Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

17 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

B6900371-CA93-4D2E-8D9C-227E0F4AA005.thumb.jpeg.4edc0866823032962349e3ac68725b4f.jpeg

Comrade General, FSB has plan….if you can’t run away from khokhols, then troops can’t run away. Is brilliant!

If you can no longer see your penis, is it still there?

I wonder if he has assistants that wipe his ass with towels, the way Mangino used to. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

49 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Are those dipshits EVER gonna get it? 

I'll admit up front I'm optimistic about everything that's happening, but I think there's two things going on that could play into this:

1. Russians blowing the dam (and more dams)
  2. Ukrainian success in the past 48-72 hours

Now it's possible that neither of things matter in terms of what Macron is saying to Iran and Scholz is saying to Russia, but a lot of countries are even more pissed at Russia over the dam thing, and are pleased with the results of the Ukrainian counter-offensive(s). We've seen a large number of additional weaponry and resources being committed in the wake of the dam being destroyed, as well as the success of the Ukrainians. It may not be a red line, but there is definitely a huge surge of interest and support in the wake of the dam being blown.

If there was going to be an influx of more/heavier aid (up to and including fighters), Russia needs to be told up front, and I find it curious that Scholz mentioned he was going to tell Putin again that NATO wouldn't be drawn into the war. Makes me think he is going to tell Putin once again to pull out, and that NATO wouldn't be drawn into it (no matter what Putin says in his speeches or his talking heads say on TV), but that aid is going to increase beyond what's been supplied. Germany has been ramping up their support, and Leopards were made out to be a big deal by the Russian talking heads (and Western analysts) in the counter-offensives that are going on, so Scholz kind of seems the logical choice.

As far as Macron and Iran, out of the larger countries (including the US and the Brits), France is slightly more neutral towards Iran, and seem like the logical choice for conveying messages to Iran about stopping their support that is allowing Russia to drag this out, and that things might get difficult for Iran.

Again, could be the optimist in me, but if I were picking out countries to convey certain messages to Russia and Iran, Germany and France seem the most logical choice. This is especially true given that the US has issues with Russia and Iran that could overshadow what's happening in Ukraine - Iran and Russia would try to make any discussions about the US, whereas I think Scholz and Macron can keep things focused on the issue at hand - Ukraine.

I'm probably wrong though.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

At 42 tons the damn thing is so heavy I can’t see how much extra weight going to a cannon barrel that will allow the Booker to defend itself against other nations’ main battle tanks is not a good idea. Why I do not get a vote I guess.  

Then, again, maybe the new focus is on survivability and that accounts for the weight.  Ukraine has taught us that tanks will be hit a lot with drones and javelin type missiles, so maybe that is the direction we are going.

Not a “ light tank”?  Fuck that, it’s a tank.  And not so light. 

I threw it in the thread, because I do wonder if Ukraine had an influence on this selection - at 42 tons, it's 20-30 tons lighter than the M1A1 sepwhatever.  A lot of people do not realize that the M1A1 is extremely heavy and not rated for a lot of bridges were it to have to operate in a much more mobile environment.  I think the "light" talk is somewhat because of the main gun as well.

Ukraine is teaching us a whole lot about tanks (and anti-tank weapons) on the modern battlefield, and they aren't even having to deal with helicopter gunships. The Booker is going to be a lot more mobile than the M1A1, probably have a lot better range, and is expected to operate with more mobile units and not merely mechanized infantry in AFVs/IFVs, but dudes scooting around with recon folks and soldiers in these vehicles:

800px-A-GMV_during_exercise_Immediate_Re

If you are running around with a bunch of extremely mobile units that are well-equipped with Javelins and MANPADs, I can see where a lighter tank can do a lot.

These aren't replacing M1A1s, but I can see where they fill some gaps between say Bradleys/Strykers and M1A1s.

Of course, this process has been going on for years, and technically these were selected in June of last year (my mistake in making it look like it was recent - that was the naming ceremeony), but I've got to think that the Ukraine will be influencing all of the major weapons systems coming online in the next several years.

• Hook 'Em 2

Perhaps, but I hope we do not only go back to the Fulda gap perspective. Light equipment is going to needed should other brushfire conflicts kick off. The French did a good job producing for both. M-1's were not that effective in Iraq and Afghanistan. And hard to sustain. 

