Who won’t play in the Sugar Bowl?

El Moco

14 minutes ago, El Moco said:

Haven’t read the other thread (too busy) yet, but I was wondering if any seniors or early entry juniors have made the decision to sit it out.  Personally, I don’t like it when a player dies that, but it’s their call.

LJH and Omenihu have both already said they're in

25 minutes ago, El Moco said:

Haven’t read the other thread (too busy) yet, but I was wondering if any seniors or early entry juniors have made the decision to sit it out.  Personally, I don’t like it when a player dies that, but it’s their call.

If they're dead, they are ineligible for the bowl game. 

• Like 2

Even if we had any surefire first round picks, I think a NY6 bowl is big enough that you wouldn't see mny skips. That goes for UGA too. Anyone below a consensus first rounder, which is any of our SRs with NFL potential, has a chance to improve their stock against good competition.

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The answer to this better be nobody.  It would be dumb for any of them to skip it.  Nobody is a sure fire 1st round pick, and frankly any player who ditches the first big bowl game in 10 years when we’re trying to turn the program around will almost certainly lose out on the alumni network goodwill and perks that normally are associated with being an ex player.

This is the exact way I felt, but these kids all think they’re first rounders and play the “future” card without consideration to what gave them a chance at such a future.

12 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

According to these guys, UGA has 4 second rounders and a 3rd round prospect.  Some of them might sit out, especially if someone is whispering in their ear that they might get drafted higher than this projection.

That ain’t whispering you’re hearing. That is the flap of an envelope being opened and stuffed with cash from an agent.

16 minutes ago, Hellraiser97 said:

Any player that sits out the bowl game because they are going pro should never be welcome on campus again

I do not like OU

Kevin Durant sat out his last 3 seasons if you want to have that fucking mindset.

15 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

According to these guys, UGA has 4 second rounders and a 3rd round prospect.  Some of them might sit out, especially if someone is whispering in their ear that they might get drafted higher than this projection.

thread brings up the question - do Bama players sit out their CFP games? I mean, they're all 1-2 round picks, crazy money on the table - yet it seems they all participate, no?

Just now, NowThis said:

thread brings up the question - do Bama players sit out their CFP games? I mean, they're all 1-2 round picks, crazy money on the table - yet it seems they all participate, no?

I mean, it's different when hardware is on the table. I would think that applies to an NY6, especially for Texas. Maybe less so for UGA but still.

Just now, RandomIdoit said:

Do you place a NY6 bowl at the same level as a CFP game?

from the perspective of a top player, if all he wants is to avoid injury, why would any game be more important than protecting his body?

still, it's intriguing, have any Bama superstars sat out a postseason game? 

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

NC on the line via CFP.  Beyond the immediate stakes, a lot of player can improve their draft status by having a big game against a top tier opponent as the last impression in NFL scouts' minds.

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

NC on the line via CFP.  Beyond the immediate stakes, a lot of player can improve their draft status by having a big game against a top tier opponent as the last impression in NFL scouts' minds.

That's actually a good point as it pertains to our game. Georgia is probably the most talented team we've faced since maybe 2015 Notre Dame (you could argue 2017 USC, but it's quite clear that Clay Helton can't develop players for shit). This is a valuable opportunity for our guys to put up tape against a team full of Sunday players.

It's a far cry from a mediocre, overrated Missouri team.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

i think their body of work + draft combine is like 99% of the reasoning. I doubt 1 game has that much impact on draft stock. Besides they could go off on a Missouri too with like 300 yards rushing to get attention vs. rushiing for only 45 yards vs. Clemson + risk getting hurt by the NFL prospects on Clemson. 

Basically, if they really care about the team, no one should ever sit out. It's a completely selfish mindset, so why risk anything? Sit out the semis, bowls, nc -- all postseason. 

9 minutes ago, NowThis said:

from the perspective of a top player, if all he wants is to avoid injury, why would any game be more important than protecting his body?

still, it's intriguing, have any Bama superstars sat out a postseason game? 

