2019 Body Transformation Thread

15 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Anyone else notice their taste for spicy foods has increased during keto? Overdid it with sriracha and jalapenos yesterday. Need to find the shart thread.

That and sodium.  I went through a gallon of pickle juice in a little over 2 weeks.  I used to drink a lot of pickle juice when I played beach volleyball all day.  I guess I crave it when I'm overly dehydrated.  

For those that like the taste, you can actually buy the pickle juice sans pickles on Amazon.  Great for me because, coincidentally, I don't like pickles.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I'm about done with week 5 with no cheats. I ordered a pizza last night and just scraped off the topping. Hardest fucking thing I have ever put myself through. It tasted amazing, but holeee sheeet was it difficult looking at that crust. 

But, I did it and I'm down about 12 pounds just short of 6 weeks, so I'm liking that progress. Slow and steady. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I'm about done with week 5 with no cheats. I ordered a pizza last night and just scraped off the topping. Hardest fucking thing I have ever put myself through. It tasted amazing, but holeee sheeet was it difficult looking at that crust. 

But, I did it and I'm down about 12 pounds just short of 6 weeks, so I'm liking that progress. Slow and steady. 

I think it was on last years thread I mentioned going to KFC for just some chicken and they threw one of their biscuits in. Lol, that was a tough one to toss but I did it. I may have cried a bit.

The bottom 2 of that pack are the difficult ones to get rid of.

If I get a 4 pack I’ll go snip and tuck for the last 2. I wanna be on a surf board with a wash board stomach (well not grossly muscular - you know what I meant). #lifegoals

Finished a diet bet on Friday.  It was 9 weeks long.  I dropped from 269.6lbs to 241.6lbs, which was good enough for 2nd place among the men (and 1st overall in total weight lost).  That was entirely from logging calories and restricting my diet.  I feel so much better already, but I'm due to start going back to the gym to increase my daily calorie burn.  Being strapped to a desk 8+ hours a day feels like death sentence.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I'm in as of today.  Cutting the drinking waaaaayyyyyyyyy back, and starting to eat healthy and exercise.  I feel like shit, and I am tired of feeling like shit.

Good for you. I’ll echo my previous advice from last year’s thread. Will power is a muscle, so don’t overwhelm yourself by taking on too much at once. Tackle one or two new habits at a time and build from there. Maybe start walking a few days a week and cutting back on soft drinks. etc etc. 

• Like 1

The calorie as a scientific measurement is not in dispute. But calculating the exact calorific content of food is far harder than the confidently precise numbers displayed on food packets suggest. Two items of food with identical calorific values may be digested in very different ways. Each body processes calories differently. Even for a single individual, the time of day that you eat matters. The more we probe, the more we realise that tallying calories will do little to help us control our weight or even maintain a healthy diet: the beguiling simplicity of counting calories in and calories out is dangerously flawed.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/death-of-the-calorie?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=website

Sxsw was a shitshow. Pizza, beer (lots of it), tacos galore and two crawfish boils. Ice cream, you name it - off the rails. Gained 9 lbs!! I figured 7 was water and carb inflammation.

Okay back hard core - keto style this week. Four days in and a new weight loss low. Total losses at 20 lbs total. I’m a hair away from crossing a major mile stone and I might be less than 10 lbs away from where I want to be. And if I lose 12 lbs I’ll be at my lowest weight since 2007.

Wife and I have decided to try a supplement program. Anyone else done Isogenix?

I’m still fucking up my diet. I’ve stalled at 218. I need something that is preplanned and I can take with me easily. Shakes and already made snacks. I’ll let the group know how it goes.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:27 AM, slorch said:

I don't count calories.  Just carbs.  But I'm not trying to pig out either...

Finishing up first week on the diet( for the 3rd year in a row. Already committed to keeping it off going forward.) The first week is always the toughest for me, especially getting my gut/ bowels regulated. Had a regular movement on Monday and then not again until Friday.  Yesterday morning, I'm feeling gassy and bloated, which is strange because keto generally makes me far less gassy.  Then i practically gave birth... hopefully I'm getting out of these gigantic swings on that front.

Avocados are on sale everywhere here, so the big ones are $.77 at HEB.  That's where most of my carbs for the day come from, along with some spinach.

I am not weighing until about May 1 or so.  One thing i hated about the weight loss contests the past 2 years was the constant weighing and checking progress. I'll just wait for the clothes the start fitting better...along with folks asking if I've lost weight, " hey you're not a fatass like you were..."   "yeah, thanks for noticing...I think."

I started Keto on February 8th after I couldn't fit into a vest I have worn for years.   I hung the vest by my door like a shrine to keep me on task.  Got on the scale and I was 200lbs on the dot, the most I have ever weighed before.  I am 50 years old and I feel better than I have in a long time.    In addition to Keto I have worked out with a variety of methods for at least 5 days a week for an hour.  I don't do fat bombs and am regularly over my allotment in protein and low on fat but this is working for me.  I get most of my fat from avocados.

I eat all the time and until I am full and repeat.  My wife (also 50) who started Keto with me is much more moderate in portions but has had great results as well.

I had the same issues with movements for about 3 weeks where I would go a couple of days with nothing.  Now I am completely regular.  Wife had the opposite result going several times a day the first two weeks.

I am more concerned with my body shape than I am with weight.  I get on the scales less than once a week.  I am down to 184lbs as of this morning but the biggest difference is I lost over 9 inches around my stomach as of March 3rd and I may be stronger than I have been in my life.  I will measure again the first week of April.

My cheat is wine but I drink a lot less than I used to.

Keep it up and good luck. 

By the way, I was getting in a slight rut eating the same things over and over.   All things I liked but still.   The book "Simply Keto" was recommended to me and it is a game changer.  I highly recommend it.

• Like 6

Gotta go back and read this whole thread..but FINALLY back on the keto train. Down 10lbs in a week. Did a 7 day celery juice first thing in the morning to help kick off this time.  Can't say the newfound popularity of Celery has much truth in my instance..maybe better skin and hair or flushing toxins.. but that might be from eating better also. 

And the most important thing.. I could tighten up the belt a notch today.. which i was about to have to buy a new belt (and pants..and shirts) instead. 

12 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

What is your go to foods in Singapore? I guessing a lot of seafood?

Singapore is a blend of Chinese / Malay / Indonesian / Indian. There is seafood, but not as much as you would think. The waters around the Island aren't great for fishing (or swimming).

Singapore food culture is one of the best in the world for other things.

19 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Gotta go back and read this whole thread..but FINALLY back on the keto train. Down 10lbs in a week. Did a 7 day celery juice first thing in the morning to help kick off this time.  Can't say the newfound popularity of Celery has much truth in my instance..maybe better skin and hair or flushing toxins.. but that might be from eating better also. 

And the most important thing.. I could tighten up the belt a notch today.. which i was about to have to buy a new belt (and pants..and shirts) instead. 

Nice, any diet or effort to lose is the first step. Keto has been proven great for skin, which you already know. Good luck and keep after it. We all start, stop, and star again, just the way it is. I find Keto sustainable, others don't, find what works for you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Nice, any diet or effort to lose is the first step. Keto has been proven great for skin, which you already know. Good luck and keep after it. We all start, stop, and star again, just the way it is. I find Keto sustainable, others don't, find what works for you. 

It's all about understanding you will have setbacks in life...and all the decisions that put this weight on(start 235. now 225. goal 185) won't just disappear in a week. 

But i also know I'm gonna enjoy life some in between the goals. Like this weekend is Big Texas Beer Fest. I'll be there at both days. But come sunday, I'll be back on the wagon. 

Last year, I let one decision to go meet a beer rep and drink beer and eat a fried chicken biscuit..and I never got back on the wagon. 

I'm enjoying how I'm feeling and the difference I'm seeing. Last week I ran several miles per day as a start. Gotta get back on that tomorrow (donated blood today). 

2 minutes ago, msudawg said:

But i also know I'm gonna enjoy life some in between the goals. Like this weekend is Big Texas Beer Fest. I'll be there at both days. But come sunday, I'll be back on the wagon. 

