2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which would be an upgrade to what we had last year. He was listed as the 5th best CB available in FA. Go sign another one, and draft at least one in the draft, hopefully Boyd.

Who's Boyd? As much as I will cheer for K. Boyd in the NFL, it will be much easier if he's playing for a team I don't root for.

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

That’s the Texans. A day and dollar short. There is no excuse for the Texans looking like the idiots they are. Look at the fucking Browns. That’s how you build a winner. I’d lay a grand on them winning a SB this year. FUCK CAL MCNAIR AND HIS FUCKING RACIST DAD. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not easy for the average fan to keep up with what are decent value signings or not with the salary cap growing as fast as it is.  I didn’t realize it’s now at $177m.  And don’t they have to spend 90% of it?   

Is that new? For the past 5 years, teams like Cleveland had been near the minimum and stockpiling cap space for the future (now).

This is the Texans time. Young good QB on rookie contract, defense and WR in their prime (or maybe almost past their prime). Building through value signings and hoping for a great draft aren’t the way to get a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

That’s the Texans. A day and dollar short. There is no excuse for the Texans looking like the idiots they are. Look at the fucking Browns. That’s how you build a winner. I’d lay a grand on them winning a SB this year. FUCK CAL MCNAIR AND HIS FUCKING RACIST DAD. 

Did you really just use the Browns as your example of building a winner??

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Is that new? For the past 5 years, teams like Cleveland had been near the minimum and stockpiling cap space for the future (now).

This is the Texans time. Young good QB on rookie contract, defense and WR in their prime (or maybe almost past their prime). Building through value signings and hoping for a great draft aren’t the way to get a Super Bowl. 

I'm far from a cap expert but can you explain how a team can stockpile cap space? I realize that they all employ accounting tricks but I don't believe they can drastically push back cap space for future years. And when Cleveland is listed as the example, any argument falls apart. This isn't the MLB where you can take your team down to Triple AAA level spending (Astros) and win a World Series a few year later.

As a former Texan season ticket holder, I gave up a long time hoping that the Texans do much right. Every owner wants to win a Super Bowl but it obvious that some owners have zero idea on how to do it. McNair fell into that camp. Luck plays a factor but when some teams remain at the top for more than a decade, it's more than luck. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

You mean the Browns under John Dorsey that stocked a motherlode of talent in his last stop in KC for Andy Reid. You bet your ass I am. The Browns are the clear favorite to win the AFC North. I’m excited for their fans. We here in Houston continue to suffer under poor ownership, horrible coaching and poor roster construction. The OL was the worst I have seen and O’Brien has never had a good offense in the NFL. Thank God for Tom Herman, Sam Ehlinger and the rest of the Horns. They’re going to save the fall football season. We will win 6 games next year with the way we’re going. Hopefully that’ll lead to O’Brien being fired finally.

• Like 3

The Texans are batshit stupid, when it comes building a team. But how the da fuck you look to the Browns for anything involving football sense? They haven’t won shit yet.

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You mean the Browns under John Dorsey that stocked a motherlode of talent in his last stop in KC for Andy Reid. You bet your ass I am. The Browns are the clear favorite to win the AFC North. I’m excited for their fans. We here in Houston continue to suffer under poor ownership, horrible coaching and poor roster construction. The OL was the worst I have seen and O’Brien has never had a good offense in the NFL. Thank God for Tom Herman, Sam Ehlinger and the rest of the Horns. They’re going to save the fall football season. We will win 6 games next year with the way we’re going. Hopefully that’ll lead to O’Brien being fired finally.

Let's be honest, the biggest reasons the Texans won the division were that Mariota can't stay healthy, Luck took a couple of months to get back into game shape, and Bortles fell off the cliff. Talent wise, the Texans probably have the worst roster in the South.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The Texans are batshit stupid, when it comes building a team. But how the da fuck you look to the Browns for anything involving football sense? They haven’t won shit yet.

and neither have the Texans, and the Texans had to give them 2 high level draft picks to recover from their stupidity.

• Like 1

Browns have John Dorsey and not Sashi Brown anymore. Look at what he’s done stockpiling talent and look at the talent he brought in KC. Fucker knows what he is doing. The only knock against him is that he might not take into account character guys and impact on locker room. Cal McNair just looks like he is stupid. Why did I hope things would be better

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm far from a cap expert but can you explain how a team can stockpile cap space? I realize that they all employ accounting tricks but I don't believe they can drastically push back cap space for future years. And when Cleveland is listed as the example, any argument falls apart. This isn't the MLB where you can take your team down to Triple AAA level spending (Astros) and win a World Series a few year later.

As a former Texan season ticket holder, I gave up a long time hoping that the Texans do much right. Every owner wants to win a Super Bowl but it obvious that some owners have zero idea on how to do it. McNair fell into that camp. Luck plays a factor but when some teams remain at the top for more than a decade, it's more than luck. 

