Green Bay Packers fire head coach Mike McCarthy

Machinator

Just now, Southernthunder said:

That’s gonna be a good job for whoever gets it. They have problems but they have a QB. Will they keep the GM? 

They already replaced their GM last offseason. They brought in a new defensive coordinator too, perhaps to give McCarthy one final chance to redeem himself.

• Like 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Aaron Rodgers has thrown 21 TDs with only 1 INT this year, and the Packers are 4-7-1.  I’m not even mad - that’s amazing.

This guy basically wasted Rodgers’s career, so this is overdue if anything.  Rodgers should have dominated the NFC the way Brady and the Pats own the AFC, instead of just getting one Super Bowl followed by futilely carrying a bunch of mediocre teams to good but not great years.

I agree. Rodgers is awesome. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Awesome quarterback but also a primadonna with a touch of douchebag

Unfortunately, Rodgers is a frontrunner. I love the dude unconditionally as a Packers fan, but he’s a “blame anyone but myself” guy when things go bad and they’ve been going bad a lot this season. It’s been tough watching his shitty body language week in and week out. He’s not playing up to his usual standards and the skill position talent outside of Davante Adams and Aaron Jones just isn’t there. Hopefully whoever they bring in can fix his mechanics and bring some creativity into the fold...

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Aaron Rodgers has thrown 21 TDs with only 1 INT this year, and the Packers are 4-7-1.  I’m not even mad - that’s amazing.

This guy basically wasted Rodgers’s career, so this is overdue if anything.  Rodgers should have dominated the NFC the way Brady and the Pats own the AFC, instead of just getting one Super Bowl followed by futilely carrying a bunch of mediocre teams to good but not great years.

Aaron Rodgers will make $33.5MM in 2018

Tom Brady will make $15MM

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Awesome quarterback but also a primadonna with a touch of douchebag

Yeah... None of those type QBs ever win the SB. 

McCarthy and the GM they fired last year were absolute garbage, especially the GM. Their drafting has been so bad they can't win with even a HOF QB that will be close to top 5 ever status when he's done. That's 1996 to 2013 Jerry Jones level shit drafting. 

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Aaron Rodgers will make $33.5MM in 2018

Tom Brady will make $15MM

Not only that but Brady has had the LeBron James level Fortune of playing in the worst division the sport had ever seen for the longest period of time. When is the last time the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills ever challenged for anything? 

If Brady and this team was playing there in mid 80s to mid 90s they don't win near as much. 

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Those stats don't tell the whole story.  He's losing his touch.  Has missed a lot more on his passes this year.

He might could limp along if the decline doesn't accelerate, he's still not Peyton in his final year.  But I doubt the Packers can replace enough players fast enough for him to win another championship.

Odd how some of the all-time greats can just lose their accuracy, and quickly.  It was so hard to believe when I saw it happen to Warren Moon.

10 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

Unfortunately, Rodgers is a frontrunner. I love the dude unconditionally as a Packers fan, but he’s a “blame anyone but myself” guy when things go bad and they’ve been going bad a lot this season. It’s been tough watching his shitty body language week in and week out. He’s not playing up to his usual standards and the skill position talent outside of Davante Adams and Aaron Jones just isn’t there. Hopefully whoever they bring in can fix his mechanics and bring some creativity into the fold...

Don't forget he gets an unbelievable amount of referee favoritism. You so much as look at him the wrong way and it's a flag.

32 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Yeah... None of those type QBs ever win the SB. 

McCarthy and the GM they fired last year were absolute garbage, especially the GM. Their drafting has been so bad they can't win with even a HOF QB that will be close to top 5 ever status when he's done. That's 1996 to 2013 Jerry Jones level shit drafting. 

I’m not so sure he’ll go down as top 5 of all time or make the HOF without a really strong back end of his career. 

Looking at stats only, using his career averages (not counting the first 3 he sat) he’ll need 4 more years to be top 5 in tds, 6 more years to be top 5 in yards, 7 more years to be top 5 in wins, and that’s all if Brees and Ben stop playing tomorrow. 

