Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And you support this position of years with nothing more than a viciously worded ad hominem attack?

There’s plenty of hominem to work with, dipshit. Your problem is actually pretty simple. This is all political and religious to you and logic and reason have no place in the discussion for you.

Regardless, if you can’t keep the Chollie bullshit confined to Chollie threads, I think your posts should start getting negged and reported. You’re yet again taking a Charley-sized dump on an unrelated thread. 

• Like 1

6-7, 5-7, 5-7, Kansas, dominated by 6-6 Arkansas, etc. If you continue to dig a deeper hole and defend that heaping pile of shit then you're either trolling or your IQ is in the lower double digits. Charlie put the 2 in 2-10 and TCU put the fucks to Charlie's teams every year in a manner Stoops did to Mack in the early 2000s. How can anyone defend coach potato at this point? It just blows my mind.

Edited by Chad

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Y'all have to admit that Charlie's teams snuck up and took down a few teams they shouldn't have.

When was the last time any of Mack's teams did that? Other than Herp-a-derp vs OU, one in which Scipio Tex openly called the only gameplan that would work leading up to the showdown? And Stoops ratfucked himself (weirdly) by not making simple adjustments to that gameplan?

To reiterate, when was the last time a Mack Brown team pleasantly surprised you in a win? Contrast that with how many times he took gigantic talent advantages and pissed them away.

So he gets credit for lowering expectations then tripping over them once or twice? 

Mack has spent his entire life trying to prove to his Dad that he's better than his brother. And failing. He was all set to hoist a second Crystal Ball, turn over the reins to Boom, and move into Deloss' place to guide Boom and the Horns to ever greater heights, and... you know the rest, and here we are.

Instead of agonizing debates over the merits, it behooves us to take the path of the Blessed Saint Darrell and say "Don't talk to me about woulda-shoulda-coulda. What shoulda happened, did happen."

Oh, and in case you forgot...

Fuck. Mack. Brown.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

But in the end college football is about 90 percent players and 10 percent coaching, and Charlie brought players back to the program, and now Herman is getting to benefit from that and recruit from that foundation, getting to redshirt his own studs without having to throw them in the fire. 

Nuclear-Charlie-Strong.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 2

For those who need a reminder, almost is just a special case of NOT

NOT losing to Kansas in the context of a team that otherwise had a great season is generally a poor comparison for LOSING to Kansas as part of an otherwise craptastic season. It is very aggy to play the, "assume every other part of the past doesn't change, but switch this one variable in a way that helps my argument, and voila!" game. Mack was mailing it in at the end, but using 2004 as a mitigating factor for 2016 scores zero points with me.

42 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

To reiterate, when was the last time a Mack Brown team pleasantly surprised you in a win? Contrast that with how many times he took gigantic talent advantages and pissed them away.

I'm confused....did he piss away large talent advantages or leave the cupboard bare?  Let's stick to one narrative here.

Mack left the program in worse shape than it was from 2004-2009.  He got lazy, entitled, forgot how to evaluate talent, whatever you want to call it. Nobody argues that.

The program regressed further under Charlie.  Make up any reason you want, Mack's last two teams beat Strong's third and final team.  Without Foreman crushing it in 2016, Charlie possibly has a worse record than Kansas.  In year 3.  Other than beating OU once, I'm struggling to think of all these surprise wins under Charlie.

I didn't know this was the talk about who was the worst Texas coach thread. Don't we have one of those already? If not I'm happy to split off the last page of trash into its own thread.

This thread is about Mack Brown and NC Tarheels, speculating how he's going to perform there and using anecdotes from his prior jobs including Texas is appropriate, but derailing it into talking exclusively or comparing his performance to other Texas head coaches is irrelevant for this thread. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Well Mack is in a pretty easy to win division.

The conference sucks other then Clempson.

My guess is that he will get them to be the high ranked whipping boy for the ACC title game every year.

Yeesh! I hadn't realized it was that bad. Pitt at 7-6 (6-2) was in sole possession of first place of the Coastal Division. And UNC beat them last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And you support this position of years with nothing more than a viciously worded ad hominem attack?

