Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

that sounds fuckin terrible and a nightmare on my acid reflux

I thought it would be horrible, but was told otherwise so I grabbed a bottle. It’s excellent. Very mild sour (think Berliner Weisse) and the tomatillo comes off fruity. Not that acidic at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Christmas, my son got me tix to Texas Beer Fest at the end of March.  Cannot wait!!!

However, the night before, we are going to Cidercade.  I do not typically like fruity beer, with the exception of a very rare glass of a gose in the summer.  I lean very heavily to the porters and stouts of the world.

Any recommendations on cider varieties, or just stick with bottled beer- if they have it?

2 hours ago, slorch said:

For Christmas, my son got me tix to Texas Beer Fest at the end of March.  Cannot wait!!!

However, the night before, we are going to Cidercade.  I do not typically like fruity beer, with the exception of a very rare glass of a gose in the summer.  I lean very heavily to the porters and stouts of the world.

Any recommendations on cider varieties, or just stick with bottled beer- if they have it?

Cidercade didnt have beer when I went a few years ago. They have like 30 varieties of cider on draft... wife and I only tried 8-10 of em, but the ones we had were crushable and very enjoyable

On 2/24/2019 at 12:38 AM, Rimbo said:

11.2oz bottles are the work of Satan.

I should add to this.* I picked up the Guinness/Harp/Smithwick's 18-pack at Costco, and discovered this horror. I mean, it's not the first time I'd seen it, but in the past I've been able to catch the bottle size and wisely move on to a different brew when I've witnessed this bullshit trickery. This time, I got fooled.

Those mother fuckers.

On the bright side, this is the first time I've tried Harp Lager, and it's ... it's really rather good. I may even like it better than the Smithwick's, which is not as good as I remember. After all the weird stouts and ales and weird herb-infused IPAs, it's good to just go to a plain ol' 4-ingredient lager that absolutely rocks.

But what the fuck is up with 11.2 oz. It doesn't even line up with the metric system; for that, it should be 11.3oz, to get 3 bottles to the liter. I'll tell you what it is: It's fuckery. It's bullshit fuckery. It's to make you think you're getting a full 12 oz but to rip you off by under-filling the goddamned bottle.

Let's stop focusing on China and Isis and focus on the real enemy here.

*Maybe I shouldn't, but fuck it. 

Edited by Rimbo

11.2 oz is approximately 33 cl,  which is a common beer pour/bottle size in Europe.  Technically, 33cl = 11.1586 oz but they round up a bit.  It's definitely a Euro thing and quite common over there.   Take a look at your Belgian bottles and many of them will be 33 cl.

Edited by utee94

35 minutes ago, utee94 said:

11.2 oz is approximately 33 cl,  which is a common beer pour/bottle size in Europe.  Technically, 33cl = 11.1586 oz but they round up a bit.  It's definitely a Euro thing and quite common over there.   Take a look at your Belgian bottles and many of them will be 33 cl.

The only Belgian bottles I get are 750ml.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

They also have the recycling, reusing, and sharing of bottles down to a science over their as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife will briefly be in Houston for work on Friday. Are Parish beers available in stores like Spec’s/Whole Foods/Central Market? I wasn’t clear if y’all are getting tap only right now vs also bottles and cans. Likewise, thoughts on if any of the Spindletap limited releases like
Juiceton and Haze Invaders would be in those stores? Also a big fan of their 5% Tint which I assume is readily available (and fresh)? Just picked up Houston Haze while in Austin a couple weeks back and assume that is also readily available. TIA

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

why?

If i want a regular beverage, I'm going tea or Dr Pepper.

If I want a beer, i want a fucking real one...

Overall I'm down with the idea of sessionable beers, but they have to taste really good.  I have my doubts that this one will taste really good.

Lonestar - 4.7% 140 Cal

Lonestar Light - 3.8% 110 Cal

Lonestar 24/7 - 2.1% 68 Cal

Guesses on the first two.

I don’t mind Lonestar probably drink it 1/2 as frequently as Meeler lite especially if it’s a buck cheaper.

Is there really a market for AB Mich Ultra or Bud 55 drinkers(is that still a thing) that wish for a weaker Pabst beer?

Overall I'm down with the idea of sessionable beers, but they have to taste really good.  I have my doubts that this one will taste really good.

Agreed. I am very much for session IPAs/pale ales if they bring the flavor. I love Spindletap’s 5% Tint and regularly buy Founders All Day IPA and Oasis’ Metamodern which are around 4.5% or so. I’ve had a session IPA from Claremont out of California that was only 3.5% but tasted outstanding. That’s what I’d really like to see - low ABV session beers that taste like “the real thing”