2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

I love the spin Marc Vandermeer and the other propagandists are trying to sell us with the garbage pick. How can an organization be this stupid. I’m have had an awful fucking week. What the fuck God on giving me this shitburger.  I’m not Jesus. I have a breaking point.

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I love the spin Marc Vandermeer and the other propagandists are trying to sell us with the garbage pick. How can an organization be this stupid. I’m have had an awful fucking week. What the fuck God on giving me this shitburger.  I’m not Jesus. I have a breaking point.

Zierlein isn't a Texans propagandist. It was a reach, it wasn't a terrible pick like Travis Johnson or Amobi Okoye.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Zierlein isn't a Texans propagandist. It was a reach, it wasn't a terrible pick like Travis Johnson or Amobi Okoye.

Yeah we can hope man. I just think we could have gotten him with a 2nd. I just don’t understand how NFL teams continue to fuck themselves worse than any one of us being in charge of the picks. It’s just so disappointing. I wanted something to look forward to. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Overview

Ascending tackle prospect who will require additional work with technique and in the weight room to fully realize his potential. Howard is a gifted athlete with rare quickness and fluidity as both a run and pass blocker and his play issues are correctable with more work. While he will be dinged for level of competition, his upside was on full display with his play against Auburn. He needs development, but he's much more than a developmental prospect and could find a starter's spot within his first two years.

So basically they are praying that Kalil holds down the spot for a year while this kid develops.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Who the fuck knows?

This is the only answer.  

I’m not as upset at the pick as I am about being outmaneuvered and jumped for our target one pick away. It happens. All. The. Time. 

Garropolo. Lockett. Bridgewater. Our front office has the worst poker face in the NFL. 

But yeah, who the fuck knows how this guy turns out. He looks the part, and could have a mean streak that he uses to prove everyone wrong. Is it muuuuuch more likely he’s Davenport (not a 7th round flier, by the way IT - we took him in the 4th round) or Newton? Of course.  

But who the fuck knows? Other than we certainly had Dillard targeted and stolen right from under our noses. Per usual. 

• Like 1

Terrible pick. You can’t let your guy (Dillard) get away like that. Inexcusable

At the very least you sell the pick and move back, this is how NFL teams fail... missing in the draft and not getting value at your slot. Texans did a miracle last year getting Reid and Coutee. Probably need to take two OL in 2nd round now and hope CB works out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Minister of Propaganda Vandermeer almost induced me to have a fit of road rage this morning listening to the bullshit spin on trying to put lipstick on a pig. I fucking hate him. Mike Meltser was spot on in his analysis. The Texans have no urgency and don’t seem aware of the fact they need to maximize the window they have with Deshaun on a rookie deal. Fucking EVERYONE knows this but these clowns. ALSO EVERYONE KNOWS WE NEED IMMEDIATE HELP AT LT — NOT A PROJECT!!! I would rather have a 12 year old Madden player make decisions than the idiots we have. I’m in the major depression stage of grief, still have lots of rage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

This is the only answer.  

I’m not as upset at the pick as I am about being outmaneuvered and jumped for our target one pick away. It happens. All. The. Time. 

Garropolo. Lockett. Bridgewater. Our front office has the worst poker face in the NFL. 

But yeah, who the fuck knows how this guy turns out. He looks the part, and could have a mean streak that he uses to prove everyone wrong. Is it muuuuuch more likely he’s Davenport (not a 7th round flier, by the way IT - we took him in the 4th round) or Newton? Of course.  

But who the fuck knows? Other than we certainly had Dillard targeted and stolen right from under our noses. Per usual. 

I am giving you rep for this post even though you neg me for CR shit on non-CR posts. Why can’t we just get along PH?

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

Gaine better be on the phone all day today getting ready to trade up. Greedy, Murphy, Taylor, Little, and Risner all still available - we should trade up as soon as a 3-4 of those guys get picked and grab who's left. If we get one of those guys and then best CB/OT available at our other 2nd, I'd be happy with the first two rounds.

