right? Because that isn't a serious discussion. 

Mack won more consistently at UT than any other coach since Royal. I get it, conference championships, blowout losses, thin-skinned, etc...take the good with the bad, and he was still better than anyone since Royal, and arguably the second-best coach we've had.

Strong, on the other hand, was just awful. Yes Mack inherited a better roster. He also recruited incredible talent to the program for many years. Strong had roster deficiencies, but he also made head-scratching choices, didn't seem to be in charge of his program (didn't he say once that he didn't know what the offensive strategy was going to be?), and his teams got worse the longer he was here. 

I believe two things:

1. There were two Macks. One was the second-best coach Texas ever had, and the other was the worst coach Texas ever had.

2. Charlie was not the worst coach Texas ever had, because late Mack was the worst coach Texas ever had. 

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

You're talking about 7-5 KU in 2005 vs the winless in conference KU* of 2016.

* winless except for Charlie

And you are talking about an injury-depleted very young roster that did not have the greatest QB in college football history in the huddle. That Mack ALMOST LOST TO FUCKING KANSAS WITH VINCE YOUNG IN THE HUDDLE is more damning than actually losing to Kansas. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And you are talking about an injury-depleted very young roster that did not have the greatest QB in college football history in the huddle. That Mack ALMOST LOST TO FUCKING KANSAS WITH VINCE YOUNG IN THE HUDDLE is more damning than actually losing to Kansas. 

First almost is different than actual.  Second Kansas was a pretty solid team and Mangino would take them to the Orange Bowl a few years later.  So let's not pretend that there is any comparison to 2016 KU which would never have won a single conference game if not for Strong's incompetence..  You've even had to descend to the old soap opera device, the evil twin to even begin to make a case that Mack Brown is in the same universe as Charlie Strong as a terrible coach.  Mack's worst year was better than anything Charlie produced at Texas and Strong did it three years in a row.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

First almost is different than actual.  Second Kansas was a pretty solid team and Mangino would take them to the Orange Bowl a few years later.  So let's not pretend that there is any comparison to 2016 KU which would never have won a single conference game if not for Strong's incompetence..  You've even had to descend to the old soap opera device, the evil twin to even begin to make a case that Mack Brown is in the same universe as Charlie Strong as a terrible coach.  Mack's worst year was better than anything Charlie produced at Texas and Strong did it three years in a row.

A few years later? You mean with an entirely different team?

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Look, if you ignore who won more football games than the other, then you can make a very convincing argument that Charlie Strong was a better football coach than Mack Brown.  That’s all anyone is trying to say here.  

what separates Mack Brown from Charlie Strong? Mack won a national championship, two conference championships, two additional BCS bowls, and ten games a bunch of times.

But, we barely beat USC. You could say we almost didn't beat them. So should that national title really count for purposes of comparison, no.

The two conference titles, we barely beat Nebraska in 2009. So should that one count, no. And if you don't count the one why count either of them.

The two other BCS bowls besides 2005, well, Dusty Mangum's kick almost didn't get over the crossbar because it was partially blocked and then we needed a long TD drive and a last-second catch by Quan Cosby to beat Ohio State, we barely got those done. That's almost like we didn't win them at all. 

The ten wins, which everyone knows Charlie Strong could have done if he'd been the coach, almost didn't happen. Go through each season schedule and look at it, there were plenty of games we won that really could have been losses. So does it matter that Mack won ten games nine times, of course not, because he almost didn't do it each time.

Mack Brown was easily the worst coach to ever win all the stuff he won. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I mean, what if that whistle had gone the other way. Then Mack Brown would have LOST TO FUCKING KANSAS, before the brief Mangino-sance they enjoyed. Would Mack have been fired had that call gone the other way?

You talking about our 2004 team that lost one game and finished #4 in the country?

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I believe two things:

1. There were two Macks. One was the second-best coach Texas ever had, and the other was the worst coach Texas ever had.

2. Charlie was not the worst coach Texas ever had, because late Mack was the worst coach Texas ever had. 

I swear to God and his sonny boy Jesus, some people truly are too stupid to insult.

The only way you cannot say that Coach Potato was the worst coach in the history of Texas football is if you remove every fact, statistic, logic, objective reason, comparative analysis, and/or intuitive reasoning from the equation.

• Like 2

Mack had one season where he had a losing record and didn't make a bowl.  He was still winning 8 games and going bowling when he stepped down.  Strong only made it to a bowl once and it was one of our most embarrassing bowl losses of all time to a former rival.