You are trying to make people choose between a pile of shit and a bucket of diarrhea. Both were terrible. Mack was good and bad here. Charlie was just bad.

Now stahp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I didn't know this was the talk about who was the worst Texas coach thread. Don't we have one of those already? If not I'm happy to split off the last page of trash into its own thread.

This thread is about Mack Brown and NC Tarheels, speculating how he's going to perform there and using anecdotes from his prior jobs including Texas is appropriate, but derailing it into talking exclusively or comparing his performance to other Texas head coaches is irrelevant for this thread. 

Another suggestion might be creating a "I'd Let Charlie Strong Fuck My Wife And Daughters" thread make so that's the only surly thread where MaybeACoordinator can post. I'm just spit-balling here. 

College football programs are like rivers and you can't assess a river without thinking of what went down upstream. Evil Mack was upstream of Charlie. Y'all expected him to just turn that shit around in one year, two years, three years? That tsunami of toxic sludge? Wasn't gonna happen. Couldn't happen. Because of like, gravity, inertia, shit like that. Mack fucked this program so, so fucking hard. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Actually, he attacked the rhetorical gambit before he attacked you personally. And it's funny how easily people hide behind an accusation of an attack being ad hominem -- frequently, the ad hominem attack is actually valid. Like here, where you're being a twat-waffle, an ad hominem attack actually makes the most sense.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, he attacked the rhetorical gambit before he attacked you personally. And it's funny how easily people hide behind an accusation of an attack being ad hominem -- frequently, the ad hominem attack is actually valid. Like here, where you're being a twat-waffle, an ad hominem attack actually makes the most sense.

Eh, fuck you. None of y'all have addressed my main contention way back when, which is that Charlie left behind a shit-ton of NFL talent, which is more than can be said of what he came into. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Eh, fuck you. None of y'all have addressed my main contention way back when, which is that Charlie left behind a shit-ton of NFL talent, which is more than can be said of what he came into. 

Actually, I did address that. I pointed out that this simply means he was even worse than he appeared. If he had all that talent on hand, why was he so obviously unable to win jack diddly squat with it? Because he was the worst coach in Texas history, that's why. And the evidence bears it out. The fact that you keep repeating yourself doesn't mean that nobody answered you, it means you're a twat-waffle.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, back to the narcissist in the thread title:

Mack Brown looks to revitalize North Carolina, beat Clemson and mentee Dabo Swinney

HARLOTTE — Before Clemson football was a national powerhouse, before the Tigers twice beat Alabama in the national championship game, before Clemson became Clemson and head coach Dabo Swinney became Dabo Swinney, Swinney and his staff paid Mack Brown a visit.

It was 2009, and Swinney was set to enter his first season as Clemson’s head man after taking over for Tommy Bowden on an interim basis the year prior. He had been put in touch with Brown through a pair of mutual friends, and he was hungry for knowledge. Hungry to build a winner. Hungry to build a program like the one Brown had constructed at Texas, which won the 2005 BCS national championship. 

Swinney and his staff visited Brown for three or four days, studying and observing. Soon Clemson was atop the sport, relegating the Longhorns — and the rest of the nation — to playing catch up.

Lots of fluff, but the closing is awfully familiar to those of us who remember Mack slobbering on Bob Stoops' knob:

The Tar Heels present a challenge for Brown, who said Thursday he loves fixing things. And he relishes the opportunity to compete against Clemson, which he referred to as “the best team in the country.”

“Everybody knows that’s the mark right now,” he said. “That’s the standard that’s set.”

It’s a standard Brown can’t help but take pride in. 

“I don’t like Dabo Swinney,” Brown said. “I love Dabo Swinney.”

Then he smirked: “Wish we didn’t have to play him, though.”

Wonder why they don't have any quotes from Dabo in this article. Wouldn't answer their calls? Or the answers he gave wouldn't look good in print? It's a Charleston paper, so it's not like it comes down to homerism or anything.

49 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

BS.

