Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fedora huh...... previous connections with anyone on Texas Staff??

He and Herman were both finalists for the 2015 Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award, and both attended the ceremony. So maybe they met there and developed some kind of friendship?

On 2/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

So other than 2008 what were the other two times Mack should have appeared in the MNC game?

2006 if VY didn’t go pro and either 2001 or 2004 if not for those pesky Sooners. If if if....

Or perhaps one of his UNC teams if not for those pesky Seminoles. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fedora huh...... previous connections with anyone on Texas Staff??

Still wondering what David Beaty might end up doing??

Innovation makes progress by exposing yourself to new ideas so lack of connection may be a good thing.  

55 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

2006 if VY didn’t go pro and either 2001 or 2004 if not for those pesky Sooners. If if if....

Basically, 2008 is the only real shoulda been there. Losing to your rival or CCG to keep yourself out of the MNC isn’t a shoulda. It’s just coming up short. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

those UNC teams lost so pathetically to FSU in both 1996 and 1997 that I just don't think you can say "shoulda"-- three points in two years, and less than three hundred yards of total offense combined. less than a hundred in the big Showdown Saturday game in 1997. 

the OC in both games? Mr. Greg Davis

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

those UNC teams lost so pathetically to FSU in both 1996 and 1997 that I just don't think you can say "shoulda"-- three points in two years, and less than three hundred yards of total offense combined. less than a hundred in the big Showdown Saturday game in 1997. 

the OC in both games? Mr. Greg Davis

I was dead serious with that comment. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Pretty good article on Mack's second act at UNC.  He comes close to acknowledging his complacency during his last few years at Texas, though he still probably won't admit just how lazy and behind the eight ball he had become. 

“What happened at Texas” is a pretty broad phrase that includes nine consecutive double-digit win seasons, two Big 12 titles and a national title. But what Brewster refers to is the end, those four seasons following the run to the BCS title game in 2009 when Brown seemed to lose his fastball. The Longhorns couldn’t find a quality quarterback, yet other Lone Star State QBs (Andrew Luck, Todd Reesing, Case Keenum, Ryan Tannehill, Robert Griffin III, Johnny Manziel) became stars elsewhere. Brown tinkered with the offense, but everyone else seemed a step ahead. Brown went 30–21 in those last four seasons. That would wind up being better than the guy who replaced him (Charlie Strong), but it wasn’t good enough for the program former athletic director DeLoss Dodds once referred to as “the Joneses”—as in the people one attempts to keep up with.

Brown has gone over all the failures of his last few years at Texas in his head. There was the decision to make defensive coordinator Will Muschamp the Longhorns’ head-coach-in-waiting, which accomplished the goal of getting the sought-after Muschamp a bigger paycheck but also sent a signal that Brown was ready to hang it up when he wasn’t. There were the offensive issues when Texas seemed stuck in slow motion as the rest of the Big 12 moved to light speed.

Working at ESPN and quizzing coaches from around the country about what they do and why, Brown realized he hadn’t been learning as much as he should have in those final years at Texas. “I learned more in my five years than I probably did in the other 37,” Brown says. “When you’re the head coach and you do what you do and you’re winning enough and you never have anybody leave, you never go visit anywhere else. If you’re not careful, you don’t get new ideas. I got new ideas for five years.”

SI.com: Back in Carolina Blue, Mack Brown Is Rebooting UNC With Something Old and Something New

I still hold him accountable for much of the mediocre to downright awful seasons since 2009 (Steve Patterson and Charlie Strong certainly share a big part of the blame), but I'm also rooting for him to succeed at Carolina. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Pretty good article on Mack's second act at UNC.  He comes close to acknowledging his complacency during his last few years at Texas, though he still probably won't admit just how lazy and behind the eight ball he had become. 

SI.com: Back in Carolina Blue, Mack Brown Is Rebooting UNC With Something Old and Something New

I still hold him accountable for much of the mediocre to downright awful seasons since 2009 (Steve Patterson and Charlie Strong certainly share a big part of the blame), but I'm also rooting for him to succeed at Carolina. 

I am very curious if he can go 11-1 year-in/year-out in the ACC while losing to the same team each year, just like he did here and in his first stint at UNC.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I am very curious if he can go 11-1 year-in/year-out in the ACC while losing to the same team each year, just like he did here and in his first stint at UNC.  

He could do that at UNC and have ironclad job security.  But I don't think he will.  He probably has a couple more 10-win seasons up his sleeve, but I seriously doubt he'll have the level of sustained success at Carolina like he did at Texas from 1998-2009.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Swinney will become his new Bowden and Stoops. If Mack remained at UNC for let's say 6 years I'd be shocked if he managed to defeated Dabo once as I don't see Clemson tapering off anytime soon. The ACC is very top heavy so I don't see why Mack couldn't win at least 9 or more regular season games a year if he recruits fairly well.

9 minutes ago, Chad said:

If Mack remained at UNC for let's say 6 years I'd be shocked if he managed to defeated Dabo once as I don't see Clemson tapering off anytime soon.

Oh he'll probably get him once, but then they'll drop games to NC State and Florida State and end up looking up at Miami in the divisional standings. So close!

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Even in that article, the motherfucker uses the term "winning enough". In the words of the virgin Mary, come again? Fuck you, Clappy Clap. There is never enough winning. You've not learned a motherfucking thing in your 5 years of flashing your butterteeth at us from behind a desk during the halftime show. 

I am cheering for Carolina to win because I want pressure to be put on the other schools recruiting in the same terrain. That is all. Fuck Mack Brown for how he handled the program once he got on top in 2005. He parlayed that amazing title into sloth, mediocrity, groupthink, and entitlement. I will be entertained by his verbal bullshit, whining, and self-talk. I will be entertained by his certain and continued failures against Clemson. I will be entertained by watching Carolina put top 10-15 recruiting classes together while taking a guy that Clemson wanted and a guy that Georgia wanted and a guy that Tennessee wanted and so on and so forth. But I will not be cheering for that son of a bitch in the process. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Oh he'll probably get him once, but then they'll drop games to NC State and Florida State and end up looking up at Miami in the divisional standings. So close!

The premise that Mack Brown beats a Swinney coached Clemson during our lifetimes is laughable. Swinney even has a nemesis for Brown on his staff in the form of Venables. Mack Brown was designed by God himself to create a program that can get near the top but never get over the hump against a neighboring power. He needs to wake up every day thanking God for Vince Young and Tim Brewster, otherwise he'd be viewed as the fucking fraudster he is. Swinney is doing what Mack Brown should have done after winning in 2005 - he's putting his throat on all of his enemies and signing talent that will make Nick Saban envious. This 2020 class might wind up being the best ever signed, at least on paper, by anyone ever.