I think a lot of the cap experts are hibernating during offseason. I was pissed last year (2017?) that they wasted a 2nd round pick to unload Osweiler’s salary, and then didn’t do anything with it. WTF? You just traded a #2 for $20M with no intention but savings in Mr. McNair’s pocket? I thought if they didn’t sign a FA, they could restructure Hopkins, Watt, Clowney, Duane brown, whoever to give them more money then and less money later, freeing up space for FAs in future seasons. I was told that unused cap space rolls over to the next year. There are minimums for each year, and a maximum if there is no rolled over space. Or so I was told. 

It appears you are allowed to roll over cap indefinitely.

The Texans have an additional $18.8M they can use on contracts, so that puts their total cap space at $207M. They do have to spend 89% of the cap, but that only applies to the $188.2M NFL cap. So if they spent only $167.498M, they could roll over something like $39.502 towards next year.

It appears right now the Texans are at $165M in contracts, I'm not sure with that includes yesterday's signings, but it would appear they have plenty of money to spend, but at the same time, the should consider continue to roll over money for when Watson's contract needs to get redone.

Spoiler

Tashaun Gipson, S, Houston Texans

The deal: Three years, $22.5 million with $11.3 million guaranteed at signing
Grade: B

If the Texans were going to lose Tyrann Mathieu, Gipson at nearly half of the price is a good fallback plan. It was a bit of a surprise when the Jaguars cut the 28-year-old safety, especially because they cut fellow starter Barry Church in midseason from what had been the league's most dominant secondary the previous season.

Gipson made his name in Cleveland as a ball hawk after intercepting 11 passes in 27 games from 2013-14, but even given legitimate ball skills, he hasn't been able to keep up that interception rate. He has just eight picks over the ensuing 61 games, although he did knock away seven passes in each of the past two seasons. He also didn't miss a game during his three years in Jacksonville, so for a sturdy, above-average veteran safety, the Texans came away with a good price given the rest of the market. If Gipson can spike a five-interception season during the deal, even better.

Spoiler

Bradley Roby, CB, Houston Texans

The deal: One year, $10 million
Grade: B

With the Texans losing Kareem Jackson to free agency and Johnathan Josephturning 35 next month, Houston needed to address its cornerback situation. In part, that's because it doesn't trust the cornerback it invested in last offseason, since Aaron Colvin ended the season as a healthy scratch in the playoff loss to the Colts. You have to figure the Texans will try to restore Colvin to the slot corner role in 2019, but they needed to find at least one cornerback this offseason.

I like the addition of Roby, who looked to be one of the league's most promising young cornerbacks before a frustrating 2018. I would have preferred the Texans to come away with at least an option year to go with this one-year pact, but the $10 million price tag is reasonable for a 26-year-old cornerback who has missed just one game in five seasons and looked to be ascending for most of his career.

Edited by HtownHorn

59 minutes ago, msbesq said:

The secondary now looks solid enough but the OL still looks like crap. Only addressing it through the draft gets DW killed for two plus years.

If by solid, you mean "now we at least have enough players to field a team" then sure.  But as it currently stands, even after these signings, the secondary is still the second biggest weakness on the team.  We desperately need at least one more starting-caliber CB.

But yes, it is indefensible to not sign any OL help.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

re: the browns.  i agree i like what they're doing because they're being aggressive and going for it while they have their qb on his rookie contract, not that different from how winning mlb teams are being built right now.  will it work?  who the f knows, but they're trying.

we have deshaun in the same situation, as well as legit stars on both sides of the ball.  if we don't make 2-3 more moves in free agency, we're gonna have to draft perfectly and get lucky.  not likely.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Teams have to spend 89% of the total cap in cash (not in cap hit), but this is aggregated over a 4-year period.  The first one was from 2013-2017, and the one we’re currently in runs through the next 3 years.  Any cap space you have at the end of a season carries over to the next; Cleveland essentially has a $56MM credit in salary this year because they were that amount under the cap at the end of the season.  

Ultimately the Browns will have to spend up to the 89% number, but they’ll have until the end of next year to do that.  This is why the Brock Osweiler deal two years ago made sense for them; they essentially ate $9MM (or whatever the number was) of guaranteed salary for a player they had no intention of keeping because ultimately they have to spend up to a certain amount anyway.  In exchange, they got a 2nd round pick and gave up a 7th, just because the league wouldn’t let Houston trade Asswiper and a 2nd rounder for literally nothing.

You can’t do this kind of deal in the NBA because the combined salaries have to be within a given percentage of each other, but In the NFL it’s fine you just have to find a team that knows they’re tanking for a couple of years with plenty of cap space.