It's not too much to ask any coach at Texas to put together one winning season. Not 12-0, not 10-2, not even 8-4. Just one lousy 7-6 season. It's perfectly fair to fire someone if they can't do that in three years. And it's not like the toxic sludge was so tsunami-like that Charlie didn't come close. If he'd hired better coordinators and made a few better in-game decisions, he could have crawled past that very low 7-6 bar. Was doable, could have happened. Late Mack did f**k this program hard, but he didn't f**k it THAT hard. We weren't Kansas when Charlie took over.

I'd say forget Mack, except this is his thread. So let's forget Charlie instead. If you want to express your undying devotion to him, do it on the Charlie at USF thread     

Is it too much to expect more than two conference championships in 16 years out of the head coach of the University of Goddamn Texas?

On 7/20/2019 at 12:21 AM, Tex Long said:

It was worse than that. On 3rd and 14, he had a prototype 7-yard pass. Punt.

It was a moment of satori for me, and I never threw another beer bottle through my screen again.

Welp.... that's more than I can say.

Sometimes the Thread Police are not only necessary, they're desirable. They're kind of Surly First Responders. When everyone else is running away from a dangerous post, they run toward it. Heroes, I say. Heroes!

And, oh yes, fuck the next poster who says anything about Charlie Strong in this thread. (Well, except me in this post, of course.)

32 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Is it too much to expect more than two conference championships in 16 years out of the head coach of the University of Goddamn Texas?

Way to change the subject.

The lack of conference championships is one of the weak marks on Mack's record. That doesn't negate the fact that he recruited well for a long stretch and made Texas consistently relevant on the national scene in a way no one had since Royal. The same guy both won a national title and left us trending down. You take the good with the bad. 

Of course, some coaches not to be named don't have much good to tote up.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 1:59 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Mack telling Earl “he was always welcome at UT” after Earl criticized him gently did it for me.  Fuck off Mack.  Earl is Texas royalty.  You were an overpaid employee. 

This will cause me rage until my last dying breath.

If anyone were to ever doubt Earls classiness, they just need to be reminded of how he handled that situation.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2019 at 6:14 PM, Magus Ossis said:

And he structured his USF contract to fuck Texas. Because that is what good guys do when they give their best but come up just short of previous worst in history and so get fired.

Tell me more about this contract structuring, I m slow and hadn't heard about this.

I believe two things:
1. There were two Macks. One was the second-best coach Texas ever had, and the other was the worst coach Texas ever had.
2. Charlie was not the worst coach Texas ever had, because late Mack was the worst coach Texas ever had. 

Dude this is stupid. You can’t “split” Mack.

Hi Guys!

My name is Maybe A Coordinating Masterbater.

I’m here to proclaim that Darryl K Royal was the worst coach in Texas history. You see that 1976 season was so horrible. There were two Darryl Royals. The pre-1976 Darryle Royal who was pretty good, and the post 1975 Darryl Royal who was a lazy ass coach that was the worst in Texas history.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

That's a strange list in that so many near the top had very short stints.  Would make more sense if it only included those with 20 or more games.

It's dumb to rank solely by winning percentage. That penalizes the real "best" coaches who stuck around long enough to accumulate some losses.

Kind of like those idiotic Super Bowl standings that show up every January with the f**king New York Jets and their 1-0 record ranked above the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots and 49ers. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

More to the point, it clearly wouldn't have mattered if Mack had left Charlie more to work with, because he obviously didn't know what to do with it. Arguing that he wasn't the worst coach in Texas football history is just choosing to willfully ignore more accumulated evidence than is required in a capital murder case.

Meanwhile, we don't have to worry about either, because we are now no longer in the late-stage Mack era nor in the Charlie Strong era. We're in the "Hot damn, we just beat down Georgia and are about to do the same to LSU, and then we're just getting started" era.

I like the cut of your job Mr. Ponderer.

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

College football programs are like rivers and you can't assess a river without thinking of what went down upstream. Evil Mack was upstream of Charlie. Y'all expected him to just turn that shit around in one year, two years, three years? That tsunami of toxic sludge? Wasn't gonna happen. Couldn't happen. Because of like, gravity, inertia, shit like that. Mack fucked this program so, so fucking hard. 

Three years?  Yes.  I honestly do expect a coach to turn it around in three years.  And not go 5-7 with a loss to motherfucking Kansas despite inheriting a back who ran for 2,000 yards that year.