Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

“Brown was typically a pretty good close-gamcoach at UT”

I’ll always maintain that this was FUPM’s most remarkable trait. Someday, I’ll look at every game and figure out how many he won on the “last possession” vs how many he lost. It has to be 5:1 while at Texas, and most of those were quality wins. 

Just throwing out there, show me another coach that had as many meaningful game-winning FGs as Mack did-- we beat A&M in 98, Michigan in the 05 Rose Bowl, Nebraska in 2006, Okie State in 2007, Nebraska in the Big12 CG in 09, A&M in 2011... that's just off the top of my head and that is one hell of a list. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm sorry, but while this is egregious for any college football coach, it is especially so for Mr. Fucking February who made his bones on the recruiting trail. It's the one thing that he actually did at a level higher than almost all of his peers, and he just decided to mail it in at the end. The hubris on this guy. It's no wonder our talent level went into the shitter. That lazy fuck drove this program into the ground because of 'all that winning he did' and then he got a $9.95 subscription and decided watching hudl videos was enough to keep this program at a championship level. As soon as he got high speed internet in his casita, we were done. In the meantime, Saban is crawling up every blue chipper in the country's ass with a microscope to figure out what makes them tick and we whiffed on a gaggle of Heisman trophy and first round draft choice quarterbacks in our backyard. Disgusting.

yada yada newsletter

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm sorry, but while this is egregious for any college football coach, it is especially so for Mr. Fucking February who made his bones on the recruiting trail. It's the one thing that he actually did at a level higher than almost all of his peers, and he just decided to mail it in at the end.

In the end = 2005 to 2013 for Mack. That's almost a decade that he put no effort into recruiting. I don't really consider that "in the end."

Ask Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel how Mack Brown was recruiting in 2007 and 2010 respectively.

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ll always maintain that this was FUPM’s most remarkable trait. Someday, I’ll look at every game and figure out how many he won on the “last possession” vs how many he lost. It has to be 5:1 while at Texas, and most of those were quality wins. 

i remember thinking this back in the day.  we were the team that always won on the last second field goal.  i had never rooted for a team like that in any sport.

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

i remember thinking this back in the day.  we were the team that always won on the last second field goal.  i had never rooted for a team like that in any sport.

Easy to keep the score close for the last minute win when you're running a Greg Davis offense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

we never missed a "game winning" late 4th quarter kick that i can recall.  given what a crapshoot college kicking it was truly crazy.

He was pretty damn good at clock mgmt also.

he got lazy on recruiting, specifically at QB/OL, and it was all downhill from there.  he probably could have ridden it out to the finish line, if he hadn't tried to force the O to change, but once Baylor, TCU, OSU started kicking his ass it was over.

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we never missed a "game winning" late 4th quarter kick that i can recall.  given what a crapshoot college kicking it was truly crazy.

he got lazy on recruiting, specifically at QB/OL, and it was all downhill from there.  he probably could have ridden it out to the finish line, if he hadn't tried to force the O to change, but once Baylor, TCU, OSU started kicking his ass it was over.

Tech says thanks for the 1:23

11 minutes ago, TBD said:

Tech says thanks for the 1:23

yeah I'm gonna blame our KO team and Brown's survive the surge mentality for that one.  we needed a TD.  you get it when you can get it.  McCoy could have decided not to run out of bounds though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Just throwing out there, show me another coach that had as many meaningful game-winning FGs as Mack did-- we beat A&M in 98, Michigan in the 05 Rose Bowl, Nebraska in 2006, Okie State in 2007, Nebraska in the Big12 CG in 09, A&M in 2011... that's just off the top of my head and that is one hell of a list. 

Besides those, USC in the Rose Bowl and tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl.  Even his biggest last possession loss (TT in Lubbock) would have been a win if he and Colt had managed the clock better.  Start running that play clock down to 4 or 5 seconds after we cross midfield and Tech gets the ball with less time than the :19 USC had in 2006.