Agree with you completely, you have to find the balance. And no issues with your Beer Fest, enjoy. The issue with most people is this, I am going to Beer Fest, so I will restart the next day, then comes the next excuse, etc. never ending. I know this because I spent my life doing this, but if you can get right back on track, do it. Just a slippery slope that I have failed for most of my life. 

11 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Agree with you completely, you have to find the balance. And no issues with your Beer Fest, enjoy. The issue with most people is this, I am going to Beer Fest, so I will restart the next day, then comes the next excuse, etc. never ending. I know this because I spent my life doing this, but if you can get right back on track, do it. Just a slippery slope that I have failed for most of my life. 

True. Honestly it might be Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Sunday will be a recovery day (especially since keto reduces beer tolerance), So i might start back that day..or I might skip it since the next day the non-profit I work with. Operation Valor, will be putting on a golf tournament with BBQ after.  Either way, Tuesday I will either start a few days of celery juice again or just start right back into Keto again. As you say, make a plan and don't let excuses throw you off. As I know all too well in my life, I have a ton of friends in the Craft Beer industry up here..and that's been a big part of my weigh gain over the past few years. 

• Like 1

I weighed in today at 308, down 62 pounds since Nov 12th. 8 more lbs to go to hit a major milestone. I'm hoping to hit that in the 2nd week of April.

That’s absolutely bad ass. This is gonna sound stupid, but do you feel better? I’ve only lost about 12 lbs this year and I can tell.

53 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s absolutely bad ass. This is gonna sound stupid, but do you feel better? I’ve only lost about 12 lbs this year and I can tell.

This is just one small example - on the way to work I take the subway. There are 3 long escalators to exit to station. I use to be embarrassed because I would get winded walking up 1 (and walking kind of slowly). Now I power walk up all 3 with no problem. The other day in the gym, I got lost in thought on the exercise bike, when I looked down I had done 10k, no problems.

I also have been playing basketball after work with much younger guys. I still have no vert but I can at least play competitively now.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

It's amazing how quickly, and how easily, you can notice improvements in cardio, resting heart rate and general "feeling good."  Makes me regret my 30's.

Same here. The complacency of marriage made me neglect my physical conditioning in my 30s. Started getting back into shape and drinking less on the eve of my 40s, and at 44 I might be in the best shape of my life.

• Like 1

Same here. The complacency of marriage made me neglect my physical conditioning in my 30s. Started getting back into shape and drinking less on the eve of my 40s, and at 44 I might be in the best shape of my life.

43 and same here.

Good news about exercising later in life:

If people start to exercise in midlife, even if they have not worked out for years, they can rapidly gain most of the longevity benefits of working out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/well/move/what-your-exercise-habits-might-say-about-how-long-youll-live.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage

What Your Exercise Habits Might Say About How Long You’ll Live

If people start to exercise in midlife, even if they have not worked out for years, they can rapidly gain most of the longevity benefits of working out.

• March 27, 2019
    •  

A new study offers both hope and a subtle nudge to anyone who has slacked off on exercise in recent years. It finds that if people start to exercise in midlife, even if they have not worked out for years, they can rapidly gain most of the longevity benefits of working out.

But the reverse is also true, the study finds. Stop exercising and those longevity benefits shrink or evaporate.

We already have plenty of evidence that exercise affects how long and well we live. I’ve written about studies showing that older athletes develop and retain stronger bones, brains, hearts, muscles and immune systems than people of the same age who rarely work out.

On a broader scale, epidemiological studies yoke frequent exercise to prolonged life spans, underscoring that active people are much less likely than the inactive to die prematurely.

Advertisement

But most of those studies have looked at people and their exercise habits only once in their lives, rarely delving into what happens as someone’s workout routine waxes or wanes across the decades.

So, for the new study, which was published this month in JAMA Network Open, researchers with the National Cancer Institute and other agencies turned to data from the N.I.H.-AARP Diet and Health Study, which helpfully had long pried into how people occupy their leisure time.

The N.I.H.-AARP Diet and Health study began in 1995, enrolling hundreds of thousands of men and women between 50 and 71 years old and asking them to complete a series of questionnaires about their health.

