Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s a question I have….I presume that they strip those bodies of usable gear: rifles, mags, grenades, optics, helmets, etc (shit’s in short supply, man). Is my assumption generally correct?

The opening scene of the Netflix version of All Quiet on the Western Front showed followed a German uniform as it got removed from a dead soldier in the trenches, got sent back, cleaned, bullet holes mended, folded, and issued to a new recruit who was excited to get his new uniform. It makes sense, but had never occurred to me and was revelatory. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There are numerous reasons to be a bit doubtful of the WaPo story and it doesn’t have to be a Russian info op.  It’s all a bit weird when the only people cited are anonymous and the only person they’re throwing under the bus is a dude who’s in prison already. It’s absolutely not a good look for Ukraine if there’s some individual score settling going on. 

Wait for Sweden or Denmark to say something, these are not nations known for playing political games when it comes to serious matters. If they think it was a Ukrainian op they will say so. 

"never believe anything in politics until it is officially denied"

anonymous citation is de rigueur in political reporting of contentious topics.  theres a billion examples of "said a senior official familiar with the subject" on the conflict in ukraine, israel, and everywhere else. so that in itself is not reason for skepticism.

it's really a matter of what makes intuitive sense, and whether you trust the editorial board at Wapo (i generally do, but doesnt mean theyre infallible). 

an interesting cud to chew is that if you find the report true, why are the sources pushing it now?

Naval challenges are nothing new for the former Soviets, but the Ukraine War has introduced some added stressors in the Black Sea. Russia's inability to unify its naval presence across the four major seas in the region is a bad sign for Putin.

Russia's vast swath of territory makes it a logistical nightmare to float a navy. Between the conflict in the Black Sea and the strategic loss of the Baltic Sea with Sweden and Finland joining NATO, Russia's logistical nightmare is only getting worse.

With Russia's economy highly dependent upon maritime shipments, finding a solution should be a top priority; however, any naval projects diverting resources away from the Black Sea could be devastating.

No matter what move the Russians make, limiting maritime power will have substantial economic impacts. Putin has once again backed himself into a corner, and I'm absolutely okay with that.

• Hook 'Em 5

Man, drone warfare is scary AF.

Google translation of subtitles from below:

They're flying at us
Fall!
Flies straight
There's a rocket on it
Turn around Nada
The bridge is further down there
You can't go
(starts to pull u-turn)
Isn't it flying towards us?
I don't know, I don't see
Flying towards us?!

(boom)

YOU ARE WAITING ONLY IN PACKAGES,
AND ONLY IN PIECES...

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

That shit is brutal. Fucking nowhere to hide. at all. 

55 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, there's no hiding or running. And drones are only going to get more and more sophisticated and deadly.

At least with snipers, you could get in a trench or depression.  With artillery, you could get underground.

Drones are just following people into trenches, dugouts, vehicles, etc.  Brutal.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

"never believe anything in politics until it is officially denied"

anonymous citation is de rigueur in political reporting of contentious topics.  theres a billion examples of "said a senior official familiar with the subject" on the conflict in ukraine, israel, and everywhere else. so that in itself is not reason for skepticism.

it's really a matter of what makes intuitive sense, and whether you trust the editorial board at Wapo (i generally do, but doesnt mean theyre infallible). 

an interesting cud to chew is that if you find the report true, why are the sources pushing it now?

Respectfully on this, we aren’t talking about political reporting.  This isn’t a who said what about a budget deal or even a big Pentagon contract. 

This is reporting on intelligence skullduggery with at least two of the major actors at war with each other and boasting intelligence services the operate in the Soviet model at the highest level.  I’m a big fan of the WaPo and the dinosaur media, you can check my posting history.

The WaPo editorial board is not equipped to handle what they would run into if either the Ukrainian or Russian services want to go all  in on an information operation. My hesitancy is not over just over anonymous sources, it’s the whole picture— the only person named is someone already in jail, the investigative parties are keeping quiet, and there remain open questions about what other state actors were up to at the time. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

Man, drone warfare is scary AF.

Google translation of subtitles from below:

They're flying at us
Fall!
Flies straight
There's a rocket on it
Turn around Nada
The bridge is further down there
You can't go
(starts to pull u-turn)
Isn't it flying towards us?
I don't know, I don't see
Flying towards us?!

(boom)

YOU ARE WAITING ONLY IN PACKAGES,
AND ONLY IN PIECES...

image.gif.bbae2b4c61b655b172cb9d8d409d8e71.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Russian instructor of Storm Z penal units explains the impact that Ukrainian cluster munitions are having on the Russian infantry, not only killing and wounding them, but also disrupting logistics of evacuation, and overfilling the hospitals. He says that wounded Russian servicemen are returned to battle with shrapnel still stuck in their bodies.

F-4gMsgXkAAdTr_?format=png&name=medium

F-4gOItWUAAar0Z?format=png&name=medium

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That beating video was a tougher watch for me than the combat videos.  Cruelty for the sake of cruelty, against people that I’m guessing don’t want to be there and couldn’t muster the courage to deal with the shithole they were forced into. 

ammo to spare apparently, though. 

The soldiers doing the beating feel powerless/helpless, so of course they're going to take it out on somebody else rather than their officers (or just surrender/hide out somewhere).

This ties into what some were saying about Putin deliberately grinding up minorities (who might otherwise resist).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Germany has increased the military aid for Ukraine. The following items have been added:

- 10x Leopard 1 A5

- 14x tracked all-terrain vehicles Bandvagn 206 (BV206)

- 5x All Terrain Tracked Carrier Warthog Ambulances

- 4x truck tractor trains 8x8 HX81 and 4x semi-trailers

- 16x "Zetros" trucks

- 13x trucks MAN TGS

- 1x mine clearing tanks WISENT 1

- 10x reconnaissance drones VECTOR

- 12x ground surveillance radars GO12

- 3x border protection vehicles (type not mentioned)

- 1.4 million rounds of ammunition for fire arms

- 1,020x 155mm ammunition

- 10,000x safety glasses

Germany is gradually becoming what I want her to be, exceeding the nominal amount of help compared to all other nations (except the USA). This is promising but we are still see just glimpses of what the "German machine" is capable of.

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That beating video was a tougher watch for me than the combat videos.  Cruelty for the sake of cruelty, against people that I’m guessing don’t want to be there and couldn’t muster the courage to deal with the shithole they were forced into. 

ammo to spare apparently, though. 

This.  You traumatize people during training, then send them into a combat zone where they're guaranteed to be traumatized, then you're surprised that they have an outcome you don't want them to have with respect to that trauma?  To act as if all is normal?  So fucked.  

• Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Germany is gradually becoming what I want her to be, exceeding the nominal amount of help compared to all other nations (except the USA). This is promising but we are still see just glimpses of what the "German machine" is capable of.

One wonders if they are in a little competition with Poland to be seen as military leaders of the EU. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This whole forced conscription, disproportionate effects on minorities, drug and discipline issues just reeks of the late 60s/early 70s US Army in Vietnam.  Grab a bunch of folks off the street to go to die in a war that they don't understand or believe in.  Act surprised the they self-medicate/check-out when they get there.  I'm predicting a Russian Dien Bien Phu. Sevastopol would be a prime location, but Mariupol may work too.  Full on troglodyte communities of guys who have just said, "Not my monkey, not my football, not fighting anymore."  Hell, why not both?

• Hook 'Em 5