Without a lot more wins and another couple super bowl wins, by any objective measure, other than the eye test, he’s the 5th best qb of his era, if you put him ahead of Eli. 

53 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Rodgers gets the most excuses I have ever seen. He has a big part in their failures over time as well. This notion that he should have dominated like Brady is a crock of shit. Brady is clutch. Rodgers isn't. When trailing to teams with winning records in the 4th qtr, he's pathetic. Like maybe one win? I saw the stat somewhere. He feasts off lesser teams and pads his stats that way. He is a talented QB but he is the hypothetical champion. All these what ifs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heso said:

I’m not so sure he’ll go down as top 5 of all time or make the HOF without a really strong back end of his career. 

Looking at stats only, using his career averages (not counting the first 3 he sat) he’ll need 4 more years to be top 5 in tds, 6 more years to be top 5 in yards, 7 more years to be top 5 in wins, and that’s all if Brees and Ben stop playing tomorrow. 

Without a lot more wins and another couple super bowl wins, by any objective measure, other than the eye test, he’s the 5th best qb of his era, if you put him ahead of Eli. 

With Belichick coachinh his team and playing in the AFC north for the last decade where would he be?

You have to eye test because not all GMs/owners and coaches are equal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heso said:

This first part is ridiculous. He’s a bitch and hasn’t helped my fantasy team much this year but he’s as sure a thing as a first ballot HOF’er there is. 

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

With Belichick coachinh his team and playing in the AFC north for the last decade where would he be?

You have to eye test when both the stats and the results say he’s not as good as his hype. 

5 minutes ago, naija said:

Someone really thinks there is a question of if Aaron Rodgers makes the HOF. I've read it all

I think he makes it, but it’s based on looking good at football not winning games or championships or stats. 

Hopefully this decision ultimately destroys Green Bay and those spoiled assholes up north. They have been blessed with 2 generational quarterbacks and it’s been titties and beer since ‘95. 

Aaron Rodgers is a bitch ass that thought VY and the boys didn’t deserve their ‘04 Rose Bowl berth. Guess what? We won that bitch and back to back. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Excuses excuses excuses. The name of the game for Rodgers. No one ever blames him for anything. Ever. He gets a free pass.

5 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Hopefully this decision ultimately destroys Green Bay and those spoiled assholes up north. They have been blessed with 2 generational quarterbacks and it’s been titties and beer since ‘95. 

Aaron Rodgers is a bitch ass that thought VY and the boys didn’t deserve their ‘04 Rose Bowl berth. Guess what? We won that bitch and back to back. 

Sonny Cumbie owns Aaron crybaby Rodgers.

22 minutes ago, heso said:

I think he makes it, but it’s based on looking good at football not winning games or championships or stats. 

Super Bowl Champion and MVP

2X regular season MVP

Career and single-season passer rating record

Six straight years with passer rating over 100

5th-highest postseason passer rating

Highest TD percentage and lowest interception percentage in the modern era

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Hopefully this decision ultimately destroys Green Bay and those spoiled assholes up north.

This can't be stated enough.  15 years is a little bit of distance but if i ever see Tedford or Wodgers in an airport i'm going to flash 'em the Harley Clark and say "ok, cool.  hook 'em".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So Kliff has an offer  from USC but wants to see what his options are with the NFL. McCarthy gets fired midseason, which seems ood for a Superbowl winning coach. Coincidence? 

Ryan Gosling isn’t being considered for a head coaching position in the NFL. Offensive Coordinator maybe. QB coach more likely. 

Edited by TonyTexas

31 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So Kliff has an offer  from USC but wants to see what his options are with the NFL. McCarthy gets fired midseason, which seems ood for a Superbowl winning coach. Coincidence? 

How so?  He's was fired from a mid-tier P5 school.... he's not getting a head gig in the NFL and no competent GM hires an OC before the HC (so of course Jerrah Jones did once).  No coincidence.  Rumors are the Cowboys want him as their OC, but just rumors.

1 hour ago, Blanton said:

Your newsletter. I wish to subscribe to it.