I see the Booker as a good fit for say Somalia or Syria in addition to a lighter, movement focused doctrine. And if not, I am sure the police departments around the US would love them!

I kid about the last line, but imagine sheriff dumbass with one of these as a breaching toy!

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah. A Bradley is closer to 28 tons. I guess I was mostly pointing to the added weight of the 120 mm cannon verses to 105, given the use of the Abrams turret. I’d really like to know how much weight is saved.

US doctrine in World War II was to have the Shermans attached to infantry units. For the same stated reason the Booker will be used. The towed antitank guns and tank destroyers we’re supposed to deal with tanks, not the Shermans. Those tank on tank encounters were supposed to be rare. They wound up not being so rare.  This just looks to me to possibly be a repeat of the past short-sighted WWII doctrine. I would like to see the Booker be able to take out MBTs as well.  

/thread derail

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I would like to see the Booker be able to take out MBTs as well.  

I  have a feeling it could take out an older T-62 or T-72 in a pinch.  This is something the Ukrainians could have used in those situations where they had drone coverage and knew there weren't any MBTs in the area.

And after this war, I doubt there will be any newer Russian stuff floating around to worry about. This does feel like something more suited to our past engagements and potential future engagements, but when you toss in drones, etc., and you know exactly where the MBTs are going to be, these could do a lot of damage.

Edit: and everybody has to be thinking about off-the-shelf drones dropping mortar shells these days.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Fuck Russia right up the ass.

"We are continuing our rescue operation in the south of Ukraine, and we have managed to evacuate about 4,000 people. Dozens of towns and villages remain flooded, with the worst situation still in the temporarily occupied part of Kherson region. Russian terrorists continue to shell evacuation routes, evacuation points, boats that take people away... Today, as a result of one of these attacks, three people were killed. Ten more people were injured, including two police officers. It was an evacuation from Kardashynka, an occupied village on the left bank of Kherson region... The occupiers created this disaster by blowing up the dam, leaving people to their fate in flooded towns and villages, and then shelling the boats that are trying to take people away... Even beasts are more moral than you, Russian state."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Edit: and everybody has to be thinking about off-the-shelf drones dropping mortar shells these days.

I just got back from washing my car. As I’m standing there, I thought “gator, you stupid old fuck, I think we’ve left the world where we’re going to encounter much unforeseen armor. “ Satellites and drones are going to make those surprise encounters rare.  

And of course, you are right, in the valley of tears battle Israeli Centurion’s with 105 mm canon decimated a ton of T-55 and T-62 Syrian tanks. I blame day drinking. But Gata to CWS, so alibi. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Reading around, it sounds like a lot of the Ukrainian probing (huh huh) was trying to trigger Russia into committing those "strategic" reserves and moving those troops into range of Ukrainian artillery, or at the very least, getting those reserves committed so that the Ukrainians could exploit that elsewhere.

I wonder how well equipped/trained those reserves, because I go back and forth on "would you put your untrained meat on the front line to soak up as much damage as possible, and keep your better-trained and/or equipped troops in the rear, so that you can deploy them to any openings that pop up" or "would you put your better-trained and/or equipped troops on the front to keep those openings from happening, and any openings that do happen will see Ukrainian forces that are weakened from engaging our better-trained troops".

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Reading around, it sounds like a lot of the Ukrainian probing (huh huh) was trying to trigger Russia into committing those "strategic" reserves and moving those troops into range of Ukrainian artillery, or at the very least, getting those reserves committed so that the Ukrainians could exploit that elsewhere.

I wonder how well equipped/trained those reserves, because I go back and forth on "would you put your untrained meat on the front line to soak up as much damage as possible, and keep your better-trained and/or equipped troops in the rear, so that you can deploy them to any openings that pop up" or "would you put your better-trained and/or equipped troops on the front to keep those openings from happening, and any openings that do happen will see Ukrainian forces that are weakened from engaging our better-trained troops".

Well, I can tell you what they've done in other places, and it's without a doubt put the meat up front to soak things up. 

The problem is, they run out of meat, and then it all becomes meat. Because they don't really have the ability to think any other way. That all went out the window when they shot their load in the opening parts of the war. Russia had a very professional core part of their army, but it no longer exists. Not really. Just parts of it, and then they added so many mobilized to their ranks willy nilly it doesn't have anywhere near the same cohesion. 

