Texas recruiting notes 2019

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've got no problem with an intelligent person like CDC paying attention himself and offering critiques if required.

I have no issue with CDC offering critiques if required. Or as Fud said above, "asking high level questions about performance". 

But I would be surprised if there are many ADs in the country that have an understanding of the recruiting landscape or system fit when it comes to making assistant hires. Do you really think CDC has an understanding of "hey Beaty would be a good hire for the DFW market" or "hey X assistant would be a good system fit for the power spread"?

Athletic director's have other shit they have to worry about so it's not a shot at their intelligence as much as they aren't nearly involved enough to make informed decisions. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I have no issue with CDC offering critiques if required. Or as Fud said above, "asking high level questions about performance". 

But I would be surprised if there are many ADs in the country that have an intricate understanding of the recruiting landscape or system fit when it comes to making assistant hires. Do you really think CDC has an understanding of "hey Beaty would be a good hire for the DFW market" or "hey X assistant would be a good system fit for the power spread"?

Athletic director's have other shit they have to worry about so it's not a criticism of their intelligence as much as they aren't nearly involved enough to make informed decisions. 

They don't have to have *that* level. But I'm perfectly fine with a guy being at OUR level of attentive, and you know what, that's often enough to understand what's going on and be effective. I don't subscribe to the "ADs have too much shit to worry about" nonsense that they can't have the time or wherewithal to have an informed opinion on basic scheme and recruiting. We all do that, except we fucking do it for free and still manage to hold down our jobs, and in the case of some of you clowns, probably excel in those jobs and are actually successful people. 

But some of you fucks are clearly on government assistance and huff gasoline. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But I'm perfectly fine with a guy being at OUR level of attentive, and you know what, that's often enough to understand what's going on and be effective. 

There is no shot that CDC is as attentive as we are when it comes to recruiting or system fit with assistants. 

Again, that's not a shot at CDC or other ADs. But let's be honest, some of us are addicted to this shit. We follow recruiting closely on a daily basis. That doesn't mean we are some type of genius when it comes to this stuff but we definitely put in more hours than somebody like CDC. 

Maybe I'm underselling CDC here but I would be shocked if he even had a minimal understanding of the recruiting market in Texas when it comes to football. 

Edited by texasstrong12

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I definitely disagree with this take, with the caveat of the person involved. It's another version of the "Yoor nawt a c0rch" shit that is also fucking stupid. There are plenty of ADs that operate the way you suggest, but if a bunch of us fucktards on a recruiting website can talk about good and bad moves in the recruiting landscape, understanding the different hires and players and expectations, I've got no problem with an intelligent person like CDC paying attention himself and offering critiques if required. Plenty of successful CEOs come from marketing or other areas of expertise, but they can look at a failing manufacturing division with diminished year over year returns compared to competitors, and make sound decisions that changes need to be made. And really successful CEOs from technical backgrounds can become CEO's and still oversee good marketing campaigns. If the guy is smart and doesn't have blinders on like a narcissistic head coach might, he can butt right the fuck in for all I care. But you're just perpetuating the "coaches as experts" being the same thing as "coaches are really smart and don't make mistakes." That's not how this, or any facet of life works. 

By the same token, micromanaging bosses can be nightmares, and some folks might not want to work for one. But there's not black and white, that's fucking stupid. 

And then some CEOs simply sit on their couch in their underwear, play video games, and collect checks. To each their own, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There is no shot that CDC is as attentive as we are when it comes to recruiting or system fit with assistants. 

Again, that's not a shot at CDC or other ADs. But let's be honest, some of us are addicted to this shit. We follow recruiting closely on a daily basis. That doesn't mean we are some type of genius when it comes to this stuff but we definitely put in more hours than somebody like CDC. 

Maybe I'm underselling CDC here but I would be shocked if he even had a minimal understanding of the recruiting market in Texas when it comes to football. 

If there is a recruiting problem, I am sure CDC hears from the many big time boosters that are addicted to this shit. If 5 of his biggest DFW boosters complain about Herman's poor recruiting in the metroplex, I imagine CDC will ask Herman about it...or CDC could also be addicted to this shit and get pissed that we Giles'ed away another elite DL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

What're you basing this on? That his job is just sooooo much bigger than any of ours that he can't possibly find the time? "Somebody like CDC" what does that even mean? Is this hero-worship, or what? Listen, this shit is directly tied to his own success at Texas, his ability to have success at Texas in terms of finances, and he seems like a sharp fellow in general. On top of that, Mack Fucking Brown read the boards and his press clippings incessantly and constantly, and had fucking GAs do it for him as well. I just don't accept the premise that an intelligent guy can't spend some time following this shit (and might even enjoy it) when it is directly tied into his own success in many ways. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Again, that's not a shot at CDC or other ADs. But let's be honest, some of use are addicted to this shit. We follow recruiting closely on a daily basis. That doesn't mean we are some type of genius when it comes to this stuff but we definitely put in more hours than somebody like CDC. 

Understanding the background, rep, performance, and forte of assistant coaches in the athletic department's primary revenue sport is a core component to an AD's role. That's not micromanaging or crowding out the HC. I can't imagine managing a large team under any condition in which I don't have a strong understanding of the core competencies and responsibilities of key support staff the level below my lieutenants. This translates across industries and athletics is no different.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hi from Ireland.

