Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

So gonna be in Austin this weekend as I mentioned above and trying to figure out if there are any new breweries I should hit up.

Normal stops on most Austin trips are Jester King, Pinthouse, ABW and Hops & Grain. Will probably be going to all of those per usual on this trip.

Have also been to the following at least once:

NXNW
Oskar Blues
Circle
Celis
4th Tap
Southern Heights
Hi Sign (thinking of going there again)
Live Oak (ditto)
ABGB
Blue Owl
Lazarus
Zilker
Independence
St Elmo
Infamous
Oasis
Last Stand
Vista
Family Business

Any other/new breweries recommended? I know there are several others not listed above but, as of the last time I looked a while back, I don’t recall any others that looked especially interesting to me from a quick look. Obviously quality beers is first priority with cool hanging out ambiance being second.

unconfirmed but i heard about celis too. Pretty sure I called that back when they decided to be a global brand and not a regional (or smaller brewery) and focus on their OG beers, which they've undermarketed IMO. Expanding to SK and Japan, i mean, just some woefully stupid shit like that. And all those goofy beers and taking on all that contract brewing, I'm not surprised at all. Christine will find a way to make this float a little longer, but i hope someone buys the brand. 

MILLER TIME BABY!

So gonna be in Austin this weekend as I mentioned above and trying to figure out if there are any new breweries I should hit up.

Normal stops on most Austin trips are Jester King, Pinthouse, ABW and Hops & Grain. Will probably be going to all of those per usual on this trip.

Have also been to the following at least once:

NXNW
Oskar Blues
Circle
Celis
4th Tap
Southern Heights
Hi Sign (thinking of going there again)
Live Oak (ditto)
ABGB
Blue Owl
Lazarus
Zilker
Independence
St Elmo
Infamous
Oasis
Last Stand
Vista
Family Business

Any other/new breweries recommended? I know there are several others not listed above but, as of the last time I looked a while back, I don’t recall any others that looked especially interesting to me from a quick look. Obviously quality beers is first priority with cool hanging out ambiance being second.

Friends and Allies and Austin Eastciders are next door to each other so it’s an easy stop.

Skull Mechanix down south ain’t bad.
  • Like 1

It's a bit like Tonya Harding boxing Paula Jones, but Miller/Coors' response to Bud Light's super bowl ads is interesting to me.
https://www.millercoorsblog.com/news/about-those-bud-light-ads/
Name drops include Russian River and Sierra Nevada.

Reinheitsgebot!

Meeler lite was my favorite “adjunct” lager for a long time until I learned, that tons of the beers I’d come to love are “adjunct” and I should quit using that word.

I don’t think those ads moved the needle for MillerCoors, AB, or even Mich Ultra drinkers. In 2019 does anyone run out because “rice” is healthier than “corn syrup”, I’d have to think the market share for beer drinkers at all moved by those ads is a crazy small market.

RIP - Aspen Edge, you were ahead of your time and missed the keto craze

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The Brewer’s Table is great. Really interesting but drinkable beers. Had a basil tomato beer there that was great. Their craft version of Lone Star is fantastic also.

Brewer's Table happy hour is fuckin great. IIRC, its $7 for a sangwich + a beer at their outside bar.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, Bottlecap said:

unconfirmed but i heard about celis too. Pretty sure I called that back when they decided to be a global brand and not a regional (or smaller brewery) and focus on their OG beers, which they've undermarketed IMO. Expanding to SK and Japan, i mean, just some woefully stupid shit like that. And all those goofy beers and taking on all that contract brewing, I'm not surprised at all. Christine will find a way to make this float a little longer, but i hope someone buys the brand. 

MILLER TIME BABY!

Seriously?

On 2/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, CooterBrown said:

If Celis goes that takes Lake Austin Ales with it since they were contract brewing?

On 2/6/2019 at 7:57 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Aren’t they making uncle Billy’s too?

Thought they did pedernales brewing as well.  I'd figure the contract brewing would be able to keep them afloat.  Anyways, like the beers, but won't miss them either.  Tons of stuff to fill the void.

What is NXNW doing with there equipment from Slaughter location?  And according to their Wefunder, the canning was all done south.  The construction couldn't have helped but I don't think it was enough to put them out of business, but a convenient excuse.

Side note: Glad I didn't do that Wefunder. I did get in on Hops & Grain San Marcos (hey I've made worse investment decisions...anybody else?).  Josh Hare has been saying "any day now" for over a year.  But they really should be close now.  Maybe...

41 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

meaning the taproom? it costs nothing to run a taproom. i don’t see how that could possibly make sense if you’re keeping the building.

I mean, it was a full service scratch restaurant with forks and knives and a waitstaff and cooks and everything. I imagine that has to cost something to operate. They're probably locked into a lease that they're unwilling to break and making due with the production/manufacturing side. I don't really know, just what i've heard.

Good recs in this thread. Yesterday we hit up the new Pinthouse in Round Rock. That place is huge. They said both other locations would fit inside of it and I believe it.

4093ee1db2bba36c7bb36b8d65e0af69.jpg

180659da73acbcfedff689b8575c10af.jpg

17d04a03a29786e37fd5344be7f59fd2.jpg

58674ea32ba4f89bae59a8a5f68b0c1d.jpg

Checked out Oddwood. Very tasty beers and a cool setup.

ea9ed546c2b15eb860ab25433ba4c8e3.jpg

97092670f21e8e55d8e4f4668866e1fe.jpg

9a9ad258a4a392d904d403a596a6ebf6.jpg

8c2d1b0bf4d9b4a15774c2c83a6c121f.jpg

Also checked out Brewer’s Table. Very cool and we were very tempted to eat there but had decided we would check out the Franklin/Uichi collaboration at Loro. Need to come back and try the food here too.

2e6b14cfc49ae3a622504e141b2c039a.jpg

6c607ea61c85e95f550f2ba0b4cf8646.jpg

Also had brief stops by Hops & Grain and Batch Kolaches.

Today is a pretty lazy day with stops at Live Oak

ced7975e4488d7a30e5c1dcc9a6660cd.jpg

cd312fa4deae5a2840938568fc6c3b1f.jpg

and Hi Sign

84c384336b007c9246990f06d9f80791.jpg

b0e5948d882a1e4ad3642c1c455bd973.jpg

6dd5a24bdbaf695f78de377c9985a4b1.jpg

7a3c31d1032ea0363ce4c9267fa02788.jpg

Probably gonna swing by ABW as per usual before tonight’s festivities (never miss a Master Pancake mock when in town).

Good beer times...

• Like 3