Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Ukrainian deputy defence minister Hanna Maliar: "According to available information, it has become known that the enemy is moving its most combat-ready units from the Kherson direction, primarily marines, airborne troops and the 49th Army. Therefore, the purpose of the Russians' explosion of the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant becomes obvious. Thus, taking into account its own losses and limited reserves, thus realizing the inability to deter the Ukrainian offensive in different directions, the command of the Russian occupation forces decided to 'narrow' the possible geography of the Armed Forces' active actions. The explosion of the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant was obviously carried out in order to prevent the Ukrainian Defense Forces from launching an offensive in the Kherson sector and to free up the necessary reserves for their deployment to the Zaporizhzhia and Bakhmut sectors. Also, by destroying the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant, the Russian leadership is trying to divert some of the forces and resources of the Ukrainian Defense Forces to eliminate the man-made disaster, thereby making it impossible to liberate the occupied territories on the left bank of the Kherson region." 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dimyh said:

A nice video with some satellite images of various Russian trench lines. Gives you a better idea of all the little ratholes that the Ukes will have to clear out.

Hopefully they find the right pressure points to collapse a lot of Russian lines and avoid crawling into every orc den

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Water is supposed to normalize today, and then there is supposed to be some rain in the forecast, but in maybe a week everything there might be dry enough to cross. So it'll be funny if they ford some BTRs across into Kherson, or do some bridge laying next week to hit those troops pulled from Kherson 

• Hook 'Em 7

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

No impact here, but an interesting thing for the future - US Army just unveiled the M10 Booker, which is not a light tank, but sure looks like it, and I'm curious if Ukraine had an impact on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Protected_Firepower

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/06/10/us-armys-new-combat-vehicle-named-for-soldiers-killed-in-iraq-wwii/

800px-Mobile_Protected_Firepower_c._2023

This a bit confusing to me.  The losing contractor had a design built around the 105 mm Rifled cannon Buford  system.  The winning system uses the M1A turret fire control system.   I’d assume that it would adopt the Abram’s 120 mm cannon instead of a 105 mm barrel cannon due to all of the great ammo in our MBT that could be used in this M-10 Booker, with ammo logistics uniformity .  The twitter thread revealed a vid from The Chieftain’s Hatch - a tank blog with a review of the prototype - and said that  a new 105 mm will be used.  Weird.

They talk about weight reduction not going with the 120 cannon - and that it will be used for destroying things like bunkers and machine gun nests and other light armored vehicles. It is NOT designed as a tank killer (it will use standard NATO 105 ammo, so maybe the brains can invent new 105 shells to pierce other MBTs).   At 42 tons the damn thing is so heavy I can’t see how much extra weight going to a cannon barrel that will allow the Booker to defend itself against other nations’ main battle tanks is not a good idea. Why I do not get a vote I guess.  

Then, again, maybe the new focus is on survivability and that accounts for the weight.  Ukraine has taught us that tanks will be hit a lot with drones and javelin type missiles, so maybe that is the direction we are going.

Not a “ light tank”?  Fuck that, it’s a tank.  And not so light. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Are those dipshits EVER gonna get it? 

No?

I mean, it took a full fledged invasion to change their tune even slightly. 

To me, what has happened surrounding the dam sabotage - not just the destruction itself, both short and long term, but making sure it was as much of a humanitarian disaster as possible - confiscating and destroying flotation devices, opening fire on anyone trying to evacuate after the dam break was discovered, shelling evacuation centers, refusing to allow UN personnel to assist people suffering from the devastation - should put a nail in the coffin for what Ukraine is dealing with, and the extent to which Russia/Putin will go.

They're making preparations for a mass mobilization of basically any man who can fog a mirror and isn't in a high enough place of power to be able to say no. They're leaning on their historical precedence for simply throwing meat into the meat grinder until the enemy gives in, but they simply don't have as much meat compared to everyone else as they used to, while refusing to acknowledge it. 

You didn't include Macron, but he's just as bad in many ways. And these are the ones on Ukraine's side. God forbid the opposition took over. I won't go down the list of EU/NATO countries and the problems with each one, but the short answer is that they're full of either small populations with tiny economies, countries heading headlong towards democracies in name only, or countries with oppositions who don't want to have anything to do with Ukraine. That's a broad generalization, but there's more than a kernel of truth in there. 

I'm all in on Ukraine's side, and have been for almost a decade now. Mostly I see shit like this and just remind myself to be grateful for the support given. Germany has been instrumental in giving Ukraine the means to conduct the current offensive. Their air defense systems have almost certainly saved thousands of civilian lives. Maybe tens of thousands. They're very far from perfect, and it seemed to take forever for them to move their sluggish ass, but if Scholz wants to pretend his stupid fucking phone call is going to make a difference to Putin in terms of providing an offramp for this horseshit, in my mind it's the price we have to pay for Germany making a difference. Which they have. 

But no. There's a lack of understanding that Ukraine presents an existential threat to Russia. Not just in terms of being on its border while being more western oriented. But the possibility it may actually start having a much higher standard of living while doing so. That's the thing. It's bad enough as it is where Russians are just coming in and stealing shit wholesale because the Ukrainians are living better lives than they are at home. And Ukraine has a dogshit economy. Think if they became the kind of powerhouse I think they're capable of. It would look like the North/South Korea border and the West/East Germany border all over again. What Russian government is going to survive that?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1