Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Sounds like the Russians are learning locally. Good thing their command and control structure is still all fucked up.

After this is over, it will be fascinating to get macro level clarity on the drone/counterdrone piece of this conflict. I believed that over the course of the war, Ukraine would dominate both in numbers and quality of drones and also anti drone warfare. I assumed that western technology being supplied, bought, donated etc. would vastly overwhelm russian capabilities and ability to procure/manufacture more. I think Ukraine does have an advantage, but there have been a lot of lancet videos destroying ukrainian equipment, plus reports like this one, so it doesn't seem like an overwhelming advantage right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, texastough said:

After this is over, it will be fascinating to get macro level clarity on the drone/counterdrone piece of this conflict. I believed that over the course of the war, Ukraine would dominate both in numbers and quality of drones and also anti drone warfare. I assumed that western technology being supplied, bought, donated etc. would vastly overwhelm russian capabilities and ability to procure/manufacture more. I think Ukraine does have an advantage, but there have been a lot of lancet videos destroying ukrainian equipment, plus reports like this one, so it doesn't seem like an overwhelming advantage right now.

I'd argue Ukrainians don't have enough attack helicopters, close air support jets, fighter jets, air defense (gepards, iris-t, patriots), etc. to gain enough air superiority kick Russia's ass in an offensive and adequately protects it's critical infrastructure and cities. It goes back to us slowly piecemealing together things the Ukrainians need and our reluctance to "escalate."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I get that, but thought that Ukraine would gain such advantage in drones (both recon and armed) and counter drone technology to make up for the lack of those things you mention. Drones are relatively cheap, easier to train on, with little to no logistical tail, so they should be easy to supply in great numbers by the west. Given Russia's inability to make its own chips, plus sanctions, it seemed Ukraine's advantage would grow over time. I don't think we have great clarity at this point on the overall picture.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, texastough said:

I get that, but thought that Ukraine would gain such advantage in drones (both recon and armed) and counter drone technology to make up for the lack of those things you mention. Drones are relatively cheap, easier to train on, with little to no logistical tail, so they should be easy to supply in great numbers by the west. Given Russia's inability to make its own chips, plus sanctions, it seemed Ukraine's advantage would grow over time. I don't think we have great clarity at this point on the overall picture.

Russia's getting a bunch of drones from Iran as well as manufacturing their own. Plenty of the Chinese drones are being bought by companies outside Russia and then exported to Russia.

• Rage+1 2

Those Reuters journalists mentioned a large number of Russian dead, and a few others who are watching social media said they haven't seen this many Russian dead since earlier last year.

Russians have put out some stuff, but some of it was easily disproved by the foliage/location.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Here is the actual article:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-soldiers-corpses-line-road-into-liberated-ukrainian-village-2023-06-14/

STOROZHEVE, Ukraine, June 14 (Reuters) - The road into the newly liberated Ukrainian village of Storozheve is lined with the corpses of Russian soldiers and burnt-out armoured vehicles.

The grisly scenes bear witness to the ferocity of fighting as Ukrainian troops recaptured Storozheve and several other villages in the past few days as part of a counteroffensive in southern and eastern Ukraine.

Some of the dead Russian soldiers lay on the dusty ground beside the husks of their vehicles when Reuters journalists reached the village on Wednesday. Others were crumpled in the grass and fields nearby where they died.

Inside the village, the small one-storey houses that line the road have been badly damaged by shelling, their roofs completely gone or with gaping holes.

An abandoned stroller lay overturned at the side of the road. The village was silent, its residents gone or staying out of sight.

"Three days ago we liberated the village of Storozheve. You can see for yourselves how it was achieved. You can see the destroyed hardware. Glory to Ukraine," a Ukrainian soldier who gave his name only as Artem told Reuters in Storozheve.

A photograph posted online on Monday showed Ukrainian soldiers holding up the yellow and blue Ukrainian flag in front of a damaged home in Storozheve.

The village had been occupied by Russian forces since March 2022, one month after Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

The soldiers said about 50 Russian soldiers were killed in a "mopping-up operation" and four were taken prisoner. Reuters was unable to verify the number of Russian casualties, although corpses were still strewn across the road and nearby fields.

Storozheve is one of a cluster of settlements near the Mokry Yali river that Ukraine says its troops have captured since their counteroffensive began.

Reuters also reached the nearby village of Neskuchne on Tuesday, providing the first independent confirmation of the Ukrainian advances since Kyiv began the counteroffensive.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

^Long but well worth the read. It did seem strange to me that Russia was "counterattacking" when technically they were supposed to be in a defensive posture. This post might explain why.

Just looking at some of the "trenches" in the videos being release tell me these defensive lines were not what they were reported to be.  Some of those are barely deep enough to hide a person who is laying down, let alone someone standing up.  They look haphazardly dug, and barely fortified. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Just looking at some of the "trenches" in the videos being release tell me these defensive lines were not what they were reported to be.  Some of those are barely deep enough to hide a person who is laying down, let alone someone standing up.  They look haphazardly dug, and barely fortified. 

Almost as if somebody was collecting money/resources to dig a 5-foot deep, 2 or 3-foot or so wide trench for a long ways, that would take a lot of time and fuel, and instead took a backhoe and drove along scooping out trenches a couple of feet deep and maybe the width of the bucket, and doing it as quickly as they could.

• Hook 'Em 5

Meanwhile, one of the top Chechen warlords Apti Allaudinov states on his Telegram that all Akhmat units located in Mar'inka are being withdrawn and transferred to the area of the incident with Adam Delimkhanov. Oddly, he uses a lot of emojis while promising to find Delimkhanov regardless of the cost. This is a highly unusual style and the statement itself is confusing. Russian terrorist under the call sign "13th" says that "Mar'inka is f*cked" [В Марьинке творитя какой-то пиздец". Unclear if these messages are related in any way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Almost as if somebody was collecting money/resources to dig a 5-foot deep, 2 or 3-foot or so wide trench for a long ways, that would take a lot of time and fuel, and instead took a backhoe and drove along scooping out trenches a couple of feet deep and maybe the width of the bucket, and doing it as quickly as they could.

Sure apprears that way.  And thank you for posting the tweet so I didnt have to go to twitter.  Very good read. 

I think the answer is yes , we've been led to believe the defensive line was much stronger than its showing to be.  What we know about RU is their military is lazy, largely disinterested and apathetic.  Sure there are holdouts, but overall they are wilting under fire and but for the sheer size of the landmass that needs to be retaken, its just a matter of time.  RU looks to be holding out for the long game and still shelling civilians as their fastball.  Godspeed to the UKR that they can keep the resolve up

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

This is kinda big.  What will Wagner do? 

Probably be integrated fully into the Russian military - Putin is putting the final nail in that coffin, but it's always been hanging over Wagner that technically they were an illegal organization in Russia (Russia has laws against PMCs or whatever). I need to go back and look at whether this came down before or after Wagner kidnapped and tortured the Russian Army Lt. Col, but I bet it was going to happen either way.

As for Prigozhin...he's in my dead pool.

And I could see them putting a shoot-to-kill order out on any Wagner who don't sign.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Ukraine has not reached the main defensive lines yet, the videos are showing foxholes on the front line. Read the long tweet you quoted.

Edited by texastough

A perspective on those SPGs Russia lost in that one field.  Russia can't easily regenerate those - the very things that made them cheap/easy to produce are going to haunt them - they use T-72 engines and T-80 running gear, and both of those will be focused on getting tanks produced or back in service.

FylVz9MWAAEBh6v?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1