Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

On 12/19/2018 at 9:43 PM, UTDD said:

Yeah ok, UNC of all places to mention answers to tests...

What was the deal with Brewster leaving the 40? I've just heard whispers and rumors, but I do know our recruiting fell off a cliff after he left, and that he then failed hard at Minnesota.

I'm glad he's in another region now and Jimbo's gonna have to work that much harder now. And this UNC "puttin' the band back together" deal is one of my favorite sideshows right now. Looks like it'll be Clemson that'll be punking him yearly now instead of the 'Noles, but yeah, I think he can them back up to 8-10 wins yearly. If and only if he has regained some of the mojo he had ten years ago. Maybe Sally has told him "no cookies for you" until you rack up another double-digit season. He seems to have had some kind of fire lit under his ass. 

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

What was the deal with Brewster leaving the 40? I've just heard whispers and rumors, but I do know our recruiting fell off a cliff after he left, and that he then failed hard at Minnesota.

I'm glad he's in another region now and Jimbo's gonna have to work that much harder now. And this UNC "puttin' the band back together" deal is one of my favorite sideshows right now. Looks like it'll be Clemson that'll be punking him yearly now instead of the 'Noles, but yeah, I think he can them back up to 8-10 wins yearly. If and only if he has regained some of the mojo he had ten years ago. Maybe Sally has told him "no cookies for you" until you rack up another double-digit season. He seems to have had some kind of fire lit under his ass. 

Maybe he just looks at the shit show known as the ACC and realizes he can be the 2nd best team overnight 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Maybe he just looks at the shit show known as the ACC and realizes he can be the 2nd best team overnight 

I don't think the Coastal Division looks very daunting to try and do a turnaround.  Jimbo has the SEC West in comparison so it's a huge difference for sure.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:29 AM, Cajun said:

Pssst, Mack, Vince Young ain't walkin' through that door baby.

Well, yeah. But outside of Clemson, who is he going to be coaching against? We should all be glad he's gone, but the ACC sucks so bad, it's unrealistic to think he'll do anything other than be successful (modestly by Texas standards, but overwhelmingly by North Carolina standards).

On 12/20/2018 at 7:26 AM, Post Oak said:

The old inane babble.  I don't miss it one bit 

yep. it works like crazy with 18 year olds though.  love what he did for aabout 12 years but, like you, I don't miss the stupid shit.  Herman can coachspeak like a MFer but it isn't dumb shit like this.

He'll do fine at first, until he puts his feet up on the handle bars.

Ain't gonna take a Natty at NC for him to get to that point.  Tale of two Macks.

Mack ain't gonna beat Dabo on the field, but I'll bet he'll teach him a thing or two in the "aw shucks, golly gee whiz" department.  MB may have to layer in a little Jesus though.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

Mack going back to UNC reminds me of the old coaching adage:   Never go back to a place where you were once successful.

This has Johnny Majors(Pitt) -John Robinson(USC) written all over it   With that said, Mack getting Tim Brewster out of aggyland helps us tremendously. :)

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN article on Recruiting:

Mack Brown, North Carolina

Similar to Miles, Brown had been out of coaching when North Carolina hired him Nov. 27. This is the second stint at the university for Brown, who had been out of coaching since 2013.

To adults, that might not seem like a long time, but 2019 football recruits were anywhere from 10 and 12 years old when Brown was last in coaching with Texas. Their recollection, or the lack thereof, of Brown could have an impact on how he and his staff recruit.

Brown is known for being an excellent relationship builder, though, and anyone who spends time around him raves about how genuine he is. That personality and charisma have already helped him with the 2019 class.

When Brown took over in November, North Carolina was ranked outside the top 40 of the class rankings. In the few weeks after he was hired, Brown and his staff lost six commitments but currently have 22 total commitments, 19 of which are signed.

That included flipping ESPN 300 quarterback Sam Howell from Florida State, and landing ESPN 300 wide receiver Khafre Brown. As of now, North Carolina is ranked 38th overall, and Brown and his staff have a great first class on which to build.

The coaches have been able to move forward to the 2020 class, landing ESPN Junior 300 safety Cameron Roseman-Sinclair and running back Elijah Burris, but they will need to pick things up to get a jump-start to spring recruiting.

For being out of coaching for nearly six years, Brown and the staff he assembled have done an excellent job recruiting in the short time they have been at North Carolina.

• Like 1

Mack should begin to turn around UNC in his first season and that coastal division is ripe for the picking. He's never going to compete with Dabo, but I could see UNC winning 8-9 games consistently under Mack after being cruddy for several seasons. I'm hoping UNC and the aggy meet up in the Music City bowl, that would be some lulz right there. Mack did own the aggy while he coached at Texas to the tune of a 10-4 record only once losing consecutive games to the gomers.

26 minutes ago, Chad said:

Mack should begin to turn around UNC in his first season and that coastal division is ripe for the picking. He's never going to compete with Dabo, but I could see UNC winning 8-9 games consistently under Mack after being cruddy for several seasons. I'm hoping UNC and the aggy meet up in the Music City bowl, that would be some lulz right there. Mack did own the aggy while he coached at Texas to the tune of a 10-4 record only once losing consecutive games to the gomers.

Dabo can just be Mack's Bobby Bowden 2.0.  The more things change...

• Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo