Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

On 5/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

New Magnolia brewing is opening up in Houston heights in future

Megaton Brewing opened last month

Astral Brewing now open

True Anomaly brewing now open

Fortress Brewing now open

New Orleans’ Urban South Brewing planning to open satellite location in Sawyer Yards

I hit Megaton Saturday night...

megaton.jpg

Like many breweries in their early incarnation, the Megaton beers were Ok, but nothing to write home about. The beer in the foreground was their Wastelander Grand Cru, which was the best of the 4 I had in the sampler. However, the place itself was nice....big indoor tap room with an obvious steampunk theme with pool, airhockey, video games, and a big screen TV as well as a nice outdoor area with a food truck, games, and live music. Stay open late too....until midnight on Sat nights which is definitely different from a lot of the other taprooms.  Drew a pretty nice crowd for the Rockets game plus the weather was really nice Sat night. It will probably thrive on being a place to be while they get their feet under them from a brewing perspective. Would go back, especially as they hopefully broaden their options. 

In the cases where the sellouts don't adjust the recipes to make them cheaper and crappier to appease their macrobrew overlords, I don't have any problem with the beer itself.

But I do have a problem with some of the macrobrew companies that engage in some pretty severe anti-competitive behaviors in order to choke out the smaller breweries.  ABInbev has been thoroughly documented in doing some extremely shady things in the marketplace.  I don't recall anything specific that Heineken has done, but nothing would surprise me.  There are so many great ACTUAL small, local craft beers, that I don't ever feel the need to buy from the sellouts.  That's my personal choice, others are always free to do as they wish.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In the cases where the sellouts don't adjust the recipes to make them cheaper and crappier to appease their macrobrew overlords, I don't have any problem with the beer itself.

But I do have a problem with some of the macrobrew companies that engage in some pretty severe anti-competitive behaviors in order to choke out the smaller breweries.  ABInbev has been thoroughly documented in doing some extremely shady things in the marketplace.  I don't recall anything specific that Heineken has done, but nothing would surprise me.  There are so many great ACTUAL small, local craft beers, that I don't ever feel the need to buy from the sellouts.  That's my personal choice, others are always free to do as they wish.

I don't really feel the need to buy from the sellouts, but none of my local guys are doing low ABV hoppy stuff in cans.  There are certain scenarios where the macros make more sense for me.  Plus, a friend of mine's son works for Lagunitas in Chicago, so I end up drinking a fair amount of it for free whenever he gets dumps.

Lagunitas makes good beer yet, and Goose Island is actually better (IMO), but I'm definitely aware of the shitbag marketplace practices that ABInbev engages in, and it does cross my mind when I purchase.

Yeah I don't really like Lagunitas beers, and the only Goose Island I ever tried was just ok, so I'm good without either.  Closer to home, Karbach was ok for a couple of their beers, but there's plenty of better ones so no need for me to buy any of that either.

About the only macro-owned beer I 've wanted to buy in the past decade was Hoegaarden Witbier, but once Celis came back and re-released their White, I had no need for that, either. 

SFO further cementing its place as best beer airport. There’s also a restaurant in the Alaska terminal (Cat Cora’s Kitchen) that alway has a rotating IPA from Fieldwork. In that same terminal the Napa Market store which is inside the terminal past security has beers you can buy and take on the plane with you/back home. The selection isn’t anything that great but I like having that option.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:28 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't really feel the need to buy from the sellouts, but none of my local guys are doing low ABV hoppy stuff in cans.  There are certain scenarios where the macros make more sense for me.  Plus, a friend of mine's son works for Lagunitas in Chicago, so I end up drinking a fair amount of it for free whenever he gets dumps.

Lagunitas makes good beer yet, and Goose Island is actually better (IMO), but I'm definitely aware of the shitbag marketplace practices that ABInbev engages in, and it does cross my mind when I purchase.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Holy Mountain and Fremont

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Reuben’s Brews

56 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

And Cloudburst 

All of these, plus Stoup is right around the block from Reuben's Brews, so if you're already in that neighborhood ...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

All of these, plus Stoup is right around the block from Reuben's Brews, so if you're already in that neighborhood ...

There is a bunch in this neighborhood now, Obec is a couple of buildings down from Stoup. Populuxe and Lucky Envelope are block or two away as well.