2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Checking in from the front lines of battle to report that the TSAprecheck line was open and took 5 minutes to get through security. Rumors of precheck and Mark twains death have been greatly exaggerated.

This is like saying that because winters are still cold, climate change is a myth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

lol he didn’t write that. You think he knows how to spell “prerogative”? He can’t spell hamburger 

I think the typos and habitual bad spelling will one day be used as evidence in his defense that he’s way too stupid to commit the criminal charges. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

LOL.  Teddy.  The interesting thing about Cruz is he may have won the battle but it appears he's lost the war.  Yea, he won the election and gets 6 more years to pontificate and stroke his peach fuzz and get invited to fancy parties, but he's such a sniveling little weasel who's astounding impotence has been put on blast for the nation to see.  He's a staunch conservative vote with no convictions nor thoughts of his own, so there's that.  He's done on the national scene and seems to have embraced it as he understand just how reviled he is and his baser cowardly nature has seem to permeate everything he does now.  He reminds me of Wormtongue  from LOTR now....

Wouldn't be surprised if he's doing this in 6 years....

giphy.gif

Edited by Patrick Bateman

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/politics/ways-and-means-cancels-hearing-mnuchin/index.html

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has declined to appear before the House Ways and Means Committee on Thursday to testify on 36,000 Internal Revenue Service employees being called back to work without pay, a committee aide told CNN on Wednesday.

Committee Chairman Richard Neal, a Massachusetts Democrat, had called last Thursday for Mnuchin to cut short his scheduled trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, so that he could attend the hearing. The White House announced later that day that the trip had been canceled due to the partial government shutdown.

The committee has canceled the hearing, which would have been focused on the impacts of the shutdown on American taxpayers, the aide said, noting that Neal had spoken to Mnuchin earlier Wednesday.

A person familiar with the conversation between Mnuchin and Neal confirmed the two men had spoken by phone and had a productive conversation on concerns of the chairman regarding the government shutdown and its impact on taxpayers. 

During the call, Mnuchin conveyed his willingness to appear before the committee soon.

27 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

First one down.....

Assume Mitch knows about this just like most here speculated Pelosi knew about Peterson advocating to give Trump border funding..... path to 60 gonna be tough.

Gardner gonna have to break from Trump on things to have hope of re-election.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Assume Mitch knows about this just like most here speculated Pelosi knew about Peterson advocating to give Trump border funding..... path to 60 gonna be tough.

Gardner gonna have to break from Trump on things to have hope of re-election.

Path to 60 is tough.

So is missing a second paycheck.

Let's watch!

Reason #437,812 that this administration is fucking stupid and out of touch with America

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/23/government-shutdown-lara-trump-says-little-bit-pain-worth-border-wall/2660066002/

The president's daughter-in-law is facing criticism after saying the ongoing partial government shutdown may have inflicted a "little bit of pain" on federal employees but is worth it in the fight for a wall along the southern border. 

In an interview with Bold TV this week, Lara Trump, who works as a campaign adviser,  said while the month-long government shutdown has incited a "little bit of pain" but was bigger than anyone and for the good of the country. 

"Listen, it's not fair to you and we all get that but this is so much bigger than any one person," said Trump, who is married to the president's son, Eric. "It is a little bit of pain but it's going to be for the future of our country."

Her message to the 800,000 federal workers who aren't being paid, due to an impasse over President Donald Trump's demand for $5.7 billion to construct a border wall, wasn't received well by those online. 

Many compared her comments and attitude to the phrase, "let them eat cake," which is used to show disregard for those who aren't as fortunate. 

"Lady with lots of money (and food) tells federal workers who aren’t getting paid and can’t afford food for their families to suck it up," wrote Kimberly Johnson, a women's rights activist. 

But Lara Trump argued in her interview with Bold TV that generations to come will "thank them for their sacrifice right now" and encouraged federal employees who haven't been paid to "stay strong." 

"I know it's hard. I know people have families," Trump said. "They have bills to pay, they have mortgages, they have rents that are due, but the president is trying every single day to come up with a good solution here and the reality is it's been something that has gone on for too long and been unaddressed, our immigration system."

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you exclude the falling poll numbers, what incentive does Trump have to reopen the government? 