@texasstrong12 pretty much nailed it. How much of that is Longo (who's done a terrific job with Ta'amu and often made the most of Ole Miss' really disjointed roster) and how much is Matt Luke having the mental capacity of the Ajax Diner turnip dip is up for serious debate.

Longo ran it up on the Sisters of the Poor and really struggled against defenses that had a pulse.  And that was with tons of talent.  They could easily have 3 1st round picks in this year's draft off that offense.

Edited by Don Johnson

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've never known anyone like that, personally. 

Well, I have, and he was one difficult mess of a dufus to deal with on an ongoing basis. I also know a former one who took a bunch of other peoples' money and did nothing with it for four years while "perfecting" technology he was building in his apartment's living room. Come to think of it, I've known some really sad and disturbing examples of CEOs, but I digress.

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

If you really dive in and look and Longo, you see that he ran it up on the Sisters of the Poor and really struggled against defenses that had a pulse.  And that was with tons of talent.  They could easily have 3 1st round picks in this year's draft off that offense.

Yeah, they have a lot of high-end talent for a team of that caliber (obviously, we know the circumstances behind that). Greg Little, Lodge, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Ta'amu are all good players, although Ta'amu and Metcalf were injured for some of the games.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I just don't accept the premise that an intelligent guy can't spend some time following this shit (and might even enjoy it) when it is directly tied into his own success in many ways. 

Do you really think CDC spends the amount of time we spend following recruiting, assistant hires, and so on? Or more importantly the amount of time coaches spend following recruiting, assistant hires, and so on. 

Maybe he could prioritize more time towards these things like you suggest. Who knows. I don't think he would ever prioritize enough time to reach the "attentive" level we have or even most coaches. 

So maybe I do agree with your caveat of "the right person". If CDC has an extensive knowledge of the recruiting base and system fit with assistants I would probably be cool with him intervening. But again, we are probably going to agree to disagree on how informed AD's are when it comes to this stuff. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, I have, and he was one difficult mess of a dufus to deal with on an ongoing basis. I also know a former one who took a bunch of other peoples' money and did nothing with it for four years while "perfecting" technology he was building in his apartment's living room. Come to think of it, I've known some really sad and disturbing examples of CEOs, but I digress.

I feel like you're projecting here. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

My point is that this process is more complex than your post indicated.  I never rejoined with the premise "Herman Got This, Yo" and intimation that I did further supports my description of your post as hyperbole (or, I suppose, fallacious black and white thinking).  In fact, my post pointed out numerous places in the hiring process where he has royally screwed the pooch and valued things unimportant.

And we can both agree that sideline shots of Herman do not inspire a ton of confidence.  I would suggest nonplussed as an apt descriptor.

Even so, it does not mean that the entirety of Herman's tenure, his decision-making, or his future as a coach will be entirely nonplussed.  Instead, he's shown some signs that he can identify and mend prior errors while showing in other places the tendency to double down on prior bad decisions.  Let's see what he does this offseason.

Tl; dr--Humans are complex.

I've got a lot going on and this thread today has attempted to traverse more complicated terrain than my brain currently has space for, so I'm not sure if I've got enough energy to keep this dialogue going.

My view is that Herman woefully underestimated the scope of the role at Texas, and that he's been in over his head for the entirety of his time at the school, particularly on the personnel end. He's perhaps ratcheting up the learning curve and he's young, so I'm not writing him off. I do think he made idiotic hires coming through the door, he's done everything in his power to protect and defend those hires, and those hires have harmed his progression as head of the football org. That's brings me back to the point I made, which is that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

You call that hyperbole, I guess, but it's how I feel. I don't personally live in fear of doing battle with Herman in game theory, after watching his decision-making over the last two years on and off the field, or a fucking spelling bee or a trig test for that matter. Is he more complex than that? Meh. He's flailing at a core element of his job right now, and though you may faith in that changing, it isn't changed until it is. And like I said, thinking that anything is a given with Meh and Shithime being gone is incorrect at this time.

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Do you really think CDC spends the amount of time we spend following recruiting, assistant hires, and so on? Or more importantly the amount of time coaches spend following recruiting, assistant hires, and so on. 

Maybe he could prioritize more time towards these things like you suggest. Who knows. I don't think he would ever prioritize enough time to reach the "attentive" level we have or even most coaches. 

So maybe I do agree with your caveat of "the right person". If CDC has an extensive knowledge of the recruiting base and system fit with assistants I would probably be cool with him intervening. But again, we are probably going to agree to disagree on how informed AD's are when it comes to this stuff. 

It's your position that the Athletic Director does not have a firm understanding of the competencies of the 10 assistant coaches for the sport that represents the largest source of revenue by an exponential+ margin for the country's richest athletic program? It's ten people. Of course he knows who is performing above, at, or below expectations. And is it also your position that the AD does not pay close attention to the quality of the athletes that will be on the field for the next four years? Seriously?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It's your position that the Athletic Director does not have a firm understanding of the competencies of the 10 assistant coaches for the sport that represents the largest source of revenue by an exponential+ margin for the country's richest athletic program? It's ten people. Of course he knows who is performing above, at, or below expectations. And is it also your position that the AD does not pay close attention to the quality of the athletes that will be on the field for the next four years? Seriously?

That isn't my position at all. Of course he has a basic understanding of what's happening with the staff and athletes on the field. Like Fud said above, I'm sure there's dialogue going on between Herman and CDC. 

So no that isn't my position at all. Knowing what's happening internally with a program is not my point at all. 

Edited by texasstrong12