Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

Stopped by the Aldstadt Brewery on the way back in from Garner State Park.  That is an amazing building, I can't imagine how much money the Scripps family put into it.  Clearly it's designed to be more than just a taphouse, they have a large beer hall that they'll use for wedding receptions, multiple other restaurant and pub style spaces, and even a honeymoon suite at the top of the tower that they hope will help make it a destination wedding location.  I'm not sure how all that's going to work out, but it's a beautiful space, regardless.

The beer is nothing special, but it's not terrible. I did really like the Schwarz, and the Pils is easily drinkable and inoffensive.  Kolsch was too sweet, Alt was ok, but something was way off on the Hefe.  

We got a private tour through the brewery itself and they're currently in the process of dramatically increasing capacity and expanding the brewhouse and packaging lines.  They're going to start canning within the next 6-9 months and expect that ultimately their packaged beer will be 80/20 cans-to-bottles.  They're well-resourced and spend a lot of money on production, including importing all of their hops, grains, and yeast from Germany.  They're just not quite hitting the mark on the beer itself.  JMO obviously.

Count me into the "light beer doesn't have to suck" camp.  I mean, Founder's All Day is damn near a light beer.  Less ABV, fewer calories, still tasty as hell.

Agreed. All Day IPA and Oasis’ Metamodern (when I can find it reasonably fresh) are regular purchases for me. Less calories but still the taste.

32 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Agreed. All Day IPA and Oasis’ Metamodern (when I can find it reasonably fresh) are regular purchases for me. Less calories but still the taste.

I'd like to see more beers focus on less sugar, less grain, and more hops.  Some of the haze/juice bomb IPAs just get a bit sweet, and definitely have more calories.  Hops are a good, non-caloric way to flavor up an otherwise really mild beer.

I had some of this recently and it didn't suck at all:

H2OPS_4_Pack.jpg

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Just now, utee94 said:

And I'd like to see brewers concentrate on tasty full-flavored beer, with less hops. :)

Guinness is a delicious, relatively light beer.  

I see that trend coming back around.  Agree on Guinness.  It drives me up the walls when people talk about Guinness and say stuff like "it's thick as motor oil" or "you have to eat it with a spoon".  They clearly have never actually drank it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I see that trend coming back around.  Agree on Guinness.  It drives me up the walls when people talk about Guinness and say stuff like "it's thick as motor oil" or "you have to eat it with a spoon".  They clearly have never actually drank it.

Word.

Idiots around here used to say that Shiner Bock was "what was scraped off the side of the barrel" after their premium golden lager was removed.  Back then, people in general were far less educated about the brewing process, but I can't tell you how many times I had to utter the equivalent of, "That's not how it works.  That's not how ANY of this works." :)

Edited by utee94

I had some Guinness on St. Patrick's Day for the first time in a long time. I always forget how smooth and easy to drink it is.

I had one recently and remember how I always find it bland and remember I don’t care for nitros. Keep trying, but only found a couple I would buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Texas Beer Festival in FairPark today.

Christmas present from my son who was on deployment during that time.

Yesterday we hit Pecan Lodge and then Cidercade( excellent games, but cider is just freaking garbage.)

On 3/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd like to see more beers focus on less sugar, less grain, and more hops.  Some of the haze/juice bomb IPAs just get a bit sweet, and definitely have more calories.  Hops are a good, non-caloric way to flavor up an otherwise really mild beer.

I had some of this recently and it didn't suck at all:

H2OPS_4_Pack.jpg

This intrigued me, but it's as expensive as regular beer!!!

Does make me wonder if I could make my own.

28 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This intrigued me, but it's as expensive as regular beer!!!

Does make me wonder if I could make my own.

That is an interesting idea. With all of the new breweries showing up into the market, new releases, special/seasonal releases, etc. one issue I found with home brewing (especially when making an IPA/hoppy pale) is that I would then have a whole bunch more of beer that needed to be drunk fresher vs later or it drops off in quality.  I like the idea of hop flavored water for those times when I want an additional drink/hoppy taste when watching a game, etc. but don't want the calories.

Edited by mdleast