One of these went into detail about the volunteers’ physical activities throughout their lives, asking them to recall how frequently they had walked, played sports, jogged or otherwise worked out. The questionnaire focused primarily on deliberate exercise, but also covered incidental physical activity like household chores or yardwork.

The questionnaire covered almost all points of the participants’ lives, asking about their teen years, then young adulthood from 19 to 29, fuller adulthood during their 30s and, finally, the past 10 years, when the volunteers would have been between 40 and 61

In the new study, the researchers drew the records of replies for 315,059 of the men and women, most of whom had completed their questionnaires about 13 years before. They checked answers and categorized people according to their reported exercise habits and whether and how they had altered over the years.

Some of the men and women said they had been unwavering in their workout routines, spending about as many — or few — hours exercising in midlife as when they had been teenagers.

Others had been active when young but tailed off as adults, remaining mostly sedentary during middle age. And a few had exercised often as teenagers and young adults, slowed or stopped as adults, but returned to regular exercise later in life.

Finally, the researchers checked the National Death Index for deaths and their causes among the participants in the years since they had joined the health study and compared the risks of dying among the different groups. (They controlled for body mass, smoking and other health factors.)

Not surprisingly, those men and women who had been sedentary throughout their lives were the most likely now to have died, particularly from heart disease.

But those people who always had been active, exercising consistently for a few hours a week, were about 30 to 35 percent less likely to have passed away from any cause and about 40 percent less likely to have died of a heart attack than the consistently inactive people.

More buoying, people who had stopped exercising for a decade or two but begun again during their 40s or 50s, working out then for a few hours a week, shared the same relative protection against premature death as the people who always had exercised.

On the flip side, people who had been active and in shape as teenagers or young adults but sedentary in middle age seemed to lose any longevity benefits. They were as likely as the always-inactive group to have died.

Of course, this study relied on people’s recall of their past behavior, which can be notoriously unreliable. It also is observational and can tell us that exercise in middle age is associated with a longer life, but not whether exercise causes us to live longer. Other factors are likely to be involved, including our diets, wealth, weight, general health and genes.

Still, the message of the findings is twofold, says Pedro Saint-Maurice, a postdoctoral fellow at the National Cancer Institute who conducted the study with Charles Matthews and others.

“If you are active now, keep being active,” whatever your age, he says. “And if you have not been active lately, it seems that it is not too late, even if you are in midlife” to start exercising and reap the benefits for longevity.

• Like 1

I'll add that I was surprised in my late 30s how easy it was to quickly put on 10-15 pounds of lean muscle mass.  I'm not going for a bodybuilder physique by any stretch of the imagination, but it was notice to see those kind of gains after being untoned and soft around the edges for much of my 30s.

10 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Heading toward being in great shape too at 41. Down to 217 from 240 in Jan.

Been a week on the shakes and snacks. The wife and I really like it. It has taken the guess work out of portions and over eating.

Keep up the good work folks.

Which shakes and snacks? Good work, by the way.

I'm 42 and just finished up week 8 and am down from 220 to 200. Scale dipped down to 198 one day, so that was nice to see for the first time under 2 bills in a year or so. 

I feel great and will keep doing this keto thing. Really is a different kind of physical feeling than I've had in a long time.

Jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree. 

We tried Keto. We tried the 30 day something or other. A buddy of mine sells Isagenix, so I hit him up and give it a try. We went all in for this round - vitamins, shakes, snacks and other concoctions. I’ve already cut one of the pills out, as it gave me a headache.

The not having to meal prep for lunches and not over eating is the biggest thing for us. I never thought I’d do a shake plan, but we (especially her) have been getting desperate for something that worked for us. I was stuck at 222 for a month and I’m finally moving again.

We have a shake for breakfast and lunch and a healthy dinner. Dinners were not a problem for us.

17 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I never played football in high school and my fatass had never squatted before.

I did ass to grass squats for the first time this morning and I can barely walk.

203.6 this AM. Nice job everyone.

To further this discussion, I had always done some squat variant but never true squats