All I know is that Ukraine is having success with their offensive so far. Way more than Russia ever did over the last 9 months, when Ukraine's lines were static, and Russia just kept throwing bodies at it. To me this bodes well. How well, I have no idea, but I like what I'm seeing so far. 

I think my favorite part is where Russians talk about the strategy of letting Ukraine's offensive push peter out, then they counter attack and push them back again. That ain't happening. 

I can't even really imagine what Russia is going to do if Ukraine manages a big breach in their final defense lines. I don't know if that's going to occur or not, but I'm hopeful. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

This a bit confusing to me.  The losing contractor had a design built around the 105 mm Rifled cannon Buford  system.  The winning system uses the M1A turret fire control system.   I’d assume that it would adopt the Abram’s 120 mm cannon instead of a 105 mm barrel cannon due to all of the great ammo in our MBT that could be used in this M-10 Booker, with ammo logistics uniformity .  The twitter thread revealed a vid from The Chieftain’s Hatch - a tank blog with a review of the prototype - and said that  a new 105 mm will be used.  Weird.

They talk about weight reduction not going with the 120 cannon - and that it will be used for destroying things like bunkers and machine gun nests and other light armored vehicles. It is NOT designed as a tank killer (it will use standard NATO 105 ammo, so maybe the brains can invent new 105 shells to pierce other MBTs).   At 42 tons the damn thing is so heavy I can’t see how much extra weight going to a cannon barrel that will allow the Booker to defend itself against other nations’ main battle tanks is not a good idea. Why I do not get a vote I guess.  

Then, again, maybe the new focus is on survivability and that accounts for the weight.  Ukraine has taught us that tanks will be hit a lot with drones and javelin type missiles, so maybe that is the direction we are going.

Not a “ light tank”?  Fuck that, it’s a tank.  And not so light. 

Recoil

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I mean its cool, but if you dont think this shit wasnt planned filmed and staged, you are out of your fucking mind.   

This is literally propaganda 101.  

A fellow "prisoner" who just happens to be sitting in the first 3 rows of the bus, gets up to announce hes going to not only return, but fight Russia instead?

its theater.   what would have made it real was if one of the clowns in the back HAD taken up the offer. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I mean its cool, but if you dont think this shit wasnt planned filmed and staged, you are out of your fucking mind.   

This is literally propaganda 101.  

A fellow "prisoner" who just happens to be sitting in the first 3 rows of the bus, gets up to announce hes going to not only return, but fight Russia instead?

its theater.   what would have made it real was if one of the clowns in the back HAD taken up the offer. 

That guy has a death sentence over his head though - he was Wagner, and Wagner will kill POWs who surrender, especially those who were convicts.

• Hook 'Em 3

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1667982735049195523?t=keVz65bGu01SPAihVQ-73w&s=19

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1667982753210531840?t=j_FOnUmMz9Qh0qrmr8OF9w&s=19

Of the 35 brigades Ukraine prepared for offensive so far only two are in the fight: 37th Marines Brigade and 47th Mechanized.  The brigades like the 68th Jaeger and 129th Territorial Defense, which are currently liberating villages, aren't part of the offensive... they are following the 37th Marines and liberating villages on the flanks of the 37th's advance. 

And brigades like the 3rd Assault & 59th Motorized aren't part of the offensive, but using russia's lack of reserves to overrun russian positions in their sector.

Now the russians, sheer terror gripping tight their hearts with icy fingers knowing full well what merciless horrors they suffer at the guns and howitzers of merely two Ukrainian brigades, stare across the Steppe at 140,000 Ukrainians eager to join the fight. Victory is near.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Was watching a news report two weeks ago (60 minutes?) and they interviewed a very famous Ukrainian news person who works from Kiev. She said her own mother in Russia believes the Putin propaganda and thinks this whole war is a Ukrainian Nazi campaign. It’s amazing how successful propaganda can be. 

• Rage+1 6
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

For the record-as much dunking as Wagner does on the Russian MoD, it has to be noted that Wagner substitutes cruelty for professionalism (yes, I know Wagner leaders are ex-MoD and I know the regular MoD troops also torture and execute prisoners. The point is that Wagner is not a bunch of badasses; they’re just really ready to ignore accepted codes of conduct with respect to prisoners and civilians. Small units fear them, not because they are such terrific fighters, but because of their cruelty should they get the upper hand). 

• Hook 'Em 4