Edited by Ignatius

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I think a lot of the cap experts are hibernating during offseason. I was pissed last year (2017?) that they wasted a 2nd round pick to unload Osweiler’s salary, and then didn’t do anything with it. WTF? You just traded a #2 for $20M with no intention but savings in Mr. McNair’s pocket? I thought if they didn’t sign a FA, they could restructure Hopkins, Watt, Clowney, Duane brown, whoever to give them more money then and less money later, freeing up space for FAs in future seasons. I was told that unused cap space rolls over to the next year. There are minimums for each year, and a maximum if there is no rolled over space. Or so I was told. 

The Texans made that deal because they were trying to free up space to either sign Tony Romo or trade for Jimmy Garrapolo.  

Are Gipson and Roby slow?

That is one issue the Texans had to address... Safeties were slow AF.

If the CBs weren't perfect, it was a wrap. You can't put 25mm a year in slow Safeties because they can really to the ball on run plays and crossing routes...

The Texans were ass on deep balls and TE seam routes. Bringing back Badger and Jackson meant losing to the Colts 2x for certain.

II don't even kniw 2019 schedule, but I bet there are at 3-4 above average QB/WR or QB/TE combos... Not including Luck/TY 2x.

Draft class for OL is really deep but we should sign at least one for help/depth

D.J. Fluker, Mike Iupati, Kendall Lamm, John Miller, Jeremy Parnell, Ryan Schraeder all still available.

At this point we pretty much have to take 2 OLs and a CB with three of first four picks. Sucks being locked into draft parameters like that and losing flexibility to make “best player available” type picks.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

You’d think winning would factor in at that point. You’d think the McNairs would have been humbled by now by the mediocrity of this franchise. Instead, they have the hubris to think the “Texans Way” is successful when it isn’t. They think they’re the Patriots. The rest of the league laughs at this franchise. Ownership does not have the fanaticism, intelligence and cajones to do whatever it takes to bring Htown a SB that we all crave.

Browns are going to have a better season than we will. Mark it down that I called it on March 14 and remember it when we muddle below .500 next season. I can see them making the AFC Championship game. No joke. Dorsey is taking risks and maximizing the talent while Baker is on a rookie deal. The Browns have a shit ton of talent. We wasted JJ’s career prime. We’re doing the same with Nuuk and DW4. The Texans have pissed me off and frustrated me more and given me less happy moments than the Oilers, Rockets and Astros combined and I’m in my 40s and had my heart broken by the Oilers. I’d rather have Bud and the Oilers any day of the week than this Wonderbread, boring, conservative bullshit that the McNairs are feeding us. I’m still here because I love football and it’s my diversion from real life. Thank God for Tom Herman, Sam Ehlinger and the rest of the Horns. They will provide a break from O’Brien ball. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Browns are going to have a better season than we will. Mark it down that I called it on March 14 and remember it when we muddle below .500 next season.

i'm happy to mark this down, but i don't think this would be an upset at this point.  i would assume both of our o/u would be around 8.5 or 9.  the browns are probably current favorites to win their shitty division.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:45 AM, Sleepygrad said:

Have you not been paying any attention? They have a highly successful rookie QB, one of the best WR duos in the entire NFL, a stout OL, a very talented young TE, Chubb/Hunt at RB and they added Sheldon Richardson/ Olivier Vernon. They finished 7-8-1 despite beginning the season with the 2nd worst coach in NFL history sabotaging their efforts. The Browns have some primo talent on offense and their additions on defense will greatly improve that unit. If they don't finish Top 5 in offense scoring/yards they underachieved.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chad said:

Have you not been paying any attention? They have a highly successful rookie QB, one of the best WR duos in the entire NFL, a stout OL, a very talented young TE, Chubb/Hunt at RB and they added Sheldon Richardson/ Olivier Vernon. They finished 7-8-1 despite beginning the season with the 2nd worst coach in NFL history sabotaging their efforts. The Browns have some primo talent on offense and their additions on defense will greatly improve that unit. If they don't finish Top 5 in offense scoring/yards they underachieved.

Yes, I'm aware of the pieces they've assembled, but how can you say they're a winner? What have they won exactly?

It was more a commentary about the state of the browns over the past 20 yrs and how anyone can use them as as an example of a winner, but my question still stands. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Yes, I'm aware of the pieces they've assembled, but how can you say they're a winner? What have they won exactly?

It was more a commentary about the state of the browns over the past 20 yrs and how anyone can use them as as an example of a winner, but my question still stands. 

Turning a team around from 0-16 to 7-8-1 despite an 8 game Hue Jackson handicap shows they're  on the verge of becoming winners and no longer rebuilding. They added one of the best receivers in the game and one of the best running backs to compliment what they already have in place and had a strong free agency overall. With a solid draft they're going to become winners in 2019, no longer a laughing stock.

• Like 1