There is no comparison.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:44 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

CS-MYTH-SOCIETY.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Late era Mack didn't experience 3 consecutive losing seasons, get smeared by an abysmal Arkansas team being held to 2 yards rushing in the process or lose to a fucking Kansas team that hadn't beaten a Power 5 team in an eternity. Mack's only losing season stemmed from GG being a colossal flop and one of the biggest recruiting misses with no legitimate backup plan. Anyone claiming late era Mack was worse than Charlie is likely missing some chromosomes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I believe two things:

No. Mack Brown had a single, uninterrupted career at Texas. All the accomplishments and disappointments are his. You can't arbitrarily divide his tenure into two parts and pretend that they were separate entities. He coached at Texas for 16 consecutive seasons and compiled a record of 158-48. Charlie Strong coached at Texas for 3 consecutive years and went 16-21. 

• Like 4

On 7/28/2019 at 12:44 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

1. As for QBs, he (Strong) tried and failed to get Wittek, and that was because a) Wittek's fault; and we should have been relieved because,  b) Wittek sucked anyway. .

Do you deny that?

CHARLIE-STRONG.jpg   

• Like 3

The decline of Texas Football under Mack Brown was not due to him being a shitty coach. It was due to him being lazy, arrogant, and entitled. A shitty human being, maybe, but not a shitty coach.  Charlie was a shitty coach, and possibly a shitty human being. 

• Like 1

Alright y'all. I am sold. Mack really did hand Charlie the keys to a pristine new Escalade and Charlie drove it straight a ditch. It was all as seamless a transition as the Stoops-Riley deal.  Mack was not presiding over a program that had ceased pumping out NFL talent consistently. He was still recruiting Heisman-level QBs. He helped his successor with recruiting on the way out the door. No telling what great, supportive things he was saying about his successor to his powerful friends behind the scenes. In any event, he did everything he could to leave a behind a healthy football program! That's for sure!

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Alright y'all. I am sold. Mack really did hand Charlie the keys to a pristine new Escalade and Charlie drove it straight a ditch. It was all as seamless a transition as the Stoops-Riley deal.  Mack was not presiding over a program that had ceased pumping out NFL talent consistently. He was still recruiting Heisman-level QBs. He helped his successor with recruiting on the way out the door. No telling what great, supportive things he was saying about his successor to his powerful friends behind the scenes. In any event, he did everything he could to leave a behind a healthy football program! That's for sure!

Nobody said any of that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

The decline of Texas Football under Mack Brown was not due to him being a shitty coach. It was due to him being lazy, arrogant, and entitled. A shitty human being, maybe, but not a shitty coach.  Charlie was a shitty coach, and possibly a shitty human being. 

I disagree, he was trying to be too nice by keeping his DC that killed him. The dude could coach defense (Florida), but he couldn't fire his buddy Vance until it was too late. 

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You fashion yourself as intelligent, yet you turn to the basest levels of rhetorical trash when subject matter doesn’t go your way. Rather than simply being a decent enough poster to admit defeat and slink off until the next absurd hill pops up upon which you choose to die, you resort to this kind of tripe. You are a fucking eunuch. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Nobody said any of that. 

I didn't say anybody did. I am just presenting some background supporting my contention that evil Mack (yes, I believe you can bifurcate him) was truly the worst coach in Texas history. You want to put Charlie in the bottom 3, alongside Evil Mack and Price? Be my guest. The on-field record supports that. But in the end college football is about 90 percent players and 10 percent coaching, and Charlie brought players back to the program, and now Herman is getting to benefit from that and recruit from that foundation, getting to redshirt his own studs without having to throw them in the fire. 

Again, I am not exalting Charlie as a messiah. I have said we should think of him as a palate-cleanser. We are now on to the next course, and it's looking more like chateaubriand than shit on a shingle thanks in large part to the players Strong brought in that Herman gets to use. 

(I swear I think sometimes that if Mack was still on the 40, he'd have found some way to make a gooner out of even Sam Ehlinger, while Mack handed the offense over to somebody connected to one of his golf buddies. That is how bad things had gotten, and they were trending toward the worse.)

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You fashion yourself as intelligent, yet you turn to the basest levels of rhetorical trash when subject matter doesn’t go your way. Rather than simply being a decent enough poster to admit defeat and slink off until the next absurd hill pops up upon which you choose to die, you resort to this kind of tripe. You are a fucking eunuch. 

And you support this position of years with nothing more than a viciously worded ad hominem attack?

That mother fucker lost to Kansas and declined a penalty that would have given Texas a first down. Not to mention not knowing the name of his own QB and espousing "core values" while taking every poor mental evaluation he could find in recruiting. 

He is a semi-functioning retard and I cannot believe someone still defends him. 

• Like 1

Y'all have to admit that Charlie's teams snuck up and took down a few teams they shouldn't have.

When was the last time any of Mack's teams did that? Other than Herp-a-derp vs OU, one in which Scipio Tex openly called the only gameplan that would work leading up to the showdown? And Stoops ratfucked himself (weirdly) by not making simple adjustments to that gameplan?

To reiterate, when was the last time a Mack Brown team pleasantly surprised you in a win? Contrast that with how many times he took gigantic talent advantages and pissed them away.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1