Very frustrating that we just sat there and got jumped for Dillard though

Edited by Tex-19

15 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:
These guys are saying exactly what I’m thinking. Landry Locker is drunk, pissed and depressed like I am

I hope you’re aware how little these guys know about all of this shit. Local radio clowns hated the Watt and Brown picks too (as did 90% of fans). They don’t know, you don’t know... but you’re gonna let it ruin your day or whatever?

Relax.

I don’t love the pick, FWIW.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

All the experts said the value in this draft is in Picks #25-80. Probably not many teams were looking to pay to move up to #23 unless they were hopping in front of someone else for a specific target. It would have been nice to move back 5-10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th, but I’m sure the fans would have crowed for not taking an OT at 23 or moving up to get one. There’s a lot of first round talent at the top of the 2nd (Taylor and Ford at OT, Greedy Williams at CB). Wonder what it would take to move up from #54 to somewhere around #35-40.

I dont love the pick - however, i'm not going to claim to have watched a second of Alabama St. film.     It is concerning that he is labeled a project and that i get the feeling that they are happy with the idea of "well at least no matter what he can be a guard"  

If I'm Cal, i would pull Brian and BOB into my office and ask them.

1.  Where on their board did they have the tackles rated.

2.  If there was a gap between Philly's new tackle and ours, i would know there was a process problem and that probably i don't have the right guy leading my team that would allow Philly to jump us for the guy we really wanted.

3.  If there was not a gap (one rated a 92 and one rated a 91.75 for example) then i will know if it doesn't work out that its an evaluation problem.

And as they walked out of my office, i would say simply "okay - you better be right., you will find i'm not nearly as forgiving as my dad was"

• Like 1

I have long been of the opinion that the Texans organization, at least as it relates to the football piece of it, runs completely the opposite of the way the Astros and Rockets run their "product" piece of the organization. As the Texans seem to fiddle while Rome burns, the Rockets have managed to consistently be in the discussion and were a Chris Paul injury away from the finals (and probably the championship) last year and are always looking to re-invent themselves. Everyone knows what the Astros have done in rebuilding the franchise and Jeff Luhnow and team seem to be lead innovators in MLB. Bob McNair may have been an innovator in business, but he and the Texans organization have always seemed to eschew innovation from a football perspective. Now that Bob is gone (RIP), not sure that Cal will run it any differently and based on what we saw Thursday night, the Cal/Brian Gaine era will be no different. We don't know if Tytus Howard will be a good pro, but my sense is he isn't ready to step in and play at even replacement level next year and could have been had lower in the draft. They got outfoxed by Philly on Dillard and the local media should absolutely harangue them about that. They won't, and the vast majority of the fanbase will still shell out dough to see mediocrity. In this regard, the Cowboys and Texans fanbases are pretty similar. Here's hoping the Astros make another October to remember so the Texans will be relegated to mere indifference by the city of Houston until November. Without JJ, Deshaun, and Nuke, this team would be the least interesting franchise by a country mile in the NFL. As it stands, they are only mildly interesting with those guys. 

I was amused at myself last night when they did the Texans season recap right before their pick.  Totally forgot that we lost the first 3, then won the next 9.  I had even forgot about the playoff game.  I guess that's when you know you have a "blah" team.  That, or I'm getting old and losing my memory.  

I mean, a lot of teams would gladly trade places with us. Our main concern right now is that we have been consistently winning the division but can’t do shit in the playoffs. Saying we’re the worst franchise or whatever is whack, especially basing it off a draft pick none of you are qualified to evaluate.

We’re not great, but we’re not terrible - from a PR or fan-centric perspective, we leave the world to be desired. We’re lukewarm, which sucks, but again, plenty of teams would swap.

Flame away

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 2

So the Texans have #54 and 55 picks today. As I sit here wondering about how much worse the Texans can bumble fuck this draft, I wonder has a team ever spent two draft picks on the same player? Some dipshit sends the same pick to the floor two times in row by mistake...?