Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

1 minute ago, Texas25 said:

I can see a bunch of 8-4/7-5 North Carolina teams facing a bunch of a 8-4/7-5 aggy teams in bowl games in the coming years

You dumb sip. Did you not watch the best game ever last week against LSU? Aggy put the SEC on notice. They are going to be a playoff team for the next decade.

21 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Looks like Mack’s plan is this:
Assemble the staff he had at Texas
Win
Rub our noses in it and say “see, you should never have fired me”.

Oh come on, that would assume that he's a thin-skinned vindictive...oh. Never mind. 

Edited by Txzen

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

All that money on facilities and they can't afford to get Mack a computer?

Um - do you think Mack was on a computer when Vince Young ran for 200 yards against USC?

I didn't think so. Mack ain't come there to play school.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

One win away from being UNCs winningest coach of all time.  If he goes to a bowl next season he's gone.  

No. He will have to be run out on a rail. You have short memory or haven't been around over the last 6 years or so.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

If Graham Harrell was offered the OC job at UNC... and in the ACC, if they were able to bring in players to run that offense in that candy ass (except for Clumpson) conference where it would absolutely wreck shop... and he chose to stay at (C)UNT... fuck him and his dumb ass thinking.

Implement the offense, Mack brings players in to fit the system, the program improves ... Mack retires in 3 years and he steps in as HC..

And he stays in Denton where the STD rate amongst women is second only to Tech... then he is too stupid to insult.

UNC Secures Commitment from Elite Punter

North Carolina has its punter of the future. While officially visiting UNC this past weekend, Ben Kiernan verbally committed to the Heels.

"I'm very thankful to say that I am 110% committed to the University of North Carolina on a full ride," Kiernan wrote on his personal Twitter page. "I would like to thank my trainer, Dan Orner, for helping me become the punter I am and helping me get here, Coach [Mack] Brown and Coach [Jason] Tudryn and all the coaches at UNC for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime. And most of all I'd like to thank my family for supporting me and helping me become the man I am today. My name is Ben Kiernan and I am a Tar Heel."

Kiernan, a 6-foot, 205-pounder from Raleigh (N.C.) Wakefield, has always been high on UNC but it wasn't until recently that that Heels offered him a scholarship.

Nebraska had also offered Kiernan a scholarship.  According to kicking guru Chris Sailer, Kiernan is the 12th best punter in the nation. Kiernan finished his final season of high school ball with a 45.75-yard punting average and placed 23 of his 39 punts inside the 20. As a junior on a win-less Wakefield squad a year ago, he averaged 43.7 yards a punt with a long of 75 yards.

Mack already working on Special Teams at UNC.....

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Found this on Jay Bateman in a recent SI article... 

Talk to enough defensive coordinators and you’ll notice that many refer to their units as some kind of overmatched rebel outfit. Appropriately, one of the most resourceful defensive generals works at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Jay Bateman stunned the college football world in September when his game plan helped Army take then No. 5 Oklahoma to overtime, despite an overwhelming disadvantage in personnel. But to those in the know, Bateman’s prowess as a defensive coordinator was old news. Last offseason a parade of coaches traveled up the Hudson River to study the 

Black Knights’ tactics.

Bateman’s philosophy, like Johansen’s at Grand View, requires the mastery of only a few simple concepts. Those are then folded into the weekly game plan and adjusted after input from players. Film cut-ups are texted to each cadet’s phone on Monday, with the requirement that he reply to Bateman with two unique observations.

The one constant week-to-week: “Everyone is a blitzer,” says Bateman. “A kid is a defensive end—well, now he’s a linebacker, or a strong safety. How does a quarterback declare him? [Their offense will] start blocking guys that aren’t even rushing, and not block guys who are.” From this, Army employs six different blitzes, but Bateman runs them out of dozens of personnel packages, which he says forces offensive coordinators to spend twice the normal time in preparation.

Bateman says the biggest concern he’s heard from visiting NFL coaches about this kind of multiplicity is that it requires immense brain power from the safeties in charge of lining everyone up and from the corners memorizing the coverages. Bateman’s solution is to have his defense operate as a collection of grouped special forces. They use one-word calls, the first letter of which pertains to a specific position group, alerting players as to who is blitzing. Linebackers, for example, might be assigned an S-word—so if the call is “spider,” linebackers are going after the QB. The other groups know what coverage or technique to play when the linebackers blitz.

Players then have all week in practice to work on just a few moves, or techniques relevant to the upcoming game plan. The nosetackle, for example, might be told: Center kill, gap control, cross left and cross right; and he’ll have all week to focus on those instructions. The result? An amorphous defense with the most realistic chance to match the targeted explosiveness of modern offenses. Defensive backs with their hands in the dirt. Linemen floating in coverage, scattering the quarterback’s progression.

“The days of a defensive player dropping back into a spot, the quarterback throwing it and [the defender] breaking on the ball are over,” says Bateman. “If one of my guys draws up something like that, I tell him, We ain’t doing that.

• Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo