Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

Pretty good little beer Saturday and Sunday in Austin centered around going to the spring game.

After driving through some of the heaviest rain I’ve ever driven through, we had Pinthouse Round Rock on the way into town (pretty sure this will be the new go-to lunch on the way in). Tasty drinks (including Nomera) and a 4 pack to go (wish they had the Electric Jellyfish cans in stock)

1cc45143417267a33ed1eed7c3e93ad0.jpg

a875f5a04a756a85bb88f43d3f640d2e.jpg

Hit up Oddwood and was able to enjoy their anniversary It’s All in the Reflexes sour among others.

dcb63ee26e58c009f3c1b47918e69d25.jpg

Also stopped by Zilker (after picking up some beers to go at East 1st Grocery) for their 4th anniversary IPA among others (and, as referenced earlier, note the sticker)

2c8b551c57e373b668e157e233dd1420.jpg

I had absolutely zero beers at the spring game as the selection I saw was all trash.

This morning, per usual, we hit up Jester King right when they opened at noon for drinks and ambiance. The Detritivore farmhouse ale was tasty and the Spon Muscat lambic was quite tasty.

b5453c03b53c3a9c5c294b338f6bbcd5.jpg

aa582f7c40935de110b174c008911aa0.jpg

ac23993956eeea2c1f1fff27a06e3ae8.jpg

Pretty good little weekend. Pretty good.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, elguapo said:

My comment was "Fuck TABC", should we be happy that they have these ridiculous labeling laws?

Eh. The licensing division of TABC doesn't bother me too much. Its the fake badge and gun division who sucks whole ass. They should ship more of those chuds over to a desk job so that licensing snags like Heineken's Waldo Beer doesn't have hiccups entering Texas. Lagunitas has been in Texas for YEAARS and have often sent Waldo over, so I'm gonna go ahead and blame them for any potential fuck up. Multi-billionaire big beer cohorts should know better. Plus, its not that special of a beer, tbpfh

35 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Eh. The licensing division of TABC doesn't bother me too much. Its the fake badge and gun division who sucks whole ass. They should ship more of those chuds over to a desk job so that licensing snags like Heineken's Waldo Beer doesn't have hiccups entering Texas. Lagunitas has been in Texas for YEAARS and have often sent Waldo over, so I'm gonna go ahead and blame them for any potential fuck up. Multi-billionaire big beer cohorts should know better. Plus, its not that special of a beer, tbpfh

It's a good to great high ABV west coast style DIPA.  That may not be your thing lagerboy but I don't know of many comparable local/regional options for that style in cans or bottles.  If you know of some please rec them. (that are readily available fresh, not 1+ month old)

The closest I've had from a local brewery is ABW Heavy Machinery DIPA and PHP Fully Adrift (though its been a bit more hazy with recent releases), both seasonal.

Edited by elguapo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

We did J Wakefield last year when we visited. I don’t think they sell any at retail; certainly it’s not widely available if they do. Good stuff though.

Wynwood and J Wake are the only 2 that I like in Miami. J Wakefield's retail offerings aren't that plentiful but you can find their stuff on draft in most parts of the state

Wynwood and J Wake are the only 2 that I like in Miami. J Wakefield's retail offerings aren't that plentiful but you can find their stuff on draft in most parts of the state

Is Concrete Beach the same as Wynnwood or are they separate breweries?

The Lager was good but nothing special.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Is Concrete Beach the same as Wynnwood or are they separate breweries?

The Lager was good but nothing special.

To my knowledge they are separate. If memory serves, Concrete Beach is part of the A&S group that is owned by Boston Beer Company. Wynwood is still independent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Pretty sure wynwood is part of Craft Brew Alliance.  Which is 30% owned by AB InBev 

They sure are. Looks like the transaction happened in Fall 2018. I wasn't aware of that. 

Biscayne Bay is another decent brewery down that way. The only South Florida brewery I'll go out of my way for is Civil Society in Jupiter.

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also

0d3b3a7e21f01b8a27e374642df2dbe4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neg away if I'm wrong, but I think somebody complained about Henry James just posting a picture of a beer and not offering any other information or opinion about it.  So now he post a picture of a beer imo.  

• Haha 1

f157b2d8e3cff4b75ea081ad79129193.jpg

Today we're celebrating the birthday of our taproom manager Rachel with a very special beer, Glitterboyz! She worked with James Herrington to craft a sour ale, then added 1 pound of blue raspberry sour candy straws per gallon. Obviously they had to finish this Wonka-style concoction with edible glitter for that extra bit of whimsy! Glitter is extremely hard to photograph, but when you get a pour and hold it up to the light, you'll see lots of sparkle. This beer smells like pure candy and has the exact same mouth-puckering flavor as the straws. There are only about 3 gallons of this extremely limited brew, so we are allowing one 5oz pour per person. It is unlikely that it will last beyond tonight, so make sure to stop by and try it!

Tonight's food is from Bad Spanish Tacos. They craft mouthwatering authentic street tacos from slow smoked meats, hand-pressed tortillas, and homemade salsas. Skip the restaurant,
and come get dinner and a beer in the taproom, you'll be happy you did!

#brewery #birthday #sourale #sourbeer #candy #tacos #ipa #stout #beergeek #fun #craftbeer