Top 16 Big 12 Bowl Victories

CowtownHorn

Been thinking about this list since the Sugar Bowl victory the other night. It’s some weird combination of national championship and mix of caliber of opponent defeated and upset/shock factor. Just my opinion. 

1. 2006 Rose - #2 Texas 41 #1 USC 38

2. 2001 Orange - #1 Oklahoma 13 #2 Florida State 2

3. 1998 Orange - #2 Nebraska 41 #3 Tennessee 21

4. 2019 Sugar - #15 Texas 28 #5 Georgia 21

5. 2014 Sugar - #11 Oklahoma 45 #3 Alabama 31

6. 2008 Orange - #8 Kansas 24 #3 Virginia Tech 21

7. 2012 Fiesta - #3 Oklahoma State 41 #4 Stanford 38

8. 2000 Fiesta - #3 Nebraska 31 #5 Tennessee 21

9. 2003 Rose - #7 Oklahoma 34 #6 Washington State 14

10. 1996 Orange - #6 Nebraska 42 #9 Virginia Tech 17

11. 2014 Peach - #6 TCU 42 #9 Ole Miss 3

12. 2009 Fiesta - #3 Texas 24 #10 Ohio State 21

13. 2005 Rose - #4 Texas 38 #13 Michigan 37

14. 1997 Fiesta - #10 Kansas State 35 #14 Syracuse 18

15. 2017 Sugar - #7 Oklahoma 35 #14 Auburn 19

16. 2011 Fiesta - #7 Oklahoma 48 NR (LOL) Connecticut 20

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

2005 Rose Bowl all the way down at #13?

Everything else seems legit.

I guess just based on Michigan’s ranking. I should have factored in quality of game, but I couldn’t remember a lot of those non-Texas wins.

Edited by CowtownHorn

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That KU Orange Bowl feels way older than ten years.

what a hell of a coaching job that was by Mangino.  F'n Kansas was a badass team, had DB Talib iirc. 

Truly one of the best single year coaching achievements of ALL TIME.  I'm still in awe of that performance. 

Edited by NowThis
  • Like 1

The 2008 Orange belongs at No.4. KU in an Orange Bowl, let alone winning it against third-ranked VaTech, still staggers the mind.
Mangino is easy to ridicule, but what he was able to do in Lawrence was just short of a miracle.

What a crazy time that was

To this day I pull up the 2014 Peach Bowl and rewatch for pure entertainment value. Watching TCU suffocate and literally beat the shit out of Bo Wallace and the secsecsec was a thing of beauty. Bo gathering his troops and reminding them they were the sec like that was going to change the course of the game was icing on the cake. TCU was in the exact same spot Georgia was this year, ranked #5 on the outside looking in. Except TCU was ranked #3 the last week of the regular schedule and didn't have a 13th data point to keep teams from leap frogging them. They took their game as an opportunity to give the college football playoff committee a big fuck you.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Wasn't Rose Bowl. Cal didn't care. /s

Like Georgia, Cal apparently wanted to prove to the committee that they didn't belong...

They barely had a competent 3rd corner/5th DB.  Much less a guy to play dime.  Tech was a nightmare matchup for Cal.

Edited by sushihorn

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

objectively, i think ou's sugar bowl win over bama should be just ahead of ours against georgia.  that was a huge performance.

i'd also put our 2005 rose bowl ahead of the 2009 fiesta bowl.  to me, that's our #2 bowl win in the big 12 era.

cool thread/premise though.

No because fuck OU

Move that ou - Washington State Rose Bowl down a number of notches. Washington State was nothing special at all and only got the Rose Bowl bid because the Orange took USC.

Game did not even sell out.

Oh.. and as a not so interesting aside.. two of the three co-Grand Marshals of the Rose Parade that year were .... Bill Cosby and ... Fred Rogers, from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

I bet they could have had some interesting conversations.

Further proof that ou's bowl record is in part built on luck and less than stellar opponents. Their only national championship in THIRTY-THREE (33) years came against an underwhelming Florida State team in Stoops 2nd year. Their BCS wins include over an over-rated Washington State team and an unranked UConn team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sdm said:

To this day I pull up the 2014 Peach Bowl and rewatch for pure entertainment value. Watching TCU suffocate and literally beat the shit out of Bo Wallace and the secsecsec was a thing of beauty. Bo gathering his troops and reminding them they were the sec like that was going to change the course of the game was icing on the cake. TCU was in the exact same spot Georgia was this year, ranked #5 on the outside looking in. Except TCU was ranked #3 the last week of the regular schedule and didn't have a 13th data point to keep teams from leap frogging them. They took their game as an opportunity to give the college football playoff committee a big fuck you.

Agree.  This win and the 2011 Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin when TCU was in the MWC are a testament to Patterson's teams being bowl ready when they take the field. 

15 hours ago, Whitman said:

Can I add a Fiesta Bowl loss to my Mountaineers with Sam Bradford face down on the turf?

WESTVIRGINIALOSS.png

This was better than the Boise game IMO because the OU team that played Boise had former WR Paul Thompson as their QB IIRC and I think they were 8-4 in the regular season.  That team wasn't very good by OU standards.

The loss against WV was way more shocking since OU had Bradford, Iglesias, Johnson and Gresham and were a pretty damn good squad.

20 hours ago, sdm said:

That post-season was something. TCU boatraced Ole Miss, Georgia Tech ran up the score on Mississippi State, and then Ohio State upset Alabama in NOLA. All three of the SEC's best lost.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

That post-season was something. TCU boatraced Ole Miss, Georgia Tech ran up the score on Mississippi State, and then Ohio State upset Alabama in NOLA. All three of the SEC's best lost.

The butthurt from SEC fans on Finebaums show after that was quite amazing.

23 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

It wasn't in a major, major bowl, but Tech over #4 Cal in 2004 seems like it is more deserving than an OU win over an unranked UConn

I was scrolling through to make sure someone said this.  That Tech over Cal was a big win.  Fuck Cal.  Also fuck Tech, but fuck Cal more.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They obviously had a tough time finding OU bowl wins for the list. They're pretty infrequent.

blOU made our conference look like a joke. Knowing their propensity for choking in the post-season, the media favouring them over us in 2008 is all the more mystifying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

blOU made our conference look like a joke. Knowing their propensity for choking in the post-season, the media favouring them over us in 2008 is all the more mystifying.

They knew Texas would have stomped Tebow and the Gators.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Good list.

I might put OSU's beatdown of #9 Colorado in the '16 Alamo Bowl somewhere around the bottom of the list.   That was a 10-win Colorado team that was favored over us and we ran them off the field, 38-8.   (And it really wasn't even that close).

Yeah another good one to add to the list. I was just thinking of major bowl games when I made the list. Should have called it “Top 16 Big 12 Major Bowl Victores.” Because there have been some damn good non-major wins too.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Good list.

I might put OSU's beatdown of #9 Colorado in the '16 Alamo Bowl somewhere around the bottom of the list.   That was a 10-win Colorado team that was favored over us and we ran them off the field, 38-8.   (And it really wasn't even that close).

Good win.  If that were a NY Day bowl it makes the top 10 easily.  Even as an Alamo Bowl match up it deserves a spot.

• Like 1