Last possession wins (not including victory formation wins):

1998 - OSU and NU and A&M

1999 - NU and ISU* and Rice* (late loss to NC State was on a blocked punt return)

2000 - 

2001 - Washington

2002 - KSU (but a loss to Tech)

2003 - KSU and Tech

2004 - KU (BC$ limp mic game) and Michigan

2005 - tOSU and USC

2006 - NU  (I thought the Tech game was one, but the winning score was early in the 4th Q)

2007 - OSU

2008 - Tech loss...ugh and tOSU

2009 - NU  (the OU win was another one my selective memory forgot was early in the 4th Q)

2010 - 

2011 - BYU (middle of the 4th, but I'm writing the rules on this one) and A&M

2012 - OSU and KU* and Oregon State

2013 - ISU and WVU (late FG to tie, then won in OT)

*lulz

That's 24 wins and 3 losses, if I'm doing this right.  It's late, but I think that is better than the 5:1 ratio I predicted earlier.  FUPM may have mailed it in his last 7-8 years, but he did one thing right from start to finish.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2

I get irrationally angry when I hear that fucker talk
I get that, but still watched that thing. He seems to have lost his passive/aggressive defensiveness he had during his last years on the 40..much more relaxed at NC.

At least now we don't have to hear him calling games, doing pre-game shows and endlessly repetitive commercials on LHN.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

He seems to have lost his passive/aggressive defensiveness he had during his last years on the 40..much more relaxed at NC

Wait 'til he gets bent over by first Will and then Manny to start the season. Reckon you'll see some passive-aggressive behavior of epic proportions.

35 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Wait 'til he gets bent over by first Will and then Manny to start the season. Reckon you'll see some passive-aggressive behavior of epic proportions.

The expectations at UNC are lower than he tried to manage them to be at Texas.. so much so that he'll make multiple butt rapes look golly gee shucks consensual in his press conferences for a while.  I'm guessing we'll see snippy, stare-down-the-reporter, thin skinned Mack after Clemson and others have been pushing his shit in for a while.  I'm guessing year three. 

On 4/25/2019 at 11:29 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm sorry, but while this is egregious for any college football coach, it is especially so for Mr. Fucking February who made his bones on the recruiting trail. It's the one thing that he actually did at a level higher than almost all of his peers, and he just decided to mail it in at the end. The hubris on this guy. It's no wonder our talent level went into the shitter. That lazy fuck drove this program into the ground because of 'all that winning he did' and then he got a $9.95 subscription and decided watching hudl videos was enough to keep this program at a championship level. As soon as he got high speed internet in his casita, we were done. In the meantime, Saban is crawling up every blue chipper in the country's ass with a microscope to figure out what makes them tick and we whiffed on a gaggle of Heisman trophy and first round draft choice quarterbacks in our backyard. Disgusting.

Give him a little bit of credit. He was dealing with the death of his Mom around that time, among other things. There was some bad shit in his personal life.

Granted, for a seven-figure salary, you gotta deal with that shit sometimes.

26 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Give him a little bit of credit. He was dealing with the death of his Mom around that time, among other things. There was some bad shit in his personal life.

Granted, for a seven-figure salary, you gotta deal with that shit sometimes.

How many years was he dealing with the death of his mother? Probably half of us have lost a parent. My wife and I have lost all four.  

So much hate for Mack. He wasn’t perfect. He got beat too much and too badly by OU. He mailed it in after 2009. But he brought Texas back to being a top program. He had skills. Believe it or not, it is not completely inconceivable that he could have them in the playoff before Texas. Likely, no. Possible, yes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So much hate for Mack. He wasn’t perfect. He got beat too much and too badly by OU. He mailed it in after 2009. But he brought Texas back to being a top program. He had skills. Believe it or not, it is not completely inconceivable that he could have them in the playoff before Texas. Likely, no. Possible, yes.

Then he trashed it again. Then he tried to deep-six the recruiting program on his way out the door.

Fuck. Mack. Brown.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Sounds like FYPM MBTF is still waiting for the testicle transplant to come through...

I'm waiting to hear from the surgeon how much wear and tear came from Mack's killing himself on the recruiting trail

Basically, none of it. Mostly due to his habit of falling on his knees for Bob Stoops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Doesn’t make him genuine.

It wasn’t a direct response to the “genuine or not” discussion. Just a random thought. I always quote my direct responses to avoid this confusion as best as possible.

Edited by GotThatFire

On 5/24/2019 at 6:14 AM, Dbeasy said:

This is pretty much my thoughts. People say he sucked then compare his later teams to his CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM/BCS BOWL TEAMS. Every great coach typically mails it in at some point or gets to complacent followed by bitterness. Landry was terrible his last few years of coaching. Jimmy Johnson didn't win anything in Miami. Bobby Bowden hung on to long. Carr at Michigan was long overdue. Don Shula didn't get a whole lot done the last 9 years of his coaching career. The list can go on and on.