State of the Union.  Getting up in front of Americans to tell us he opened the government after the "democrat shutdown"... praise me!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you exclude the falling poll numbers, what incentive does Trump have to reopen the government? 

Getting beat bigly versus getting humiliated in 2020  

Florida alone, between the Coast Guard, and the shit-ton of federal employees and contractors, will easily flip, given how close it already was in November.  

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

2020.  Guarantee winning in 2020 is the main thing he cares about.  Remember the shutdown started because coulter convinced him he needed the wall to win in 2020.  Now he’s stuck.  I assume he wouldn’t listen to anyone that he couldn’t push pelosi and Schumer around when he at least needed Schumer at the end of the last term.  Now he needs both.

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Wait, does the "clean funding bill" have the votes now? 

Lmao no.

Sure it'll get 47 Democrats.  Find me 13 Republicans who will vote for it without pissing off Donnie Two Scoops.

Gardner.... maybe Collins? Murkowski? Okay, find me 10 more.  You can't.  Romney? Yeah fucking right.  Sasse? Nope.  Graham? Hell to the no, to the no no no.  McSally?  Nope - she owes her entire appointment to Turtle, she won't cross him this early.

Edited by Js1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Getting beat bigly versus getting humiliated in 2020  

Florida alone, between the Coast Guard, and the shit-ton of federal employees and contractors, will easily flip, given how close it already was in November.  

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

2020.  Guarantee winning in 2020 is the main thing he cares about.  Remember the shutdown started because coulter convinced him he needed the wall to win in 2020.  Now he’s stuck.  I assume he wouldn’t listen to anyone that he couldn’t push pelosi and Schumer around when he at least needed Schumer at the end of the last term.  Now he needs both.

Let’s assume he’s already decided he’s not running in 2020. 

What then? 

I should have worded the question better.

Other than the potential re-election fallout, what incentive does Trump have to reopen the government?

Just now, Js1 said:

Lmao no.

Sure it'll get 47 Democrats.  Find me 13 Republicans who will vote for it without pissing of Donnie Two Scoops.

Gardner.... maybe Collins? Murkowski? Okay, find me 10 more.  You can't.

Those three are publicly saying it.  I could see 4-5 more easily doing it without announcing beforehand, with the reasoning being they are trying to help those suffering.

Some of those red states rely pretty heavily on government services.  And the feds haven’t addressed the millions of people relying on SNAP beyond February 1st.  Texas is already telling SNAP recipients to prepare for the worst.  

That’s  one thing that Trump and the GOP really dropped the ball on - they should have had a plan in place for SNAP.  Of course, Trump would have no idea what that was, and wouldn’t give a shit.  But Republicans in Congress would be extremely aware of it. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lmao no.

Sure it'll get 47 Democrats.  Find me 13 Republicans who will vote for it without pissing off Donnie Two Scoops.

Gardner.... maybe Collins? Murkowski? Okay, find me 10 more.  You can't.  Romney? Yeah fucking right.  Sasse? Nope.  Graham? Hell to the no, to the no no no.  McSally?  Nope - she owes her entire appointment to Turtle, she won't cross him this early.

The votes today will be a great barometer/loyalty test for senate republicans 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas is already telling SNAP recipients to prepare for the worst.  

That’s  one thing that Trump and the GOP really dropped the ball on - they should have had a plan in place for SNAP.  Of course, Trump would have no idea what that was, and wouldn’t give a shit.  But Republicans in Congress would be extremely aware of it. 

Now let's get 1 thing straight here, my friend. 

The GOP doesn't give 2 runny shits about SNAP recipients not getting food.

They will cave when Wal-Mart calls them up and demands they re-open the government because WMT's bottom-line is hurting from people on SNAP not buying their sugar juice and diabetes cereal.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Other than the potential re-election fallout, what incentive does Trump have to reopen the government?

Let’s say he drags it out, and millions lose SNAP benefits, air travel shuts down, tax refunds are delayed, large businesses relying on federal contracts continue to lose money, etc. .   That becomes a significant crisis for those R Senators up in 2020, not to mention R Representatives.  

He loses the support of enough Republican Senators to make any impeachment preceding dicey for him.  

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story