Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

The prices never drop on anything around here. Black Crack will sit on shelves for a year at $10.99/can.

I do think craft beer is going to be heading for a little bit of a price correction on the high end stuff. Everyone is in to 16oz hazy cans for $4-$5 a piece, not as much $20+ bombers. Founders was leading the way on the price gouging bombers the past 2 years.
  • Like 2

I actually liked Wizardry back when I had it last May at their anniversary party when they first released it. So I wonder either if we have different taste in stouts (entirely possible and perhaps I’m not as refined on barrel aged stouts anymore) or is it possible it’s the rare barrel aged stout that doesn’t hold up as well to age? Probably the former but maybe the latter? Of course, let me also offer up that maybe I’ve warped my palate (as I’m drinking this as I type):

2db6662440dea348ec86ffb71ce7ba65.jpg

b2dee84649e36a01926a001cb45e843c.jpg

Well then get some of this from Moonraker Brewing in Auburn, California.

Got to talking to the bartender, and says he literally drives hundreds of miles a year to go to different breweries to buy beer for the store. They’re getting a Hill Farmstead keg and a keg from Cantillon in the next few weeks. DO THEY HAVE THOSE IN BOISE TOO?!?!

On 3/15/2019 at 3:29 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Double IPA brewed with pineapple juice. Normally not my thing, but fuck is this good.dbeb536e43a5c952bedd3fe7a362ec5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they have a knack for fruit infusion.

My wife and I (mostly her) are friends with the owners.  Went down there in the fall for the first time, just to visit Pulpit Rock and TG (I was generally surprised at how much more I preferred PR to TG in every aspect but that's another post).  I had a beer there called Banana Straws, which is a sour brewed with bananas and strawberries. Sounds gross right?  Instantly became a top 5 all time beer for me and the couple of times I've had it since has only confirmed that opinion

• Like 1

I think they have a knack for fruit infusion.
My wife and I (mostly her) are friends with the owners.  Went down there in the fall for the first time, just to visit Pulpit Rock and TG (I was generally surprised at how much more I preferred PR to TG in every aspect but that's another post).  I had a beer there called Banana Straws, which is a sour brewed with bananas and strawberries. Sounds gross right?  Instantly became a top 5 all time beer for me and the couple of times I've had it since has only confirmed that opinion

Banana Straws is great. I assume you’re friends with Pete? I don’t know him well, but have met.

I know Bob and Teff (head brewers) well. Teff and I went to ISU together, and my wife worked at TG back when they were all there (Chelsea - tap room manage, and Mike - assistant brewer are TG alums as well).

I hardly ever go to TG any more. I drink their beer regularly (it’s on tap everywhere here), but the giant tap room thing isn’t my scene. Pulpit makes a wider variety of beers, and it’s probably better, plus I vastly prefer the taproom (right next to where I mountain bike and trail ride). Lastly, Pulpit’s better people. Clark Lewey is one of the biggest pieces of shit I know.

I hardly ever go to TG any more. I drink their beer regularly (it’s on tap everywhere here), but the giant tap room thing isn’t my scene. Pulpit makes a wider variety of beers, and it’s probably better, plus I vastly prefer the taproom (right next to where I mountain bike and trail ride). Lastly, Pulpit’s better people. Clark Lewey is one of the biggest pieces of shit I know.

Quick story on that- and maybe this will spin off into a broader conversation about how to act in an establishment that you own.

We went to Pulpit Rock first and had one or two before Pete's wife joined us.  She greeted us and then went to the bar to order a drink for herself but immediately came back, stating the bartenders were busy and she would wait.  Once it died down, she went back up, ordered her beer, and paid for it in cash (plus tip).  Pete joined us a little later and did the same thing.  An unknowing patron wouldn't have guessed in a million years that they were the owners.

Fast forward a couple hours and we said goodbye to go check out Toppling Goliath. It's a huge place, but was busy so we sat at the bar.  There were about 3 bartenders behind the bar but we kept noticing that a random guy kept coming down from upstairs, going behind the bar, pouring beers, and walking out to rejoin his group (Eventually. Sometimes he just stood there drinking a while).  Not once did he pay, or enter anything in the POS system.  The bartenders put up with him but he was clearly in the way and causing a distraction on a busy night. At one point, my wife looked over to me and said "man that guy's walking around here like he owns the place".  A quick google search confirmed that he did.

I didn't know anything at the time about Clark Lewey (I've heard plenty since), but the difference between his behavior and what we had just witnessed from the Espinosas was shocking.

• Like 1

Quick story on that- and maybe this will spin off into a broader conversation about how to act in an establishment that you own.
We went to Pulpit Rock first and had one or two before Pete's wife joined us.  She greeted us and then went to the bar to order a drink for herself but immediately came back, stating the bartenders were busy and she would wait.  Once it died down, she went back up, ordered her beer, and paid for it in cash (plus tip).  Pete joined us a little later and did the same thing.  An unknowing patron wouldn't have guessed in a million years that they were the owners.
Fast forward a couple hours and we said goodbye to go check out Toppling Goliath. It's a huge place, but was busy so we sat at the bar.  There were about 3 bartenders behind the bar but we kept noticing that a random guy kept coming down from upstairs, going behind the bar, pouring beers, and walking out to rejoin his group (Eventually. Sometimes he just stood there drinking a while).  Not once did he pay, or enter anything in the POS system.  The bartenders put up with him but he was clearly in the way and causing a distraction on a busy night. At one point, my wife looked over to me and said "man that guy's walking around here like he owns the place".  A quick google search confirmed that he did.
I didn't know anything at the time about Clark Lewey (I've heard plenty since), but the difference between his behavior and what we had just witnessed from the Espinosas was shocking.

Yeah, that example sums it about perfectly.

TG is just waiting for the InBev check at this point.

TG to Pulpit is very analogous to Surly to Barrel Theory, IMO.