Who says that is all they want to do? Some players want to win a championship. If they aren't in the CFP, they might sit out. 

9 minutes ago, Xian said:

It’s a Pretty huge game for us and I would imagine the players 

That doesn't mean they will not want to sit out. I don't think anyone for Texas will though.

1 minute ago, RandomIdoit said:

Who says that is all they want to do? Some players want to win a championship. If they aren't in the CFP, they might sit out. 

That doesn't mean they will not want to sit out. I don't think anyone for Texas will though.

i understand the desire to win, but losing the lifelong dream of millions$ over a game where the players just gets a ring isn't worth it. It's not enough to push a player to play if he was going to sit out a regular bowl game. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't make sense to play at all. 

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

Kevin Durant sat out his last 3 seasons if you want to have that fucking mindset.

Sweet Blue Amputated Mohammad on a tricycle. You are comparing apples to spam. You must have gone to Tech or some such damn place.

Durant did not quit on the team while games or tourney games were being played. Now, let's suppose Durant had left the Longhorns before the NCAA tournament was played to focus on the draft then, yes... there could be similarities.

Those who sweat with their team from summer workouts through the last game of the regular season, those who toil and are part of a team and the team relies upon them ... only to leave because they are afraid they may get hurt in the bowl game, or exposed, epitomize the "All about me" players who place themselves over anything and everything. And if I were a general manager of an NFL team, I sure as shit would take that into account as a huge negative against the player ... that he places his own perceived "needs" over the needs of the team. Will they ever truly bust their ass and give 100% on every play.. or hold back because they may get hurt? They already turned their back on their college team, what makes me believe they wouldn't do that same thing in the NFL?

3 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Sweet Blue Amputated Mohammad on a tricycle. You are comparing apples to spam. You must have gone to Tech or some such damn place.

Durant did not quit on the team while games or tourney games were being played. Now, let's suppose Durant had left the Longhorns before the NCAA tournament was played to focus on the draft then, yes... there could be similarities.

Those who sweat with their team from summer workouts through the last game of the regular season, those who toil and are part of a team and the team relies upon them ... only to leave because they are afraid they may get hurt in the bowl game, or exposed, epitomize the "All about me" players who place themselves over anything and everything. And if I were a general manager of an NFL team, I sure as shit would take that into account as a huge negative against the player ... that he places his own perceived "needs" over the needs of the team. Will they ever truly bust their ass and give 100% on every play.. or hold back because they may get hurt? They already turned their back on their college team, what makes me believe they wouldn't do that same thing in the NFL?

Semantics...

7 minutes ago, NowThis said:

i understand the desire to win, but losing the lifelong dream of millions$ over a game where the players just gets a ring isn't worth it. It's not enough to push a player to play if he was going to sit out a regular bowl game. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't make sense to play at all. 

That's why they buy insurance.

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yeah. Fuck him. Greatest professional* athlete and biggest ex-Longhorn player donor in UT history. What a runaway loser.

Edited by ztejas
Phrasing

5 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Their parents? Time to take out a third mortgage I guess.

The NCAA has some coverage for full disability.  Athletes can purchase additional insurance using financing to be repaid from either future earnings or the insurance payout itself in case of injury.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hellraiser97 said:

Any player that sits out the bowl game because they are going pro should never be welcome on campus again

I do not like OU

Any player that’s played good enough at Texas to be a high round draft pick has done far more for the football program & university than you ever will come close to doing. They’ve earned the right to sit out if they want. The higher they get picked the better the school looks to future recruits.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Kevin Durant analogy is silly. Nobody is begrudging players for forgoing future seasons of eligibility, they just want the players to participate in the current season from start to finish.

For an exhibition game?  I totally get where you're coming from.  Do you understand the players' perspective?

1 minute ago, slorch said:

For an exhibition game?  I totally get where you're coming from.  Do you understand the players' perspective?

These exhibition games are real enough that they are counted in season stats and records. We're not talking about the spring game here.

And for what it's worth, I don't see red when players sit out bowl games like some CFB fams do. I just don't think your analogy was apt.