Texas recruiting notes 2019

Holy mother of fuck Surly. What the fuck? I go on some shitty work travel and come back to the goddamn beating that is this fucking thread? Mother of fuck. Chill the fuck out. 

I'm not happy about the Leal thing but it is early. Aggy is going to have to grab and hold on to guys because their season will be what it will be - 7 or 8 wins but some weeks where they will be non-competitive. They are going to get guys because they are in the 1st year bounce. A least of couple of those guys were quoted as saying they were afraid of the large class at Texas last year. Fuck that shit.  Yes, Jordan Patterson is the guy that has been recruiting himself to Texas and yes he is fucking good. Also of note, EJ brought his grades to this convo but they are nowhere near as dire as say Josh Ellison or some shit. Don't listen to fucking EJ. 

The Cal RB is being brought in because he is a scheme fit. Now they will see if he's a cultural fit. Get used to it. This staff will never stop recruiting at and over any position. If they see a player that is a scheme and cultural fit they'll bring him in. The same reason you'll see full classes every year. You won't see any smaller classes until the roster is at a championship level and even then, if a player is a fit and can contribute then he'll be recruited. We are going to see some turnover after the fall and spring every year. 

This weekend is going to be a good one but this staff is not pushing for fauxmentum or early commits. OU has used 17 of their 56 OVs already, Aggy 14 of 56. That is fucking huge because OU and Aggy have taken the very early approach to this cycle. I'd imagine that both are going to wish that they had paced themselves a bit here. Texas, Clemson, Alabama, and USC are holding back on OVs - taking the opposite approach. After seeing the rush last season between NSD1 and NSD2, I think it's clear that the teams that hold enough OVs to host huge events between the bowl games and signing day are going to have a lot of leverage to complete their classes with talent and not bread. 

Texas is going to sign a badass class in 2019. There are going to be some quotes from the past few pages that texifornia can pull up for the lulz in Feb. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Texas is going to sign a badass class in 2019. There are going to be some quotes from the past few pages that texifornia can pull up for the lulz in Feb. 

We could probably create an entire satyanash/sarvanaash meltdown thread by then.

Alright, here's the running list of visitors for the spring game, courtesy of IT:

By: IT Staff

AUSTIN -- Texas is set to host a number of top targets for its annual Orange-White scrimmage. We have the current list and names are being added daily. Here's the latest.

* denotes maybe

Grad transfer candidates
RB Tre Watson, Cal

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) - TEXAS
RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)
TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX)
OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX)
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Allen (Allen, TX)
OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX)
OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX)
DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX)
DE Zach Williams, Joe T. Robinson (Little Rock, AR)
LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) - TEXAS
*LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX)
LB Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA)
LB Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis (Richmond, TX)
CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX)
*S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX)
ATH Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX) - TEXAS
ATH Rashad Wisdom, Judson (Converse, TX)

RB Zacahary Evans, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)
*WR Demond Demas, North Forest (Houston, TX)
WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX)
WR Collin Sullivan, Round Rock High (Round Rock, TX)
OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX)
DE Alec Bryant, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)
*CB Dwight McGlothern, New Caney (New Caney, TX)
S Darius Snow, Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
ATH Khalan Griffin, John Tyler (Tyler, TX)

Just now, Machinator said:

We could probably create an entire satyanash/sarvanaash meltdown thread by then.

Let's not limit it to Satya. Bruh man has some pretty great ones too dating back to NSD 2017, at least.  Hell, the entire three pages after the Leal news broke last weekend would be great additions.

To me, it's almost more disappointing that Leal cancelled on our spring game than the actual commitment. Getting guys on campus at the same time so that they can form bonds and start picturing themselves playing together is incredibly powerful. I'm sure we'll try to bring him in for our big weekend on 5/4, but as of right now that's not nearly as big a group and most of those guys will be on officials. Hope Whittington keeps his F-250 gassed up.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Alright, here's the running list of visitors for the spring game, courtesy of IT:

Hide contents

By: IT Staff

AUSTIN -- Texas is set to host a number of top targets for its annual Orange-White scrimmage. We have the current list and names are being added daily. Here's the latest.

* denotes maybe

Grad transfer candidates
RB Tre Watson, Cal

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) - TEXAS
RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)
TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX)
OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX)
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Allen (Allen, TX)
OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX)
OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX)
DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX)
DE Zach Williams, Joe T. Robinson (Little Rock, AR)
LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) - TEXAS
*LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX)
LB Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA)
LB Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis (Richmond, TX)
CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX)
*S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX)
ATH Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX) - TEXAS
ATH Rashad Wisdom, Judson (Converse, TX)

RB Zacahary Evans, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)
*WR Demond Demas, North Forest (Houston, TX)
WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX)
WR Collin Sullivan, Round Rock High (Round Rock, TX)
OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX)
DE Alec Bryant, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)
*CB Dwight McGlothern, New Caney (New Caney, TX)
S Darius Snow, Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
ATH Khalan Griffin, John Tyler (Tyler, TX)

Seen anything on Higgins? I have him on my list but that news is very old.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i5Kk5NNdAVIc_sGJSDovph0VSmwrJuCcFufuvCDnJ5g/edit#gid=0

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

To me, it's almost more disappointing that Leal cancelled on our spring game than the actual commitment. Getting guys on campus at the same time so that they can form bonds and start picturing themselves playing together is incredibly powerful. I'm sure we'll try to bring him in for our big weekend on 5/4, but as of right now that's not nearly as big a group and most of those guys will be on officials. Hope Whittington keeps his F-250 gassed up.

Did Leal ever say that he was coming to the spring game in the first place?

9 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I like Leal as a prospect. I had dreams of a D-line of Leal - Coburn - Mojo - Ossai 

i have a lot of faith in Herman as a recruiter. i think we find our way back into this one.

Since you're here, do you still feel good about Wilson?

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Now that you say that, I don't recall him saying that, but I DO seem to remember it being reported that he cancelled when the news leaked that he was going to commit to aggy. This shit moves to fast for my slow brain to keep up with everything.

1.) Fed Ex package arrived at uncle’s house on Monday.  

2.)  Uncle visits an unnamed Ford dealership and picked out a certain model of full size truck on Tuesday.  

3.) Wednesday player commits to university.  

4.) After season starts, player decommits from previous university.  

5.) Player waits a week or two after decommitment to save face, then commits to the flagship university of the state of Texas.  

6.) Unnamed internet board poster from previously committed school bitches about an old bastard named uncle red.

7.) Player is happy that he gets opportunity to receive a real education and play for championship.  Mom is happy that her vertigo won’t be affected during games.  Uncle is happy with new truck.  

8.) Surly collects money and sends new jar to original school after it is knocked over during the calamity.

The End

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Now that you say that, I don't recall him saying that, but I DO seem to remember it being reported that he cancelled when the news leaked that he was going to commit to aggy. This shit moves to fast for my slow brain to keep up with everything.

What happened was someone from TFB (Super K, I think) asked if Leal was going to visit Texas again despite his impending commit to A&M. His mom said yes, but not the spring game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He did not.  But I thought I remember reading something about him still planning on visiting.  Let's see if Jimball is going to squash it.

Edited by nycHorn
The Machine beat me to it.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What happened was someone from TFB (Super K, I think) asked if Leal was going to visit Texas again despite his impending commit to A&M. His mom said yes, but not the spring game.

Well that's better. Did she give a reason?

Sucks about Leal.  Seems like every year there's a player we presumably lead for that has a one visit turnaround and commit to another place.  It happens. The writing is on the wall for Garrett Wilson as well. As soon as that drops we can move on to the positive for the rest of the cycle. 

36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The same reason you'll see full classes every year. You won't see any smaller classes until the roster is at a championship level and even then, if a player is a fit and can contribute then he'll be recruited. We are going to see some turnover after the fall and spring every year. 

To be clear, you'll still have to have a small class every three or so classes if you're taking big classes, per math 

I think as a program we are finally at the cusp where we go out and win 9/10 games this year and get back to the steady top 7 classes or have what happened last year and start the Charlie demise. I am glad we finally got to this cusp as Charlie never did. 

For some reason, I don't see leal flipping back. No sources but just my guess based on what I've read and following recruiting for a while. But, I do think we will land a d lineman that will make losing him much more bearable-most likely someone OOS. 

Like most, I am pissed and would love to hear the full story. And yes, it's not over especially with some commits this weekend and a solid spring game where beck falls from the box. 

11 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Some of you disappoint me.  You really think all of this pressure early will pay off if Jimbo has a shitty season?  The recruiting season is long and full of terrors. 

giphy.gif

I actually do kinda think that the quality of their season is pretty unimportant, unless they totally crater and go 3-9 or something. Our season last year was the definition of mediocre and the only decommits we had were OOS guys that were all flaky from the get-go.

Our staff doesn't take no for an answer, of course, and if we have a nice season I think it'll turn some heads, but I don't think we'll see an exodus from aggy specifically because they go 7-6 or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

To be clear, you'll still have to have a small class every three or so classes if you're taking big classes, per math 

yeah. Once the roster is fully turned over - every 3 or 4 years (depending on JR to the NFL and number of RS) you'll get a class of 16-18. Having said that, I don't think we'd see that until at least 2022. 

I think most people aren't upset that we lost a highly-rated recruit to A&M, I think it's the way it went down. All signs had him picking us until last weekend hit and everything went 180.

Isn't he the one who moved up that OV to a&m or am I thinking of someone else? Either way I'd love to hear what sold him on aggy. 

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

yeah. Once the roster is fully turned over - every 3 or 4 years (depending on JR to the NFL and number of RS) you'll get a class of 16-18. Having said that, I don't think we'd see that until at least 2022. 

It has more to do with the 25 man counter rule than the 85 scholarship rule. If you're taking 27-29 for a couple of years straight, you'll need a ~20 to reset it at some point, like what Bama had to do this past year